• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Question about sneaking: do sneaking percentages stack? If I have stealth of 2/5 (25% harder to detect), Ciceros hat (sneaking is 35% better), and Boots of the Old Gods (sneaking is 20% better), does that equal 80% better at sneaking?

80% of what?

cdyhybrid

Finally figured out what my completion run character is going to be.

2H Weapons, Heavy Armor, Conjuration. Trying to decide if I should go Summoner or Necromancer, though. I know Dremora Lords are crazy powerful, but I wonder if there are any comparable "pets" I can get through Necromancy.

Also have to figure out what race. Beast races are out because they don't really interest me for any character I plan to play for a while. I've already played Bosmer, Redguard, and Dunmer a bunch. I guess it comes down to these:

• Nord - 2H Weapons bonus, obviously the "home" race, Frost Resist bonus (since I'll be starting this character when Frostfall 2.0 is released)
  • Imperial - Heavy Armor bonus, follower bonus (but I'm not sure this applies to summoned/raised things?)
  • Breton - Haven't played one before, Magic Resistance (will be very useful end-game) and bonus to Conjuration
  • Altmer - Haven't played one before, bonus Magicka and Conjuration bonus will be very useful, but it'll be weird since I plan on killing every Thalmor I come across once I'm strong enough

Ugh, decisions.

Slermy

2H Weapons, Heavy Armor, Conjuration. Trying to decide if I should go Summoner or Necromancer, though. I know Dremora Lords are crazy powerful, but I wonder if there are any comparable "pets" I can get through Necromancy.

Going through the Companion's guild once, I resurrected a
werewolf
while fighting the
Silver Hand
. That was pretty awesome, he did crazy damage.

Also have to figure out what race. Beast races are out because they don't really interest me for any character I plan to play for a while. I've already played Bosmer, Redguard, and Dunmer a bunch. I guess it comes down to these:

• Nord - 2H Weapons bonus, obviously the "home" race, Frost Resist bonus (since I'll be starting this character when Frostfall 2.0 is released)
  • Imperial - Heavy Armor bonus, follower bonus (but I'm not sure this applies to summoned/raised things?)
  • Breton - Haven't played one before, Magic Resistance (will be very useful end-game) and bonus to Conjuration
  • Altmer - Haven't played one before, bonus Magicka and Conjuration bonus will be very useful, but it'll be weird since I plan on killing every Thalmor I come across once I'm strong enough

Ugh, decisions.
I'd suggest 1H instead, that way you can actively hold a Conjuration spell in your off hand rather than having to sheathe your weapon. Also, do both with regards to Summoner/Necromancer. There's few enough perks that you can get them all without hampering skill development on the warrior side of things.

So....how bout them dragons?

Can't wait to ride one of those bad boys.

dragonpeakswqh5.jpg

curlycare

Just a few more posts until the Dragonborn OT, we can do it guys. :lol

Wait for the Dlc is going to be agony if it's the usual case of pc version releasing a month later. Last year I spent my whole Christmas holiday playing Skyrim and probably will do it again this year, with or without Dragonborn.

cdyhybrid

I don't really see the appeal in flying a dragon, unless you could somehow have aerial battles with other dragons, and that'd be too much for console DLC.

I'd be surprised if it's anything more than a pretty version of fast travel. Something like the wyverns/gryphons in WoW. Something that flies on a predetermined path but lets you see the landscape below you in the process.

curlycare

I really can't imagine how the dragon riding would work in the Ps3 version, as the performance can be pretty bad even without any DLC. Maybe if the dragons flew really slow the world would have more time to stream in. But that wouldn't be too fun would it. assuming Dragonborn ever arrives to the platform.

I really can't imagine how the dragon riding would work in the Ps3 version, as the performance can be pretty bad even without any DLC. Maybe if the dragons flew really slow the world would have more time to stream in. But that wouldn't be too fun would it. assuming Dragonborn ever arrives to the platform.

I really think expecting DLC on the PS3 is only wishful thinking at this point.

Not sure how well the 360 will fare, though.

I'd be surprised if it's anything more than a pretty version of fast travel. Something like the wyverns/gryphons in WoW. Something that flies on a predetermined path but lets you see the landscape below you in the process.

I'd be surprised if it was that much. I expect dragons to act like the carriages - glorofied fast travel. You'll probably ride a dragon to and from Solstheim, and nowhere else.

The real question is whether we'll get this day one with the Xbox 360 version, (or near it), since PC and PS3 content is coming soon.

On the one hand, I want the content now! On the other hand, I do enjoy the 360 players getting to be the Beta testers.

curlycare

I wonder if Dragonborn will be the last piece of DLC since Skyrim came over a year ago and wasn't Shivering Isles also released a year or something after Oblivion.

If it is, it's a shame. I could play this game forever.

Lakitu

st5fu
I wonder if Dragonborn will be the last piece of DLC since Skyrim came over a year ago and wasn't Shivering Isles also released a year or something after Oblivion.

Yeah, I'm wondering the same. I hope Dragonborn is at least good but I really wanted more than what we got.

Volimar

I think we'll get more, since they kind of have the extra buffer of the switch to the next gen consoles to get over before they release the next one.

injurai

Banned

I think we'll get more, since they kind of have the extra buffer of the switch to the next gen consoles to get over before they release the next one.

I would expect 1 more big piece of DLC from Bethesda. Like what was mentioned the gap when transitioning generations. Fallout 3 and NV both recieved a ton of DLC, and while the Skyrim ones are bigger, I would expect Bethesda to still get the most out of there game.

Other than Skyrim DLC, they only have TES:Online which will be a bit of a gamble. Best thing to do is fallback on a strong IP for a while.

curlycare

Let's hope for the best that we'll get one more dlc.

Wonder if any of the info"leaks" from Dragonborn beta are true. There have been a few threads about it around different forums.

GhaleonEB

I would expect 1 more big piece of DLC from Bethesda. Like what was mentioned the gap when transitioning generations. Fallout 3 and NV both recieved a ton of DLC, and while the Skyrim ones are bigger, I would expect Bethesda to still get the most out of there game.

Other than Skyrim DLC, they only have TES:Online which will be a bit of a gamble. Best thing to do is fallback on a strong IP for a while.

Bethesda did say that they were going to do fewer pieces of DLC to facilitate making them larger, though. Hopefully they at least mention if they have more coming after Dragonborn ships.

And I've decided that I'm so re-hooked on the game right now that I'm going to pick up Dawnguard, eventually. Probably after I've taken a character through all of Dragonborn. I just can't get enough of the game.

(And another part of me wants those damn achievements. Curse them.)

I think we're getting at least one more DLC piece after Dragonborn, even if Bethesda is developing Fallout 4 for Orbis/720 there's still a long time to go and afaik Skyrim is still doing great, the mod scene is still going at it hard and the game was #1 for a good part of this Steam sale.

Ready for OT3 just in time for Dragonborn. Nice.

It's pretty amazing, isn't it?

I'll probably put it up later today. Look for it in Gaming. If we could fill this thread up in the next few hours, that'd be awesome.

So guys, here's my request: post your favorite Skyrim experience you remember. Let's finish this thread in style.

It's pretty amazing, isn't it?

I'll probably put it up later today. Look for it in Gaming. If we could fill this thread up in the next few hours, that'd be awesome.

So guys, here's my request: post your favorite Skyrim experience you remember. Let's finish this thread in style.

Putting the game in the tray for the first time, creating my first character-Imperial female named Alessandria- and walking out of the dungeons under Helgen with Ralof, to be greeted by the sight of Bleak Falls Barrow and Alduin soaring overhead. And realizing that there is a massive world out there, just waiting to have its ass kicked (or saved, depending on its alignment).
First trip into Bleak Falls is great as well.

My recent favorite would probably have to be my first trip into the Soul Cairn. I'd had a pretty crappy day and just cancelled all my plans to sit down and play some Skyrim instead. Stayed up late, entered the Soul Cairn around midnight, with the lights out all around the house. I was on my toes the entire time: not knowing what else I could expect from a place so creepily alien. Great stuff.

curlycare

I've had so much fun with the game it's hard to pinpoint any specific experiences.
Maybe the first real (not Mirmulnir) encounter with a dragon in the middle of the night,
first hearing it's roar and then trying to hide from it in the woods, failing miserably and getting torn to pieces in the rythm of the awesome theme song.

Being Skyrim's first astronaut after trying to fight a giant is also heartwarming memory.

cdyhybrid

Me and Lydia fighting a dragon along with a giant and his two mammoth buddies.

A battle royale between me, a fort of bandits, and some patrolling vampires.

hemtae

I guess I'll share. My favorite moment was killing Astrid with my first character because I was mildly annoyed with her for kidnapping me then telling me to kill some people. I thought she would be one of those essential characters that Bethesda is so fond of but they surprised me.

curlycare

I guess I'll share. My favorite moment was killing Astrid with my first character because I was mildly annoyed with her for kidnapping me then telling me to kill some people. I thought she would be one of those essential characters that Bethesda is so fond of but they surprised me.

Yeah this. Spent ages thinking what would be the best thing do with my "paragon" character.

Here's a literal wall of shame.

fTgS8.jpg

I don't post all that much, but I really enjoy talking about this game.

Still, my goal is to let someone else take the crown in OT3. It'll probably fail. :lol

curlycare

^Heh nice percentage for you :)

Hopefully I can up my postcount in the OT3, been just sitting around with this account for too long :p

GhaleonEB

As a Halo fan, I often reference or see references to that first moment you stepped out of the drop ship on the second mission and saw the world around you open up. Part of it was the time, and part of it was the juxtaposition of the first mission being a narrow hallway crawl, which then opens up into the vista we see. It's an incredible moment, one of those gaming memories I'll never forget.

Skyrim gave me about a dozen such unforgettable gaming moments. Too many to list in any detail, but a few:

My first would be my first horseback ride across Skyrim, from Solitude to Riften, discovering the breadth and detail of the land along the way. The tundra, the lights in the sky, a snowstorm in the mountains, the glory of the autumn forests near Riften at dawn. I remember stopping and looking at the fish leaping up a small waterfall, which ran under the bridge I was on. And I don't think I'd ever been so excited to settle in and explore a word at length. My subsequent time with the game did not disappoint.

Discovering Arcwind Point for the first time. It's a stunningly designed area, but the battle that broke out between a frost dragon, the Draugr and myself was one for the ages. Up and down the ravine, bodies fus-roh-dah'ed off ledges, the dragon going nuts on everyone, then ending with a three way fight between myself, a high level Draugr Deathlord and the dragon. Just a truly epic game space and a sprawling battle. The snowstorm we were in was the icing on top.

The conclusion of the events in Frostflow Lighthouse. Picking up the pieces of what happened to this couple that planned out the twilight years of their life, and what befell them in Skyrim's cruel land. Their troubled but loving relationship with their kids. The tragedy of it all. And then, realizing what I needed to do at the end. No in-game prompt, no big waypoint telegraphing it. Just a final moment of kindness prompted by the story. And the game recognized it. It was a hugely powerful moment for me, one that really highlights the power of interactive story telling. Of the three Bethesda games I've played (Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim), it's probably my favorite story moment. Or at least the one that moved me the most.

A battle outside of a fort way up in the north. I'd learned Frenzy and was working on using it alongside my archery. I tagged one Stormcloak in the fort, and he chased me outside the entrance. He then got into it with someone else there, so I tagged both of them. And then, the rest of the Stormcloaks came running - 8-10 in total. And I hit them all with Frenzy, and the place just went nuts, everyone fighting each other. I stood off to the side, and managed the fight to even it out. Also, there were a couple horses in the mix. It was one of the most hilarious things I'd ever seen, and was just crazy fun. At the end there was this big pile of dead guys (and horses) and I barely had to lift a finger. And it really opened my eyes up to the array of possible ways to play the game, and what a big sandbox Skyrim really was.

There are many more. But those are a decent sample. Skyrim's been good to me. My favorite game this console generation, and high on my favorite games ever. A year and change later, and I still look forward to playing most nights.

As a Halo fan, I often reference or see references to that first moment you stepped out of the drop ship on the second mission and saw the world around you open up. Part of it was the time, and part of it was the juxtaposition of the first mission being a narrow hallway crawl, which then opens up into the vista we see. It's an incredible moment, one of those gaming memories I'll never forget.

Skyrim gave me about a dozen such unforgettable gaming moments. Too many to list in any detail, but a few:

My first would be my first horseback ride across Skyrim, from Solitude to Riften, discovering the breadth and detail of the land along the way. The tundra, the lights in the sky, a snowstorm in the mountains, the glory of the autumn forests near Riften at dawn. I remember stopping and looking at the fish leaping up a small waterfall, which ran under the bridge I was on. And I don't think I'd ever been so excited to settle in and explore a word at length. My subsequent time with the game did not disappoint.

Discovering Arcwind Point for the first time. It's a stunningly designed area, but the battle that broke out between a frost dragon, the Draugr and myself was one for the ages. Up and down the ravine, bodies fus-roh-dah'ed off ledges, the dragon going nuts on everyone, then ending with a three way fight between myself, a high level Draugr Deathlord and the dragon. Just a truly epic game space and a sprawling battle. The snowstorm we were in was the icing on top.

The conclusion of the events in Frostflow Lighthouse. Picking up the pieces of what happened to this couple that planned out the twilight years of their life, and what befell them in Skyrim's cruel land. Their troubled but loving relationship with their kids. The tragedy of it all. And then, realizing what I needed to do at the end. No in-game prompt, no big waypoint telegraphing it. Just a final moment of kindness prompted by the story. And the game recognized it. It was a hugely powerful moment for me, one that really highlights the power of interactive story telling. Of the three Bethesda games I've played (Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim), it's probably my favorite story moment. Or at least the one that moved me the most.

A battle outside of a fort way up in the north. I'd learned Frenzy and was working on using it alongside my archery. I tagged one Stormcloak in the fort, and he chased me outside the entrance. He then got into it with someone else there, so I tagged both of them. And then, the rest of the Stormcloaks came running - 8-10 in total. And I hit them all with Frenzy, and the place just went nuts, everyone fighting each other. I stood off to the side, and managed the fight to even it out. Also, there were a couple horses in the mix. It was one of the most hilarious things I'd ever seen, and was just crazy fun. At the end there was this big pile of dead guys (and horses) and I barely had to lift a finger. And it really opened my eyes up to the array of possible ways to play the game, and what a big sandbox Skyrim really was.

There are many more. But those are a decent sample. Skyrim's been good to me. My favorite game this console generation, and high on my favorite games ever.

Man, Arcwind Point was amazing. I found it in the middle of a huge snowstorm, right as I got ambushed by a dragon. It took me at least an hour to clear the place out.

Getting my first Ebony Sword out of it was a nice bonus, though I had to kill a Draugr Death Overlord first. Man, that was so hard at the time.

Here's a literal wall of shame.

fTgS8.jpg

I don't post all that much, but I really enjoy talking about this game.

Still, my goal is to let someone else take the crown in OT3. It'll probably fail. :lol
I can guarantee I'll be up there on the next list, seeing as I didn't discover this thread til maybe two months ago.

There are many more. But those are a decent sample. Skyrim's been good to me. My favorite game this console generation, and high on my favorite games ever. A year and change later, and I still look forward to playing most nights.

Don't actually remember Arcwind Point, where is that exactly?
Frostflow Lighthouse... oh man. So sad. I remember pushing through, hoping to find at least one of them alive, and coming up empty handed. Fuck the Falmer. Seriously, Fuck. Them.
You joined the Imperials? Boo this man.
Skyrim= game of forever. At least until ES 6 comes out. Wonder when that'll be.

Arjen

Frostflow lighthouse was amazing, such a great way to tell a story. Reading all the journals and books in this game really fleshes out the world.

Anteater

oh man the game freezes a lot on ps3, not sure if it's the new patches, I just stared a new character.

By a lot I mean twice from playing the intro and the first cave. Damn. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

edit: froze again :(

Edit2: again for the 4th time -_-

Slermy

oh man the game freezes a lot on ps3, not sure if it's the new patches, I just stared a new character.

By a lot I mean twice from playing the intro and the first cave. Damn. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

edit: froze again :(

Edit2: again for the 4th time -_-

Try deleting your local game data? Sounds like something is very wrong.

Top Bottom