• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Colbert Report under fire for allegedly racist sketch

Status
Not open for further replies.

collige

Banned
You can call these people misguided (I do), but they aren't missing the point of satire. They are fully aware, they just don't care. They are tired of the stereotypes.
I could believe that if the drama happened after the episode aired. But it didn't, it happened after whoever runs the show's Twitter tweeted a quote from it out of context almost a day later. That, to me, indicates that people didn't actually see the entire sketch.

Nesotenso

Most every pro-#CancelColbert person on Twitter have the word "Feminist" in their description..

And they have to use terms like "White CIS male" while calling out defenders..

I really hate this new progressive world..

sounds like the mental ward end of tumblr.

benjipwns

Banned
There is a line between satire & offense that @StephenatHome cannot dance over. He tramples it. For transphobia& racism, #cancelcolbert—
Lilith (@GrimalkinRN) March 28, 2014

You think that Colbert's satire is OK? Um, no. It's disgusting & devalues the lives of Asian & trans folks. #cancelcolbert—
Christopher Carbone (@christocarbone) March 28, 2014

#CancelColbert because these "jokes" once justified exclusionary acts, internment camps, atom bombs, napalm, and the murder of Vincent Chin.—
Bhaswati Chattopadhy (@BhaswatiChat) March 28, 2014
neat

Liberals made their bed, now they're sleeping it.

Alongside the Tea Party/libertarians, the rise of the so-called "feminist" movement is one of the greatest, most existential threats to rational discourse in American society.

It is the moral and ethical duty of every citizen to oppose such movements wherever they are found.

This thread just took a turn for the lulz.

JABEE

This is Colbert's moment. I remember reading this in high school and seeing people around me believe that Swift was actually endorsing cannibalism.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Alongside the Tea Party/libertarians, the rise of the so-called "feminist" movement is one of the greatest, most existential threats to rational discourse in American society.

It is the moral and ethical duty of every citizen to oppose such movements wherever they are found.

I'd argue that these people don't really understand feminism though, mostly because they aren't smart enough to spot satire when it slaps them in the face with it's dick.

Feminism is inherently a movement that is involved in a fight for equality and I don't see how that's a bad thing in the slightest.

benjipwns

Banned
ferrousfellow replied to your post: Life pro tip: parodies don’t get automatic immunity from being racist.

the goal of humor is to transform. if it enforces racism, then it has failed as a comedy and redoubled the very crime it had a chance to weaken.

Exactly. A “parody” whose target is an oppressed group has really missed the mark.
jordan.gif

Nesotenso

eh, it is just misguided idiots, the kind for some inexplicable reason tumblr seems to attract. most will grow out of it. not really comparable to the tea party.

suzu

I mean, it's nice that people care about these issues.. but picking Colbert as a target? I just don't agree. So misguided.

What.

BjyRil7IUAAUhj8.jpg

*there's a difference when there's actual malice, real oppression or blatant ignorance on the speaker's part

benjipwns

Banned
#CancelColbert because white liberals are just as complicit in making Asian Americans into punchlines and we aren't amused.—
Suey Park (@suey_park) March 27, 2014

#CancelColbert because what he calls "sensitivity" is centuries of subordination.—

#CancelColbert because there are 19 million of us and we will not tune in for race baiting.—

#CancelColbert bc e/t I hear "Ching Chong ding dong" & the like, I relive my shame growing up w White kids who said that to me regularly.—
sui generic (@cheuya) March 28, 2014

#cancelcolbert because we're sick of their transphobia, Asian jokes, and fat shaming.—
Laura (@ClangingBells) March 28, 2014

#CancelColbert because isn't he meant to be liberal? I guess you can only expect so much from privileged white cis men.—
Sophie (@S0phiex0) March 28, 2014

Because white men get endless chances to get it right, but women of color writers are just waiting for a chance. #CancelColbert—
Suey Park (@suey_park) March 28, 2014

I'm sick of my daughter's ethnicity being a punchline. It sure wasn't funny for her when she was mocked in kindergarten. #CancelColbert—
Amy D. Cubbage (@amydcubbage) March 28, 2014

People hit asian americans hard because we have NO anti-defamation leagues in place. You will still be held accountable now. #CancelColbert—
Suey Park (@suey_park) March 28, 2014

POC deal with racism every day and the real life DEADLY effects. & this clown profits off joking about POC pain. #CancelColbert Yes, please.
— William C. Anderson (@williamcander) March 28, 2014

#CancelColbert cause we really don't need another white liberal celebrity trying to justify racism.
— sugar hiccup (@modesofsnuggle) March 28, 2014

White people–please keep #CancelColbert trending until there's an apology. This is NOT the burden of people of color. Fix it. Do something.
— Suey Park (@suey_park) March 28, 2014

Using satire that "ironically" ridicules Asians=not productive for indigenous nor any marginalized group. White humor blows. #CancelColbert
— sui generic (@cheuya) March 28, 2014
so good

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Seems a little misguided but so does Colbert's sketch.

It does? Must be another person who does not understand satire... You must think The Onion is a real news organization too.

Infinite

It does? Must be another person who does not understand satire... You must think The Onion is a real news organization too.

I understand satire. Do yourself a favor and think of an actual response to the post you quoted instead of wasting my time ad hominem and poor assumptions.

The point of the sketch is obvious, but it could have also been made in a trouble-free way. I think it's interesting that people are focusing only on what Colbert did and not what he was satirizing, but 'Muricuh

JABEE

Seems a little misguided but so does Colbert's sketch.

Colbert's character is acting as a mirror of Daniel Snyder's actions. He is creating an exaggerated copy of Snyder's response to the "Redskins" controversy and ripping off the nice veneer revealing the real intentions. He is creating a parallel between Colbert and Snyder. He then explains why it is stupid to be racist for the sake of tradition and playfully agrees with Snyder's tactics to handle the pressure Snyder is facing to change the name.

It's a nice bit of Satire that cleverly gets his point across. His satire is pretty transparent watching the show segment within the context of Colbert's character.

I'm not referring to you, but a lot of the Twitter campaigning seems to be willfully misinterpreting Colbert's delivery and statements to make some kind of larger point about comedy and how ignorant people will use satire as a way to reaffirm their bigotry.

I understand that point, but I don't think comedy should be limited by that, and comedians shouldn't be thinking about that. Dave Chapelle had the same concerns years ago and he cited it as one of the reasons he left his show. People were laughing at his show for the wrong reasons. I understand where he was coming from, but on a personal level, I fear the day that comedy is neutered and dumbed down universally to the point where jokes can only be told if the least attentive listener can understand the joke completely without explanation.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
You also could explain your position on it being misguided

Seriously, it's perfect satire. I don't see how it's any bit misguided.

The twitter response is perfect, and i'm glad it's not being ignored.

Another +1 internet points for Colbert.

Edit: Thanks JABEE, I guess I don't have the patience to explain jokes anymore.

gohepcat

Banned
You can call these people misguided (I do), but they aren't missing the point of satire. They are fully aware, they just don't care. They are tired of the stereotypes.

No...they are actually missing the point of satire.

They keep posting that they "understand satire"

...but they stunningly do NOT understand it. They literally hold the exact same views as Colbert, but do not understand that the joke was aimed at racists.

Infinite

You also could explain your position on it being misguided

Sketch could have been made in a manner that didn't raise eyebrows. I think the people calling Colbert out are well aware of what satire is and that this was satire or an attempt at it. They just don't care. It still makes Asians the butt of the joke with lazy negative stereotypes and that's the part that makes them upset. Racism isn't undone because you slap "oh im being satircal!" on the box.

TS-08

Sketch could have been made in a manner that didn't raise eyebrows.I think the people calling Colbert out are well aware of what satire is and that this was satire or an attempt at it. They just don't care. It still makes Asians the butt of the joke with lazy negative stereotypes and that's the part that makes them upset. Racism isn't undone because you slap "oh im being satircal!" on the box.

You really don't understand what satire is.

TUROK

Sketch could have been made in a manner that didn't raise eyebrows. I think the people calling Colbert out are well aware of what satire is and that this was satire or an attempt at it. They just don't care. It still makes Asians the butt of the joke with lazy negative stereotypes and that's the part that makes them upset. Racism isn't undone because you slap "oh im being satircal!" on the box.
So, you actually did miss the point after all.

Defending such a blatant stereotype perfectly echoes the situation of the Redskins defending their name and mascot.

What skit did you watch? Synder is the butt of the jokes he even ends the bit on that!. Colbert is helping the audience to laugh at people who think those stereotypes are accurate and defend them.

benjipwns

Banned
My favorite ones are the ones that start throwing in their own hobbyhorse like transphobia or fat-shaming.

Actually, I take that back. My favorite ones are the ones ranting about "white humor" that's comedy gold.

benjipwns

Banned
Earlier in this thread I said "comedy gold" because of its historical usage not because gold is close to yellow in color and yellow is a term often negatively associated with Asians. I apologize for my uninformed views and ask forgiveness from the oriental or whatever community.

TS-08

Earlier in this thread I said "comedy gold" because of its historical usage not because gold is close to yellow in color and yellow is a term often negatively associated with Asians. I apologize for my uninformed views and ask forgiveness from the oriental or whatever community.

#Cancelbenjipwns.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Snyder was the butt of the joke, not Asians. You missed it completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom