• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Following - Kevin Bacon & James Purefoy - "Classic Poe" - Mondays on Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Cleveland Plain Dealer: 'The Following': Fox pushes the boundaries with a bloody new series
It's not as if "The Following" doesn't have its annoying and even unsettling drawbacks. But it also has two dynamic stars, Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy, drawing us in and keeping us fully engaged in the ongoing life-and-death chess match.
- Oregonian: TV midseason schedule brings new controversy
The violence is gruesome, the atmosphere suffocatingly ominous, and the tone sometimes veers from intense to sadistic. Bacon and Purefoy are excellent, and watching the pilot is an undeniably powerful experience. But in light of recent public attention to the subject of violence in media, "The Following" makes me queasy, because of how far it's willing to go for the sake of sensationalism and shock.
- LA Times: Beware — serial killers loose on broadcast TV (General article about violence on television that discusses The Following among other shows)

- Columbus Dispatch: The Following: Tale too grisly for networks
The pilot isn’t bad, and the performances are pretty good — especially from Bacon, who is making his debut as the lead in a prime-time series. The problem with The Following, though, isn’t that, by the second episode, you catch on to the template of Williamson’s gotchas but that the violence is so gratuitous that it ruins what could have been a very good psychological thriller.
- Sioux City Journal: Disturbing 'Following' gives Kevin Bacon plenty to play
“The Following” is one of those ideas that might have been better in a two-hour film. Williamson’s real feat will be retaining interest week in and week out.
- Philly.com: Watch shocking, striking 'The Following' at your own risk
Monday's debut is one of the most masterly and moving pilots ever made for broadcast television. As it develops episodically, The Following becomes more conventional, and its pace slows. Typically, Hardy is focused on a single rescue per hour. Don't let your guard down, however. Shocking, sudden moments of violence are still this show's bloody calling card.
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: ‘The Following’ not worth following
The main course is the same old reheated serial killer/crime solver hash.
- Miami Herald: Fox’s ‘The Following’ is a shattering experience
More often, though, The Following produces not smiles but gasps. Though dazzlingly plotted and acted, the show is not easily watched. Its violence is sudden, shocking and sanguinary — and, in a world where every newscast seems to bring a report of another delusionary sorting out his mental issues with the exhibitionist slaughter of strangers, sickeningly familiar. Even The Following’s putative hero seems exhausted.
- Twin Cities.com: 'The Following' is scary, tough stuff, but worth the cringes
Frankly, it would all be a bit much if the two leads weren't so darkly appealing: Bacon as the flawed, damaged hero, and James Purefoy as the handsome, brilliant mastermind behind the multiplying murders. The plotting is intricate, the entire acting ensemble is first-rate.

ohNOitsRO

Yes been looking forward to this for a couple of weeks.. I hope it's not terrible..

Most of the "negative" reviews I've seen just seem to be from people that can't handle a little gore.. It's cable television, how crazy could it possibly be? :O

Everyone is singling out the violence. How violent could it possible be? It's a network show. And besides, we see horribly mutilated bodies on TV all the time. Hell, Bones is pretty much a romantic comedy and there's a shit ton of bodies on that show.

delta25

Banned
tremors-still.jpg

Series premiere tonight:
Pilot

Former FBI agent Ryan Hardy is drawn out of retirement when serial killer Joe Carroll escapes from prison; the investigation reveals that Carroll has a cult following.

- Maureen Ryan: A Cynical Look Into The Heart Of Darkness
Ultimately, my dislike for "The Following" has less to do with its gore factor than with its essential laziness, silliness and pretentiousness. Certain aspects of the plot don't make much sense (it's not a good sign when you keep thinking of leads that the investigators ignore for long periods), but that's really the tip of the iceberg. "The Following" wants to tell, not show, when it comes to the creation of Joe's cult.
- LA Times: Kevin Bacon helps make 'The Following' worth following
It can be disturbingly violent but is well made.
- NY Daily News: TV review: ‘The Following’
Kevin Bacon's performance as FBI agent lifts Fox's tough new series to a high level. 4 out of 5 stars
- Slate.com: Fiendster
There is a famous Thomas De Quincey essay on the theme of murder-as-art, and I have steeled myself for The Following to ham-handedly allude to it. When the show talks about crime literature, it's quite dull, but when it shows instead of tells, it’s something to see.

Nlroh

I wasn't so sure about watching it at first, but this "it's too violent" thing, makes me want to watch it, just to see what they're talking about. I also need my crime fiction fix.

More reviews:
- KC Star: Tormented Kevin Bacon is awash in gore in 'The Following'
"The Following," compelling and frustrating from its opening credits, sets viewers up for a season-long, blood-soaked rematch between an evil intellectual and his law-enforcement nemesis.
- Boston Herald: ‘The Following’ a Poe excuse for entertainment
After four episodes, this viewer was weary of seeing women terrorized. There’s a debate raging now that mass media entertainment is too violent. This show tosses a bucket of kerosene onto the fire, but will ultimately be remembered for squelching its talent. “The Following” will dwindle away. Grade: C+
- NY Post: Hot & Cold Serial
There are twists and turns a-plenty, and Bacon and Purefoy are so good they make up for the silliness — if not the gratuitous gore. 2 out of 4 stars
- Washington Post: Numb to violence, and deadly dull
Despite its dour atmospherics and some attempts at higher-caliber acting from Kevin Bacon and a large ensemble cast, “The Following” is a trite, gratuitously violent exercise in still more stylishly imagined American horror stories. It is filled with melodramatic sleuthing that you’ve seen over and over. Enough is enough, isn’t it?

Other:
- NY Mag: Breaking With Tradition, Fox’s Following Promos Acknowledge the Existence of DVRs

- Andy Greenwald's review for Grantland: The Following Is Violent and Empty. But, Hey: Kevin Bacon!
A generation of cable excellence has conditioned us to confront extremes of terror and violence and even, on occasion, feel for the bad guy. But by reducing murder to a meme, The Following makes even the banality of evil feel banal.
- Onion A|V Club: The new, dark drama #TheFollowing pursues empty shocks instead of nuanced characters or storytelling
The Following essentially wants to be nothing but cool moments, and that means there are constant diminishing returns, a trudge through a slog of darkness that becomes unrelenting. With other writers, this could have been a show about what it is that causes disturbed people to seek solace in other disturbed people, or what it is that drives dark hearts to violence. Hell, it could have been a meta-commentary on what it means to try to create “art” out of stories where horror and death are the primary objectives. Instead, Williamson and his team keep hitting the “cool” button until all they have is something like a video game, with each successive level asking players to defeat a new serial killer.
- NY Mag interview: Kevin Bacon on His Crazy Blue Eyes and His Gory New Show, The Following *some spoilers*

EDIT:
- NY Times: Plods the Maven, Weak and Weary
It’s hard to turn off and even harder to watch. And it could be that precisely because it is so bleak and relentlessly scary, “The Following” offers a more salutary depiction of violence than do series that use humor to mitigate horror — and thereby trivialize it.

- Matt Zoller Seitz for NY Mag: Apocalypse Story As Long-Form Nightmare
Is the serial-killer genre played out? You might think so from watching tonight’s debut of The Following. Within fifteen minutes, I scribbled “Thomas Harris has a lot to answer for” on my notepad.

There are exceptions to rules, though, and I was pleasantly surprised when The Following, created by Kevin Williamson (of Scream, Dawson’s Creek, and The Vampire Diaries fame) turned out to be one of them. If you can stick with the show through the end of its second episode, you’ll see what I’m getting at.
- Zap2It: Mindless violence, soapy shenanigans run amok after killer debut
Anyone looking for soapy twists and turns, shocking violence and a fast-paced ride will get what they want from creator Kevin Williamson and crew, just don't expect the show to dig deep into its characters or give you much to think about in the process. That makes the most controversial element of the show -- its graphic violence -- even more troubling.

Some of these reviews surprise me.

But none turn me off of wanting to watch it. I'm wondering if I wanna watch it live or if I wanna watch it sans commercials tomorrow.

ivysaur12

Banned
The Following's metacritic score is now lower than Revolution's:

Nashville -- 84
Last Resort -- 80
Ripper Street -- 71
Legit -- 69
Go On -- 66
Hunted -- 66
Revolution -- 64
The Following -- 62
666 Park Ave -- 62

I have a feeling it's one of those shows that will get better over time. Glad to hear you like the episodes beyond the pilot.

Yeah, it has issues like most shows and especially early episode stumbles, but overall it's pretty great. It'll be interesting to see if the basic premise can be maintained.

Somnia

Hell of a start, while not perfect I am really liking where this might be going. I'm in!

14 episodes, is it just planned as a mini-series? Or is that all they have confirmed right now.

Hell of a start, while not perfect I am really liking where this might be going. I'm in!

Yep I'm 100% in too. That was a pretty good pilot. I was wondering where they could really go with the show but with the insane cult following you can do a whole lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom