• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod Discussion and News [Creation Kit released]

S0N0S

Been out of the loop for some time, is there a new kid on the block when it comes to post-sharpening? FXAA Injector seems to have been hidden by author on nexus: http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=131 so I thought an alternative had come along?

Also, I can't remember, how's the game with AA? Just want some smooth edges ( Nvidia ) any recommended setting?

injectSMAA seems to give the best results when it comes to post-process AA solutions and I highly recommend it. Video comparing SMAA to other AA methods. Compared to FXAA, SMAA doesn't degrade image quality nearly as much - especially text, which looks terrible when using FXAA injector - and is likely the best alternative to MSAA. You can even use it with other directx games.

Performance hit is roughly equivalent to FXAA Post Process Injector and similar mods: minimal. You can even use it in conjunction with something like Realistic Colors and Nights, Skyrim Enhanced Shaders, or any post process injector that is capable of linking ProxyLibraries.

Personally, for color correction and post processing, I use Realistic Lighting Without Post Processing, a slightly modified Skyrim Enhanced Shaders(lower daytime and nighting darkening), and, via ProxyLibrary, injectSmaa. They work together beautifully. Hopefully I can post some shots later.

Also, as my first post, I should say I've been watching the Skyrim modding threads since release, so I'm glad to finally be able to participate with everyone else here. I must say you've all been very resourceful! I've got some 200 different mods installed at this point - thanks in part these threads - so I'm eager to share.

Jtrizzy

So what are people expecting out of the creation kit? I'd love to see a really easy, safe, and automated way to use mods. Can't wait to see performance gains in the next patch...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So what are people expecting out of the creation kit? I'd love to see a really easy, safe, and automated way to use mods. Can't wait to see performance gains in the next patch...

Don't expect it to be the end of stuff like Skyrim Nexus or other mods that really don't necessarily depend on the CK and Steams delivery system. This should be a ton better if they cater to the fans and make it as easy if not easier than the current mod managers. On the mod front, skies the limit.

I hope the main mods have a link right into the Steam page which the product is in or however it works. I want it to be as easy and accessible as can be. Not make it impossible to find mods.

Jtrizzy

I'm hoping there will be a consensus texture mod for example, or ENB etc that everyone uses and I just click yes to install and use.

Right now I'm using Skyboost r4, but if I wanted to do ENB it would involve a more complicated process it seems, and I have to worry about changing files and messing things up.

r1chard

I'm hoping the creation kit release will make things like the script extenders redundant. I'm not entirely sure what they do though, but I don't like having to replace the launcher binary to use them.

Christine

Anyone know why A Quality World Map - With Roads might not play well with Mod Organizer? I've tried installing it through MO and installing it manually, and it only works if I don't boot Skyrim through MO.

Also, does anyone know which texture mod(s) have a replacement for this abomination?

TalosCrest.png

Possibly the worst texture/texture placement in the game.

Tess3ract

Banned
Hey guys...

I've been playing a LOT the last few days and capping a lot of really awesome screens.

Check out this bad boy, I'm really quite proud of this one.

[mg]http://i.minus.com/iblmjaw5ii4J9f.jpg[/img]
Sorry for the dissent, but that looks bad. Everything is washed out because of all that bloom :\

Nekrono

I'm hoping there will be a consensus texture mod for example, or ENB etc that everyone uses and I just click yes to install and use.

Right now I'm using Skyboost r4, but if I wanted to do ENB it would involve a more complicated process it seems, and I have to worry about changing files and messing things up.

Why do you say that? I'm using Skyboost r4 and using ENB, I just copy/pasted the files into Skyrim's main folder.

Both seem to be working fine unless I missed something. It does run at about half the framerate but that's ENB for you, I'm still above 35 FPS 90% of the times so I'm ok.

Ledsen

I'm hoping the creation kit release will make things like the script extenders redundant. I'm not entirely sure what they do though, but I don't like having to replace the launcher binary to use them.

I don't know, script extenders have basically been a requirement for TES games since Morrowind, even with the construction set. There are many advanced scripting functions that modders eventually want to use that aren't in the CS.

"Consensus" is not really a word that exists in TES modding. Too many mods, too many opinions.

Erethian

You're still going to need script extenders. They're there to expose extra data to the modder so that they can do more with scripting than the base implementation allows.

An example is how SkyUI uses a SKSE plugin so the mod can see stuff like the enchantment attributes of armor/weapons.

HooYaH

The guy who did Fallout 3 and FO New Vegas texture pack (NMC) has started working on Skyrim. I also think the author of Skyrim Enhanced Shaders is going to start doing his texture pack soon. He did textures Ojo Bueno Pack for New Vegas.

Patch notes from 1.4 (which are already added to the OP) should mean that either next week or very soon after the update hits, we will be in a new phase for mods. The time is near.
So for the people using mods and specially Skyboost is it recommended not to put the game on automatic updates in Steam?

NBtoaster

So for the people using mods and specially Skyboost is it recommended not to put the game on automatic updates in Steam?

If you want to continue using the mods you have until they are updated to be fully compatable with 1.4, you should disable automatic game updates, and make sure to always launch Skyrim while Steam is in offline mode (otherwise it will update).

If you want to continue using the mods you have until they are updated to be fully compatable with 1.4, you should disable automatic game updates, and make sure to always launch Skyrim while Steam is in offline mode (otherwise it will update).
Thanks for clearing that up NBtoaster. Don't have any mods yet. I was thinking about not updating because i was planing to use Skyboost at some stage.

Also even with auto updates turned off you need to be in offline mode? Then why allow the option to not auto update? Quite fucking stupid if it works in that way.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Luckily the modders have updated their mods and most work without issue. Unless there is something really drastic, most should transition to 1.4 without issue.

This is weird, and it seems like it's not just me who is having this problem, but my game crashes whenever I start to approach Windhelm.

It's like there is a bubble dome around Windhelm that is stopping me from getting near it, every time I try and go to Windhelm the game starts to drop frame rate and then CTD no matter what every time, and if I try and save it as I get closer, the saves that are on that cusp of the bubble will not load.

So weird! If I try and fast travel in there, if I stand still and don't move the camera it will work, but as soon as I do anything - BOOM, CTD, sometimes even complete computer restart!!

WTF!

NBtoaster

Thanks for clearing that up NBtoaster. Don't have any mods yet. I was thinking about not updating because i was planing to use Skyboost at some stage.

Also even with auto updates turned off you need to be in offline mode? Then why allow the option to not auto update? Quite fucking stupid if it works in that way.

That's how it worked last time it was updated.

Though because they're doing a beta release of the patch first, it will probably give enough time for all mods to be updated before 1.4 hits for everyone.

Also, you should really be using skyboost now, it improves the game experience by the ton with no known side effects.

goodfella

This is weird, and it seems like it's not just me who is having this problem, but my game crashes whenever I start to approach Windhelm.

It's like there is a bubble dome around Windhelm that is stopping me from getting near it, every time I try and go to Windhelm the game starts to drop frame rate and then CTD no matter what every time, and if I try and save it as I get closer, the saves that are on that cusp of the bubble will not load.

So weird! If I try and fast travel in there, if I stand still and don't move the camera it will work, but as soon as I do anything - BOOM, CTD, sometimes even complete computer restart!!

WTF!

You do have a shit ton of mods, so there's that.

WTF!
I have that problem with a game where I get CTD's when I enter the Companions place in Whiterun. Once I'm in if I try to leave it crashes. At first I thought it was because, inexplicably, there was someone there who was alive that should be dead (in a Companions story). No idea why but he was walking around. I certainly did not revive him. But even after killing him off I still get CTD's and also when saving on travel or wait or quick saves. Luckily a hard save is okay. The fact is if something in the game gets fucked up it can crash the game. And there are plenty of bugs and flaws in the game. I had that problem in Fallout 3 where entering the sewer in the water treatment area CTD'd the game. It's just Bethesda I'm afraid!

Erethian

That's how it worked last time it was updated.

Though because they're doing a beta release of the patch first, it will probably give enough time for all mods to be updated before 1.4 hits for everyone.

Alos, you should really be using skyboost now, it improves the game experience by the ton with no known side effects.

It was nice to see Bethesda make, "Customers are our beta testers" official with that opt-in patch beta testing.

Which I actually think is a good idea, it's just funny to see it now. And not surprising considering how they essentially let the community test out making the game LAA, and using compiler optimisation flags, before they implemented it themselves.

How does the 'realistic 1st person' mod work? Since BF3, 1st person games that don't show me my body when I look down are just unacceptable, particularly in a game with as much clothing customisation as Skyrim. How does it cope with different FOVs, etc.?

Getting ready to enter Skyrim for the first time. I actually played the intro when it first came out, then decided to wait for patches and mods. Have like 20 "high res this or that" mods loaded up. Ready to do this.

Do I bother with the ENB stuff if I'm using mods? I was kind of confused going to their site and seeing different versions, and the newest one saying it was really for people who can't run mods. Not sure who or why that would be.

Ledsen

Getting ready to enter Skyrim for the first time. I actually played the intro when it first came out, then decided to wait for patches and mods. Have like 20 "high res this or that" mods loaded up. Ready to do this.

Do I bother with the ENB stuff if I'm using mods? I was kind of confused going to their site and seeing different versions, and the newest one saying it was really for people who can't run mods. Not sure who or why that would be.

Don't use ANY mods except maybe interface mods for at least the first 10-20 hours. Especially not ENB. Get a feel for the game first. Many "high res" mods look like shit so I would advice you to skip them too, don't assume they're better than vanilla. Except isokus realistic water which is awesome.

Dwayne

Don't use ANY mods except maybe interface mods for at least the first 10-20 hours. Especially not ENB. Get a feel for the game first. Many "high res" mods look like shit so I would advice you to skip them too, don't assume they're better than vanilla. Except isokus realistic water which is awesome.

I agree + you don't want to spend the first 10-20 hours of the game coming in and out enable and disabling mods, fiddling with settings and such. Enjoy the game a bit and then try them out.

I would recommend using SkyUI though, it's really fantastic.

I'm using a bunch of high res stuff from the OP, and the game looks fucking fantastic. I am also using the SkyUI mod. The game for sure looks much better then before.

pirata

If I'm interested in using mods, should I wait until the Steam workshop stuff is added, or should I just go ahead and start modding?

Enco

If I'm interested in using mods, should I wait until the Steam workshop stuff is added, or should I just go ahead and start modding?
Go ahead and start modding.

Knowing Bethesda, the CK will probably be delayed again. Plus there are already some great mods.

Wallach

That depends on how good their optimization are. Let's not give Bethesda too much credit.

Well, bear in mind that Bethesda also has access to Skyboost. The only way I could imagine them not copying it wholesale at a minimum is if elements of it revealed issues during testing. Users are a lot more accepting of a mod introducing issues than they are a patch.

That depends on how good their optimization are. Let's not give Bethesda too much credit.

Well the guy who made TESVAL was talking about how a compiler could do tons of optimization, he was only able to scratch the surface cause he doesn't have one

Arisu said:
Skyrim would probably experience an execution speed gain of over 100% just by using an optimizing compiler,
as it has drastic consequences to the amount of code that could be detected as being redundant and thus completely eliminated.

But you're right it's Bethesda, they could screw it up :p

pirata

Could someone perhaps make a 'modding for dummies' guide? I've downloaded the Nexus thing and the mod organizer, but I have no idea what to do next.

EDIT: With the script extender, do I have to launch the game every time using skse_loader.exe? Does that mean in order to use the sky_UI mod, you can't launch Skyrim through Steam?

neoism

guys what is the deal

I want to have more weight because I just want everything on my character. I used command
player. setav carrywieght 1000 a 100 hours ago, and just now tried to add 2000. But when I load my save up again its back to 1360. How do you get it to stick so I don't have to type it everytime I load my game. :/

Erethian

Could someone perhaps make a 'modding for dummies' guide? I've downloaded the Nexus thing and the mod organizer, but I have no idea what to do next.

EDIT: With the script extender, do I have to launch the game every time using skse_loader.exe? Does that mean in order to use the sky_UI mod, you can't launch Skyrim through Steam?

Yeah, to use SkyUI or any other mod that uses SKSE you have to launch through skse_loader.exe

But the game will still run through Steam, track your achievements and playtime, and all that.

Eiji

guys what is the deal

I want to have more weight because I just want everything on my character. I used command
player. setav carrywieght 1000 a 100 hours ago, and just now tried to add 2000. But when I load my save up again its back to 1360. How do you get it to stick so I don't have to type it everytime I load my game. :/

player.modav carryweight 2000

Enco

Yeah, to use SkyUI or any other mod that uses SKSE you have to launch through skse_loader.exe

But the game will still run through Steam, track your achievements and playtime, and all that.

I launch the game through steam and Sky UI works fine. I get a warning about it not finding Skse or something but it still works.

spirity

This is a handy walkthrough, it should explain everything.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GophersVids#p/u/21/N_4RotEtks0

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
I launch the game through steam and Sky UI works fine. I get a warning about it not finding Skse or something but it still works.
A few things are disabled when you don't use SKSE, auto sorting of containers, filter search, and extra item icons.

Seems I have figured out why my game is crashing now.

My save file has gone over 8mb.

Apparently the game starts to experience crashes when the save file is over 7mb in certain areas!

I'm hoping patch 1.4 will fix this... I really hope it will.

Edit - or perhaps not.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Seems I have figured out why my game is crashing now.

My save file has gone over 8mb.

Apparently the game starts to experience crashes when the save file is over 7mb in certain areas!

I'm hoping patch 1.4 will fix this... I really hope it will.

Edit - or perhaps not.

huh..that's weird,never heard of the infamous save file size problem on the PC :/

huh..that's weird,never heard of the infamous save file size problem on the PC :/

I think it's a problem with my save file - i can't go near Windhelm, and for some reason my game has started crashing a bit more often than usual however I haven't changed it or added any mods for a few days because I decided it was about time that I progressed in the game a bit further so I've been playing, I played like 30 hours over 3 days and it went fine, then just yesterday it wen't fucking caput for no reason.

It's like my PC was having a bad day or something.

NBtoaster

I think it's a problem with my save file - i can't go near Windhelm, and for some reason my game has started crashing a bit more often than usual however I haven't changed it or added any mods for a few days because I decided it was about time that I progressed in the game a bit further so I've been playing, I played like 30 hours over 3 days and it went fine, then just yesterday it wen't fucking caput for no reason.

It's like my PC was having a bad day or something.

Have you tried validating your installation through Steam?

Have you tried validating your installation through Steam?

Yep, first thing I did.

I tried turning off all my mods - still happens.

New game, doesn't happen.

So it's something to do with my character and some sort of plot progression bug I assume.

There are a lot of those fixes coming in the next patch so I can only assume that they will fix that.

I've downloaded the Dohvakiin Hideout mod today and I'm going to try and get into Whiterun through the basement of my house - it's not really "right" but I'll give it a shot ay?

Top Bottom