• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah |OT| same chair, different ass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonm1010

Banned
Too valuable of a franchise now, though. He'll get Conan'd.

For who though?? I think the reigns will be tighter if he stumbles out the gate but the thing with Conan was they had Leno right there wanting to jump back in. It was an easy fix button for their uncomfortableness. As far as I know Stewart isn't starting a variety show to air earlier because he is having regrets.

I think like Wilmore he at least has a year or two.

JDSN

Banned
I never felt John had a particulary good deliver, he is just an incredibly intense and likeable dude, I do get what people are saying about Noah being really confident in comparison to John and Jon so thats why it might feel jarring at first, but if you are gonna bring up South Africa to contextualize that point well..
anigif_enhanced-buzz-30726-1425062895-21.gif

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I never thought of Jon as being particularly funny; I don't think I'd watch his stand-up. His strength was how likable he was and his skill in interviewing/debating the various political figures he had on his show.

As long as Trevor can score well in those areas, I'm sure the show will do fine.

danielcw

That "trick" seems like a lot of unnecessary hassle, when you can just get the ZenMate addon and press "US"...

I don't know anything about Zenmate.

Some VPN-like solutions have a bad reputation, because they allegedly do some shitty things.

If you can vouch for Zenmate, I will gladly add it to the OP.

The OP should mention the 3 new correspondents:
pum87fl.jpg

Ronny Chieng, Roy Wood Jr. & Desi Lydic
http://www.vulture.com/2015/09/daily-show-hires-3-new-correspondents.html

Will add later.

I've got no interest in some foreigner talking down to me.
Sounds like a new tagline for the thread :)

I don't know anything about Zenmate.

Some VPN-like solutions have a bad reputation, because they allegedly do some shitty things.

If you can vouch for Zenmate, I will gladly add it to the OP.

There's a firefox add-on called Dolus which is a simpler way of doing the trick you posted in the OP.

Kreed

I'm looking forward to people learning how much the Daily Show staff makes the Daily Show what it is (ex: The "shock" some people had when Colbert and his Colbert Report staff were still doing Colbert bits on his new show instead of Letterman bits). Not taking away from Jon Stewart, but all Trevor has to do is play the role that was previous written for Jon Stewart for the show to "still" be the Daily Show. Obviously Trevor will has his own delivery style and adlibs, but we'll have to see how those work out (being a comedian and seeing some of his stand up, I'm not too worried about this either).

As for the Nightly Show comparisons, this is Larry's first time writing a night time talk show (previously he wrote sitcoms catering to black US audiences) and he had a different staff from Jon and Colbert (since Colbert took his whole staff with him), so there's been a learning curve for him that Trevor Noah won't be going through.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

danielcw

I'm looking forward to people learning how much the Daily Show staff makes the Daily Show what it is (ex: The "shock" some people had when Colbert and his Colbert Report staff were still doing Colbert bits on his new show instead of Letterman bits).

That's a good point actually.
Another comparsion between Colbert and Noah would be, that in the beginning both of them said, they would be different. Colbert would be less political, and Noah said the Daily Show would not focus and Fox News or the presidential race that much,
Now we know, how Colbert turned out. Colbert also runs the company the produced both shows.

Noah is, to a certain degree a hired person on "his" show. He is gonna be a writer, an executive producer, but he is not the head.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
This starts tonight, eh?

I'm very interested to see how this transition goes. I watched TDS every night for over a decade. I still don't know how I feel about Noah. I hope he does well but I'm just not very familiar with him. I don't think many people are.

I do know that if he leans too hard on South Africa people are going to stop giving a shit almost immediately. All of the bits I've ever seen him do on TDS have some ties back to his country. Not many people give a shit about what goes in South Africa.

Most of the time if they don't nail it right away they are dead.

Nah, this isn't true at all. Stewart was pretty bad in the beginning tbh. It really didn't start to click for him until almost 2 years in.

I do know that if he leans too hard on South Africa people are going to stop giving a shit almost immediately. All of the bits I've ever seen him do on TDS have some ties back to his country. Not many people give a shit about what goes in South Africa.

Not many people gave a shit about Jersey either, but if you can bring in self-deprecating jokes about how shit your hometown is in interesting ways, job done.

Kreed

That's a good point actually.
Another comparsion between Colbert and Noah would be, that in the beginning both of them said, they would be different. Colbert would be less political, and Noah said the Daily Show would not focus and Fox News or the presidential race that much,
Now we know, how Colbert turned out. Colbert also runs the company the produced both shows.

Noah is, to a certain degree a hired person on "his" show. He is gonna be a writer, an executive producer, but he is not the head.

That's the key a lot of people are missing because they put so much on Stewart, Colbert, Oliver, etc... To them, they are the "geniuses" that make these shows function and have all the control, vs just acting out what their writers write for them for the most part.

At the same time, you have this situation with people seeing Trevor Noah play the "black correspondent from South Africa" on the Daily Show previously and thinking "Oh great, so the show is going to be about South Africa now?". Trevor Noah is going to play Jon Stewart (aka the host) on the Daily Show, not the black South African correspondent. And in comparison to Colbert on the Colbert Report, Jon Stewart's role (which was basically the "straight man" to a bunch of eccentric people) it's not a hard role to play.

It'll last two years max. Dude isn't funny and doesn't seem to have the political awareness to make it work.

Who here knew about Jon Stewart's "political awareness" before he took over the Daily Show? Where did we know him from before he got the gig? Hosting the Jon Stewart Show on MTV, where he was busy interviewing 90s alt-rock stars? I guess he did Death to Smoochy too.

Also the "Month of Zen" reminded everyone that the Daily Show didn't catch fire immediately when Jon Stewart took over. Even the Indecision 2000 stuff seems relatively shallow compared to their later coverage. It wasn't until about two years in (after 9/11 in particular) that the show really started becoming something noticeably different than it was with Craig Kilborn.

Anyways, I've been watching the Daily Show since it started, I'll be watching tonight, and I'll keep watching to give it time for Trevor Noah to build it into something. It might not happen overnight. Jon Stewart himself didn't do that overnight.

Ultima_5

Anyone have a clue when this'll be showing up on Comedy Central.com? I'm in the process of moving so no access to cable but I'm really stoked to see this Atleast online sometime tomorrow

danielcw

Anyone have a clue when this'll be showing up on Comedy Central.com? I'm in the process of moving so no access to cable but I'm really stoked to see this Atleast online sometime tomorrow

If nothing changes, usually a few hours later, like 10 hours after airing.
Illigal versions may be up sooner

When it is up, I or somebody else will post a link.

Isn't most of their stuff locked behind a cable subscription check?

If you can get past that somehow, usually they're good about posting their stuff right away. They're also one of the few networks that has a Chromecastable app.

Blader

lol @ his rationale for the first week of guests. "We wanted a comedian on because we want to do comedy; we wanted a politician because we're talking politics; we wanted a musician on because we like music." May as well add that they're four human beings too.

It'll last two years max. Dude isn't funny and doesn't seem to have the political awareness to make it work.
I don't find him particularly funny in his stand-up, but he's a fantastic conversationalist. Coincidentally or not, that's also what I tend to think of Jon Stewart. I don't think I've seen stand-up material of his that has made me laugh out loud.

Also, I am guessing you are joking about his political awareness because that's, like, maybe his biggest strength.

RoKKeR

Pretty interested to see how this all pans out. Cautiously optimistic... not convinced on him being "loose" enough for this type of show. We'll see.

Fox318

I really don't think this show is gonna be good.

I expect CC to try and take out as much politics as possible and turn this into another talk soup.

DietRob

Not many people gave a shit about Jersey either, but if you can bring in self-deprecating jokes about how shit your hometown is in interesting ways, job done.

I dissagree. The audience might not care too much about Jersey in particular but it is relatable to the audience. South Africa is not relatable to an American audience so they will likely tune out and those jokes will fall flat. Also Noah does not seem to be one for self depreciating humor. If anything from the bits I've seen from him it the exact opposite. Point and laugh at big dumb America.

I'm also sceptical on the shift away from exposing fox news and moving towards buzzfeed/gawker. I'm interested to see what comes of the show. It will probably be a shift away from the satire we got before. I read an article that said his and the shows focus is to show the mellinal perspective of news and politics. That just doesn't sound interesting or good to me.

I will give it a fair shot tho.

Fox318

Stewart was garbage when he started. Don't discount him right off the bat.

Stewart was taking over a different show and it only started to get good when he made it his own.

Aasif Mandvi should have been the host if they wanted to continue a show about politics.

I'm also sceptical on the shift away from exposing fox news and moving towards buzzfeed/gawker. I'm interested to see what comes of the show. It will probably be a shift away from the satire we got before. I read an article that said his and the shows focus is to show the mellinal perspective of news and politics. That just doesn't sound interesting or good to me.

It is a weird thought that I'm now older than the current host of the Daily Show.

kingocfs

What doesn't sound interesting is more shooting fish in a barrel and making fun of Fox News night after night. I love Jon but the show was getting tired and it needed a refresh.

Jonm1010

Banned
I dissagree. The audience might not care too much about Jersey in particular but it is relatable to the audience. South Africa is not relatable to an American audience so they will likely tune out and those jokes will fall flat. Also Noah does not seem to be one for self depreciating humor. If anything from the bits I've seen from him it the exact opposite. Point and laugh at big dumb America.

I will give it a fair shot tho.

Yeah I would be the first one to say they went a little too hard into Fox News. To the point it felt like the Fox News rebuttal show most of the time. So a shift away was certainly needed. I'm just not sure I'm too enthusiastic with where they are planning to shift the show.

The other thing I've heard that I will never warm up to is the introduction of music segments. Maybe if this were an hour show but there is already so little time that to now tack on a music number makes me worry this is going too variety showish.

Fox318

What doesn't sound interesting is more shooting fish in a barrel and making fun of Fox News night after night. I love Jon but the show was getting tired and it needed a refresh.

going after mainstream media is way more interesting than going after the sub minimum wage bloggers that either pipe out hyperbolic click bate or some random Gawker/Huff Post editorial.

At least Oliver focuses on a story and doesn't really give much time to the blowhards who say the stupid shit instead pointing out the people who are effected by it.

my bar for this new show is set so low.

B.O.O.M

So excited for this. I don't expect him to be great from the get go.that takes time. But I think he can do a very nice job.

Yeah I would be the first one to say they went a little too hard into Fox News. To the point it felt like the Fox News rebuttal show most of the time. So a shift away was certainly needed. I'm just not sure I'm too enthusiastic with where they are planning to shift the show.

The other thing I've heard that I will never warm up to is the introduction of music segments. Maybe if this were an hour show but there is already so little time that to now tack on a music number makes me worry this is going too variety showish.

I remember that's what ruined Keith Olbermann on MSNBC for me. His show basically narrowed itself into the "Bill O'Reilly Response Show", which made him seem incredibly small and petty. I worried sometimes that the Daily Show would end up narrowing itself like that.

Sanjuro

going after mainstream media is way more interesting than going after the sub minimum wage bloggers that either pipe out hyperbolic click bate or some random Gawker/Huff Post editorial.

At least Oliver focuses on a story and doesn't really give much time to the blowhards who say the stupid shit instead pointing out the people who are effected by it.

By the time Stewart was working himself off the air, his colleagues were already delivering more interesting product.

I don't see myself catching onto this program for a while, but I will check it out.

DietRob

I do agree that near the end the show was basically turning into the fox news rebuttal show and how that might be stale but I don't see how moving it to focus on what random blogger #234 is saying will be any better.
I'm setting a very low bar for the show so I won't be disappointed. I will be pleasantly surprised if Noah turns out good but I've come to the realization that the Stewart/Colbert era was a once in a lifetime thing and its unfair to Trevor and Larry to expect the same sort of revolutionary political satire.

kingocfs

I don't think he's going to be scrolling through buzzfeed top 10 lists and pointing and laughing. Mainstream media is just too easy a target, the show needs to expand its horizons. What's the problem with that?

Kreed

I'm just more amazed that the Nightly Show is still on the air. Hasn't it just been plummeting in terms of ratings?

Overall the show hasn't been able to do Colbert's numbers in it's final season, but the ratings took a major hit once Jon Stewart left the Daily Show. Comedy Central has stated they expected this and think the new Daily Show will help ratings pick back up.

Jonm1010

Banned
I don't think he's going to be scrolling through buzzfeed top 10 lists and pointing and laughing. Mainstream media is just too easy a target, the show needs to expand its horizons. What's the problem with that?
My problem is going after gawker and buzzfeed kinda shifts the show more toward the pop culture, superficial news, celebrity gossip aspect of news(it would seem based on their material) instead of the political and social commentary that I think really built the fanbase it has. I'm not trying to watch The Soup.

Count me in as optimistic. I like Trevor a lot. I'll be watching! And watching this thread for impressions.

As an aside I think it's pretty cool that Comedy Central's late night talk show line up is 100% people of color! Gotta get some pigment on the circuit, damn -- the broadcast guys are white as shit. Wish there were more women other than Chelsea Handler who just isn't that great but hey, progress.

I hope he's a better host than Wilmore.

I still feel Wilmore may have a good chance if he had held out a few months longer and been a contender for the Daily Show host. The problem with the Nightly Show is I'm still not a fan of the panel discussion format. And his on-air correspondents so far aren't great, with the exception of Mike Yard.

I still think Trevor Noah will be a good host, but a lot of that will come from him inheriting a strong research team, writing staff, and a good number of correspondents that are sticking with the show. Wilmore's show is starting from scratch.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Count me in as optimistic. I like Trevor a lot. I'll be watching! And watching this thread for impressions.

As an aside I think it's pretty cool that Comedy Central's late night talk show line up is 100% people of color! Gotta get some pigment on the circuit, damn -- the broadcast guys are white as shit. Wish there were more women other than Chelsea Handler who just isn't that great but hey, progress.

Samantha Bee is getting her own show on TBS next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom