• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |OT2| Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I downloaded it and think it's cute but became bored after a handful of rounds.

Infinity Blade question: Edit; was just a coincidence.

I beat the God King. Awesome ending! I'll definitely keep playing and anticipate the update. Once I decided to stop parrying every blow and dodge more the game became a lot easier. Those dodge buttons are too small though (I know you can press to the side of the character but that oddly works differently than the instant leaning from the buttons and isn't so accurate).

Sh0k

A couple of Universal games I've been playing on my iPad besides Tiny Wings.

Bad Air Day
Lite Version

403472341_1_jpg_460x460_q85.jpg

I know that the fart games in the AppStore are all over the place, but this one is at least good and there is a Lite version to try it out. Graphics remind me of the adult swim games.

Falling Fred
Full Version

414729389_1_jpg_460x460_q85.jpg

This one is another endless falling game but super gory. The idea of the game is to control Falling Fred and avoid hitting your head too hard. Obstacles to avoid are round saws, pipes, fire, etc. There is no lite version.

taoofjord

Cromulent_Word said:
The game? It's definitely not just a distraction. It's a game, through and through, but it's also about the art, the music, the exploration.

That's what I assumed, can't wait to play it when I pick up the iPad 2! A shame that we're not getting the retina display yet, this would look ridiculous with it. And still anxiously awaiting Might and Magic CoH HD. :)

I bought Phoenix Wright during the $0.99 sale, but have yet to get it to load. I start the app and it shows the "Now Loading" for about a second before crashing. I have tried deleting it and reinstalling the app multiple times as well as turning my iPhone on and off. This is the only app I have every had this trouble with.

Is the only option to restore my iPhone? I would rather not, but I suppose if it comes to that I'll give it a shot.

iPhone 3GS with latest firmware.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Shearie said:
Anyone ever heard of Robot Dogs? It's a super simple but completely awesome fast action twitch game and it's free. I'm currently number one on the GC leaderboards and would like some competition, so if anyone wants to challenge me, send me a GC friend request to my GAF name.
Im right behind you...if I wasn't sleep deprived, I probably would be #1

NekoFever

CavemanLawyer said:
I bought Phoenix Wright during the $0.99 sale, but have yet to get it to load. I start the app and it shows the "Now Loading" for about a second before crashing. I have tried deleting it and reinstalling the app multiple times as well as turning my iPhone on and off. This is the only app I have every had this trouble with.

Is the only option to restore my iPhone? I would rather not, but I suppose if it comes to that I'll give it a shot.

iPhone 3GS with latest firmware.
There was a bug fix update the other day. Have you downloaded and tried that?

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
ari said:
That doesn't even make since. None of those games or anything the app store has to offer come close to what the NDS or the PSP have. :/

The amount of gameplay for the equivalent money is his point. I mean , those the three games for $3? That's pretty cool. What can I get on a DS or PSP for $3? Not much. If I have $40 to spend on games, I personally am inclined to buy between 20-40 games for IOS . I could buy a game or two for one of the other systems, but I never do. iOS gaming has definitely affected the handheld market.

8sanders said:
The amount of gameplay for the equivalent money is his point. I mean , those the three games for $3? That's pretty cool. What can I get on a DS or PSP for $3? Not much. If I have $40 to spend on games, I personally am inclined to buy between 20-40 games for IOS . I could buy a game or two for one of the other systems, but I never do. iOS gaming has definitely affected the handheld market.
Opposite. If I had $40 to spend on games I would get something like Tactics Ogre every time. As good as iOS gaming can be, I rarely spend more than ten minutes playing most of the stuff I buy. There are exceptions like Tiny Wings, but I get much more value from something bigger and more comfortable to play.

So GAF, I've gone crazy and downloaded all of these games. From looking at my list, can you think of any hidden gems that I might have missed?

iPad
Angry Birds HD
Broken Sword
Dizzypad HD
Mirror's Edge
Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2
Radiant HD
Sim City
Soosiz HD
Spirits
Words With Friends HD
World of Goo

iPhone

100 Rogues
AcrossAgeDX
Angry Birds
Angry Birds [Seasons]
Ash
Battleheart
Bejeweled 2
Broken Sword
Castlevania
ChaosRings
Chronicles of Inotia
Civilization Revolution
Claire Garden
Crosslogic
Cut the Rope
Cut the Rope [Holiday]
Dark Nebula
Dark Nebula 2
Dark Nova
Dizzypad
Doodle Jump
Dragon's Lair
Drop7
Ecco the Dolphin
Fastar!
Final Fantasy
Fling
Frogger
Fruit Ninja
Galaga Remix
Golden Axe
GrandPar Golf
Grimm
Grokion
Hector Episode 1
Heroes Lore
Hoggy
Hook World
The Incident
Jim & Frank Mysteries
Krazy Kart
Link4
Lumines
Mega Worm
Mirror's Edge
Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2
Monopoly
Monopoly: Here & Now
Movie Cat!
Need for Speed: Hot Persuit
Oregon Trail
Osmos
Pac-Man
Phantasy Star 2
Pizza Boy
Phoenix Spirit
Puzzle Agent
Queen's Crown
Radiant
Rage HD
Rayman 2
Rocket Boy 2D
Sad Princess
Scarlett and the Spark of Life
Scramble
Shubuya
Shelly the Shell Master
Shining Force
The Simpsons Arcade
Soosiz
Soul
Spider
Spirits
Star Wars Arcade
Super Laser
Tiny Wings
Today I Die Again
Truckers Delight
Tumbledrop
Twin Blades
UNO
Up Fish
Wheel of Fortune
Wild Frontie
Wispin
Words With Friends
Zenonia
Zenonia 2

Wishlist
Age of Zombies
Aralon: Sword and Shadow
Beneath a Steel Sky
Broken Sword: The Smoking Mirror
Chaos Rings [iPad]
Dead Space
Dead Space [iPad]
Dig Dug REMIX
Dungeon Hunter
Dungeon Hunter 2
Eternal Legacy
Enteral Legacy HD [iPad]
Final Fantasy II
Fruit Ninja HD [Ipad]
Hamlet or the Last Game
Hamlet or the Last Game [iPad]
I Love Katamari
Illusia
Infinity Blade
Inotia 2
Inotia 3
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
Myst
NBA JAM
Nick Chase: A Detective Story
Nick Chase: A Detective Story [Ipad]
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Riven: The Sequel to Myst
Secret of Mana
Sword of Fargoal
Sword of Fargoal Legends [iPad]
The Game of Life
The Quest

LQX

VitaminApple said:
So GAF, I've gone crazy and downloaded all of these games. From looking at my list, can you think of any hidden gems that I might have missed?

At least give yourself time in between games dudes. Dropping over a hundred for so many games in one day makes no damn sense.

Mifune

Mehmber
Just got an iPhone this week (my first smartphone!) and picked up a few games.

Angry Birds
Infinity Blade
Pixel Pig
Hector: Badge of Carnage
Space Miner

Only played Birds and Infinity Blade so far. Love both of them.

Brakara

DangerousDave said:
Hunters Episode 1 IS OUT!!!

Is free (freemium, it seems), 122 MB, downloading now.

Free to level 2, then unlock the full game with an in-app purchase (or continue to play at level 2).

Qatar

DangerousDave said:
Hunters Episode 1 IS OUT!!!

Is free (freemium, it seems), 122 MB, downloading now.

why would they release separate versions for iPhone and iPad if it's a "freemuim"?
and the iPad version is 11 Mb smaller than the iPhone version !

I just saw the free version is capped to level 2, so it's a hidden lite version. The game cost 3'99. They say that if you already bought it, you can upgrade for free, so it doesn't matter if you delete it from the phone.

I suppose the iPad version is different in order to charge for both versions.

I only made the tutorial, but it seems great. You can guard positions, spending an action point and autoattack if any enemy crosses your guarded area as many times as your action points left. The amount of AP depend of the armour (3 heavy, 4 medium, 5 light), each tile movement and each attack consume 1 AP.

They give you free objects clicking special "contracts", that are ads of other games that bring you to appstore.

Minsc

Gold Member
Getting Hunters, a little disappointed it's an in-app purchase, aka you'll forever be locked out of your purchase if their servers go down, and your app will function as a demo.

Minsc said:
Getting Hunters, a little disappointed it's an in-app purchase, aka you'll forever be locked out of your purchase if their servers go down, and your app will function as a demo.

Well, this if their servers go down AND you reinstall the game in the phone, i suppose.

Anyone that bought the full version can confirm if there is any campaign-related mission? Or is only more "random" contracts? I'm still undecided.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hey Vitamin, your list definitely needs (in order or prefeference)

Sword and Poker 2 (stat, like RIGHT NOW, seriously man!)

Bit Trip HD (iPAD)

Infinity Field (iPad)

MuBlip (better on IPad I guess)

Canabalt (wait for 99c and grab it)

Then:

Dodonpachi R (play it on the iPad tho, much more playable imo. Also, this would be my number 1 if it wasn't for the price, which is more than right for its content but I know on iOS it's difficult to see the real value of a game and spend more than $3)
Super Stick Golf
League of Evil
Flick Kick Football
Mad Skills Motocross
Sushi Cat
I Must Run!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Sh0k said:
Garage Inc and Garage Inc HD are free at the moment.

REALLY good. Everyone DL it while they can.

Edit: YAHTZEE Adventures is free today only too, also worth a download.
Edit2: Vikings Can Fly is another freebie worth a DL today...

Edit3: BATTLEHEART is on sale for $1 - down from $3. If you don't own it yet, no excuses! It's a huge game.

Peru

Jubeat is creeping up the list of my favorite rhythm games of all time, closer and closer to the top. And this is me playing it on an ipod, which surely must mean a gimped experience compared to the ipad version and the < arcade game.

VitaminApple said:

iPad
Angry Birds HD
Broken Sword
Dizzypad HD
Mirror's Edge
Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2
Radiant HD
Sim City
Soosiz HD
Spirits
Words With Friends HD
World of Goo

iPhone

100 Rogues
AcrossAgeDX
Angry Birds
Angry Birds [Seasons]
Ash
Battleheart
Bejeweled 2
Broken Sword
Castlevania
ChaosRings
Chronicles of Inotia
Civilization Revolution
Claire Garden
Crosslogic
Cut the Rope
Cut the Rope [Holiday]
Dark Nebula
Dark Nebula 2
Dark Nova
Dizzypad
Doodle Jump
Dragon's Lair
Drop7
Ecco the Dolphin
Fastar!
Final Fantasy
Fling
Frogger
Fruit Ninja
Galaga Remix
Golden Axe
GrandPar Golf
Grimm
Grokion
Hector Episode 1
Heroes Lore
Hoggy
Hook World
The Incident
Jim & Frank Mysteries
Krazy Kart
Link4
Lumines
Mega Worm
Mirror's Edge
Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2
Monopoly
Monopoly: Here & Now
Movie Cat!
Need for Speed: Hot Persuit
Oregon Trail
Osmos
Pac-Man
Phantasy Star 2
Pizza Boy
Phoenix Spirit
Puzzle Agent
Queen's Crown
Radiant
Rage HD
Rayman 2
Rocket Boy 2D
Sad Princess
Scarlett and the Spark of Life
Scramble
Shubuya
Shelly the Shell Master
Shining Force
The Simpsons Arcade
Soosiz
Soul
Spider
Spirits
Star Wars Arcade
Super Laser
Tiny Wings
Today I Die Again
Truckers Delight
Tumbledrop
Twin Blades
UNO
Up Fish
Wheel of Fortune
Wild Frontie
Wispin
Words With Friends
Zenonia
Zenonia 2

Wishlist
Age of Zombies
Aralon: Sword and Shadow
Beneath a Steel Sky
Broken Sword: The Smoking Mirror
Chaos Rings [iPad]
Dead Space
Dead Space [iPad]
Dig Dug REMIX
Dungeon Hunter
Dungeon Hunter 2
Eternal Legacy
Enteral Legacy HD [iPad]
Final Fantasy II
Fruit Ninja HD [Ipad]
Hamlet or the Last Game
Hamlet or the Last Game [iPad]
I Love Katamari
Illusia
Infinity Blade
Inotia 2
Inotia 3
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
Myst
NBA JAM
Nick Chase: A Detective Story
Nick Chase: A Detective Story [Ipad]
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Riven: The Sequel to Myst
Secret of Mana
Sword of Fargoal
Sword of Fargoal Legends [iPad]
The Game of Life
The Quest

Pirate or future substance abuser?

Burger

Played Hunters: Episode 1 and while I was excited for it at first...

...it's not as awesome as I imagined it would be. I was expecting Jagged Alliance in a Hired Guns setting, and while that is somewhat descriptive, it's not as good as it sounds.

The graphics are ok, in that they look like one of those PC games from Eastern Europe who are still creating 2D artwork using version 3 of 3DS Max.

It would be way more awesome if the art was better (some 2D sprites for the items in the shop would be nice), the missions were a bit more than 'blow everyone away' and some more story was involved. Also some music would be welcome.

Currently the game suffers from constant crashes, and poping audio. But I'm thankful it was a free demo and not something I wasted 10 bucks on.

Minsc

Gold Member
VitaminApple said:
Tried it. Hated it.

No Galaxy on Fire 2? Shame on no Sword & Poker 2 either. There's probably at least another 40 or 50 apps missing from that list, but I'm too lazy to figure out what :)

I uninstall games I don't play for a long time or lose interest in but today was the first time I tried to sync for updates and had no space left, looks like my 2g 8GB is finally on it's last legs.

Next pay I want to buy a 4g 16GB, might just wait for September but it's too far away!

*edit* nova 2 is 1.1GB, holy cow.

NekoFever

Feels good
man
when you finally break through a difficult section in Tiny Wings. I was having a ton of trouble doing the challenge for ten perfect slides on the first island, finally nailed it, broke my long-standing top score, and then got my first 100,000+ score (105,494) on the very next run.

Tying the achievements/challenges to your multiplier really is an ingenious way to keep you progressing steadily.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
updated March 23rd, 2011
Game Center & OpenFeint's NeoGAFFERS list said:
As support for Gamecenter grows, and Openfeint's not that bad as well (Tiny Wings GAF's craze!), it seemed a good idea to give Gaffers one more reason to check out highscore leaderboards and online multiplayer. Hundred games support the feature now, and more and more are adding it by the day, either out of the gate or with a post-launch patch. Best of the best like Flick Kick Football, Dodonpachi, Bit Trip Beat and Canabalt already have it, and tomorrow your favorite game will too! Steam, Psn and Live friend lists showed us how much friendly competion, or co-operaration, can improve a game we love, and with time iOS will make for great Gamecenter communities as well... The ubiquity of portable platform will make GC a staple of the gaming experience, you don't want to miss on that, right?
Lately we're having a blast with Mad Skills MX (motocross) challenges on Openfeint, hilarious trashtalking included, you should join too! I'm also often posting screenshots of GAF-only profile lists during this challenges: those are GAF related profiles and don't include any of my IRL friends, so don't be afraid to add them on the spot if you missed some of those from here! Remember to always send a friend request letting us know who you are on GAF, this is just to keep non-registered users from spamming our accounts.
Jump in! :)
-Dash
Code:

[B]GAF Name[/B] = [B]Profile Name[/B] [OpenFeint; Game Center]

1) Dash Kappei = Dash Kappei GAF [OF/GC]

2) RelentlessRolento = relentlessRolento [OF/GC]

3) Flunkie = Flunkie44 [GC] / Flunkie [OF]

4) Dante = Old Jay Bear [GC]

5) jts = jts [GC]

6) soldat7 = soldat7 [GC]

7) marc^o^ = marc^o^ [GC]

8) thetrin = thetrin [GC]

9) hyp = hypoetical [GC/OF]

10) WordAssassin = Wordassassin [GC] / w0rda55a551n [OF]

11) Smokeyymicpot = Smokeyymicpot [GC]

12) Lagspike_exe = Lagspike_exe [GC]

13) The_Reckoning = The_Reckoning [GC]

14) U2NUMB = U2NUMB [GC]

15) Sirfox = Sirfox [GC] / Sirfox [OF]

16) Jayayess1190 = Jayayess1190 [GC/OF]

17) Radogol = Radogol [GC]

18) Gamecocks625 = Gamecocks625 [GC] / gamecocks neogaf [OF]

18) Mejilan = Mejilan [GC/OF]

19) TechSamurai = TechSamuraiX [GC] / TechSamurai [OF]

20) rc213 = rc213 [GC] / rc213 [OF]

21) Chakankun = Chackan [GC] / Chackan [OF]

22) dk_ = dekow [GC]

23) cyport = cyport [GC/OF]

24) graywolf323 = graywolf323 [GC] / graywolf323 [OF]

25) xbhaskarx = xbhaskarx [GC/OF]

26) Xater = Xater [GC/OF]

27) Reese015 = Reese015 [GC/OF]

28) HosannaExcelsis = HosannaExcelsis [GC/OF]

29) Bioshocked = YouInReverse [GC]

30) Khanage = Khanage [GC] / _abu_ [OF]

31) jessecuster = jessecuster3 [GC]

32) Baconbitz = baconbitz [GC/OF]

33) Gunstarheroes = soupbones [GC/OF]

34) the TMO = theTMO [GC]

35) falconzss = falconzss [GC/OF]

36) hulot = herrhulot [GC/OF]

37) Jedeye Sniv = Jedeye Sniv [GC&OF]

38) Bungalow Bob = The Little Turkey [GC/OF]

39) Mejilan = Mejilan [GC/OF]

40) Agent White = EVaz18 [GC] 

41) Synless = Synless [GC]

42) Dynamite Ringo Matsuri = Zazen_Incidents [GC] / Zazen Incidents [OF]

43) Sh0k = Shokleeto [GC] / Choclito [OF]

45) Talon- = SteveWon [GC]

46) Fladam = MentorTormentor [GC] 

47) brassica = brassica_ [GC/OF]

48) golem = g0l3m [GC]

49) ksan = kweekan [OF&GC]

50) Wario64 = Wario64 [GC] / WarioSixFour [OF]

51) jonnybryce = jonathanM21 [GC/OF]

52) FatalT = TylertheHood [GC] / FatalT [OF]

53) Zeth = JasonBurt [GC] / ZethPA [OF]

54) Porthos = Porthos [GC]

55) JodyAnthony = JodyAnthony [GC]

56) Vyer = Vyer [GC/OF]

57) Downhome = RockySC [GC] / cblumkin [OF]

58) number1jagsfan = number1jagsfan [GC/OF]

59) whitehawk = Kowaku [GC/OF]

60) Powerhouse = spodemonic [GC/OF]

61) dantehemi- dantehemi (GC/OF)

62) Awesome Animals = Awesome Animals [GC/OF]

63) Carlisle = emogu84 [GC/OF]

64) BKXB = BKXB [GC/OF]

65) Blaburn = Blaburn [GC]

66) mozfan12 = moz27 [GC]

67) des0lar = DarudinZvierg [GC] / Des0lar [OF] 

68) bathala = a secret boss [GC]/ bathala GAF [OF]

69) Ace 8095 = ilovekoalas [GC/OF]

70) jetjevons = JETJEVONS [GC/OF]

71) smokeyymicpot = smokeyymicpot [OF]

72) Jasoco = Jasoco [GC/OF]

Thanks to its success, the list will now get updated constantly, with the newest profiles always added to the bottom of the list.

#RULES:

• Post your profile in this thread first or otherwise you won't be added
  • **IMPORTANT**: Follow the same formatting you see on the list e.g. 
    GAF name = name [GC/OF] or, if you've got different profile names, with GAF name = name [GC] / name [OF]
  • [When you add someone, it'd be polite to sign the friend request with your NeoGAF name so to easily tell who's who and avoid unknown non-registered lurkers :)
  • [Send me a pm when you want to be added to the list if I haven't noticed your post, the parse code is bit iffy so that might happen.
    Send me a pm if you want to be taken off the list or to update your profile, please include your number on the list.

• We are on the list and, if you are too, it's ok to add us even if we're not best buddies;  don't be shy: we enjoy having more GAFfer challenging us on the friends leaderboard.
  • [Don't just wait on others to add you, you should at least add some of the profiles posted above yours if you want to get the ball rolling... It's really up to you. Ideally the last member of the list will be the one to add the profiles above his, and so on and on with each new member. Or maybe just add whoever you like, that' also an option ;)
Shouts for old games getting a Gamecenter update are always very appreciated in this thread!

The list will be posted only upon request and once in a while, something reasonable so to not make it redundant.
Ciao, see you on the leaderboards :)

ksan

Dash Kappei said:
^^^^^^
Good, we're always looking for more Gaffers to join and the Tiny Wings craze is just the perfect excuse!
Hey WARIO, check it out, we know you're on top but damn we'll come and get you (yeah right) if you give us the chance :p
In the meantime, Sh0k/Choclito is on top with 180k iirc (more or less).
192k here D:
Guess I could add myself:
ksan = kweekan [OF&GC]

Diablohead said:
I uninstall games I don't play for a long time or lose interest in but today was the first time I tried to sync for updates and had no space left, looks like my 2g 8GB is finally on it's last legs.

Next pay I want to buy a 4g 16GB, might just wait for September but it's too far away!

*edit* nova 2 is 1.1GB, holy cow.

There is no 16GB ipod touch. It jumps from 8GB to 32GB.

Oli said:
The audience Nintendo goes after with the 3DS is the same crew that pays $60 for a retail console game. If Nintendo is in trouble then by association Sony and Microsoft are as well, since the days of paying for larger games are coming to a close, evidently.

I've found that since i started getting into iOS gaming, I've played my consoles less and less. Other than larger AAA titles, 90% of my gaming has been on the ipad. Haven't had time to sit down long enough to focus on finishing Dead Space 2, for example. Sitting down with console time is a commitment, but I'll finish eventually. Online console gaming, however? That's like another lifetime ago. Even when i do fire up the console, i'm doing Pac Man CE DX , a quick bit of Dead Space 2, or perhaps scrolling through the cheaper XBL Games on Demand just because i've gotten used to the iOS mindset of downloading full games and owning them on my hard drive.

I dropped my impulse gaming on consoles, sold my PS3 (kept my 360), and game on the go with my iPAD....and I've been a gamer since Pong, Vic 20, and Vetrex!

The big consoles *should* be worried. I couldn't justify dropping 60 bucks on, say, Marvel v. Capcom 3, but I don't think twice about getting a new ipad game from the app store. $1-$7 games are incredible! On the iPad, they LOOK fantastic, too!

How on earth have I spent 9 hours on Battlehearts so far??? Awesome game.

Zeth

bigace33 said:
When does Final Fantasy III drop? I'm really getting desperate for some JRPG action on the ipad.

Anybody try Across Age HD? 16 bit jrpg looks incredible but haven't heard from anyone who played it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom