• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best restaurant in the world is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know. I love eating, cooking, reading about cooking and everything but personally I can't get behind the concept of expensive tongue-teasing like this. I guess it's like with difference between music lovers and audiophiles. I would try one of those mini-meal menus for a lower price, though, just to see what all the foam is about.

kottila

I don't know. I love eating, cooking, reading about cooking and everything but personally I can't get behind the concept of expensive tongue-teasing like this. I guess it's like with difference between music lovers and audiophiles. I would try one of those mini-meal menus for a lower price, though, just to see what all the foam is about.

I've had michelin food for under 50£ in London. 7 dishes and I've never been fuller in my life. If you're getting 20 dishes they can't be that substantial.

Micerider

Well, fine dinner should be more considered as an "experience", it's not the food that you are eating everyday, and it's probably not the one you WANT to eat everyday. The approach is rather to make you discover tastes or alchemy of tastes, all that in an environment to fit the experience.

I'm not willing to pay more than 50 Euros for a regular menu (whatever the quality), which is already leaving plenty of space to consider high-end dinner quality with a bit of gastronomy in it. But I'm certainly willing to go in the hundreds to find a truely savoury new experiment once in while (as long as what I have in a plate is not a complete joke, some are indeed pushing the "concept-cooking" in the wrong direction and just forget about taste).

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Anything you could recommend?
I went there twice when they offered á la carte. Today there is just one menu. Just keep an open mind. If you want to know what to expect they've been reviewed recently by Berlingske and Jyllands Posten. You'll find the reviews on aok.dk and jp.dk respectively. Børsen also visited Noma a few months ago. You can that review at pleasure.dk.

Enjoy your
living ants
:)

aeroslash

Good to see 3 spanish representatives :-D, I've been at Celler de Can Roca. I think there're some better restaurants in Catalonia -specially in Barcelona :S. But great.

Really? I've always thougth the restaurants in the rural catalonia are the best.

Which ones in Barcelona are you thinking of?

Btw, are you catalan?:p

I need to do the Fat Duck - we live just around the corner and my son would probably love it, he's surprisingly adventurous in his tastes for a 10-year-old

on the one hand I can appreciate adventurous food, but my personal preference would be to eat food that just makes me have a food orgasm. I would imagine that would be fairly ordinary food in comparison to some in that top ten list.

You should definitely go. They're very kid friendly. When I was there, the table next to us had a young child that spent the entire four meal playing with toys and an iPad under their table. It was very cute.

For all the talk of the whiz bang technical innovation of the Fat Duck, their culinary goal is to deliver foods that play on your memories. Often that means comfort food. They're pretty unique in that their menu has barely changed in ten years. Instead every dish has been refined constantly. The result is some of the flat out most tasty food I've ever had.

Sylver

Banned
Really? I've always thougth the restaurants in the rural catalonia are the best.

Which ones in Barcelona are you thinking of?
Peixerot -Barcelona and Vilanova i la Geltrú-
La Canasta -Castelldefels-
9 Reinas -Barcelona- (easy you can find some FCBarcelona's players XD)
7 Portes -Bacelona-

If you're looking something "special"
Bar Tomas -Barcelona- (Bravas)
Lizarran (Sitges) (typical spanish "tapas")
La Cantonada (Sitges) (sausages)
Frankfurt Pedralbes -Barcelona- (sausages).

near Barcelona
Hispania (Arenys de Mar) I think this is one the bests around Catalonia.

Btw, are you catalan?:p

Yes I am.

aeroslash

Really? Lizarran? If you say Lizarran is a good restaurant, i'm sure we do not share the same tastes.
Lizarran is a restaurant chain like Telepizza but in tapas.

I eat there regularly.

I'll tell you why. It's fairly affordable (there's only one set menu of 6/7 small courses and it's 45€ - no you can't choose what you eat) the decoration is totally bland (typical French brasserie with no fancy stuff at all), there's no maître d', no need to book it weeks in advance (although you might have to wait at the bar if you didn't), the room is pretty loud... All in all you'd find nothing in there that you'd expect in your regular michelin star joint.

Oh, the wine list is pretty neat and the food is just magnificient. Some of the best meals I had in my life. I know a couple of other places like this in Paris which I hope will not get as much attention as this one.

Bottom line is : if you're ever in Paris go eat there.

Does this restaurant have a website? I'm not sure if its this one or if it simply shares the same name? My French is a bit rusty http://www.lechateaubriand.fr/

If it is the same one then I am absolutely shocked that its Kosher......my mom was asking about kosher restaurants in Paris right before I saw that this restaurant says its kosher and blew my mind

Does this restaurant have a website? I'm not sure if its this one or if it simply shares the same name? My French is a bit rusty http://www.lechateaubriand.fr/

Nope, that's not the one. I can't find a website for it. It's situated 129, avenue Parmentier, in the 11th district.

If it is the same one then I am absolutely shocked that its Kosher......my mom was asking about kosher restaurants in Paris right before I saw that this restaurant says its kosher and blew my mind

Well there's a lot of demand for kosher/halal restaurants and some of them advertise this, some do it stealthily.

I'm not on top of my game as to the intricacies of kosher food but I reckon I had monkfish and seafood dishes there. And I'm pretty sure they don't do the shechita ;)

There won't be a lot of French gourmet restaurant that are actually strictly kosher. You can eat pretty well in the Jewish quarter and the surroundings (marais) but it will be mostly eastern european, sephardic or "american" food not typical french cooking...

Pretty frickin' random though

Even if you search the address of the one you are talking about you get the website of the other place

Is there a Paris Restaurant-age OT? :p

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Peixerot -Barcelona and Vilanova i la Geltrú-
La Canasta -Castelldefels-
9 Reinas -Barcelona- (easy you can find some FCBarcelona's players XD)
7 Portes -Bacelona-

If you're looking something "special"
Bar Tomas -Barcelona- (Bravas)
Lizarran (Sitges) (typical spanish "tapas")
La Cantonada (Sitges) (sausages)
Frankfurt Pedralbes -Barcelona- (sausages).

near Barcelona
Hispania (Arenys de Mar) I think this is one the bests around Catalonia.

Yes I am.

Last I knew, 7 portes is just a tourist trap these days.

Been a while tho.

-_-

Banned
Haha, the fanciest place I've been to (that I paid for and not treated by my friend's family) is Gordon Ramsey's The Maze which is a tapas restaurant version of the London (both in NYC). At the end of the meal, both my friend and I spent $55 a piece with $15 tip. That's like what one course at Per Se? I really want to try out Per Se after hearing some much about it but at $300 for a seven course meal...don't think so, at least not until I get a book deal/pay off my students loans (so in ten years).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom