• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |OT2| Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone find Tiny Wings is prone to crashing? Was well on my way to besting my 77k high score and then the game crashed. Crashed most of the times I received texts also.

Argh.

Stalfos

jonnybryce said:
Anyone find Tiny Wings is prone to crashing? Was well on my way to besting my 77k high score and then the game crashed. Crashed most of the times I received texts also.

Argh.
Yeah it will crash when you receive notifications.

moai

took the advice and got battleheart. great game.
need advice about good games that have multiplayer and cross play between iphone and ipad. tips?

taoofjord said:
Is it meant to be a fun little distraction or is it more involved than that?
The game? It's definitely not just a distraction. It's a game, through and through, but it's also about the art, the music, the exploration.

Khanage

Cromulent_Word said:
The game? It's definitely not just a distraction. It's a game, through and through, but it's also about the art, the music, the exploration.

March 20th can’t come soon enough... Really great trailer!

The M.O.B said:
Time in Fever Mode: 33.6 seconds.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU I was only .4 secs away from completing the objective.
Half of the game's fun is in these challenges, I love them. I still need to do that objective too :(

hyp

Cromulent_Word said:
We've done our best. Glad you liked the trailer - we had a ton of fun making it :)

Hopefully that's a good thing :)

maybe it's just the vibe of the trailer. nonetheless it looks great, been anticipating it for a while now.

Foob

I've completed all the challenges except the fucking make it to island 4 without a perfect jump one. I can't help but do them perfect

whitehawk

Banned
Foob said:
I've completed all the challenges except the fucking make it to island 4 without a perfect jump one. I can't help but do them perfect
What I do is just not get any air. Just glide across the ground the whole way, maybe a few jumps here and there.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Some of you will be aware of the earthquake in Christhurch NZ which has unfortunately left 123 people dead so far.

We have clubbed together with a bunch of other NZ developers to donate all proceeds from selected games and apps for the next week to the NZ Red Cross to help with the recovery effort.

Check out the list of games and apps here http://appappeal.co.nz/ Your support is appreciated.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
PocketGamer.biz Top 50 developers list

50. Snappy Touch
49. Kairosoft
48. Hexage
47. Big Blue Bubble
46. IUGO
45. Cave
44. DistinctDev
43. Miniclip
42. TeamLava
41. Bight Games
40. Godzilab
39. NaturalMotion Games
38. HandyGames
37. Bolt Creative
36. Neon Play
35. Matt Rix
34. Gameprom
33. Spacetime Studios
32. Gamerizon
31. Lima Sky
30. GameHouse
29. Media.Vision
28. Crescent Moon
27. Get Set Games
26. Digital Chocolate
25. Ideaworks Game Studio
24. Pocket Gems
23. Polarbit
22. NimbleBit
21. id Software
20. Rockstar Leeds
19. Square Enix
18. Fishlabs
17. The PlayForge
16. Zeptolab
15. Newtoy/Zynga with Friends
14. Com2uS
13. Glu Mobile
12. Gamevil
11. Namco Bandai
10. EA Mobile
9. Backflip Studios
8. Capcom Mobile
7. Halfbrick
6. ngmoco
5. PopCap
4. Chair Entertainment
3. Firemint
2. Rovio
1. Gameloft

outunderthestars said:
is the video not working for anyone else? All i get is a still screen.
we were enabling it for mobile devices and it seems to glitched for a bit. Try it again now and let me know if its still borked for you.

johnsmith

remember me
Picked up Tiny Wings, Battleheart, Save Toshi DX. Enjoying the hell out of them all, and I spent $3.

Nintendo should be crapping their pants in terror.

Oli

johnsmith said:
Picked up Tiny Wings, Battleheart, Save Toshi DX. Enjoying the hell out of them all, and I spent $3.

I don't quite understand why people pin the pressure on Nintendo and the handheld market. The audience Nintendo goes after with the 3DS is the same crew that pays $60 for a retail console game. If Nintendo is in trouble then by association Sony and Microsoft are as well, since the days of paying for larger games are coming to a close, evidently.

johnsmith

remember me
I'm not going to bring my ps3 to work to play on my lunch break. It's not in competition with my iphone. Portable systems are competing against my iphone for my limited play time outside my house. I find it much easier to whip out my iphone, which I would be carrying with me regardless, than to carry around my DS. I don't wear cargo pants, so I like to travel light. I have about 20 games on my iphone that I've spent less money on than a single new release DS or PSP game. I've had a lot of fun with those games and it's going to take a lot for me to be willing to spend $250 + $40 per game for me to get a 3DS.

Oli

johnsmith said:
I'm not going to bring my ps3 to work to play on my lunch break. It's not in competition with my iphone. Portable systems are competing against my iphone for my limited play time outside my house. I find it much easier to whip out my iphone, which I would be carrying with me regardless, than to carry around my DS. I don't wear cargo pants, so I like to travel light. I have about 20 games on my iphone that I've spent less money on than a single new release DS or PSP game. I've had a lot of fun with those games and it's going to take a lot for me to be willing to spend $250 + $40 per game for me to get a 3DS.

This sounds like personal preference more than anything Nintendo should be concerned with.

I don't question the value of what Apple is doing with the app store. But at least for now I don't think Nintendo will have any trouble selling gallon loads of 3DS's.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
johnsmith said:
I don't take handhelds to play on my lunch break either.

So... Yeah.

Until the day Nintendo software shows up in the AppStore, I don't think they'll have anything to fear.

Oli said:
I don't quite understand why people pin the pressure on Nintendo and the handheld market. The audience Nintendo goes after with the 3DS is the same crew that pays $60 for a retail console game. If Nintendo is in trouble then by association Sony and Microsoft are as well, since the days of paying for larger games are coming to a close, evidently.
I think it can apply to gaming time as gaming time regardless of the category but the relevance really is in the portable space. I would say it's as simple as consumer behavior and expectations are changing, which is something you better believe Nintendo and Sony are monitoring in their market research. I don't think it'll do something like destroy 3DS sales but this is a world where you can play Unreal powered games on your phone for $5. I can't be the only customer Nintendo/Sony has lost to Apple.

cyclenut

Not everyone owns an iphone. Until recently, I used my old phone (treo) as a phone. Nothing more, nothing less. Having good games on my iphone is just an added bonus. It won't replace my ds or my psp.

I dont think Nintendo or any other handheld gaming companies should fear anything at the moment. If anything, I would hope that it would cause these companies to lower their game prices. -_-

Edit: Just picked up... Save Toshi and WTF?! lol.

cyclenut said:
Not everyone owns an iphone. Until recently, I used my old phone (treo) as a phone. Nothing more, nothing less. Having good games on my iphone is just an added bonus. It won't replace my ds or my psp.

I dont think Nintendo or any other handheld gaming companies should fear anything at the moment. If anything, I would hope that it would cause these companies to lower their game prices. -_-

I don't want to get into this argument again, but there is plenty to fear. You are a minority, as much of GAF - even large publishers agree that people are switching from dedicated handhelds towards gaming on their smartphones. The reason is many of them are not hardcore gamers, and are happy to have a single device for their music/gaming needs, or music/gaming/calling needs.
What publishers are concerned about is that smartphones will distort peoples notion of value. A lot of people are having fun with $0.99 apps, they are unlikely to go back to full-priced games.

Once again, this stuff is a general trend. Saying that you, or me are sticking with dedicated handhelds doesn't mean the trend isn't there.

dream

I barely play console games anymore...all my gaming is done on my iPhone these days. I did buy Bulletstorm last week but that was because I was pissed at my basketball team's GM and wanted to shoot some people.

cyclenut said:

Edit: Just picked up... Save Toshi and WTF?! lol.

Oh, there is a lot to fear.

In subway or bus now I see much less DS in old people, and more iPhones. People always carry a phone, and if the phone allows the small entertaintment needings, they won't carry a special device that is only used to get distracted.

Probably hardcore people will still buy NGP or 3DS (but they will buy less games because they have to share a limited amount of time between 2 devices), and probably child will still get the console because most parents prefer to give a gaming machine to a child instead of a expensive phone. But a lot of the casual market, that now has a DS, maybe won't simply have the need of buying a 3DS if they already are busy playing Angry Birds in their iPhones.

I'm really, truly bad at Tiny Wings. I know I'm supposed to increase gravity while the bird is descending, but then my hill jumps end up sloppy and I lose all my speed. I love the presentation, but I wish the game's tutorial was handled better because I think I'm playing wrong :-(

Leona Lewis said:
I'm really, truly bad at Tiny Wings. I know I'm supposed to increase gravity while the bird is descending, but then my hill jumps end up sloppy and I lose all my speed. I love the presentation, but I wish the game's tutorial was handled better because I think I'm playing wrong :-(

You don't have to blindly follow the rule "if it's going down, touch screen". Focus what is the hill where the bird will collide when it goes down, then touch the screen before that, in order to make the bird go down to the slope of the previous hill, stop pressing when the bird is in the valley.

With the practice you'll "know" what is the correct moment to make the bird fall in order to hit the lowering slope instead of the top of the previous hill.

dream said:
I barely play console games anymore...all my gaming is done on my iPhone these days. I did buy Bulletstorm last week but that was because I was pissed at my basketball team's GM and wanted to shoot some people.
I've been without a console for a few years now and been just fine. Only thing I really miss is PS2 Winning Eleven and Socom. The fact that those two series struggled with the jump to next gen kind of soured me on console gaming for a while.

I'm perfectly happy with an iPod touch for gaming, email, apps, music, etc. Stuff like Infinity Blade, Mad Skills MX, and Shibuya suits me just fine at this stage of life. Only reason I have a Touch and a cell phone (and not just an iPhone) is that I'm one of these old school suckers that hates paying for data plans.

bigace33

Quick question. Is Pheonix Wright worth a spin on the Ipad? I never finished the DS version and 4.99 seems to good to pass up.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i like consoles for sports games (iOS doesn't even come cloooooooose in any sport) and also the occasional party or group game but yeah that's about it.

bigace33 said:
Quick question. Is Pheonix Wright worth a spin on the Ipad? I never finished the DS version and 4.99 seems to good to pass up.

on the ipad, im not sure, but on my iphone its perfect! i just got into the series, and i have to say - why the FUCK didnt i play this earlier???

ari

Banned
johnsmith said:

That doesn't even make since. None of those games or anything the app store has to offer come close to what the NDS or the PSP have. :/

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
cyclenut said:
Thanks for the heads up. Will give it a try. :)

Edit: Oh, so its like checkers. Neat.
Checkers/Chess with a big twist and neon graphics that aren't boring plus engaging "campaign".
Seriously, the game is very good and I don't even play those boardgames, my last foray in a Chess game was Interplay's Battle Chess on the Amiga 500 :)

ari said:
That doesn't even make since. None of those games or anything the app store has to offer come close to what the NDS or the PSP have. :/
In the end I think plenty of genres are matched in quality and many are even surpassed. Some stand out titles can't even exist on DS such as Eliss, Pocket Legends or even Aralon.

iOS clearly matters, everyone just seems to have difficulty agreeing on what that significance means. That fear appears to have almost single handedly driven Sony's strategy, from commercials, minis, Xperia Play and the PS Suite to many of components of NGP. It confuses developers like EA and Capcom. It allows literal overnight successes like Tiny Wings.

It's fun to watch in any case. I win in the end no matter who wins so fuck it.

Moving on, I've hit a bit of a wall in Tiny Wings. I can't seem to progress passed 77k. Hills and dips become very narrow and once I make one slight mistake I find it's over. :(

Also I'm buying Battleheart now. Thanks for the sale news. If I don't like it I'm blaming you all!

Shearie

Anyone ever heard of Robot Dogs? It's a super simple but completely awesome fast action twitch game and it's free. I'm currently number one on the GC leaderboards and would like some competition, so if anyone wants to challenge me, send me a GC friend request to my GAF name.

megateto

Cromulent_Word said:
we were enabling it for mobile devices and it seems to glitched for a bit. Try it again now and let me know if its still borked for you.

I have to say that I'm deeply impressed with what I've seen. The little touch of the deer disappearing in the forest...

Shearie said:
Anyone ever heard of Robot Dogs? It's a super simple but completely awesome fast action twitch game and it's free. I'm currently number one on the GC leaderboards and would like some competition, so if anyone wants to challenge me, send me a GC friend request to my GAF name.
Just downloaded it and gave it a try, got 400-something on my first shot. Seems kind of... boring? I dunno, I'll give it another go tomorrow.

To echo previous comments: "Longest Fever: 33.2s" - FFFFFFUUUU.

If you're about to reach the seventh island for the first time and somebody sends you a text message, is it okay to never talk to that person again?

(She's lucky I did it on the next go. Lucky indeed.)

Shearie

WordAssassin said:
Just downloaded it and gave it a try, got 400-something on my first shot. Seems kind of... boring? I dunno, I'll give it another go tomorrow.

I think it's really fun but it is super simple since all you're doing is tapping the left or right side of the screen when a corresponding enemy appears. I guess I just like the tense twitch gameplay and the goofy artstyle but I'm clearly in the minority since there's only 300 people on the leaderboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom