• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hill: How Senate democrats plan on "dealing with" Bernie Sanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

TI82

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4LZ-31RSas

Referencing this article:

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/280445-how-senate-democrats-are-trying-to-deal-with-sanders

Sanders is also something of a loner who shows little interest in hanging out with lobbyists.

The presidential candidate is not chummy with his colleagues.

Fellow senators have been known to roll their eyes at his idealistic — some say unrealistic — jeremiads in private meetings. Sanders is known for speaking out at the sessions.

A few years ago, he [Sanders] attended a Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee retreat on Martha’s Vineyard, to which lobbyists and other big-money donors were invited. But instead of chatting up the other guests at Edgartown’s Harbor View Hotel in hopes of fattening party coffers, Sanders largely skipped the proceedings to enjoy the island’s attractions, according to a lobbyist who attended.

Another user would like to add these quotes for balance:

Senate Democratic Leader] Reid, however, has always been a helpful ally. He gave Sanders the full benefits of membership in the Democratic caucus after his election to the Senate in 2006, rewarding him with the committee assignments he wanted even though he was not a registered Democrat.

Reid left Tuesday’s meeting early to speak to Sanders on the phone about the caucus’s concerns. But after the two senators spoke, the Sanders campaign released a defiant statement that was more about defending its supporters and criticizing the Democratic Party than vice versa.
Reid expected Sanders to condemn outbursts over the weekend at the Nevada convention, where the state party was meeting to allocate delegates to the presidential hopefuls.

Instead, Reid said he was “surprised” by the defiant response and dismissed it as a “silly” stunt put together by campaign staff and not representative of Sanders’s views.
But that explanation looked unlikely hours later when Sanders delivered a fiery stump speech in Southern California, hitting some of the same points and challenging the Democratic Party to change its ways and shed its dependence on big-money donors.
Suspicion is growing among Democrats that Sanders might be setting the increasingly pugilistic tone for his campaign himself.
“The ‘burn it down’ attitude, the upping the ante, everything we saw in that statement released [Tuesday] by the campaign seems to be coming form Sanders himself. Right from the top,” wrote Josh Marshall, a prominent left-leaning journalist, who cited “multiple highly knowledgeable, highly placed people.”

I'm a Bernie Sanders fan... but he's really losing my respect lately. This is the time for him to step aside and say. "Look we put up a good fight. We brought up issues that would have been largely ignored otherwise and forced Hillary and the other Democrats to take us seriously. We've moved the needle on what people want to see, and we'll keep working to get what we need. But what's more important now is coming together and making sure that we rally when it matters most. You know the alternative, you know what could potentially happen if we don't." Etc.

He can continue to be an important figure and get things done, but if he pushes this too far he's going to lose alot of goodwill.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
"Doesn't want to hang out with lobbyists"

Is seriously the lamest thing I've heard. I say this as someone that thinks Bernie should bow out already. "Hanging out" with lobbyists being in the norm might be the problem.

Foffy

Banned
He doesn't hang out with lobbyist...

I wonder why they have a problem to even begin with.

Because lobbyist nonsense is now the blood of politics in America.

Bernie is a white blood cell all by himself, and take that metaphor in nearly any way you'd imagine it.

dramatis

This is a peculiar OP. The content of quoted material doesn't seem to be what the title suggests.

I thought the article would be about what they would do to Sanders's committee assignments and things like that. But it seems to be about recent events and more chatter between Dems.

TI82

Banned
He doesn't hang out with lobbyist...

I wonder why they have a problem to even begin with.

because he can't be bought out like the other candidate running

This is a peculiar OP. The content of quoted material doesn't seem to be what the title suggests.

I thought the article would be about what they would do to Sanders's committee assignments and things like that. But it seems to be about recent events and more chatter between Dems.

i highlighted the interesting parts (to me) on why they were so against him. Really showcasing they had it out for him since the beginning and never intended for him to even get this far.

Chariot

I'm a Bernie Sanders fan... but he's really losing my respect lately. This is the time for him to step aside and say. "Look we put up a good fight. We brought up issues that would have been largely ignored otherwise and forced Hillary and the other Democrats to take us seriously. We've moved the needle on what people want to see, and we'll keep working to get what we need. But what's more important now is coming together and making sure that we rally when it matters most. You know the alternative, you know what could potentially happen if we don't." Etc.

He can continue to be an important figure and get things done, but if he pushes this too far he's going to lose alot of goodwill.
Does this post relate in any way to the OP or is that just a stock "Bernie stinks"-post?

If not bending the knee to lobbyists is what's makes you lose respect for Bernie, you were on the wrong candidate to begin with.

IvanJ

Banned
I thought highly of Bernie, and this OP just elevated him even more.
He refused to beg for money, and instead enjoyed his vacation!

I wish there were more people like him.

Nivash

You kinda picked the quotes from the article that put Sanders in the best light, though. It's not just about his distaste for lobbyists (which is a perfectly fine attitude), it's also about his semi-hostile attitude towards the party lately, despite all the help he's actually gotten from it in the past.

So, in the interest of balance:

[Senate Democratic Leader] Reid, however, has always been a helpful ally. He gave Sanders the full benefits of membership in the Democratic caucus after his election to the Senate in 2006, rewarding him with the committee assignments he wanted even though he was not a registered Democrat.

Reid left Tuesday’s meeting early to speak to Sanders on the phone about the caucus’s concerns. But after the two senators spoke, the Sanders campaign released a defiant statement that was more about defending its supporters and criticizing the Democratic Party than vice versa.

Reid expected Sanders to condemn outbursts over the weekend at the Nevada convention, where the state party was meeting to allocate delegates to the presidential hopefuls.

Instead, Reid said he was “surprised” by the defiant response and dismissed it as a “silly” stunt put together by campaign staff and not representative of Sanders’s views.

But that explanation looked unlikely hours later when Sanders delivered a fiery stump speech in Southern California, hitting some of the same points and challenging the Democratic Party to change its ways and shed its dependence on big-money donors.

Suspicion is growing among Democrats that Sanders might be setting the increasingly pugilistic tone for his campaign himself.

“The ‘burn it down’ attitude, the upping the ante, everything we saw in that statement released [Tuesday] by the campaign seems to be coming form Sanders himself. Right from the top,” wrote Josh Marshall, a prominent left-leaning journalist, who cited “multiple highly knowledgeable, highly placed people.”

PsychBat!

Banned

Did you read the OP?

TI82

Banned
You kinda picked the quotes from the article that put Sanders in the best light, though. It's not just about his distaste for lobbyists (which is a perfectly fine attitude), it's also about his semi-hostile attitude towards the party lately, despite all the help he's actually gotten from it in the past.

So, in the interest of balance:

added, to be fair

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Is there something inherently wrong with lobbying?

Lobbying isn't inherently bad. Teachers unions and other groups do it for needed causes. The problem is when large amounts of money or promised revolving door positions are given to a point that it starts poisoning the well. The politician isn't doing something for the people or the best interests of their country at that point (which they were elected for) but themselves and very powerful groups.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
so you picked an article about how senate Democrats are trying to make peace with Sanders, added scare quotes to the title and cherry picked a couple of quotes to make it looks like it's about lobbying or something? yeah, this is really not what the forum needs right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom