• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slayven,

So...as someone who, I tell myself, is not really into comics despite reading a lot of them*, I signed up for that Marvel Unlimited service and read through the first arc of the recent Ms Marvel run. It's fucking great.

I started reading through the Amazing Spider Man series that features Kamala Khan and am having a hard time going through it...specifically these 1.1 and 1.3 point releases are driving me fucking insane. I tend to find anything that glamorizes the 'good ol days' as inherently repulsive and this art and dialog is not doing it any favors for me. Do I need to read them to get the full picture or can I safely skip them?

*I've read:
Dark Knight
From Hell (stopped reading something like 300 fucking pages into the detailed dissection/mutilation scene...it was a great book until that point but that shit was way too hardcore for me)
Watchmen
Red Son
a few issues from Ultimate Spider Man
Thor: God of Men
First 3 volumes of the '88 run of Black Panther
Whatever the fuck run of Superman I read and couldn't even finish the first issue my god what a boring superhero I need to wipe that shit from my memory
Few volumes of Walking Dead
Daredevil The Man Without Fear
Probably forgetting a few like a few random issues of Spawn back when I was in elementary school

Usually the point issues aren't necessary.

And when it comes to Superman, he only truly works in the right stories. Typical Superman stories are pretty trash.

Slayven

Slayven,

So...as someone who, I tell myself, is not really into comics despite reading a lot of them*, I signed up for that Marvel Unlimited service and read through the first arc of the recent Ms Marvel run. It's fucking great.

I started reading through the Amazing Spider Man series that features Kamala Khan and am having a hard time going through it...specifically these 1.1 and 1.3 point releases are driving me fucking insane. I tend to find anything that glamorizes the 'good ol days' as inherently repulsive and this art and dialog is not doing it any favors for me. Do I need to read them to get the full picture or can I safely skip them?

*I've read:
Dark Knight
From Hell (stopped reading something like 300 fucking pages into the detailed dissection/mutilation scene...it was a great book until that point but that shit was way too hardcore for me)
Watchmen
Red Son
a few issues from Ultimate Spider Man
Thor: God of Men
First 3 volumes of the '88 run of Black Panther
Whatever the fuck run of Superman I read and couldn't even finish the first issue my god what a boring superhero I need to wipe that shit from my memory
Few volumes of Walking Dead
Daredevil The Man Without Fear
Probably forgetting a few like a few random issues of Spawn back when I was in elementary school

You can skip them. My rule of thumb is never go out of my way to read guest appearances. rarely are they worth the time. Only read team ups if the title is "So and So". For example:
1217083-asmw1.jpg
Great series, so silly and balls crazy for no goddamn reason.

royalan

Sometimes I wonder if Slayven actually likes being GAF's go-to for comic info. Or if he feels like that one family member who does hair, who everyone in in the fam tries to hit up for free press-n-curls on her days off...

Slayven

Sometimes I wonder if Slayven actually likes being GAF's go-to for comic info. Or if he feels like that one family member who does hair, who everyone in in the fam tries to hit up for free press-n-curls on her days off...

We all have our special skills, Blasian can draw, Jandro can horse whisper, Gordon can pickle pig feet, and i retain unnecessary amount of random trivia.

We would be fucked if we needed to pull some Ocean Eleven's type of shit though

Keeps me off the streets

Gattsu25

Banned
Usually the point issues aren't necessary.

And when it comes to Superman, he only truly works in the right stories. Typical Superman stories are pretty trash.

You can skip them. My rule of thumb is never go out of my way to read guest appearances. rarely are they worth the time. Only read team ups if the title is "So and So". For example:
Thanks for the responses. Noted.
Great series, so silly and balls crazy for no goddamn reason.
Downloading it now, gonna check that out as I have a pretty long train ride tomorrow.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
if he didn't love it he wouldn't bring out random two-issue characters from 35 years ago when in the middle of comic threads where nobody was even thinking about that shit.

all you gotta do is say superhero three times and he just appears and shit

ReiGun

Nah, I still think it's racism. Mad low key, but it still is. Not everyone in a race has the same traits. I mean, I have physical and style preferences, even facial preferences, but I can find someone of any race that fit them. Or mixed.
I just don't see how it's racist to say "I generally prefer/am more attracted to men/women of X race" if you're not tying it to stereotypes about their people's culture/expected personality or saying that you would never date or be attracted to men/women of Y race(s).

Anyone who's open can find attractive people in all races. Even in saying I don't generally find myself attracted to white women, I would still give Emma Stone anything she asked me for. lol But if I look over the course my life, and see who I'm usually most attracted to or dealt with, it's generally Black and Latin women that catch my eye. Not saying White or Asian or what have you women are all hideous beasts I'd never give the time of day to or anything like that. Just saying who I'm more likely to deal with based on physical attraction.

But to me, a bigger factor, and this may fall into racism or some sort of ism, is the SO's family. Just got back from my brother's wedding, and noticed how much better things were with this girl compared to his old fiance. And a big part of that was a way better family.

If a girl has a bigoted family, or my family outright doesn't like her, I can love her to death, but that shit isn't going to work out without drastic measures. And i'm not willing to do that.
I couldn't put up with a bigoted family. Especially if it's someone I intend to be serious with. I'd never feel entirely comfortable.

We all have our special skills, Blasian can draw, Jandro can horse whisper, Gordon can pickle pig feet, and i retain unnecessary amount of random trivia.

We would be fucked if we needed to pull some Ocean Eleven's type of shit though

Keeps me off the streets
Nigga hush..lol.

Slayven

if he didn't love it he wouldn't bring out random two-issue characters from 35 years ago when in the middle of comic threads where nobody was even thinking about that shit.

all you gotta do is say superhero three times and he just appears and shit

You mean like Kid Eternity could summon any hero by saying "Eternity!"

They did him dirty in the JSA relaunch

andthebeatgoeson

Can the Htown racism principle go into the nu OP?

I wonder who posted the most? Dreamdropped? I can just hear him reply to his every name mention from the ether.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
who here remembers the dude that said he rather his daughter's first time be with him? And he wasn't joking.
Sennorin. He was a 100% suspect poster with less subtly than HB. He would actually get offended when people called him out and not understand why.

Dereck

who here remembers the dude that said he rather his daughter's first time be with him? And he wasn't joking.
xGRVPnj.gif

That reminds me of an After Earth interview where Will told Jaden that if there was one thing he could bring on an island with him is Jaden, just because he knew that Jaden would die for him.

Slayven

Sennorin. He was a 100% suspect poster with less subtly than HB. He would actually get offended when people called him out and not understand why.

I knew it started with an S but couldn't remember it. Amazing the poster fuckery that sticks in your brain.

Numb

That reminds me of an After Earth interview where Will told Jaden that if there was one thing he could bring on an island with him is Jaden, just because he know that Jaden would die for him.
I bet the kid took that as a compliment.

Numb

Liked the kid in Pursuit of Happiness and nothing else after that.
After earth was a horrible movie and peeps were trying to make me go to the cinema with them on day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom