• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Following - Kevin Bacon & James Purefoy - "Classic Poe" - Mondays on Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.
jsJoJtws3VOJ3.jpg

The Following starring Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy premieres Monday, January 21st at 9/8C on Fox.
Fox said:
THE FBI estimates there are currently up to 300 active serial killers in the United States. What would happen if these killers had a way of communicating and connecting with each other? What if they were able to work together and form alliances? What if one brilliant and charismatic, yet psychotic mastermind was able to bring them all together and activate a cult of believers following his every command?

Welcome to THE FOLLOWING, the psychological thriller from creator/executive producer Kevin Williamson ("The Vampire Diaries," "Dawson's Creek," the "Scream" franchise) and starring Golden Globe winner and Emmy Award nominee Kevin Bacon in his primetime series debut.

When notorious serial killer JOE CARROLL (James Purefoy) escapes from death row, the FBI calls former agent RYAN HARDY (Bacon) to consult on the case. Having since withdrawn from the public eye, Hardy was responsible for Carroll's capture in 2003, after Carroll murdered 14 female students on the Virginia college campus where he taught literature.

Hardy is a walking textbook of all-things Carroll. He knows him better than anyone; he is perhaps Carroll's only psychological and intellectual match. But the Ryan Hardy who broke the Carroll case years ago isn't the same man today. Wounded both physically and mentally by his previous pursuit of this serial killer, it's been a long time since Hardy has been in the field. This new investigation is his redemption, his call to action.

cPMgo.jpg

Cast
  • Kevin Bacon as Ryan Hardy
  • James Purefoy as Joe Carroll
  • Natalie Zea as Claire Matthews
  • Shawn Ashmore as Agent Weston
  • Jeananne Goossen as Agent Jennifer Mason
  • Valorie Curry as Denise
  • Adan Canto as Billy Thomas
  • Nico Tortorella as Will Wilson
  • Kyle Catlett as Joey Matthews

Trailers

Links

h12baXy.jpg

Reviews

- Variety
"The Following" is extremely well done, terrifically cinematic and, from a political standpoint, terribly ill timed -- not just featuring a charismatic serial killer and his equally homicidal cult-like followers, but in later episodes including an uncomfortable subplot involving a child. Still, if you're going to play on (or near) cable turf -- and that appears to be the goal -- there's no pulling punches, and exec producer Kevin Williamson delivers a full-throttle ride that, four episodes in, proves twisty, unpredictable and tense. Weighing those assets against the unrelenting grimness, the series deserves its own loyal following, despite qualms about its durability.
- Tim Goodman @ THR
Bottom Line: No matter how you slice it, you won’t find a quality cable series hiding inside this gory drama.
- SF Chronicle
The pilot isn't bad and the performances are pretty good, especially from Bacon, who is making his debut in series TV. The main problem with "The Following," though, isn't that by the second episode, you get the template of Williamson's gotchas it's that the violence is so gratuitous, it actually ruins what could have been a very good psychological thriller.
- Denver Post
Frankly, it would all be a bit much if the two leads weren't so darkly appealing: Bacon as the flawed, damaged hero, and James Purefoy as the handsome, brilliant mastermind behind the multiplying murders. The plotting is intricate, the entire acting ensemble is first-rate.
- Ken Tucker for EW.com
Both Bacon and Purefoy are so intensely earnest, The Following quickly supersedes its patent Silence of the Lambs setup. But Bacon's Hardy is no Jack Bauer; he's an aspiring alcoholic with a pacemaker — a telltale heart-warmer of a guy who tries to come off as cold and aloof. He doesn't fool us for a moment, though, and that's why we end up caring about this screwed-up hero and his mission to keep us safe from, and interested in, what would otherwise be merely the umpteenth serial killer in pop culture. B+
- People Weekly
This provocatively, almost boisterously violent thriller bolts into action with a clever premise and sustains it with good, unexpected jolts.

EVCXP.jpg
PMvat.jpg

Dead Man

Red Dragon, the TV show? Interested for sure. Looks like Australian tv has picked it up with very little delay for a change.

- Sepinwall's review
There's an unending fascination for this kind of show — or related gore like AMC's wildly popular "The Walking Dead" — and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if "The Following" were a big, bloody hit for FOX. But success and quality don't always neatly overlap, and "The Following" is a show that's disturbing without actually being scary, and that approaches deep, dark subjects without having anything real to say about them. Williamson may have put thought into what this show is about, but what comes across on screen is an empty exercise in fetishizing the charismatic evil of serial killers.

Hobbun

Looking forward to this, will be watching.

I was about to say “That’s Aaron Ashmore”, but then looked it up. I didn’t know Aaron had a twin brother.

I'm really surprised everyone seems to be harping on the gore angle, had no idea it was that kind of show. Thought it was more cerebral without being so overt. The premise and cast seem great, but Williamson probably ensures I won't stick around too long. In for now at least!

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Strangely widely varying opinions from those reviews. Disappointed to see Sepinwall's opinion though as I almost always agree with him.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm surprised by all the negative reactions from the critics...I thought this was getting great reviews last year when the pilot was screened for critics. That's sort of troubling. Hmm.

Purebacon and DAT ZEA*.

I'm so in.

*Ratsky, I see you. Stay away from this here thread.

lulz

ivysaur12

Banned
The pilot was good, but it wasn't great. Though I do wonder if the backlash against The Following is against a larger backlash against "excessive violence" in the wake of incidents such as Newtown. That was my feeling from TCA.

The pilot was good, but it wasn't great. Though I do wonder if the backlash against The Following is against a larger backlash against "excessive violence" in the wake of incidents such as Newtown. That was my feeling from TCA.

I'm getting this vibe as well. The context has shifted.

Strangely widely varying opinions from those reviews. Disappointed to see Sepinwall's opinion though as I almost always agree with him.
Sounds like most reviewers agree that it's violent and well-acted, but there are some questions as to where they're going with it all.
Though I do wonder if the backlash against The Following is against a larger backlash against "excessive violence" in the wake of incidents such as Newtown. That was my feeling from TCA.
It doesn't sound like Williamson did a great job of handling questions about violence at TCA and that, along with the general backlash against "excessive violence" might have something to do with some of the reviews. A lot of them address that subject specifically.

ivysaur12

Banned
Sounds like most reviewers agree that it's violent and well-acted, but there are some questions as to where they're going with it all.
It doesn't sound like Williamson did a great job of handling questions about violence at TCA and that, along with the general backlash against "excessive violence" might have something to do with some of the reviews. A lot of them address that subject specifically.

It's a bit contextual, though -- no one was talking about this type of violence when The Following was picked up. I actually thought the praise was a bit too excessive (non-procedural concepts on network TV tends to get that), but I would guess the mixed reviews are do in part to a different national conversation. Williamson is part to blame, but I sort of doubt that's the entire reason for these reviews.

It's a bit contextual, though -- no one was talking about this type of violence when The Following was picked up. I actually thought the praise was a bit too excessive (non-procedural concepts on network TV tends to get that), but I would guess the mixed reviews are do in part to a different national conversation. Williamson is part to blame, but I sort of doubt that's the entire reason for these reviews.
I'm not trying to suggest that's the only reason - just pointing out something else that may be contributing. Btw, you make a good point about the non-procedural concepts on network getting a little more of a free pass.

I'm very curious if the series will catch on and how that correlates with the quality of the show as well as whether this is the sort of thing people want to be watching right now. Also, as a few people have pointed out, they've put a ton of marketing muscle behind it. It's an interesting case to me.

I'm not trying to suggest that's the only reason - just pointing out something else that may be contributing. Btw, you make a good point about the non-procedural concepts on network getting a little more of a free pass.

I'm very curious if the series will catch on and how that correlates with the quality of the show as well as whether this is the sort of thing people want to be watching right now. Also, as a few people have pointed out, they've put a ton of marketing muscle behind it. It's an interesting case to me.

If the premiere doesn't get a pretty decent sampling I'll be shocked. Between Fox proper and FX I feel like I've 30-second scanned past thousands of ads for this since the fall season began.

It'll be more interesting to see how it does in week 2 and beyond.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Honestly, I might put off watching this for a few weeks to see what the ratings are like and to read the impressions of the next few episodes. There are just too many other shows on at the moment and I don't really have the time for a mediocre network drama. (if that's the case)

I got this, Ratsky.

Great. Another show she'll stink up for a bit and then leave for the first opportunity elsewhere.

You have my sword.

Honestly, I might put off watching this for a few weeks to see what the ratings are like and to read the impressions of the next few episodes. There are just too many other shows on at the moment and I don't really have the time for a mediocre network drama. (if that's the case)

Monday's such a slow night TV-wise that I'd give it a shot even if the reviews were significantly worse, then again I'm a loser with no life, so there's that.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Monday's such a slow night TV-wise that I'd give it a shot even if the reviews were significantly worse, then again I'm a loser with no life, so there's that.

Heh, well, so am I, but I'm also catching up on 5011 different shows on Netflix so I could easily spend that hour watching something else.

Honestly, I might put off watching this for a few weeks to see what the ratings are like and to read the impressions of the next few episodes.

yeah prob gonna do this too

bacon and marc antony are cool but i dunno if i need a fox show in my life.. somehow fx feels different

ivysaur12

Banned

I've always found that, unless the show is a huge fustercluck like Zero Hour, most critics are willing to give non-traditional network shows more leeway of "having potential" versus actual quality. I thought the Last Resort pilot was incredibly mediocre, yet its praise didn't really surprise me (I liked The Following much more than Last Resort, for what it's worth).

I thought Elementary was a MUCH stronger pilot than Last Resort, but the critical consensus in those early days gravitated solely towards Last Resort.

- Newsday Review: 'The Following' with Kevin Bacon
BOTTOM LINE That said, could this well-acted, reasonably well-structured series become the hit Fox expects? Quite possibly, yes -- there is a reason, after all, CBS' "Criminal Minds" is such a hit. GRADE C+
- WSJ Review: A Stab in the Dark
There is some suspense here, even if it is mainly because the violence when it comes is so swift and sickening. But the show still feels slack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom