• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |OT2| Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reese-015

heringer said:
Smooth framerate? It runs super low on my iPhone 4.

The game controls well, but other than that I didn't like it. Framerate made it unplayable to me.

And Galaxy on Fire 2 have great controls too. But it really depends on your ship. Some don't control as well as others. The ones with super high handling are incredibly responsive and smooth.

Damn, sorry to hear that... Framerate is as high as anything I've seen on the 3GS (comparable to Jet Car Stunts).

Reese-015 said:
Damn, sorry to hear that... Framerate is as high as anything I've seen on the 3GS (comparable to Jet Car Stunts).

my first ever mac, an ibook G4 from 2004, came with nanosaur 2 installed, but it runs and looks a hell of a lot better on my iphone 4 today. can't complain!

Reese-015

345triangle said:
my first ever mac, an ibook G4 from 2004, came with nanosaur 2 installed, but it runs and looks a hell of a lot better on my iphone 4 today. can't complain!

It's the most intuitive and immersive flying experience I've had on the device thus far, and its quirkiness and great graphics are really making me a fan.

Multiplayer must be awesome, haven't gotten to try it yet though. Add me on gamecenter: reese015 .

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Reese-015 said:
It's the most intuitive and immersive flying experience I've had on the device thus far, and its quirkiness and great graphics are really making me a fan.

Multiplayer must be awesome, haven't gotten to try it yet though. Add me on gamecenter: reese015 .
Have you played Glyder?

Gameloft has a free (read: Demo) version of Real Golf 2011 on the App Store now. It's actually not all that bad. I definitely enjoy it more than Let's Golf 2 (a little choppy, slow swing meter, Hot Shots without the polish) and Tiger Woods (way too powerful shots and terrible graphics). I think I like using the 3 click method along with the ability to change your stance to affect spin instead of the touch-meter method (which isn't as good as the one in Tiger). I'll definitely buy it once it drops from the initial $6.99 price point.

Carlisle

Tobor said:
If your main interest is getting video from apps onto the screen, it's worth keeping on an eye on the Apple TV once 4.2 hits. $40 more than what you paid, and you get a lot more functionality.
I'm really interested in the prospects of AirPlay. I like the video feature but if we can get full apps to display across AirPlay, I'll have an Apple TV by the end of today.

Shouldn't be that hard right? I'd think video takes up a lot more bandwidth, but I suppose if you're using an iPhone as a controller input lag becomes an issue.

Bought Chu Chu Rocket for my iPod. I love it and can't wait till they add online to it. Sure crashes a lot though, but it seems they know about that.

Also kinda a related bummer, I discovered what looks like a dead pixel on my iPod today. It looks like a speck of dust on the retina display. I'd worry about it more but I plan to just sell this model and upgrade next September anyways.

Carlisle said:
I'm really interested in the prospects of AirPlay. I like the video feature but if we can get full apps to display across AirPlay, I'll have an Apple TV by the end of today.

Shouldn't be that hard right? I'd think video takes up a lot more bandwidth, but I suppose if you're using an iPhone as a controller input lag becomes an issue.
http://mrgan.tumblr.com/post/1535213299/could-you-airplay-an-ios-game

Have you ever used one of the wifi mouse applications? Now imagine controlling a game like that.

Remy

Secret Exit just announced in their newsletter that Zen Bound 1 is available for free for a limited time. (Also that it's now self-published and NOT through Chillingo, so if you have the old version you may want to re-grab.)

japtor

WordAssassin said:
Ok guys, what's the better Chu Chu option:

1) Buy the iPhone version, be able to play it on my iPhone, but also 2X on my iPad

2) Just buy the iPad version, enjoy full-res graphics on iPad

Is there any difference between the two? Is there really any reason beyond graphics to get the iPad version over the iPhone one and running it 2X?
iPad one has single device multiplayer iirc.
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
http://mrgan.tumblr.com/post/1535213299/could-you-airplay-an-ios-game

Have you ever used one of the wifi mouse applications? Now imagine controlling a game like that.
Yeah that sums up what I was gonna say. AirPlay (at least in the current form) wouldn't work for gaming, about the only way to pull it off would be if they allowed running something on the ATV itself, similar to how the iPad is running The Incident.

...it's certainly possible since the hardware is basically the same, it's just an issue of software support and actual usage/interface implementation.

otmane

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Bought Chu Chu Rocket for my iPod. I love it and can't wait till they add online to it. Sure crashes a lot though, but it seems they know about that.

Also kinda a related bummer, I discovered what looks like a dead pixel on my iPod today. It looks like a speck of dust on the retina display. I'd worry about it more but I plan to just sell this model and upgrade next September anyways.

Does Chu Chu Rocket have retina support?

Shanks

So how exactly did Game Center do this? I restored my phone, logged into Game Center with another Apple ID and it tells me it has 21 achievements unlocked in Age of Zombies. Whatever, the game is great.

Shanks said:
So how exactly did Game Center do this? I restored my phone, logged into Game Center with another Apple ID and it tells me it has 21 achievements unlocked in Age of Zombies. Whatever, the game is great.
Does Age of Zombies support OpenFeint achievements? The same thing happened to me with Super 7. I signed into Game Center and all the achievements popped up there the next time I played Super 7 because it pulled everything over from OpenFeint.

RBH

Gamecocks625 said:
Gameloft has a free (read: Demo) version of Real Golf 2011 on the App Store now. It's actually not all that bad. I definitely enjoy it more than Let's Golf 2 (a little choppy, slow swing meter, Hot Shots without the polish) and Tiger Woods (way too powerful shots and terrible graphics). I think I like using the 3 click method along with the ability to change your stance to affect spin instead of the touch-meter method (which isn't as good as the one in Tiger). I'll definitely buy it once it drops from the initial $6.99 price point.
My sentiments exactly. Looked and played alot better than Tiger Woods.

3 click method ftw.

Shanks

Nintendo Playstation said:
Does Age of Zombies support OpenFeint achievements? The same thing happened to me with Super 7. I signed into Game Center and all the achievements popped up there the next time I played Super 7 because it pulled everything over from OpenFeint.

AH. That may be it cause I did sign into the same Openfient account!

Just noticed EA have a sale going on, both NFS games are 59p and tiger woods and the rest are most likely cheap too, you know a sale is going on if you see shift in the top 20 in the UK charts lol

Has anyone else checked out Necromancer Rising? I've been playing it for half an hour and find myself regretting the purchase. A dungeon crawler with Oblivion's combat system is not a very good idea.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Cheesyhobo said:
Has anyone else checked out Necromancer Rising? I've been playing it for half an hour and find myself regretting the purchase. A dungeon crawler with Oblivion's combat system is not a very good idea.

I'll check it out.

Does anybody know if in app purchases can be re-downloaded?

For example...

Beatwave is a universal app and has a bunch of add-on instruments and stuff that you can buy. If I buy those from the iPad version, when I go to download them from the iPod version will it charge me twice or will it do like iTunes does and tell me I've already paid for that content so the download will be free?

neojubei

PhlivoSong said:
Does anybody know if in app purchases can be re-downloaded?

For example...

Beatwave is a universal app and has a bunch of add-on instruments and stuff that you can buy. If I buy those from the iPad version, when I go to download them from the iPod version will it charge me twice or will it do like iTunes does and tell me I've already paid for that content so the download will be free?

Yes, apps and games can be redownloaded for FREE after you initially buy them. If i bought an app for the iphone and wanted to redownload it for the ipad or again on the iphone, you wont have to purchase the app again as long as the same account that initially bought the game or app is redownloading it.

neojubei said:
Yes, apps and games can be redownloaded for FREE after you initially buy them. If i bought an app for the iphone and wanted to redownload it for the ipad or again on the iphone, you wont have to purchase the app again as long as the same account that initially bought the game or app is redownloading it.

Thanks for the response, but my question was related to content you purchase in app. Not the purchase of the app itself. I'm wondering if in app purchased content has the same rules for re-downloading as the app itself.

Jonnyram

PhlivoSong said:
Thanks for the response, but my question was related to content you purchase in app. Not the purchase of the app itself. I'm wondering if in app purchased content has the same rules for re-downloading as the app itself.
It's all treated as the same. In-app purchases are redownloadable across multiple devices for no extra charge. I've done this myself with Taiko no Tatsujin on iPad/iPhone.

Jonnyram

Not afaik. They probably check that cc/address info match?
So you'll need gift cards/point cards. They sell them everywhere, though.

KtSlime

Jonnyram said:
Not afaik. They probably check that cc/address info match?
So you'll need gift cards/point cards. They sell them everywhere, though.
Thanks, but I just can't bring myself to pay the exorbitant markup they place on the cards, especially when I am in japan I can use my us visa card most anywhere. Lol, I guess I'll have to stock up on cards next time I go.

neojubei

Jonnyram said:
It's all treated as the same. In-app purchases are redownloadable across multiple devices for no extra charge. I've done this myself with Taiko no Tatsujin on iPad/iPhone.

Hmm didn't know that, pretty cool.

soldat7

Incitemaybe said:
Looking at this thread, it looks like the official Scrabble app might be worth it as a replacement for Words with Friends.

Don't forget HexaLex

mzl.cowjcrnh.320x480-75.jpg

Retina + Game Center

macfoshizzle said:
has anyone played the new game.. civilization wars by the maker of cut the rope yet? is it any good?

It's like Mushroom Wars.

I think the problem with this game is everything is so small, it's hard to navigate around without accidently clicking on something else. It's a bit fiddly unfortunately.

So happy Tilt to Live finally dropped, and it is just as good as I've been told. I'm in serious trouble if I so much as swipe past the icon for it while I'm at work today.

One question, though -- Game Center integration is nice, but is it actually integrated into the game itself at all? I wish the in-game leaderboards link was for GC instead of Aeon or whatever it's called. Do other GC games incorporate it in-game or is this all there is?

Eccocid

Is it possible to support voice chat on games on iPhone?
I wish there were some online co-op games where you can also talk instead of typing.
So far only proper online game i found was that MMROGP ocket Legends.

Eccocid said:
Is it possible to support voice chat on games on iPhone?
I wish there were some online co-op games where you can also talk instead of typing.
So far only proper online game i found was that MMROGP ocket Legends.
I have no idea actually if talking over games is possible, I think it might be a current or upcoming game centre addition, not sure.

Pocket Legends is awesome, I played it solid when it first came out and hit the level cap of 25 after buying the first 3 dlc areas, not really played it much since then but it is a great game, most other mmo or online rpg's right now are korean based using sprites or those fight each other freemium games.

Peru

Anyone played the new Cave game? On the surface it doesn't look too interesting, but is it good? I just want them to keep putting out bullet hell, and I'm not really sure what genre to put this one in.

Eccocid

Peru said:
Anyone played the new Cave game? On the surface it doesn't look too interesting, but is it good? I just want them to keep putting out bullet hell, and I'm not really sure what genre to put this one in.

I saw the video but didn't look very appealing to me. They should port more shumps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom