• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah |OT| same chair, different ass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having seen the clips of him in the OP from his time with Jon Stewart he comes across as a bit...boring? I can't see him cracking jokes, being goofy/serious and as likeable as Jon. Are there any clips casts him in a different light?

I don't think you use the Daily Show material to judge his comedic quality. It's some of his weakest stuff. His stand up shows are better and most are on YouTube.

He emanates blackness, is your problem, I think. You're clearly not conscious of it, but when you use words like "emanates", that's what's happening.

John Oliver and Craig Ferguson just happen to be white. The good kind of english speaking white foreigners.

Because clearly, Trevor Noah doesn't love America for all its faults, and his criticism didn't come from a place of wanting it to be better than it is.
*rolleyes*
I can already tell this show will inspire a lot of toxic opinions.

Chariot

Let's give him a change goddamnit. His race, ethnicity and origin of birth are irrelevant if he is an amazing moderator. It's entirely valid to dislike his humour, but my god, don't judge him because he is from South Africa.

While I think it's unfair to judge him before we've seen the job he's going to do, are you really accusing someone of being racist here?

anigif_enhanced-buzz-29313-1372950034-32.gif

To be fair I thought the same thing because the guy said that Trevor Noah isn't legitimate soully because he is from South Africa.

bengraven

It will take a bit to get used to him.

The first few weeks of Colbert were rough and I swore it was going to be a flop.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
While I think it's unfair to judge him before we've seen the job he's going to do, are you really accusing someone of being racist here?

We're all racist to some degree. I will not certainly not throw stones, but I won't pretend racial biases don't exist when they are staring me in the face.

Perhaps it's easier for me to notice them because, like Trevor, I was born and raised in Africa
and became american in my 20s.

It took Jon a good 3 years to find his show. Hopefully, people will allow Trevor some leeway.
This is another thing. Folks acting like Jon came in and just fit right in
(lol those early suits he wore were so hilariously huge on him)
are clearly remembering reality quite differently. It took him time to make it his own show and not life after Craig Kilborn..

Dr.Acula

Banned
Still seems weird. He really came out of nowhere. Most people were thinking Sam Bee or Jessica Williams would get the call. I guess the idea was to 'reboot' TDS with a relative outsider.

I don't think I blame Larry for the Nightly Show not being all that great. I think it's that corny format with the roundtable. That tends to prevent the host from having a strong point of view. The first episode of the Nightly Show I saw, Larry was scolding people for making fun of anti-vaxxers.

Anti-vaxxers are fucking scum to me, so that was kinda the last straw, after watching the cloying weak tea/100 segment and fishing-for-applause-line roundtable. Correspondents, sketches, and knife-in-the-throat editorials is a great formula. Coddling idiots at the kids table is not.

It looks like Trevor Noah is keeping the format, and is a smart and funny guy who is modernizing the show in some smart ways. I am optimistic about the new Daily Show. Honestly I was pretty tired of Stewart towards the end,
and pretty disappointed in the new Colbert show,
so my fingers are crossed!

Jonm1010

Banned
It took Jon a good 3 years to find his show. Hopefully, people will allow Trevor some leeway.

This is my worry(even about my own self if I'm honest) is that much like Conan with the Tonight Show, modern execs want immediate results with their flagship shows and have a short leash. This isnt the same show Stewart took over.

With that said if we are honest, what made the early Daily Show good was not really Jon. It was the correspondents and correspondent pieces. Jon was just the anchor that made some goofy faces, had a couple go-to lines and read some headlines with a joke attached. Stewart really didn't find his prime til 2002-2003 IMO.

Have tickets for two weeks from now. Kinda sad I never got to see Jon but I'm excited to give this show a shot. I've become less and less enamored with Jon and Colbert's sarcastic and excessively cynical tone, it's exhausting. I like what wilmore I'd doing and hopefully what Trevor will be doing.

I used to love the liberal kind of "look how crazy everybody else is" style but its lazy and counterproductive.

Codeblue

John Oliver and Craig Ferguson are probably my two favorite late night talk show hosts. Difference is you could tell those guys loved America for all its faults and their criticism came from a place of wanting it to be better than it was. This guy emanates smugness, which is made even worse because he's not even from a place you could argue has got their shit together more than the US, South Africa is fucking terrible.

You're right. Where does Trevor Noah get off making fun of our political system and media when he hasn't elevated South Africa to the level of Utopia.

I didn't even know Noah was from South Africa, though he was from Europe. Kinda makes me a bit more interested, but honestly I'm unsure if I the combo of Last Week Tonight and the short Colbert Report segments on The Late Show leaves me wanting to add another one into the mix.

I can't stand Larry's show strictly because of how dumb the format is. At least Daily Show won't change in that regard.

Slayven

Still seems weird. He really came out of nowhere. Most people were thinking Sam Bee or Jessica Williams would get the call. I guess the idea was to 'reboot' TDS with a relative outsider.

worked the first time.

Folks really don't remember the Kelborn/Stewart transition.

OctoMan

Banned
John Oliver and Craig Ferguson are probably my two favorite late night talk show hosts. Difference is you could tell those guys loved America for all its faults and their criticism came from a place of wanting it to be better than it was. This guy emanates smugness, which is made even worse because he's not even from a place you could argue has got their shit together more than the US, South Africa is fucking terrible.
I like him but it's pretty much impossible to be more smug than John Oliver

I didn't even know Noah was from South Africa, though he was from Europe. Kinda makes me a bit more interested, but honestly I'm unsure if I the combo of Last Week Tonight and the short Colbert Report segments on The Late Show leaves me wanting to add another one into the mix.

I can't stand Larry's show strictly because of how dumb the format is. At least Daily Show won't change in that regard.
You don't like the chat? I love that. It's nice because it reminds me of how I talk politics and news with friends. Lot better than some dude lecturing others. I also think it's gotten a lot better and they've played with it more.

Korigama

Have tickets for two weeks from now. Kinda sad I never got to see Jon but I'm excited to give this show a shot. I've become less and less enamored with Jon and Colbert's sarcastic and excessively cynical tone, it's exhausting. I like what wilmore I'd doing and hopefully what Trevor will be doing.

I used to love the liberal kind of "look how crazy everybody else is" style but its lazy and counterproductive.
?

Remember, you cannot be both young and wise. Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don’t learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us. Cynics always say no. But saying “yes” begins things. Saying “yes” is how things grow. Saying “yes” leads to knowledge. “Yes” is for young people. So for as long as you have the strength to, say “yes'.
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/95264-remember-you-cannot-be-both-young-and-wise-young-people

He emanates blackness, is your problem, I think. You're clearly not conscious of it, but when you use words like "emanates", that's what's happening.

John Oliver and Craig Ferguson just happen to be white. The good kind of english speaking white foreigners.

Because clearly, Trevor Noah doesn't love America for all its faults, and his criticism didn't come from a place of wanting it to be better than it is.
*rolleyes*

Give me a goddamn break, I'd love for an African-American host to have taken over. You know, someone actually qualified to speak on American issues.

You don't like the chat? I love that. It's nice because it reminds me of how I talk politics and news with friends. Lot better than some dude lecturing others. I also think it's gotten a lot better and they've played with it more.
Yeah. I'm not understanding the Larry hate. Again, he's doing something slightly different, and he's been pretty good (minus a few questionable panels). As time has gone on, the show has grown on me enough to DVR it and watch after Stephen..

To be fair I haven't watched it in a while, so the format might be worked out now. But my issue was that I watched Stewart and Colbert for Stewart and Colbert. Larry has so many people I felt like he really wasn't a great host because he never got enough focus when I watched.

Codeblue

Chat has the potential to be good. I loved Tough Crowd, but Wilmore is too gentle.

Slayven

Yeah. I'm not understanding the Larry hate. Again, he's doing something slightly different, and he's been pretty good (minus a few questionable panels). As time has gone on, the show has grown on me enough to DVR it and watch after Stephen..

I think it is because Wilmore talks about things with a different slant and often different topics then what the Stewart/Corbert demo is use to. Folks don't like being outside their comfort zone

Jonm1010

Banned
Give me a goddamn break, I'd love for an African-American host to have taken over. You know, someone actually qualified to speak on American issues.

I keep wanting to give you the benefit of a doubt but you keep making it look bad for yourself.

So two white foreigners are qualified to speak on American issues? In fact you love them. But this guy isnt? A black South African isnt qualified? Because he emanates a foreign smugness that I haven't seen since, I don't know, John Oliver. The white foreigner you love?

I don't think your reasoning is blatantly racist(giving you the benefit of a doubt here) but you certainly aren't doing yourself any favors with your shifting criticisms that similarly apply to the white guys you love. Throw on top of that the anger that seems to be in your posts toward Noah and its a bit jarring.

Jonm1010

Banned
I think it is because Wilmore talks about things with a different slant and often different topics then what the Stewart/Corbert demo is use to. Folks don't like being outside their comfort zone

Personally I just haven't found his shows as intellectually stimulating as Stewart's, Colbert's(old show) or Oliver's. That and I just don't find Wilmore or the show that funny when I have watched it.

Combining those two things and I just haven't been motivated to watch the show regularly.

I keep wanting to give you the benefit of a doubt but you keep making it look bad for yourself.

So two white foreigners are qualified to speak on American issues? In fact you love them. But this guy isnt? A black South African isnt qualified? Because he emanates a foreign smugness that I haven't seen since, I don't know, John Oliver. The white foreigner you love?

I don't think your reasoning is blatantly racist(giving you the benefit of a doubt here) but you certainly aren't doing yourself any favors with your shifting criticisms that similarly apply to the white guys you love. Throw on top of that the anger that seems to be in your posts toward Noah and its a bit jarring.

Look, I disagree with his point of view but tying it to racism is going a bit too far given such a small sample. Having a black friend does not make a person non-racist and the counter is true, not liking a black person (singular) does not make a person racist. They are just 3 men, two white and one black and he happens to not like the black one.

If you find a person funny like he does with John Oliver, smugness comes across as confidence whereas he doesn't find Trevor Noah funny and so his confidence comes across as smugness.

And for those that would feel that way it's a shame, because Larry certainly isn't one playing for a particular team. He has his opinions, which clearly bother me because he's going against the hive! If you don't give him the time of day, you'll never know who the man is..

Chariot

Look, I disagree with his point of view but tying it to racism is going a bit too far given such a small sample. Having a black friend does not make a person non-racist and the counter is true, not liking a black person (singular) does not make a person racist. They are just 3 men, two white and one black and he happens to not like the black one.

If you find a person funny like he does with John Oliver, smugness comes across as confidence whereas he doesn't find Trevor Noah funny and so his confidence comes across as smugness.
He literally said that he don't like Trevor for coming from South Africa, while he adores John Oliver who arrived from the Unite Kingdom.

Personally I just haven't found his shows as intellectually stimulating as Stewart's, Colbert's(old show) or Oliver's. That and I just don't find Wilmore or the show that funny when I have watched it.

Combining those two things and I just haven't been motivated to watch the show regularly.
Look, I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here, but when the only show you don't find intellectually stimulating is hosted by the black guy there's only one logical conclusion to draw.

Jonm1010

Banned

How about we let him answer for himself? I said twice I am giving him the benefit of a doubt but his reaction to Noah is very jarring. Very hostile. And then all of his justifications are equally applicable to those he says he loves. Which makes his responses even more head scratching.

If he doesnt like him because he doesn't find him funny then he would be no different then a number of posters in here but he specifically objected to him because of his foreigner status. Then because of his smugness. Both labels that apply to two people he says he loves.

It doesnt default that his internal reasoning based on that and hypocritical application to white comedians vs a black comedian is racially motivated, which is what i kept saying, but he isnt doing himself any favors with his responses. And his inability to reconcile these conflicting points of logic are doing him no favors right now.

Jonm1010

Banned
Look, I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here, but when the only show you don't find intellectually stimulating is hosted by the black guy there's only one logical conclusion to draw.

I never said there is only one conclusion to draw about that poster, I said that based on his hypocritical reasoning and anger that it is head scratching to me and that I can understand why he is getting some of the responses he is getting. The fact he continues to hold these double standards is what I am responding to. I don't think anywhere I am applying double standards am I?

Larry's show has horrid writers compared to what Daily Show and Colbert Report (as spotty as they were in later years) were putting out, the panels are both too short and too crowded for any actual conversation to take place when everyone has to get their zingers and crowd applause breaks in, and larry can't moderate worth shit.

I like Larry Wilmore himself, but basically everything surrounding him is letting him down. The nightly show needs help.

Guess Who

Banned
Larry's show has horrid writers compared to what Daily Show and Colbert Report (as spotty as they were in later years) were putting out, the panels are both too short and too crowded for any actual conversation to take place when everyone has to get their zingers and crowd applause breaks in, and larry can't moderate worth shit.

The nightly show needs help.

Yuuuuup. Show's garbage.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Meanwhile you're calling his country shit. What are your qualifications exactly?

there are plenty of writers from many backgrounds working on the show if you think one person writes all the jokes and points of views for these things go do some research

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

I like Larry Wilmore himself, but basically everything surrounding him is letting him down. The nightly show needs help.

I think the writers are ok, but I agree completely on the rest.
When was the last time you watched it?

I was hoping they would restructure it a bit, but apparently they have not?

As far as Larry Wilmore goes, I'm still on the fence about him. He has had good shows, he has had amazing shows, but overall there's a certain corniness to his jokes that I can't shake. I'm glad that the Keep It 100 stuff was toned down for sure. Mike Yard is the best.

Fuck Jordan Carlos, though. Whenever you see him on the Nightly Show, you know that segment is doomed.

As far as Trevor goes? Damn, guys... Give him time to, you know, actually have his show tomorrow?

I sort of understand where you're coming from but this came off pretty badly...

Abounder

Banned
I think Trevor Noah is going to be great, loved his stand up and the interview with Seinfeld. One thing's for sure though: there's a ton of competition out there with HBO, Oliver's youtube, and Colbert. It will be interesting to see how TDS changes. He's also experienced some pretty serious shit so there will be a worldly perspective, apartheid....goddamn

Jonm1010

Banned
To get things a bit back on track:

Before Trevor Noah takes over one of the most recognizable shows in TV from one of TV's most beloved hosts, he's getting in some practice.

The 31-year-old South African comedian has held several tests shows in September with his last taking place on Thursday night.

While the test show will never air, it allowed Noah and his "Daily Show" staff to get ready before Monday's big debut.

To kick off the show, Noah didn't scribble on his script like Jon Stewart, choosing instead to calmly introduced himself as if it was his actual first broadcast.

"This is surreal for me," Noah began. "Growing up in the dusty streets of South Africa, I never dreamed that I would one day have two things: an indoor toilet and a job as the host of the 'Daily Show.' Now, I have both."

Noah addressed how strange it must be for viewers to not see Jon Stewart behind the desk.

"It kind of feels like the family has a new step-dad... and he's black," Noah said to a big laugh.

Noah acknowledged Stewart for believing in him and promised to continue Stewart's "war on bulls***."

Will Trevor Noah be a liberal icon?

Noah's first segment touched on Pope Francis' U.S. trip and included long-time correspondent Jordan Klepper, who tried unsuccessfully to turn attention to China's President Xi Jinping, who is also in the U.S.

The rebooted "Daily Show" also introduced two new correspondents in Ronny Chieng and Roy Wood Jr.

Wood's energy grabbed the audience as he pretended to be outside Madison Square Garden waiting for Pope Francis with gifts that were actually clutter he cleaned out of his apartment.

Noah welcomed CNN host Fareed Zakaria as his guest for the show's final segment, calling him one of the smartest people he knows.

The two spoke at length about Washington politics and the Iran nuclear deal along with mentioning that Zakaria was one of Stewart's most frequent guests.

Following the interview, Noah closed the show the same way Stewart had for years with a simple "moment of zen" before bidding the audience a goodnight.

The hundreds in Thursday's audience were treated to a brand new host along with a brand new set.

The set had a sleek look with a dark blue color tone, and while completely different from the one that Jon Stewart hosted from for years it did have the same feel.

On Monday Noah has the almost impossible task of replacing Stewart not only as an entertaining host, but as a news commenter for millions of people.

Noah and the show's content in many ways had the comedic edge and brains of Stewart's long-time telecast. However, it may take viewers some time to warm up to someone who is just not Jon Stewart.

For Andrew Hartnett, who was in the audience on Thursday, Noah seemingly pulled it off giving an unexpectedly steady performance.

"He seemed very confident, which was the thing I wasn't expecting," Hartnett said. "He seemed to kind of fill the role."

Rachel Bergnam, 22, who had been to a Stewart taping, said that the energy felt very much like the "Daily Show" of old.

"He can't replace Jon," she added. "But it was a really positive experience."
http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/25/media/trevor-noah-daily-show-test-shows/

Im cautiously optimistic.

EDIT: Heres a video on the new correspondent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onZqFsJMNIw

Its off putting that comedy central UK will be showing this after they made a big deal about the show not getting enough viewers and then refusing to show Jon's last few months.

Its off putting that comedy central UK will be showing this after they made a big deal about the show not getting enough viewers and then refusing to show Jon's last few months.
Considering how many times I've heard how Jon was phoning it in, and the shows drop in quality (not my opinion), could you blame them?

It's something new. I'm sure they'll chuck him in the fire if the show doesn't deliver immediately..like most of the folks tuning in.

I don't think Noah is particularly funny but then again I didn't think Stewart was funny at all. Seems like he could be a decent host and grow into the role, although I think it's clear this is just a stepping stone for him that'll lead to something bigger.

I also think it's really clear a lot of people won't give him a chance. The post earlier about him not loving America because...he played a smug character on The Daily Show strikes me as pure stupidity. Ultimately I think it's smart that the show is clearly looking to expand the audience because more than a few people are going to immediately stop watching because of some random complaint. Stewart was horrible at the job for years before settling in. Surely Noah deserves a season to get his feet under him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom