• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hero GAF deserves: GAFman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonMigs85

Is Master Race on good terms with Apple? I know Macs have Steam, but their overall horsepower is still below similarly priced PCs. Also most have limited upgradeability save for the Mac Pro.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
DonMigs85 said:
Is Master Race on good terms with Apple? I know Macs have Steam, but their overall horsepower is still below similarly priced PCs. Also most have limited upgradeability save for the Mac Pro.

Apple should be Mater Race's on-call mad scientist.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
DonMigs85 said:

Well, think about how Apple is treated by PC gamers at present. Most everybody who seriously plays games on their computers does so on a Windows PC, because playing games on Mac OS or Linux severely limits the amount of content you can access. PC Gamers don't necessarily throw stones at those who play games on Apple or Linux, since there's no perception that their existence "dumbs down" or changes their games at all. But they do see those platforms as inadequate.

So, if all we were addressing was Mac computers, Master Race would probably just show indifference. However, Master Race is likely going to be as hostile to Apple as any other "hardcore" gaming faction would be, given their influence on the mobile space. There's that perception that what Apple is doing on iOS is "ruining" the gaming industry. And really, when most people think of Apple nowadays, it's the iPhone and the iPad that they're thinking about.

ZealousD

Vulcano's assistant said:
I am wondering two things:
- How many panels/pages for issue do you think we could aim to do without being more than we can handle?

I think that will depend entirely on how many volunteers we can get and how fast they can work.

- Do you think gafers would actually read these if they are beefy in dialogue and panels,or should it be safer to make them as short as possible?

I think GAF would read pretty much whatever we put out as long as we put some care and effort into it.

Kapura

Banned
regarding "issue" length, i would say initially that you wouldn't want to go over, say, 6 full pages (not including the cover). If you know people are interested in more, you can scale up. It's far better to leave them wanting more than to write some 300 page epic that people aren't going to read.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Kapura said:
regarding "issue" length, i would say initially that you wouldn't want to go over, say, 6 full pages (not including the cover). If you know people are interested in more, you can scale up. It's far better to leave them wanting more than to write some 300 page epic that people aren't going to read.
A 300 page epic would never get completed. A short issue, with possibly one or more short follow-ups if possible would be a much smarter idea.

DonMigs85 said:

Apple is the Starscream to Master Race's Megatron.

ZealousD

Jocchan said:
A 300 page epic would never get completed. A short issue, with possibly one or more short follow-ups if possible would be a much smarter idea.

Well obviously we aren't looking at a 300 page monster issue. But... six? What can you really do with six pages if the aim is to replicate the modern comic book style?

If you're going to go with something as short as six pages, we might as well transition to some sort of webcomic model, doing something like a page every other day.

I was thinking more in the neighborhood of 20 pages per issue.

Jamie OD

Well, there is no hope in Hell I can draw anything close to acceptable but I wanted to try something after being inspired by all the work in this thread. So I made two simple sprites of GAFman based on my avatar, depending on which colour placement you want on the mask. I hope you like them.

gafman1.png
gafman2.png

ZealousD said:
Well obviously we aren't looking at a 300 page monster issue. But... six? What can you really do with six pages if the aim is to replicate the modern comic book style?

If you're going to go with something as short as six pages, we might as well transition to some sort of webcomic model, doing something like a page every other day.

I was thinking more in the neighborhood of 20 pages per issue.

I don't think we are limited to tell whole stories in one issue, we could break it in three issues of six pages. So that releases are closer and people does not have to spend time reading the whole 20 pages at once.

ZealousD

I don't think we are limited to tell whole stories in one issue, we could break it in three issues of six pages. So that releases are closer and people does not have to spend time reading the whole 20 pages at once.

Well ultimately it's all going to come down to how many volunteers we can get and how fast they are able to work. If we only have one artist than that's going to scale down the size of the project.

I'll do what I can; concepts, storyboards, coloring, etc. I don't promise much because I suffer from severe "draw-ers block" quite often, but I'm in.

Which one do you guys like best?:

gafmanC.jpg

I was making a GAFman Sackboy in LBP2, put on a blue cape and liked how it looked, so I did those 2 alterations.

Also, after watching Captain America, I kinda want to give GAFman a shield, too. :p

ZealousD

Hrm, adding the blue adds some extra visual interest. I kinda like it. And it kinda fits with GAF's blue/orange meme.

How would it look on the inside of the cape but not on the outside?

Also, don't give him a shield. He's already got hammer as a weapon, and I'm more interested in him using video game oriented powers anyway.

nomis

RyanardoDaVinci said:
I'll do what I can; concepts, storyboards, coloring, etc. I don't promise much because I suffer from severe "draw-ers block" quite often, but I'm in.

Have you tried the cape with grey on the outside, blue on the inside? I'm just thinking of it being functional, i.e. shroud himself in grey to hide all his bright colors at night, but still have a splash of blue on the cape like you're trying to do.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
RyanardoDaVinci said:

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j464/RyanardoDaVinci/gafmanC.jpg[IMG]
[/QUOTE]
3rd.

omnomis said:
Have you tried the cape with grey on the outside, blue on the inside? I'm just thinking of it being functional, i.e. shroud himself in grey to hide all his bright colors at night, but still have a splash of blue on the cape like you're trying to do.
gafmanD.jpg

Looks pretty good.

Solune

So I was trying to design something witty for the t-shirt contest and this was the result. Props to Halycon for cleaning up the image and providing assistance.

AXd4C.png

Wark

RyanardoDaVinci said:
gafmanD.jpg

Looks pretty good.

I really like this design, but I actually really liked the "N" shape of the boots in KeeSomething's design. Maybe I would just have to see it implemented in your design to see which one I like better.

Rapstah

Solune said:
So I was trying to design something witty for the t-shirt contest and this was the result. Props to Halycon for cleaning up the image and providing assistance.

http://i.imgur.com/AXd4C.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Just keep in mind that that Megaman sprite probably is copyrighted.

I do like the design, but I feel it is just way too close to Deadpool and not threatening enough. There are some great ideas, but overall, I don't feel the design for Gafman is unique enough.

Here is a concept I propose:
14348ax.jpg

- I feel Gafman's nose and mouth should show through his mask to show more facial expressions. I also think it makes it unclear whether Gafman is wearing a mask, facepaint, or if that's just the way his skin looks. As someone mentioned, Gafman represents all Gaffers, so he has no distinct race.

-I also gave the face more pronounced cheekbones just to give it a more interesting and distinct shape.

-I lost the cape and blue stripes. I think Gafman is cooler without them. I think gauntlets are also "cooler" than gloves.

-Lastly, his upperbody is bulkier. It will make him look more badass when he's wielding his Banhammer.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Oh, and here's a poster I'm fooling around on with Gafman, Master Race, and Sharp Knees.
9ve2bq.jpg

ZealousD said:
Okay, I am completely willing to take the responsibility of taking many of the ideas from this thread and condensing and incorporating them into a consistent universe. Making some of this stuff canon. But before I do anything like that, I have to know.

Are there any artists on GAF willing to spend the time and effort to actually draw a full GAFman comic book?

If GAF doesn't have the drive to undertake a project of this size, than there really isn't much reason to establish any sort of canon. We need to decide if this spontaneous creativity has any sort of goal or if it's just chaos.

In an ideal situation, I'd certainly like to see about 6-7 of us working on a GAFman comic book as a continuous project. Releasing several different, full color comics that could be read like an actual digital comic book. That would be awesome.
That's the plan, and I'm in. I've been writing down ideas for stories, and I hope to get something out before the end of the summer.

Maddness

ZealousD said:
Okay, I am completely willing to take the responsibility of taking many of the ideas from this thread and condensing and incorporating them into a consistent universe. Making some of this stuff canon. But before I do anything like that, I have to know.

Are there any artists on GAF willing to spend the time and effort to actually draw a full GAFman comic book?

If GAF doesn't have the drive to undertake a project of this size, than there really isn't much reason to establish any sort of canon. We need to decide if this spontaneous creativity has any sort of goal or if it's just chaos.

In an ideal situation, I'd certainly like to see about 6-7 of us working on a GAFman comic book as a continuous project. Releasing several different, full color comics that could be read like an actual digital comic book. That would be awesome.

And My AXE....er Pen/Pencil.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
RyanardoDaVinci said:

gafmanC.jpg

R8Ts1.jpg

Could you do a grey outside, blue inside cape. Think it would look good.

KeeSomething said:
- I feel Gafman's nose and mouth should show through his mask to show more facial expressions. I also think it makes it unclear whether Gafman is wearing a mask, facepaint, or if that's just the way his skin looks. As someone mentioned, Gafman represents all Gaffers, so he has no distinct race.

So I take it you've never heard the theories of why Spiderman is so popular across racial boundaries?

The full face mask is why.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
The Take Out Bandit said:
So I take it you've never heard the theories of why Spiderman is so popular across racial boundaries?

The full face mask is why.

Nobody knows Peter Parker?

Also I worked on a comic book for years as a writer, until my artist got burnt out, married and became a father almost all at once.. So I would be down to put some work in..

KeeSomething said:
The idea of the mask came because someone suggested that Gafman should not resemble any particular ethnicity. It was argued that he has to represent the whole gafer comunity. (iirc the original Sketch made by RyanardoDaVinci was a white dude without mask).
Your design is much more expressive, but also shows more, I like it. However, the very simple face of the current design is so easy to draw that it is really tentative too.

Blackace said:
Nobody knows Peter Parker?

I'm not the one who came up with it, just passing the information along. When Peter puts on the mask, you can imagine anybody under it. It's that whole "identifying with the character" thing that doesn't relate to me, since I'm a hideous monster and none of these strapping handsome dudes look like me; but is important to a lot of other people who need to see themselves represented in media.

That's part of the reason that stupid bitch Tobey Maguire kept taking the damned thing off in the movies. "HEY GUYS LOOK AT ME! YOU CANNOT POSSIBLY RELATE TO SPIDERMAN WHEN HE'S WEARING A MASK!" >:O

So a face / facial features removes the layer of abstraction that would make GAFman identifiable by all members.

Marvel did the test marketing for you guys, follow the lead.

The Take Out Bandit said:
So a face / facial features removes the layer of abstraction that would make GAFman identifiable by all members.
But the design still disguises his skin color and his real eyes, so there is no way some one can know what race he is, and it doesn't matter. The benefits of his having a nose and mouth are huge, though.

ZealousD

Alright, so it seems like we have a few volunteers now, enough that I think we can make this work.

Let's set up a bit of an action plan then.

#1 - GAFman's final design

Seems like there's a lot of discussion about that right now, so we should make that our top priority. Besides, we really can't get anywhere on making an actual comic if we're still fighting about something as basic as what our hero looks like.

Our tone is a combination of serious comic book, with a healthy yet not overwhelming touch of camp and parody. Essentially, we're looking at something similar to the early TMNT comics or the more modern TMNT cartoon. We need to design our GAFman with this tone in mind. But there is still some leeway with this tone. Should we go with realistic proportions and make him look more similar to other superheroes like Superman or Batman, or should we go with with more exaggerated, cartoony proportions and make him look cool?

Essentially, which do you guys favor more? Ryanardo's approach, or KeeSomething's approach?

I'm not specifically talking about the issue of the mouth, btw. More like the art style. Addressing that discussion, I have never been opposed to the idea of giving GAFman a mouth, myself. In fact, I think it's a good idea because the current design really is a little too similar to something like Deadpool or Deathstroke.

Is the idea of GAFman having a mouth an idea you guys can get behind?

---------------------------------------

#2 - Responsibilities

We've got a few volunteers now, but need a better idea of who's going to do which jobs. Once we have a better look at what our "staff" is going to look like, we can come up with a comic format that works us, whether it's some sort of continuing webcomic format or 20-page issues.

So specific jobs we need.

Sketching -
Inking/Coloring -
Writers/Editors -

Please post what specific job you would like to contribute to!

-------------------------------------

#3 - Canon

I'll try and get some work done on organizing and putting together a lot of the ideas we have in the thread to come up with a final, consistent universe, and I'll try and get it done by the end of the day tomorrow. I'm going to try and keep the tone of the comic we have in mind as well as look at all the opinions of people who have already posted. For example, Master Race is clearly going to be the "primary" villain in this series given his popularity and all the discussion about him. But I'm going to take some liberties and throw in a lot more of my personal input into the more minor villains.

Any major elements I will definitely be seeking input from you guys. I don't own GAFman and I don't want GAF to feel like that I'm taking charge and trying to impose my own rule and opinion on everything. So feel free to constructively criticize my work when I'm done.

About planing the first issue
I think we should not touch the origin story yet. We should start with something very easy to digest and as self explanatory as possible.
Once people know what the comic is about we should star presenting the lore.

About the design
Do we know how is the comedy going to be handled?
If the writers plan to make Gafman a very witty (sort of goofy) character similar to spider-man (I like this one). I think we should use Reynardo's. .
Something more aggressive, like Kee's desings, reminds me more of Wolverine or batman. I see him saying witty remarks less frequently.

Edit: I don't know about the job. I would like sketching, yet I know there are much better artist here, so I could take coloring.

ZealousD

About the design
If the writers plan to make Gafman a very witty (sort of goofy) character similar to spider-man (I like this one). I think we should use Reynardo's. .
Something more aggressive, like Kee's desings, reminds me more of Wolverine or batman. I see him saying witty remarks less frequently.

I'm more interested in seeing him play it straight, myself. The world he inhabits is already going to be pretty goofy. We've got naming puns like Dr. M and Francesca Friendzone. He wields a banhammer. We're going to have the SDF battle it out with Xbots.

Having him interact with these ridiculous concepts in a way where this craziness seems normal creates a fun dichotomy I think. If his world is goofy and he acts goofy, I think we run the risk of going too far and turning this into Freakazoid. I mean, I like Freakazoid, but I'm not sure that's the tone we're going for.

I think this is the best representation of GAFman so far:

Jocchan said:

The shading can perfectly show his expressions already, a mouth seems unnecessary -- and I really don't like the look of it on any comic characters I've seen, it bothers me, lol.

I'd also like to keep his proportions more normal-human than over-exaggerated, but that's just my style.

As for the overall artstyle, I think something like the above or the DC animated shows would be best; not too detailed as to make everything look busy. We could also do certain panels ultra-detailed, like how they did in Ren & Stimpy, to really emphasize certain moments/emotions/expressions etc.

^I very much agree with using a more simplified style like the DC animated series (like Batman Beyond or Justice League). The ultra-detailed close up shots ala Ren & Stimpy is a great idea.

ZealousD said:
#2 - Responsibilities

We've got a few volunteers now, but need a better idea of who's going to do which jobs. Once we have a better look at what our "staff" is going to look like, we can come up with a comic format that works us, whether it's some sort of continuing webcomic format or 20-page issues.

So specific jobs we need.

Sketching -
Inking/Coloring -
Writers/Editors -

Please post what specific job you would like to contribute to!
I can help with the sketching. My coloring/inking skills are pretty terrible at the moment. I also think I can contribute as a writer because I have some ideas on where to take the characters and the stories.

#3 - Canon

I'll try and get some work done on organizing and putting together a lot of the ideas we have in the thread to come up with a final, consistent universe, and I'll try and get it done by the end of the day tomorrow. I'm going to try and keep the tone of the comic we have in mind as well as look at all the opinions of people who have already posted. For example, Master Race is clearly going to be the "primary" villain in this series given his popularity and all the discussion about him. But I'm going to take some liberties and throw in a lot more of my personal input into the more minor villains.

Any major elements I will definitely be seeking input from you guys. I don't own GAFman and I don't want GAF to feel like that I'm taking charge and trying to impose my own rule and opinion on everything. So feel free to constructively criticize my work when I'm done.
Sounds fair. I still like the idea that both Gafman and Master Race were assigned by Bish to protect Neo Gaf, but Master Race left to start his own Elitest cult that consists of PC gamers while Gafman found the Banhammer in the ruins of Old Gaf (GameFAQs?) and became the city's guardian. Is that canon now or have things changed?

About planing the first issue
I think we should not touch the origin story yet. We should start with something very easy to digest and as self explanatory as possible.
Once people know what the comic is about we should star presenting the lore.
I have an idea for an opening comic that introduces the main characters and concepts of comic. Should I post the idea here to PM it to you? Or what? The script isn't complete, but the concept is something to work off of.

About the design

Edit: I don't know about the job. I would like sketching, yet I know there are much better artist here, so I could take coloring.
I think Gafman should be serious and badass, but I feel he should be aware that he lives in a ridiculous world. So while he takes his role seriously, he is able to laugh some things off while Batman could not. I'd don't see Gafman making one-liners, but I do see him admitting when he has gone overboard or made a mistake in a less serious manner. I'd imagine Gafman making a mistake infront of some child of Neo Gaf, and then telling the child "Let's just keep this between us" and then throwing in a thumbs up.

Obviously, I'd want my own design to be picked, but I'm biased. I feel like the body-type would be more fun to work with. I think the face will also allow for more of Gafman's personality to show through as well. The design can also be simplified and easier to draw; it may just be me, but I feel the cape would make Gafman a bigger hassle to draw.

Regardless, I'd image that the art won't always be consistant. Depending on the story and the artist, Gafman's design may be altered. This happens in DC and Marvel comics all the time as different writers and artists take care of different story arcs.

tri_willy said:
Will be there adventures of GAFMAN (comic) with storylines pulled from them the funniest ban stories?
Totally! I also think another great source for inspiration would be the show ReBoot, which takes place in a computer.

I almost feel that Neo Gaf would have an urban, technological feel to it with a hint of the chaos of a Wild West setting. I think that could make for a very interesting world for Gafman to protect. The parts that he controls are mostly in order, but there are lawless areas all over Neo Gaf that are no-holds-barred. I'd imagine that trolls, pirates, hackers, and other villains lurk there while Master Race settles in a large tower surrounded by these chaotic, lawless, and forgotten parts of the forum/city.

Underneath Neo Gaf is Old Gaf, which are nothing but ruins. I imagine it to be much like the underground ruins beneath Rogue Port in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
RyanardoDaVinci said:
I think this is the best representation of GAFman so far:

The shading can perfectly show his expressions already, a mouth seems unnecessary -- and I really don't like the look of it on any comic characters I've seen, it bothers me, lol.

I'd also like to keep his proportions more normal-human than over-exaggerated, but that's just my style.

As for the overall artstyle, I think something like the above or the DC animated shows would be best; not too detailed as to make everything look busy. We could also do certain panels ultra-detailed, like how they did in Ren & Stimpy, to really emphasize certain moments/emotions/expressions etc.
Funny how you say that a scribble I did in like 10 minutes is one of the best representation of GAFman so far :D
Anyway, I agree. A full face mask can still show explicit facial expressions via shading. No need to open it up.

tri_willy said:
Will be there adventures of GAFMAN (comic) with storylines pulled from them the funniest ban stories?
I'd dig a story where GAFman is asked to look for some guy's fiancee who allegedly disappeared in the woods while he goes ly dow, only to fall into a trap.

EDIT: Also, about GAFman's cape, I quite like the one in the middle here:
Blue is a nice addition to the color scheme, and it contrasts very well with the orange (duh). Much better than having it entirely blue or opposed to grey, imho.

Mista Koo

I like the body figure/build of KeeSomething's GAFman as I think it's more comical and suits him better, but I like the feature-less face.
While I think he looks better without the cape I think the cape better distinguishes him from the likes of Deadpool (also reminds me of Captain America) it also is a legacy superhero item thanks to Superman and Batman.

Are there a lot of superheroes with hammers? Because with that cape and similar poses he reminds me of Thor a lot. Maybe an oversized mallet/sledgehammer would be better? (think DeDeDe).

Jocchan said:
EDIT: Also, about GAFman's cape, I quite like the one in the middle here:

Blue is a nice addition to the color scheme, and it contrasts very well with the orange (duh). Much better than having it entirely blue or opposed to grey, imho.
I think that the orange on the inside clashes with the orange on his costume. I'd say either gray, blue or a combination of both.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Solune said:

AXd4C.png

pity it is copyrighted because i actually like it a lot

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Mista Koo said:
I think that the orange on the inside clashes with the orange on his costume. I'd say either gray, blue or a combination of both.
Uhm, it's the same shade (except darker because of the shadows), how can it clash with itself?

Wilbur

Banned
Hey, I'd like to see if I can write some; I'm not as clued up on GAF-Lore as a lot of you, but I can catch up pretty quick I'd say.

Also, I vote for him having KeeSomething's mask, but Ryanardo's body. And don't make him wisecracky, but really stoic and serious at the same time while saying such absurdities it's funny. Like Adam West's Batman!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom