• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hero GAF deserves: GAFman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
tri_willy said:
there should be a future angle where gafman is forced to... unmask!!!

upon removal of mask, there's another identical mask below
Fixed.

MYE said:
Am i the only one who prefers the idea behind Golden-AGE GAFman? :(

I think the campy humor and smug-looking white-knight hero goes better with GAF than a more serious looking one.
A serious appearance doesn't imply a serious tone. Taking things too seriously (actually, any seriously) would be a disaster.

Mista Koo

MYE said:
Am i the only one who prefers the idea behind Golden-AGE GAFman? :(

I think the campy humor and smug-looking white-knight hero goes better with GAF than a more serious looking one.
While I don't prefer him I'm glad someone mentioned him, I designed golden age Junior a while back but never posted him:

u7mMs.png

Even though I know most people didn't like the idea of Junior :<
(My thanks and apologies to First Name for destroying his art).

RyanardoDaVinci said:
I'm still firmly in the full-mask with no mouth camp, that Batman Beyond picture just creeps me out! :p But if most of you guys want a mouth, that's what we'll do.

Maybe a full mask that hints of a mouth. Like a real tight fitting mask- no mouth "hole" but it shows enough that you can tell it's there. (The Batman Beyond picture is a little weird. How would that work?)

Satch

Banned
I think people should look toward the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle mask for inspiration. The mask is full, but he's got two eyes and a visible, functioning mouth.

beat

First Name said:
Maybe a full mask that hints of a mouth. Like a real tight fitting mask- no mouth "hole" but it shows enough that you can tell it's there. (The Batman Beyond picture is a little weird. How would that work?)
Batman Beyond is in the near future, so nanotechnology! I think that's usually the answer to everything except FTL and time travel in today's sci-fi.

Could just be face paint, though. Imagine something like Homer's makeup shotgun for rapid application.

Satchwar said:
I think people should look toward the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle mask for inspiration. The mask is full, but he's got two eyes and a visible, functioning mouth.
I got some inspiration from the Blue Beetle for this one. I thought adding fins made the costume more interesting.
2ymys0h.jpg

I also doodled another one that I don't really like, but I'll throw it out there anyway.
fnh2fm.png

It's harder to draw for me, and it makes him look too much like a villain.

nib95

Banned
nib95 said:
I haven't drawn anything comic related in years, but this thread inspired me to give it a shot. Here's my random depiction of GAFman based on the OP's image. Changed a few bits and bobs, let me know your thoughts.

nib95_GAFman_LOW-RES.jpg

If anyone wants to go through the arduous task of colouring it (I simply don't have the time at the moment), feel free. Here's the hi-res original scan. It's scanned from an A4 page, so not the highest quality drawing lines, though the resolution is huge.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/nchoudhury/Killzone 3 Direct captures/GAFmanORIGINALnib95.jpg

Bumping mine. Guess it's a no on the console/controller hammer idea?

nib95 said:
Bumping mine. Guess it's a no on the console/controller hammer idea?
It looks awesome, but it's just going to be a pain to draw since it's so detailed. By the way, your Gafman design is my favorite. I love the seams in the suit and the anatomy.

nib95

Banned
KeeSomething said:
It looks awesome, but it's just going to be a pain to draw since it's so detailed. By the way, your Gafman design is my favorite. I love the seams in the suit and the anatomy.

Appreciate the comments. And yea I do agree about the hammer. It could be drawn blurred in use, but stationary it would indeed be a pain.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
kage said:
Kinda sad, but also interesting in a way...

I think many people lost interest when their opinions clashed and basically nothing came out of it.

When people voluntarily commit to something, they'd like to have SOME say in the matter... otherwise they're just working for someone else, for free. Why would they participate at all? I'm sure some people are still interested but I bet it's fraction of what it was when this thread started rolling.

I'm still painting Master Race though :<
I doubt that's the reason, as a true canonicization hadn't even started yet. Truth is, our attention span is short and things get old fast.
If anything, I'd say the fact nothing really concrete came up on time is probably what killed everyone's interest so quickly.

I think that everything is being over-thought out. It's good to mold the world and all the characters, but sometimes you just gotta get the ball rolling. I think jumping right into things is the best way to go, and we can build off of at.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
KeeSomething said:
I think that everything is being over-thought out. It's good to mold the world and all the characters, but sometimes you just gotta get the ball rolling. I think jumping right into things is the best way to go, and we can build off of at.
There's nothing wrong in thinking things out. Things get problematic when the discussions and the brainstorming go on and on, without anything concrete coming out of them.

I'd say what GAFman needs right now is a bunch of short strips, even done differently and in different styles/tone by different people. Who cares if they're not consistent as long as they're entertaining.

I thought the writers were putting the story together. I am still in, just waiting for instructions.

Edit:
Jocchan said:
I'd say what GAFman needs right now is a bunch of short strips, even done differently and in different styles/tone by different people. Who cares if they're not consistent as long as they're entertaining.

this is a good plan.

Mononofu

I think an incubation period is good even if a few GAFfers are still working on material. It will give everyone time to figure out the right direction to take this project.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Vulcano's assistant said:
I thought the writers were putting the story together. I am still in, just waiting for instructions.
I don't think there's writers actively putting the story together, tbh, unless they're working somewhere else or via PM.

this is a good plan.
I'd say it's better than doing nothing at all, at this point. Also, simple strips done indipendently have a much greater chance of getting finished.

KeeSomething said:
I got some inspiration from the Blue Beetle for this one. I thought adding fins made the costume more interesting.
Interesting designs.jpeg

These look awesome, but they are better suited towards allies and villains than GAFman himself.

Also, yes on getting the ball rolling.

Medalion

Banned
KeeSomething said:
2ymys0h.jpg

I also doodled another one that I don't really like, but I'll throw it out there anyway.
fnh2fm.png

Perhaps it would help to not draw him with the stereotypical villain eyebrows and eyes

adelante

Here is a quick short strip:
http://velazquezasistant.wikispaces.com/file/view/gafman_final_small.png/245580111/gafman_final_small.png[//IMG][/QUOTE]
Holy shit this is so hilarious. LOL Dialogue's perfect!

Satch

Banned
Zeliard said:
lol @ bish in the background of the fourth panel. Awesome stuff Jocchan.
i didn't even see it until you just mentioned it

definitely one of those "when you see it, you'll shit bricks" situations :lol

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Thanks everyone :D

I also added a high res version, in case we ever want to collect the GAFman comics and print them in the future.

AlexMogil

Could Steam (and to a lesser point, its idiot cousin Origin) be some mythical source of power for the good guys and bad guys? Steam would reinstate DRM and negate the patch, yet also bring life to GAF man or some other character. Or maybe make Steam a Watcher-like character.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
AlexMogil said:
Could Steam (and to a lesser point, its idiot cousin Origin) be some mythical source of power for the good guys and bad guys? Steam would reinstate DRM and negate the patch, yet also bring life to GAF man or some other character. Or maybe make Steam a Watcher-like character.
I would imagine it more like steam-powered machinery used by Master Race, tbh, with the dirty peasants longing for that technology.

EDIT: vvvv
Kyaw said:
How about the Valve of power or life. Something along the lines of that.
The Valve to pump Steam out of the Source of life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom