• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |OT2| Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

heringer

Dual-stick shooters never really picked my interest, but I liked Minigore. Is there any dual-stick shooter with some depth behind it instead of just trying for better scores?

heringer said:
Dual-stick shooters never really picked my interest, but I liked Minigore. Is there any dual-stick shooter with some depth behind it instead of just trying for better scores?
Gun Bros has an experience/economy for upgrading your dude. Also is free, and can be played completely competently without spending a dime, but if you feel like it you can spend real world $ for upgrades. Plus there are social aspects that let you benefit from friends.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
heringer said:
it's not dual-stick per se but check out tilt to live if you're not totally averse to tilt controls. not a big fan of either dual-stick-style games or tilt controls and yet i love that game.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
heringer said:
Age of Zombies is pretty damn good. Lovely pixel art, too.
Also, Dudebro II once it's finally done :p (might still take a while though :( ).

Oli

Rather than starting a new thread, I figured I'd use this one. I'm getting an iPod touch and I want some awesome game-age on it.

Some stuff I'm thinking about already:

Final Fantasy 1 (and/or) 2
Final Fantasy Tactics (When it comes out)
Cut the Rope (Or whatever it's called)

Otherwise I have no idea what the good stuff is. Inform me GAF!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Oh, forgot to mention that Guerrilla Bob improved quite a bit with the latest updates. It's definitely worth its price now.

Oli said:
Rather than starting a new thread, I figured I'd use this one. I'm getting an iPod touch and I want some awesome game-age on it.

Both Monkey Island Special Editions (if you already played them, feel free to skip the first as the iPhone version is especially terrible :( Luckily, the second one is quite good)
Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright (the DS version is better, but if you don't have one around it's still Ace Attorney and it's probably much cheaper)
Puzzle Agent (unless you're preordering the Back to the Future game on PC, which gets you a free copy of the PC version of Puzzle Agent too)
Game Dev Story (beware, it's digital crack and will destroy your social life)
Rock Band (one of the first games I got, pretty damn good on the iPhone if you ask me)

If you like dual stick shooters, Guerrilla Bob and Age of Zombies.
If you're looking for something lighter but still damn fun, Tumbledrop and Fruit Ninja.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
I second Tilt to Live. I'm not a fan of tilt control but it's tolerable in this game. The game's really fun and should be a must have. Also, get Mirror's Edge. It's a bit pricey but I believe it's on sale right now. It's gorgeous, controls beautifully and most importantly, it takes advantage of the iTouch/iPhone in a fantastic manner. By far the best app ever. The only downside is that it drains the batterylife pretty darn fast.

heringer

viralmarketeer said:
Gun Bros has an experience/economy for upgrading your dude. Also is free, and can be played completely competently without spending a dime, but if you feel like it you can spend real world $ for upgrades. Plus there are social aspects that let you benefit from friends.
I tried Gun Bros. It's cool and it does have the kind of depth I want, but I didn't found the gameplay to be very enjoyable. It's not bad, but it's not as satisfying and rewarding as something like Minigore.

AstroLad said:
it's not dual-stick per se but check out tilt to live if you're not totally averse to tilt controls. not a big fan of either dual-stick-style games or tilt controls and yet i love that game.
Hmm, thanks. I'll check this one. :D

Jocchan said:
Age of Zombies is pretty damn good. Lovely pixel art, too.
Also, Dudebro II once it's finally done :p (might still take a while though :( ).
Age of Zombies looks cool, but isn't it shallow like Minigore? My main problem with games like this is that I really don't care about getting better scores. I like the gameplay, but without the content everything feels kinda pointless to me. :/

BKXB

Economist
Oli said:

Also, Space Miner Blast (free) - http://appshopper.com/games/space-miner-blast

52club

Oli said:

I've had my touch about a month now. My favorite game so far is Angry Birds. Although it took me a while to figure out that the birds had special powers:lol .

I need some help testing my iphone game. It's a sci fi ball rolling game with bad art.
IMG_0201.png
IMG_0199.png

PM if you want to test it out.

I have been in a bit of an experimental mood this week and want to work out a good solution to the tiny battery life of a 2g touch, I was thinking about buying one of those external but small battery boosters like this, but instead of sticking it out the bottom I would buy a cheap extension iphone cable, cut it down to about 2 inches and make a pocket on the back of the touch to house the battery while plugged in using a cheap 2g touch plastic shell.

What do you think? my main gaming time is at night or away from home and the 1.5 to 2 hours average life when under load is rather poor.

japtor

Diablohead said:
I have been in a bit of an experimental mood this week and want to work out a good solution to the tiny battery life of a 2g touch, I was thinking about buying one of those external but small battery boosters like this, but instead of sticking it out the bottom I would buy a cheap extension iphone cable, cut it down to about 2 inches and make a pocket on the back of the touch to house the battery while plugged in using a cheap 2g touch plastic shell.

What do you think? my main gaming time is at night or away from home and the 1.5 to 2 hours average life when under load is rather poor.
Could try a general purpose USB battery pack along with a standard iPod USB cable, which they probably make in short lengths (if not retractable cord types) that would fit your use.

60_gig_PS3 said:
I need some help testing my iphone game. It's a sci fi ball rolling game with bad art.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/sakidd1/IMG_0201.png[IMG][IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/sakidd1/IMG_0199.png[IMG]

PM if you want to test it out.[/QUOTE]
I like the simple look, reminds me of marble madness :D do I need an american account to help test?

[QUOTE=japtor]Could try a general purpose USB battery pack along with a standard iPod USB cable, which they probably make in short lengths (if not retractable cord types) that would fit your use.[/QUOTE]
Any idea if a usb charge pack/stick/thing would work? ipods and iphones can be rather strict. USB to iphone cable with a usb charge pack sounds reasonable.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
heringer said:
I tried Gun Bros. It's cool and it does have the kind of depth I want, but I didn't found the gameplay to be very enjoyable. It's not bad, but it's not as satisfying and rewarding as something like Minigore.

Hmm, thanks. I'll check this one. :D

Age of Zombies looks cool, but isn't it shallow like Minigore? My main problem with games like this is that I really don't care about getting better scores. I like the gameplay, but without the content everything feels kinda pointless to me. :/
Gun Bros tbh is the very definition of shallow.
Age of Zombies has several waves of enemies you need to survive to get to the next map, with some bosses in-between.
Guerrilla Bob has real level progression instead of arenas.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I finished the PSP ver of Age of Zombies in like an hour. It's fun for what it is but it could have been a lot more fun if there were more enemy types. It's pretty much just zombies, bigger zombies with more hit points, slightly quicker zombies and zombies that explode when touched/shot.. all using the same easily exploitable movement pattern. There's a boss at the end of every level with unique moves but they don't really need much of a strategy to defeat.

Jonnyram

60_gig_PS3 said:
IMG_0201.png
IMG_0199.png

Hey. Did your last game get released in the end? I remember you said you were submitting it for approval, but didn't hear much about it after that.

Minsc

Gold Member
Diablohead said:
Any idea if a usb charge pack/stick/thing would work? ipods and iphones can be rather strict. USB to iphone cable with a usb charge pack sounds reasonable.

This is very well reviewed, if I didn't already have a pack for my iPhone 4 I'd probably have gotten that.

Jocchan said:
Gun Bros tbh is the very definition of shallow.
Age of Zombies has several waves of enemies you need to survive to get to the next map, with some bosses in-between.
Guerrilla Bob has real level progression instead of arenas.

Gun Bros is more fun than Minigore, at least the enemies are more varied. I killed over 1000 things in Minigore and 95% of them are the same run right at you enemy.

Gun Bros feels more like a shump at time with bullets flying everywhere. I also prefer the progress method for advancing in worlds (completed waves) in Gun Bros over the non-existent one in Minigore. It's not great or anything, but for a mindless game, it does the job better imo.

Koodo

Banned
SHIBUYA has a new update out! Brings GC support and some other little things I can't remember (probably bug fixes).

Aaron

Gameloft's the Settlers just got updated with retina support for people who care about such things. Really great strategy game. Not anything else like it on the iphone.

wondermega

60_gig_PS3 said:
IMG_0201.png
IMG_0199.png

it's garish and bright but, combined with the extreme camera angle, actually looks fairly cool!

bdouble

deim0s said:
Anyone, Robokill any good? It seems like a SmashTV/Robotron-esque game.
First iDevice game I've downloaded in a while and I really like it. Might have the best controls of any dual stick shooter I've played. The upgrades and leveling are pretty nice as well.

KtSlime

Koodo said:
SHIBUYA has a new update out! Brings GC support and some other little things I can't remember (probably bug fixes).
I just noticed it, however, it look like they rereleased it or something, cause it wants me to buy it but it's already on my phone.

japtor

Glass Joe said:
I d/l upon suggestion the lite version of Espgaluda 2... It's too short for me to really describe whether or not it's worth the money. It's crazy graphically and definitely exciting, and it controls great... but I'm not sure if I was good at the game or if the graphics are just wild. I had fun, but for $9, I'm not sold on the full version just yet.

I will say it's much better than xFighter 2, which is "free" at the moment. However, "free" for a day (or however long it places itself) is totally false in that you get stuck with an ad version. Also (at least for me) the game frickin freezes before it can EVEN be played. Wasting the time to download this pissed me right off.
You probably suck at the game. Nothing against you, just being realistic. Try Dodonpachi (lite) too. You'll suck at it too but that's ok.

There's a massive difference between being good at them and merely surviving. The latter isn't too hard in these.

As for that xFighter game, it looks like they ripped of sprites from Raiden and I think another game, can't remember what that other ship looks like.

If you wanted a football game would you go for Madden or keep going through cheaper alternatives like this and this?
Diablohead said:
It depends on the pack but like the one linked a few posts back there are some that work. I have an eneloop branded 5000mah one (that only seemed to be sold in Costco for a short time in the US?) that works fine for my iPhone and iPad (the latter of which can be picky with chargers). I think it was $25 or $35. That one linked above (also 5000mah) is pretty good capacity for the price, there's a lot that cost more and many have less capacity.

Only thing to keep in mind is the size of it, it's not that big but if you have small pockets it could pose a problem. Ultimately it's like carrying another small device.

Koodo

Banned
ivedoneyourmom said:
I just noticed it, however, it look like they rereleased it or something, cause it wants me to buy it but it's already on my phone.
Hm? I downloaded the update for free without any issues.

Fusebox

Banned
ivedoneyourmom said:

Go to the App Store on your iPhone and select the Updates tab at the bottom instead.

KtSlime

Fusebox said:
Go to the App Store on your iPhone and select the Updates tab at the bottom instead.
Yeah, that's the only way I do updates (can, no Internet but edge)

Edit: took a leap of faith and repurchased it, fixed the problem free. Makes me wonder what other updates aren't showing up...

KtSlime

Fusebox said:
And when you select 'update' it asks you if you want to purchase the app? I've never seen that before.
No, the update button said 1.99. Like I didn't have it at all, and it wasn't in the update list. Thanks but fixed now. :D

KtSlime

Fusebox said:
Well I've never seen that one before either! V interesting. Was it a JB issue?
No, I don't jb, but I did update firmware a little while ago, maybe that was it, and I have an app that can't update cause it is too large for edge, so is perpetually paused till I get to my next Starbucks. That may be it too.

Jonnyram said:
Hey. Did your last game get released in the end? I remember you said you were submitting it for approval, but didn't hear much about it after that.

hmm probably the same game! was rejected then I lost interest and I eventually came back to finish it.
I'll post promo codes here once it's released probably a week or so.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Minsc said:
Gun Bros is more fun than Minigore, at least the enemies are more varied. I killed over 1000 things in Minigore and 95% of them are the same run right at you enemy.

Gun Bros feels more like a shump at time with bullets flying everywhere. I also prefer the progress method for advancing in worlds (completed waves) in Gun Bros over the non-existent one in Minigore. It's not great or anything, but for a mindless game, it does the job better imo.
It's definitely deeper and more complex than Minigore, but honestly the core gameplay left me completely unimpressed. Minigore is simpler and much more repetitive, but I had more fun with it.

Glass Joe

Jocchan said:
It's definitely deeper and more complex than Minigore, but honestly the core gameplay left me completely unimpressed. Minigore is simpler and much more repetitive, but I had more fun with it.

Quoting you because I had the exact same experience. Gun Bros. has a lot of cool ideas, but I just felt trapped in un-skippable menus and loading screens too often. You shouldn't have to wait to play a twitch game like this. Minigore has less variety but is straight to the point, and is therefore more satisfying.

RealRacing2-525x328.jpg

toucharcade said:
They're sneaking out one more detail this morning: Real Racing 2 will feature real licensed cars. So far the two cars they've confirmed as being in the game are the two found in the above image. On the right is the 2010 Chevrolet Corvette C6.R and on the left is the 2006 BMW Z4 M Coupe Race Car. No release dates, pricing, or any other details are available at this time.

I'd also love some dirt tracks.

Real Racing was a total surprise for me. I thought it's an extremely polished and fun racer.

ivedoneyourmom said:
No, I don't jb, but I did update firmware a little while ago, maybe that was it, and I have an app that can't update cause it is too large for edge, so is perpetually paused till I get to my next Starbucks. That may be it too.
Did you actually have the game on your phone? If you've gotten it in the past but don't have it on your device, it looks like you're rebuying again but then it figures out that you already have it on your account. It also won't show up in your updates unless it is on your device.

SmokyDave

TouchArcade via Gamecocks625 said:
They're sneaking out one more detail this morning: Real Racing 2 will feature real licensed cars. So far the two cars they've confirmed as being in the game are the two found in the above image. On the right is the 2010 Chevrolet Corvette C6.R and on the left is the 2006 BMW Z4 M Coupe Race Car. No release dates, pricing, or any other details are available at this time.
Wow!

When I saw the announcement I was hyped. A little part of me hoped for licensed cars this time but I doubted it'd happen. That's great news, this is my 2nd most anticipated game after GT5.

BarrenMind said:
From the man himself @ID_AA_Carmack: "Rage mobile has been approved, it should be on the app store tomorrow morning!"
Get in!

Insta-purchase.

Glass Joe

japtor said:
You probably suck at the game. Nothing against you, just being realistic. Try Dodonpachi (lite) too. You'll suck at it too but that's ok.

There's a massive difference between being good at them and merely surviving. The latter isn't too hard in these.

As for that xFighter game, it looks like they ripped of sprites from Raiden and I think another game, can't remember what that other ship looks like.

If you wanted a football game would you go for Madden or keep going through cheaper alternatives like this and this?

It depends on the pack but like the one linked a few posts back there are some that work. I have an eneloop branded 5000mah one (that only seemed to be sold in Costco for a short time in the US?) that works fine for my iPhone and iPad (the latter of which can be picky with chargers). I think it was $25 or $35. That one linked above (also 5000mah) is pretty good capacity for the price, there's a lot that cost more and many have less capacity.

Only thing to keep in mind is the size of it, it's not that big but if you have small pockets it could pose a problem. Ultimately it's like carrying another small device.

Lol, I'll just point out that in my confusion with the lite version of that game, I didn't die once. Call me old-school, but IMO truly sucking would make me think I wouldn't see the end of the first level... Instead I wondered afterwords if there was actually a way to screw up.

That xfigher2 thing simply pisses me off as a gamer. A game that doesn't run AT ALL (and apparently I'm not alone, as almost NO ONE can play it) simply shouldn't be in the app store to begin with. Apple for sure needs some kind of quality control standard pronto, before they mimic Atari and the great video game crash of Nineteen-Whenever-The-Fuck. Too many poor apps are flooding the store right now.

Reese-015

Jedeye Sniv said:
Oh my god that's amazing. So we get Rage on the iDevices months before the consoles and PCs? So cool.

More like a small quick Rage spin-off, it's called 'Mutant Bash TV' (think Carmack called it 'Rage mobile' in that tweet cause that's just how everyone happens to know it atm). It's sort of a fast-paced Doom Resurrection style shooter but with more camera freedom and it seems to be way more fun and refined (though I liked Doom Resurrection a lot) and it has pretty damn amazing graphics, especially for a game that runs well on below-3GS devices.

edit: oh and Carmack did mention a few times in the past that there is still going to be a more full-fledged Rage game for iOS next year... but I'm not sure whether that idea just changed into Mutant Bash TV or whether we'll still see a bigger Rage game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom