• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah |OT| same chair, different ass

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielcw

Watch full episodes here: http://www.cc.com/shows/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah/full-episodes
Read ahead for tipps on how to circuvent regional barricades

The%20Daily%20Show%20with%20Trevor%20Noah%20-%20OT%20-%20logo.png

On September 28th 2015 A. D., a new era for The Daily Show begins. A new face, South African born comedian Trevor Noah, will present the show. Behind the scenes the crew stayed mostly the same, most of the old writers, directors and producers will still make the show, as it evolves.

Old targets, like the 24 hour U.S. cable news channels, are still on the show's sights. But as the way the world gets its news changes, so does the show. A closer look will be taken at webistes like Gawker.

“The biggest challenge is how to bring all of that together and look at it through the bigger lens, as opposed to going after one source which, yes, historically was Fox News”
“I don’t have targets yet. I get to forge my own relationships. I get to discover the people I know and loathe.”

When Noah's predecessor Jon Stewart began his tenure on the show, it still took quite, even years, before the show became its most famous form.

Let's see, where the Trevor Noah era leads us ...

TrevorNoah-JonStewart.jpg

Before he was picked as new host, Trevor Noah contributed as a correspondent , like this:

As part of its evolution, The Daily Show is going to expand its presence on social media
Trevor Noah’s ‘Daily Show’ Hires Baratunde Thurston To Oversee Original Digital Production
“organic to The Daily Show mission while expanding the series footprint across all digital and social platforms.”

3 new correspondents
http://www.vulture.com/2015/09/daily-show-hires-3-new-correspondents.html
Many of Jon Stewart's most recent correspondents, like Jordan Klepper, will stay

http://www.cc.com/shows/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah
You will be able to watch full episodes there too.

If you can't watch the videos, because you are region locked, you might try this trick:

Trailers:
Youtube playlist with trailers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EagQVJuM-K0&index=1&list=PLD7nPL1U-R5poNaQDb9HqN4eJiY1aXF6c

Links:
Daily Show with Jon Stewart videos
The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore

EDIT: added news about 3 new correspondents, and 2 alternatives for circumventing regional lock-out on the website
EDIT: guest list for week 2 and countdown
EDIT: put link to full episodes at the top of the OT

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'll give it a chance.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
all i know from this guy is his appearance on comedians in cars getting coffee. did not care for his delivery.

Ultima_5

all i know from this guy is his appearance on comedians in cars getting coffee. did not care for his delivery.

You should check out his stand up. It's on Netflix I think. It was solid.

It'll definitely take some time for him to get settled in though

kvk1

how are you judging his delivery from that

that show is two guys going out for a coffee and having a chat

not a scripted half hour news-satire show

John Dunbar

correct about everything
how are you judging his delivery from that

that show is two guys going out for a coffee and having a chat

not a scripted half hour news-satire show

he told clearly prepared jokes and i thought they fell flat, mainly because of the way he told them. i'll watch an episode here or there, but i'm just not expecting much from him as the host.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
First week's guests:

Monday: Kevin Hart, actor / comedian
Tuesday: Whitney Wolfe, CEO of Bumble
Wednesday: Chris Christie, governour of New Jersey
Thursday: Ryan Adams, musican

That feels like a really underwhelming first week guest list...

Boem

I really like the guy. He won't be close to Stewart at first, but that would be impossible. Let's not forget that Stewart only got good after a couple of years on the job.

Could have had better guests though.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I don't think that's bad at all. The weakest is the Bumble CEO.

Kevin Hart is usually pretty great on talk shows and will carry his interview.

Ryan Adams is blowing up the internet at the moment.

And Chris Christie thinks he's running for president.

Violet_0

Banned

hm I don't really know him but I watched the two videos in the OP when he was a correspondent and I quite like him. I think they picked the right guy to replace Steward

Rymuth

Really weak list of guests. I suppose Chris Christie will be the make-or-break litmus test. If he goes after him with the same zeal Jon used to do, I'll stick around.

Saw the emmys (from last week) yesterday while grinding some crap in Destiny, it brought a tear to my eye when Daily Show won best variety and Jon came up on stage with the entire crew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx9l63n8VM8

Jessica Williams also looked stunning there, I still feel she would have been the perfect replacement but oh well.

I'll definitely watch Noah for a bit, but like Colbert's new show or Wilmore I expect it won't be something I watch every single night, like Jon Stewart's show.

FWIW...

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/25/tre...t_plans_to_turn_his_clean_slate_into_success/

For the first week’s lineup, Noah outlined how each guest was chosen to make a statement about the show’s revamped identity: Comedian Kevin Hart (“that’s what the show is, it is a comedy show first and foremost”), Bumble founder Whitney Wolfe (“like myself, a new voice in a space, but from a female side”), musician and Taylor Swift disrupter Ryan Adams (“he’s done in essence what we’ve done here: he’s taken something loved and cherished by many and created a new version”). Republican presidential candidate Chris Christie was picked to confirm that “the show is still going to be political; it’s still going to be American politics.”

Good luck Trevor. I hope he does well and it'll be interesting to see how much he'll have to "change" in order to resonate with viewers in the US.

jtb

Banned
I've been kind of baffled by the choice since the start, but he's been saying the right things so far so I'm definitely curious to see how it turns out. Some good ol' fashioned Gawker-bashing is always a good place to start.

Jonm1010

Banned
They really couldn't do better than that for the new Daily Show? There isn't even someone with "less popular but very interesting" status.
I'm skeptical because I haven't been blown away by anything he's done - though some of his stand up bits were really good.

With that said, what exactly is a more interesting choice then a half while, half black South African comedian born in an apartheid family that had only been on the show a couple months that no one expected to inherit the show from the aging white Jewish comedian at the helm?

The only less safe, more interesting pick would of been a complete unknown.

Jonm1010

Banned
Also I'm really hoping this does work out in spite of my skepticism because both Wilmore and Colbert have been a dissapointment to me so far to different degrees.

Future

Also I'm really hoping this does work out in spite of my skepticism because both Wilmore and Colbert have been a dissapointment to me so far to different degrees.

Daily show and Colbert report was a magic combo that will be tough to replicate

John Oliver is delivering the goods on HBO though

They should really put up a wall so that people from South Africa can't come over and host American shows.

John Oliver and Craig Ferguson are probably my two favorite late night talk show hosts. Difference is you could tell those guys loved America for all its faults and their criticism came from a place of wanting it to be better than it was. This guy emanates smugness, which is made even worse because he's not even from a place you could argue has got their shit together more than the US, South Africa is fucking terrible.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
looking forward to it. people should give nightly show another chance, too, now that its been on for a year.

I've got no interest in some foreigner talking down to me. Hope this bombs.
Last Week Tonight is better than The Daily Show has ever been.

John Oliver and Craig Ferguson are probably my two favorite late night talk show hosts. Difference is you could tell those guys loved America for all its faults and their criticism came from a place of wanting it to be better than it was. This guy emanates smugness, which is made even worse because he's not even from a place you could argue has got their shit together more than the US, South Africa is fucking terrible.
I agree that he looks smug in a way that only intelligent young people are capable of, but we have no idea what his hosting style will be yet.

Oh all the things to escalate quickly for me in the last few days. This is one of the quickest.

I'm optimistic about Noah. I'll give it a couple of weeks to see if it hooks me like I did the Nightly Show. Hopefully, unlike the Nightly Show, it actually hooks me.

My problem is I thought Larry Wilmore was great before his show started, which has been consistently underwhelming. Sometimes that x-factor that makes a comedian charming and funny doesn't translate to a hosting gig.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
My problem is I thought Larry Wilmore was great before his show started, which has been consistently underwhelming. Sometimes that x-factor that makes a comedian charming and funny doesn't translate to a hosting gig.

So maybe the inverse is true for Noah? I dunno, we'll see

Dr. Kaos

Banned

He emanates blackness, is your problem, I think. You're clearly not conscious of it, but when you use words like "emanates", that's what's happening.

John Oliver and Craig Ferguson just happen to be white. The good kind of english speaking white foreigners.

Because clearly, Trevor Noah doesn't love America for all its faults, and his criticism didn't come from a place of wanting it to be better than it is.
*rolleyes*

I know people will have their reservations but we love him here in South Africa because he is brilliant,especially with South African politics (although South African politicians are terrible so the jokes tend to write themselves), and the fact that he comes from a multiracial background so unlike other black and white comedians he's not afraid say more that others might be afraid to say. I think his knowledge of SA politics and the fact that a lot of his jokes were mainly based around them could be why they might've chosen him for the job.

One of my favorite jokes about a South African politician (you don't have to be South African to understand it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXsZ5bydFT0

Slayven

He emanates blackness, is your problem, I think. You're clearly not conscious of it, but when you use words like "emanates", that's what's happening.

John Oliver and Craig Ferguson just happen to be white. The good kind of english speaking white foreigners.

Because clearly, Trevor Noah doesn't love America for all its faults, and his criticism didn't come from a place of wanting it to be better than it is.
*rolleyes*

how little it takes to for confident turns into smugness, some folks might say Noah might well learn his "place"

hohoXD123

Having seen the clips of him in the OP from his time with Jon Stewart he comes across as a bit...boring? I can't see him cracking jokes, being goofy/serious and as likeable as Jon. Are there any clips casts him in a different light?

jediyoshi

*rolleyes*

Was the word 'because' implying some sort of causal link between these points?

OnPoint

*rolleyes*

While I think it's unfair to judge him before we've seen the job he's going to do, are you really accusing someone of being racist here?

anigif_enhanced-buzz-29313-1372950034-32.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom