• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Conduit Discussion Thread (Videos + Other Media)

donny2112 said:
I'm so pumped. :D

Edit:
Question: I'm buying the game Day 1. I think I've seen everything I need to see (the first tech demo made it pretty much certain I would buy it just to support the level of effort, the E3 videos on the controls make me very happy, Wii Speak shows they care = Day 1 :D ), but are the new videos really good to just watch? Essentially I'm asking, do I gain anything by going on a Media brownout or is this the kind of game/these the kind of videos that wouldn't spoil the game anyways? Looking for the opinion of those who have already seen the videos.

Thanks! :)
Go ahead and watch them. The second one is really informative, but not plot-wise. There are no spoilers. It's really just a developer speaking about the various ideas that they've put into the game such as a fully customizable HUD and bounding box, etc. Trust me, it'll only make you more excited.

It seems that most of these vids are focused on showing off the engine and the tech behind the game than anything else.

Arde5643

Jaded Alyx said:
Go ahead and watch them. The second one is really informative, but not plot-wise. There are no spoilers. It's really just a developer speaking about the various ideas that they've put into the game such as a fully customizable HUD and bounding box, etc. Trust me, it'll only make you more excited.

It seems that most of these vids are focused on showing off the engine and the tech behind the game than anything else.
The High Voltage guys seem to also be trying to sell the game as a trojan horse for their middleware engine.

Xavien

Arde5643 said:
The High Voltage guys seem to also be trying to sell the game as a trojan horse for their middleware engine.

To be fair, UT3 was the same for the Unreal 3 Engine (and GOW for the Unreal 3 Engine XB360 Version).

onipex

Bizzyb said:
It is kinda sad that we have to wait 2 years and some change to see REAL effort being put into a Wii game and at that, by a relatively unknown company. Where the hell has Capcom, Konami and EA been these last 2 years??

Anyways, this is the kind of production and effort that needs to to go into every Wii game that isn't about babies, cooking, or dogs. This will be mines day 1 for sure.

My theory is that they and many others invested in HD and didn't want Wii to do better than 3rd place.

Eteric Rice

Bizzyb said:
I own the game, but let's be honest, that was not REAL effort, as good as it was, it could have been much better

Zack & Wiki team + Motion Plus + Detective story with puzzles that MAKE SENSE = WIN WIN WIN WIN.

onipex said:
My theory is that they and many others invested in HD and didn't want Wii to do better than 3rd place.

Possibly.

Jirotrom

you know... im not really interested in Fps games as a whole, but the animations in this game look fantastic. Its what sticks out the most, I understand they are trying to push the wii graphically but i wish they chose a more stylistic route to match the awesome animations.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
New Screenshots Here
the-conduit-screens-20090115114949774.jpg

the-conduit-screens-20090115114951492.jpg

the-conduit-screens-20090115114959226.jpg

the-conduit-screens-20090115114956180_640w.jpg

Haunted

Looks excellent
for a Wii game.

Either the art direction slowly grew on me without noticing or these shots are well-picked, because I think that's all pretty good looking. Resistance meets Metroid Prime.

edit: was talking about Fantastical's screens, which indeed are all the best ones. :lol Still, looks good in some, not so much in others.

aku08

donny2112 said:
shows they care = Day 1

it looks like a very nice game, im buying this just to show my support on a third party that actually show some care on the wii. and it does look good. cmon guys, i wanna play the wii again.

bdouble

Haunted said:
Looks excellent
for a Wii game.

Either the art direction slowly grew on me without noticing or these shots are well-picked, because I think that's all pretty good looking. Resistance meets Metroid Prime.

Yeah these 2 videos and screens to me took a step in the right direction. Like I said in the first page before it looked like enemies and whatnot were cut and pasted onto the screen but now it all looks more cohesive.

basik

TheGrayGhost said:
I'm a bit annoyed by it being an example as a visually impressive Wii-game, as I think it sells short the capabilities of the console. Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, easily, are among the most visually outstanding games of all time and look far better than The Conduit.

Other than that, it looks like a labor of care and effort from a third-party, which is great, but it really isn't all that exciting. Sale-wise, I think it will be disappointing. Wii gamers don't want PC-lite games. If they did, they'd buy a 360 or PS3, which are essentially PC systems. That's exactly the kind of experience that people don't want on Wii.

arent you the guy that was trolling FPS on wii in novembers NPD? COD:WaW wii crept back into the top 20 this december, looks like they will make a profit on the game if they havent already.

It looks pretty decent.

It doesn't seem to really stick out in any way though. If we saw this on PS3/360, it would probably be treated like Legend or Timeshift.

The controls are the only thing that makes this game any less generic than any of the other past shooters we have been playing for the last several years.

Davey Cakes

shadowsdarknes said:
The controls are the only thing that makes this game any less generic than any of the other past shooters we have been playing for the last several years.
But that's exactly a point.

This game is meant to offer Wii gamers something like what's on the other consoles, but to also give it that special Wii touch. Really, I think it's bad that so many FPS go to other systems exactly because a good deal of them just get "thrown into the pile" and are forgotten about. A game like The Conduit on Wii has a home where people will truly appreciate it. High Voltage, because of this, is doing both Wii gamers and the FPS genre a favor.

The Conduit is very much meant to show that deep gameplay experiences can be made on the system, and that the Wii's unique control scheme can enhance the gameplay. High Voltage is going for all-out customization in order to finally show people just how great the Wii is for FPS. You can't expect a completely wacky, out-of-this-world kind of shooter on the first run. I actually think The Conduit focusing more on setting a base for other developers, with both the game's engine and its deep customization options, is a good thing.

But even then, this game certainly does give me more of a combination of Metroid, Perfect Dark, and Half-Life vibes than most other FPS. For this reason it doesn't necessarily feel as generic as, say, Halo or Resistance.

shadowsdarknes said:
Isn't...isn't that kind of the point of the system

Arde5643

I'm just excited for the chance of doing a 16 person CTF with the alien weapons.

It's a shame that it will never be able to do a 32 person war like in MOHH2, but since this is a better game with more features, I'll probably enjoy it more. :D

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Mejilan said:
Never ceases to amaze me...
bah, you should see what the guys does with dual analog!

quack!

pakkit

Banned
yoopoo said:
Red Steel looks better.
Fuck you. Every thread. I will find a dog to rape you from behind while you're playing MoH Wii next to the couch.

P.S. The new screenshots look nice. The art direction has improved somewhat. I hope they pack all of these trailers into the game. It shows the labor of love its been for them. Metroid Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy do look better, but those are because of their proficiency in artwork and their stylistic choices. This is a bajillion times better than CoDWii or MoHWii. I think people are quick to forget that the Wii has no sci-fi shooters, unlike the PS360.

onipex said:

No, it's more that they want to make games that pander to the Wii audience. For example, take Boom Blox. It's one of the best games on the Wii one of the few games on the system that could only be done well on the Wii.

pakkit

Banned
Linkzg said:
No, it's more that they want to make games that pander to the Wii audience. For example, take Boom Blox. It's one of the best games on the Wii one of the few games on the system that could only be done well on the Wii.
52hw8z.gif

? DOES NOT COMPUTE

KevinCow

Banned
lawblob said:
Why? Based on my experience, Wii pointer controls are so imprecise that Wii FPS games feel very gimped. I think Motion+ could improve the experience greatly, but I am assuming this won't use that.
They announced that it actually will optionally support Motion Plus.

KevinCow

Banned
M74 said:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/925/925835p1.html

IGN: We saw in the press release that MotionPlus and WiiSpeak are confirmed. How're you using both?

Eric Nofsinger: WiiSpeak is a natural fit for a FPS, but MotionPlus is a bit trickier. We will support it, but not as a "tack on" or a waggle-the-Wiimote mechanic. This comes into play in refining our overall shooter experience without requiring it. For example: tracking the movements of the Wiimote even when not pointed at the sensor bar and thus avoiding "locking" the cursor occasionally when going out of sensor range and similarly tracking the Wiimote orientation when not pointed at the sensor bar to prevent the bolo weapon cursors from "freezing" when losing one or both of the reflectors. These sorts of integrations will make the experience slightly tighter but without explicitly punishing the players without the peripheral.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
yoopoo said:
Red Steel looks better.

Red Steel was actually really good looking in some parts (and mediocre in others), but it had a great art style, something that cannot be said about this game, unfortunately. :(

Luckily this game looks a bajillion times more fun than Red Steel.

Fredescu

Andrex said:
Red Steel was actually really good looking in some parts (and mediocre in others), but it had a great art style.
It wasn't and it didn't. The only thing it had going for it was the diversity of settings.

pakkit

Banned
Fredescu said:
It wasn't and it didn't. The only thing it had going for it was the diversity of settings.

The quirkiness of the game kept me going, but the artstyle? I still live in fear of those goddam cardboard cut-out cutscenes. I'm curious how HVS will approach cutscenes here, as it was revealed that they will drive the story, but not a single one has been shown! *shock and awe*

Mantorok

Jaded Alyx said:
wiiclips.jpg

Right, everybody shut up now.

Seriously, this is exactly how I would like to see next-gen, a 360 pad with a pointer at the top of the pad, that would be day one for me definitely.

wsippel

Banned
Mantorok said:
Seriously, this is exactly how I would like to see next-gen, a 360 pad with a pointer at the top of the pad, that would be day one for me definitely.
That would be pretty much the antithesis of ergonomics.

lawblob said:
Why? Based on my experience, Wii pointer controls are so imprecise that Wii FPS games feel very gimped. I think Motion+ could improve the experience greatly, but I am assuming this won't use that.

What?
Motion Plus will have no effect on the pointer controls. Also, Wii pointer controls are extremely accurate. They just aren't accurate in the same way as a lightgun but more like a mouse.

KevinCow

Banned
Kamakazie! said:
What?
Motion Plus will have no effect on the pointer controls. Also, Wii pointer controls are extremely accurate. They just aren't accurate in the same way as a lightgun but more like a mouse.
It will in some ways. For instance, the Wiimote needs to know which way is up to properly position the cursor on the screen, and uses the accelerometers to figure this out. The gyro in the Motion Plus, however, is quicker and more accurate. This should be especially useful when sniping and using that one gun that changes its angle based on how you twist the Wiimote. Then there's also the point that they make in the bit I quoted from the interview where aiming away from the sensor bar won't make the cursor instantly freak out.

It won't make a huge difference, though, just some touch-ups. If someone already doesn't like the Wiimote/Nunchuk setup, nothing the Motion Plus can do would fix it.

Looking at those screens, it's clear that when you have 3MB of embedded RAM dedicated to framebuffer and texture memory you're just not going to get a ton of texture detail. Remember the Wii cannot dedicate main memory as texture cache the way PS2 can.

The shininess is nice, I suppose. They are clearly trying to imitate the Gears of War "everything is shiny and plastic" effect.

Barrett2

Game does look good (for the Wii), the only thing that I dislike is some of the enemy art design. I am so sick of the "space bug" aesthetic that a lot of the enemies seem to look like. Same thing also annoyed me about the Halo series, I think Shawn Elliott called it the 'muppet aesthetic,' or something. In FPS games I hate feeling like I am running around shooting 3ft tall insect-muppets.

Top Bottom