• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best restaurant in the world is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm about an hour away. If I recall, calling in is the best method, yes?
Calling in and asking for the next available booking in the next month or 2 (can't remember how far in advance you can book) is the easiest thing to do - basically, being prepared to go in on a weekday for lunch since those time slots are the ones most likely cancelled at the last minute.

You can also go through Opentable via this method if you want to go through day by day.

If you want a specific date, the "easiest" thing to do is book their private room a year in advance. Though you'll need a party of at least 6 for that.

FStop7

Banned
8. Arzak (Juan Mari y Elena Arzak) – Spain

300€ per person and if I understadn you don't get to choose what you want but they serve whatever they have so it's a surprise if you go and are allergic to something xD

Maybe I'm crazy but 300 euros for a large meal at one of the finest restaurants in the world doesn't sound that unreasonable.

I eat there regularly.

I'll tell you why. It's fairly affordable (there's only one set menu of 6/7 small courses and it's 45€ - no you can't choose what you eat) the decoration is totally bland (typical French brasserie with no fancy stuff at all), there's no maître d', no need to book it weeks in advance (although you might have to wait at the bar if you didn't), the room is pretty loud... All in all you'd find nothing in there that you'd expect in your regular michelin star joint.

Oh, the wine list is pretty neat and the food is just magnificient. Some of the best meals I had in my life. I know a couple of other places like this in Paris which I hope will not get as much attention as this one.

Bottom line is : if you're ever in Paris go eat there.

When I ditch the states and retire to the French countryside will you be my cultural liaison?

thomaser

Never been a fan of the look and menu at Noma. Don't really like all that naturist simplistic style food. Shame El Buli closed.

El Bulli was too hardcore for me - I don't think I would have dared to eat there. I saw a program from there once, and two of the courses (in a 30 or so course dinner) were sea anemone with rabbit brains and an insane dish with asphalt or tar as one of the ingredients. Or perhaps it was just served on hot asphalt. But I draw a line with brains of any kind.

Also, while you're going to leave full, the experience isn't about "getting full." I think that's why people unfairly critique and judge these places without having been there. If you're just hungry and looking to get full, you don't need to go to a world-class restaurant--you need to spend $10 downtown and get a burrito. If you're looking to taste new creations and want to treat food as an artistic experience to be savored, talked about, and remembered, then you will enjoy it.

It's not about fair, it's about something that's so far outside their sphere of personal understanding and experience that they can't really wrap their brains around it.

The problem I have with these threads is that there tends to be an air of snobbery in them. You get a nice class war brewing between people who have eaten in Michelin starred restaurants on 5 continents and the people who've never eaten anything that cost more than $10 a plate.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It's not about fair, it's about something that's so far outside their sphere of personal understanding and experience that they can't really wrap their brains around it.

The problem I have with these threads is that there tends to be an air of snobbery in them. You get a nice class war brewing between people who have eaten in Michelin starred restaurants on 5 continents and the people who've never eaten anything that cost more than $10 a plate.

It shouldn't be about a class war or any of that nonsense though - anyone can save money for a fine dining experience if they're really interested. It's like someone saving money for $300 concert tickets instead of just buying a DVD of the performance.

TURNCLOAK

Banned
Stick to the Cheesecake Factory for your birthday and other celebrations.

Cheese on cake?

What kind of cockamamie horseshit is that?

What a strange reaction. People in northern Europe and Russia eat reindeer all the time, and they use most of the animal including the tongue. It's the same with the tongues of other animals - it's a common ingredient in large parts of the world, and hardly the outrageous thing you make it out to be.

Have you ever tasted reindeer tongue, by the way? If not, how do you know it's not delicious? One of the points of restaurants like Noma is to find ingredients that are broadly unknown or underused and show how good they can be.

I don't care if people like eating tongues, but come on, this place is being called the "best restaurant in the world."

I mean look at the article that Davidion posted earlier. The very first "food" photo looks like a fucked up potted plant.

These "dishes" look like the shit I have to collect in order to craft magic items or complete side quests.

And when they finally have a normal ingredient, like chicken, it looks like a bar of fucking peanut brittle.

The people who eat at these places want to discuss their experiences with each other. The $10 crew love to come running in, acting obnoxious and trying to people who silly it is to eat at these places.

It shouldn't be about a class war or any of that nonsense though - anyone can save money for a fine dining experience if they're really interested. It's like someone saving money for $300 concert tickets instead of just buying a DVD of the performance.

Exactly.

I'm by no means rich, but I've eaten at about a dozen of the places on the current list and El Bulli. I choose to spend my money on food and vacation around food. In my mind, fine dining is one of the most democratic of luxuries. I can by no means afford the best hotel, car, clothes etc., but on one night, I can eat as well as anyone else on the planet.

I don't care if people like eating tongues, but come on, this place is being called the "best restaurant in the world."
I mean look at the article that Davidion posted earlier. The very first "food" photo looks like a fucked up potted plant.
These "dishes" look like the shit I have to collect in order to craft magic items or complete side quests.
And when they finally have a normal ingredient, like chicken, it looks like a bar of fucking peanut brittle.

That's exactly the point. This is avant garde cooking where the goal of the chef is to play your preconceptions and memories. This is the culinary equivalent of modern art. It might not be your to your taste, but it certainly doesn't make it trash. Besides, in all likelihood, it probably tastes delicious.

nib95

Banned
El Bulli was too hardcore for me - I don't think I would have dared to eat there. I saw a program from there once, and two of the courses (in a 30 or so course dinner) were sea anemone with rabbit brains and an insane dish with asphalt or tar as one of the ingredients. Or perhaps it was just served on hot asphalt. But I draw a line with brains of any kind.

Bet it tastes good though lol.

SteveWD40

By having some of the best cuisine and chefs in the world and not actually being the UK of the 70's when that stereotype was valid?

The "best" restaurant I have eaten was The Fat Duck, but frankly the best restaurant for me (food, experience) was Grimaldies under the Brooklyn Bridge, Pizzas the size of bin lids served by extras from the Sopranos that put the ones I had in Italy to shame? yes please.

When I was there, they asked repeatedly if we were OK with eating rabbit brains. Even after an emphatic yes, they asked again just to make sure we had understood properly.

There's a misconception that many of these places are snobbish and unaccommodating. From my experience, this couldn't be further from the truth for the best restaurants.

Bet it tastes good though lol.

Rabbit brains, delicious. Sea Anemone, not the best. Kind of tasted like a weirdly textured jelly made of low tide.

Dishes at El Bulli weren't always consistently delicious, but they were almost always fascinating. Hard to hit it out of the park with every dish when you're serving every diner upwards of forty of them.

The "best" restaurant I have eaten was The Fat Duck, but frankly the best restaurant for me (food, experience) was Grimaldies under the Brooklyn Bridge, Pizzas the size of bin lids served by extras from the Sopranos that put the ones I had in Italy to shame? yes please.

Awesome! I run by Grimaldies several times a week, and perhaps my best food experience ever was at the Fat Duck.

I ate and drank so much that I stumbled across the street and passed out on a park bench in full suit for two hours.

see5harp

Isn't brain matter mostly fatty tissue and water?

Brain and gland meat, in general, tastes hella good to me. It's a ton of fat. One of my favorite things to eat is the inside of a crab body. There's a place called R&G in S.F. Chinatown that will take out the inside, deep fry it, then put it back in there like crab sweetbreads. It's fucking delicious.

Violet_0

Banned
read an article about the restaurant a while ago, I thought it was pretty neat that they get many of their ingredients from the local forests around Copenhagen

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Brain and gland meat, in general, tastes hella good to me. It's a ton of fat. One of my favorite things to eat is the inside of a crab body. There's a place called R&G in S.F. Chinatown that will take out the inside, deep fry it, then put it back in there like crab sweetbreads. It's fucking delicious.

Brain and gland and related (basically anything that isn't raw meat) are the tastiest animal products you will eat. The best part is watching the squeamish eaters wretch in disgust ;D

Zyzyxxz

Oh, come the fuck on...

Reindeer tongue?

What else? Owl shit on a cracker?

These "chefs" are just trolling people.

The emperor has no clothes...

As someone who works in the industry I am a bit offended by that. The fuck do you know about what cooks sacrifice to achieve culinary greatness? Of course you wouldn't know but what is wrong with you comparing owl shit to tongue?

Is there some taboo in your ignorant American brain that one should not use every part of the animal? Why don't you go back to eat your food which has no connection to the animal is came from other than styrofoam packaging. So why don't you educate yourself a little bit or shut up before you start smashing the keyboard away.

Snobbery? Every fine dining thread I've seen was never apparently snobby until some half-wits come in and say why not just go to McDonald's instead and we end up having to defend our culinary interests. I don't make much money in fact I barely make above minimum wage for now but that hasn't stopped me from saving up and eating at a 2 Michelin starred restaurant before. Some people prefer to go out every weekend and go clubbing, get drunk and spend probably $100 a week doing it and that's fine I'm not going to openly go out and rag on them but if they criticize how I wish to spend my money I find it completely ironic and maddening sometimes.

img_2659.jpg

Details:

http://verygoodfood.dk/2008/12/28/noma-13/
http://verygoodfood.dk/2009/03/15/noma-rising-third-star/

*a chef gets the attention of another chef and points to a customer*

"Look, look, look, he's actually eating it! See, I told you we could get these people to even eat dirt. I believe you owe me 20 Euros now."

way more

*a chef gets the attention of another chef and points to a customer*

"Look, look, look, he's actually eating it! See, I told you we could get these people to even eat dirt. I believe you owe me 20 Euros now."

Because truffles look like dirt they are dirt?

Clearly a student of the Karl Pilkington School of Inanity.
7781db96-2f6d-41cd-aa46-b714ac00fefb_200x113.jpg

Because a stick insect looks like a stick, clearly they are related!

Because truffles look like dirt they are dirt?

Clearly a student of the Karl Pilkington School of Inanity.
7781db96-2f6d-41cd-aa46-b714ac00fefb_200x113.jpg

Because a stick insect looks like a stick, clearly they are related!

Not a big fan of truffle either, or most sweet foods.

I'm sorry, but no matter how ornate the presentation, Scandinavian cuisine is generally going to be pretty bland or just not good (perhaps worse than British cuisine). There's just not much one can do when the growing season is so short for much of Scandinavia/Northern Europe. But hey, in this case, I'll try the tree moss and truffle dirt, but don't expect me to worship things that are eccentric for the sake being eccentric.

way more

I'm sorry, but no matter how ornate the presentation, Scandinavian cuisine is generally going to be pretty bland or just not good (perhaps worse than British cuisine). There's just not much one can do when the growing season is so short for much of Scandinavia/Northern Europe. But hey, in this case, I'll try the tree moss and truffle dirt, but don't expect me to worship things that are eccentric for the sake being eccentric.

I'm not sure how to make it clearer that the dish is not made of trees and dirt. It's caramel and truffles, I'm not sure why that is eccentric. If it were "tree moss and truffle dirt" then yes it would be odd.

Nilaul

300€ per person and if I understadn you don't get to choose what you want but they serve whatever they have so it's a surprise if you go and are allergic to something xD

Yes I also believe that a local village restuarant may be better then these in taste, but they dont have any means to promote themself.

Dr Prob

Banned

Just struck me as funny.

Head Chef: So, what do we have tonight?
Sous-Chef: *head in freezer* Some chicken nuggets and shit.
Head Chef: What about dirt? Do we have any dirt?

You're missing the point of the dish. Chocolate truffles are called truffles because they resemble the underground mushrooms of the same name. Truffles are famous for their deep earthy flavor and are used in many of Noma's savory dishes. In this dessert, the chef is playing around with the word "truffle." Earthy presentation, sweet flavors. There isn't anything arbitrary or weird for weird's sake here.

Agree on your point on Scandinavian cuisine though. I guess I'll just have to find out for myself some day! I do love Ikea's meatballs though....

I'd like to give the Fat Duck a try but I'd hate to line that twat's pockets. His punchable face and pseudo science bullshit really rub me up the wrong way.

dmshaposv

This thread has been such an entertaining read - from the unique descriptions of fine cuisine to the ignorance of fast food eaters.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I need to do the Fat Duck - we live just around the corner and my son would probably love it, he's surprisingly adventurous in his tastes for a 10-year-old

on the one hand I can appreciate adventurous food, but my personal preference would be to eat food that just makes me have a food orgasm. I would imagine that would be fairly ordinary food in comparison to some in that top ten list.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
I've been to Noma three times. WhileI personally enjoyed every visit there can be no doubt that it isn't for everyone. Bland is probably the last word I'd use to describe the type of food served there. Keep in mind that these types of restaurants don't serve traditional dishes.

kottila

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You can't grow the same stuff that they're growing further south, but there is plenty of other stuff to eat

Scandinavian countries have some of the best sea food in the world. Fruit,vegetables and berries can actually be better than in other countries due to their "LONG" growth season (colder weather makes them grow slower and longer days gives them longer sun exposure). There is plenty of incredible game as well, and the lamb meat is amazing as they spend half the summer grazing on the mountains. There are also plenty of cheeses from small producers that are world class

bjaelke

I've been to Noma three times. WhileI personally enjoyed every visit there can be no doubt that it isn't for everyone. Bland is probably the last word I'd use to describe the type of food served there. Keep in mind that these types of restaurants don't serve traditional dishes.

I'm going there next week with my company. They're paying all expenses, so I've already begun researching the menu for interesting dishes. Anything you could recommend?

CrankyJay

Banned
As someone who works in the industry I am a bit offended by that. The fuck do you know about what cooks sacrifice to achieve culinary greatness? Of course you wouldn't know but what is wrong with you comparing owl shit to tongue?

Is there some taboo in your ignorant American brain that one should not use every part of the animal? Why don't you go back to eat your food which has no connection to the animal is came from other than styrofoam packaging. So why don't you educate yourself a little bit or shut up before you start smashing the keyboard away.

Snobbery? Every fine dining thread I've seen was never apparently snobby until some half-wits come in and say why not just go to McDonald's instead and we end up having to defend our culinary interests. I don't make much money in fact I barely make above minimum wage for now but that hasn't stopped me from saving up and eating at a 2 Michelin starred restaurant before. Some people prefer to go out every weekend and go clubbing, get drunk and spend probably $100 a week doing it and that's fine I'm not going to openly go out and rag on them but if they criticize how I wish to spend my money I find it completely ironic and maddening sometimes.

Fucking this. You've always been a favorite poster of mine but this seals it.

I went to Dom in Brazil. Never though i could be blown away by food, but i was. It's not only the taste (which was wonderful) but they put some herbs in that literally play tricks in your mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom