• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Conduit Discussion Thread (Videos + Other Media)

Looks better with every video, only an IGN/Gametrailers sub-5/10 or so is stopping me at this point.
Zenith said:
that "improvment" vid is kinda cheating. yeah, no shit, it looks better. you may as well comapre it to a wireframe video.
I don't know, I thought it was pretty cool. It's interesting to see what a game looked like in the beginning and how far its come. It doesn't make much sense from a PR persective I don't think but still interesting.

Ydahs said:
I actually think that it has a chance to sell decently (in comparison to other quality 3rd party titles), since it has a lot of hype going on for it. It all matters on reviews though and how much advertising Sony does.

By decent I don't mean millions, but a respectable amount. Much better than Zack & Wiki, No More Heroes and Call of Duty 5. Certainly much better than what Madworld is going to sell.
Dagnabbit, there goes my hopes for Conduit's sales.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
onipex said:
How would Epic feel if this engine takes off on the Wii and really opens the door for core games on the console. That's money that has been left on the table all this time that HV could be about to pick up.

Epic won’t give a rats because the Wii isn’t their market. Their games sell great already, and from an engine perspective they are far more focused on top-of-the-line hardware. They’ve chosen their path and for them it has paid off.

pitt_norton

Now high voltage just need to tweak the game logo. It gives me the shits. How hard is it to center the middle letters to balance nicely within the bars? Perceived balance my ass... to me it just has this huge empty bottom gap that gives off a design of amateur proportions.

Cipherr

EatChildren said:
Epic won’t give a rats because the Wii isn’t their market. Their games sell great already, and from an engine perspective they are far more focused on top-of-the-line hardware. They’ve chosen their path and for them it has paid off.

Yeah it seems kind of odd to try and target Epic of all devs or Valve or any other to be possibly "feeling silly" no matter how this game fares. They are both making money hand over fist (gogo L4D) and I cant see them giving a rats ass if the grass is just as green on the other side or not, fact is they both have it made.

BlueMagic said:
Having so many sliders and options just to make the controls work well is not very appealling for me... I mean, I like that it is in fact, quite customizeable. But this is too much, I'd like it if you didn't have to spend 1 hour customizing it to perfection... It shouldn't be that way..

What the hell.... Do you realize that if they shipped the game with controls that were perfect in my opinion that its a strong possibility that my preference would be completely horrible in YOUR opinion? Thats why options are rarely a bad thing. Shipping it so that any gamer can make it perfect for him or herself is precisely the way to go, every time, without fail, if at all possible. Indisputable fact. If you want to re-shape your comforts to the default control scheme that happens to be the games standard then you are perfectly free to do that, but dont lock me and everyone else into that nonsense. Not with the horrible way most Wii games have been controlling this gen.

Ydahs

Bending_Unit_22 said:
Dagnabbit, there goes my hopes for Conduit's sales.
:lol Did I really write that? I read and reread the post to make sure everything was in check, but guess I was wrong. Fixed.

Looks awesome. Hadn't seen any videos for awhile but the Dev video was (Flavor Flav voice) "wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww".

Looks awesome.

Red Steel 2 has some serious competition.

Ydahs said:
:lol Did I really write that? I read and reread the post to make sure everything was in check, but guess I was wrong. Fixed.
I'm just surprised it took 73 posts for someone to catch it, GAF's attention must be elsewhere today :lol.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The first vid is fucking pointless but I liked the second. I'll probably make the HUd completely transparent and see if that works well.
Button mapping is old news but cool.

I didn't know they had teamed with SEGA.
Since they paid for the development mostly out of pocket, I bet SEGa won't mind putting some extra cash towards promotion.

Davey Cakes

The first video is okay, but the second one is probably what's getting most people pumped up.

With every dev update it sounds like High Voltage is more and more passionate about the project and also more enthusiastic. I really hope that they find success.

And yeah, Sega having this, House of the Dead: Overkill, and MadWorld under their belt is a very good thing for them.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It looks good enough for me graphics wise, I just hope the AI isn't really as dumb as every video ever has made them seem.

Jaagen

This looks much better, even tough I'm not completely sold on the AI yet. In the dev walkthrough, he said that they would employ advanced tactics, but I've yet to see something other than the AI just strafing away from fire. Some of the SFX still aren't the best, but I've grown accustom to them.

Graphics still look nice as always, and it seems like some of the textures are higher res. Too bad they didn't show a comparison to how it looked in the first videos.

jibblypop

Banned
This game looks fun to me but I feel like these developer videos are a bit strange. I'd rather hear him talking about how fun it is to play and features like multiplayer. Listening to talking about blurring and AI tactics seems distracting and makes me really hope as much thought goes into making the game fun as went into a list of tech features.

Like I said though I like what I've seen so far and will be getting this for sure.

jrricky

Banned
Wow, seems like people are being a little bitter because some are optimistic about a game that goes beyond the norm.

Im genuinely impressed by what they are doing anyways, and will definitely test and give impressions from the Comic Con event.

I am happy to see the Sega logo on those videos though.:D
blu said:
I miss those commercials. :-/ Nintendo's best marketing ever.

later

I want to see those weapon effects fixed, they look like ass or are way too big. Death animations (or impact animations) still aren't like they should be.

Well-implemented Wii controls in FPS is the thing of gods. Purchase imminent.

Disappointing to hear that there's no local multiplayer though.

Vagabundo

I'll buy this game for developer effort alone. I'd like more shooters on the Wii.

_Alkaline_ said:
Disappointing to hear that there's no local multiplayer though.

The wii needs adhoc LAN multiplayer, esp on something like Mario Kart. We had two wii's and two projectors going for MK, it was gas, but would have been better if it was 4x4 player...

It looks OK. The lighting is really odd though. It seems the fake-lighted textures look kind of good (The desks with lamps on them) but the real time shadows look extremely odd. A lot of the enemies look odd too. The game really reminds me of Black (I think) on the PS2 for some reason.

But man Wiimote aiming and online multiplayer sounds too fun to pass up this time. I hope the online options at least come close to some of the Xbox offerings.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The Abominable Snowman said:
But man Wiimote aiming and online multiplayer sounds too fun to pass up this time.
Exactly this. After playing Metroid Prime 3 and experiencing it's awesome controls, I've been craving to play something that will deliver the same feeling and experience like I had when I played Corruption!

Kevtones

More and more interested in this game.

HVS and Sega need to get on the Marketing NOW. There needs to be suitable retail hype for this game and they need to start putting it up in stores with signage/displays etc. If it even catches the eye of an interested Wii-gamer or even a PS3/360 FPS fan, that'll help spread the word.

I really have confidence in the dev team. I'm very excited to see the finished project.

PS I loved the incredibly different but hilariously fun - Harvey Birdman.

Haden

Banned
Wow that comparison video is so embarrising considering some wii games have shipped looking like the first video :lol

That bond game for example. The Conduit is literlaly a game that should shame other developers I dont care if it turns out to be really bad which I dont think it will but just the pure effort in graphics and features is amazing compared to the trash that usually comes out on the Wii from the "big guns" in the developing world.

Huggers

comedy bomb said:
You know the whole dual analog controls suck for FPS mentality.

I didn't say it was a funny joke.

Jokes are always better when you have to explain them :-/

J-Rock said:
Youtube'd

The Conduit - Improvement video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ff6x2OYIB0

The Conduit - Developer Walkthrough 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImkaSd-twWc

Make sure to "watch in high-quality"

Awesome, thanks

The Conduit looks really good. I have high hopes for it

Haden said:
The Conduit is literlaly a game that should shame other developers I dont care if it turns out to be really bad which I dont think it will but just the pure effort in graphics and features is amazing compared to the trash that usually comes out on the Wii from the "big guns" in the developing world.
Good grief man, punctuation.

I would agree that The Conduit really shows how lazy 3rd parties have been on the Wii except that MP3, SMG, SSMB, etc already showed that.

Haden

Banned
Bending_Unit_22 said:
Good grief man, punctuation.

I would agree that The Conduit really shows how lazy 3rd parties have been on the Wii except that MP3, SMG, SSMB, etc already showed that.

Sorry Bender, my grammar unit broke! What I meant was that a small developer doing this sort of stuff should shame Ubisoft.

danmaku

The more I look at those videos and the more this game seems bland, generic and totally uninteresting. Good graphics? sure, for a Wii it's an impressive achievement, but if I want to see jaw-dropping graphics, I turn on my PC. If they want me to play their game on the Wii, it must be something special, like Metroid, not this second rate clone.

Shiggie

danmaku said:
The more I look at those videos and the more this game seems bland, generic and totally uninteresting. Good graphics? sure, for a Wii it's an impressive achievement, but if I want to see jaw-dropping graphics, I turn on my PC. If they want me to play their game on the Wii, it must be something special, like Metroid, not this second rate clone.
Hater.

RpgN

The HUD option and custom controlls are really nice. That ball weapon thing looks interesting too. But it still has a long way in having that distinctive feeling, now it still looks more on the bland side and it's missing the 'finishing' touch to make it special. There is still time to make it better and they're still working on it. It has that potential to become one of those special games. I'll keep my eyes on it.

Huggers

danmaku said:

Wah? People seriously need to expand their vocabulary. Everything is "Generic" these days...

Also, what's wrong with people wanting to play the best looking game they can on the Wii? Should we all not play Wii games because they don't look as good as PC or PS3/360?

Top Bottom