• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian new TGS trailer

ScOULaris

It's kind of a shame that you are playing SotC before Ico, rather than the other way around, but I guess if Ico is really going for that much right now then I don't blame you.

I remember ordering Ico off of Amazon back in 2004 for like $15 haha. Good luck to you. Try Gamestop.com. You can see if any stores in your area have a used copy in stock.

rhino4evr

ScOULaris said:
It's kind of a shame that you are playing SotC before Ico, rather than the other way around, but I guess if Ico is really going for that much right now then I don't blame you.

I remember ordering Ico off of Amazon back in 2004 for like $15 haha. Good luck to you. Try Gamestop.com. You can see if any stores in your area have a used copy in stock.

I rented Ico first when it came out, but didn't finish it. (I got stuck at the windmill) Then after I finished SOTC.. I went back to Ico and appreciated a bit more, also I passed the windmill part with NO problems. I can't figure out what the hell I must have been doing wrong at the time. Still I don't think my experience was diminished by finishing SOTC first.

ScOULaris

Yeah, it's not like playing a sequel before the original or anything, since the two games only loosely share a thematic universe.

But I would still argue that the most ideal order would be Ico before Shadow of the Colossus, just because I prefer to play games in the order that they were made. Plus, it makes the ending of Shadow a lot cooler if you played Ico first (and haven't had the ending spoiled already).

Fakto

Ueda has revealed that the ICO Collection topic may be a hot topic at an upcoming meeting with Sony.
“I do have an interest in that. Next week, I’ll have a meeting [about the possibility] … But it might not be so easy, because, with both titles we really stretched the limits of the PS2. It’s complex. So it’s not such an easy transfer to the PS3. But I want to discuss it.”

Was this posted yet ?

EDIT: Ups, just saw that PS Lifestyle is banned, don't give it to much credit then.

le.phat

Fakto said:
Was this posted yet ?
that would be so awesome that i refuse to acknowledge the possibility until i have a fisical copy of said games in my greedy mitts. Don't fucking play with my feelings Ueda
-san

ScOULaris

Yes, that was already posted. I do believe the quote was real, however, so at least we know that he's thinking about the possibility of an upgraded Ico/SotC pack.

I'm an American, so the thought of being able to play Ico without the scanlines is giving me heart palpitations. Those lucky Europeans already had that luxury when playing at 60hz.

Massa

Fakto said:
Ueda has revealed that the ICO Collection topic may be a hot topic at an upcoming meeting with Sony.

Was this posted yet ?

EDIT: Ups, just saw that PS Lifestyle is banned, don't give it to much credit then.

I saw that on Kotaku as well so it's probably true.

Someone ought to make a thread about that stuff in general - we've got the God of War collection coming, and now both Ueda and Sucker Punch have expressed strong interest in doing the same thing with their own PS2 games. I'd be willing to bet there are other Sony first-party devs who are also quite interested in the idea - and maybe third parties too (KINGDOM HEARTS 1/2/CoM FINAL MIX HD IN ENGLISH PLZ) and it'd be great to hear more about the topic. If the God of War collection takes off, I'd love to hear more about what is entailed in the process of porting those games over so that we can figure out how tough it'd be to do the same thing for other franchises.

ScOULaris

Yes, I think an official HD Collection remake thread would be great. It could be a hub for requests like Ico/SotC Collection and other Sony properties that people want to see enhanced for the PS3. It would be a great way to organize our voices and let Sony know how strongly we support these ideas.

Amneisac

I'm super excited for this, really spent a lot of time yesterday reading up on it (loved SoTC) and then today it shows up in my Amazon gold box deals.

$48.44USD shipped after ECA discount!

It was meant to be.

theJwac

This game will likely be the reason I finally buy a PS3. Hopefully there is another pricedrop before it comes out. Seriously, it kind of sucks, there really isn't anything else on the PS3 I have even the slightest interest in playing so essentially I'll be just buying a $350 video game.

Cerberus said:

- He won't say if the boy or Trico is the Last Guardian. It's meant to be open to interpretation.
- Trico's tail is a major element of the game.
- Ueda watches films in languages he doesn't understand. He can get the message of the film through the acting, directing and the sets. He thinks that's it a purer enjoyment of films.
- Through Enemy Zero's development he learned that you don't always need background music and that sound can replace visuals.
- He's not interested in online multiplayer gaming anymore. He thinks that it's too time consuming and he just wants to focus on providing an emotional experience that doesn't take as much time.
- He says that he was a little disappointed in the framerate during the last battle in SoTC, and if it were possible he would've improved it. But he had to decide between art and framerate and he doesn't regret his decision.
- The connection between SoTC and ICO just happened but he's not sure if it's even possible for TLG's to connect to the previous because the story is so different.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
SolidSnakex said:
- He won't say if the boy or Trico is the Last Guardian. It's meant to be open to interpretation.

my money on the cat-bird monster , the lil boy will turn evil by the end of the game ( there is evil tattoo on his arm ) .

SolidSnakex said:
- Through Enemy Zero's development he learned that you don't always need background music and that sound can replace visuals.

Kenji Eno is a great game designer .

and man Ueda jump from CG animator to a team leader in SCEJ , Yoshida gambled hard on him and he trusted him ( Ueda was a noob ) with a team , and now we all happy.

SolidSnakex said:
- He's not interested in multiplayer gaming anymore. He thinks that it's too time consuming and he just wants to focus on providing an emotional experience that doesn't take as much time.

well he sure have balls to say that , other devs will just say " we like to do it , sure why not " even if they know it will effect the single player because they just scared of the publisher.

SolidSnakex said:
- The connection between SoTC and ICO just happened but he's not sure if it's even possible for TLG's to connect to the previous because the story is so different.

it's a trap , pure and simple , he fooled as with SOTC we thought it has no connection with ICO , till the very end of that game , also there is "toriko" in the Japanese title and hidden ICO in the english one.

zweifuss

I'm almost glad they aren't going to connect this one with the other two games. The thematic connection is enough, and the connection made at the end of SotC felt tacked on and too forced.

Re-posted from the October Pick Up thread:

Here's Fumito Ueda's autograph. He signed The Last Gaurdian page of Sony's TGS brochure.

e0pcgh.jpg

Here's a shot of the whole page. You can see my name in the upper left corner. Sorry for the shitty cell phone pics. This thing is fucking awesome. I'm gonna get it framed.

iqzc0g.jpg

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
glad you liked the interview.

Immediately after the cameras stopped he also mentioned he can't wait to check out Modern Warfare 2. for real.

NewBrof

I don't know if somebody noticed, yet. Can you imagine playing Ico or SotC and you get trophy popups...? That would totally destroy the beauty of those games. There where no trophies on the PS2... what now? How will The Guardian solve that problem? I don't want to get thrown out of the game world by a stupid message...

Do you think there will be an option in the game to prevent popups? Probably you have to switch them off globally in the XMB, right? Is this even possible? I was slighly annoyed when playing Flower...

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
NewBrof said:
I don't know if somebody noticed, yet. Can you imagine playing Ico or SotC and you get trophy popups...? That would totally destroy the beauty of those games. There where no trophies on the PS2... what now? How will The Guardian solve that problem? I don't want to get thrown out of the game world by a stupid message...

Do you think there will be an option in the game to prevent popups? Probably you have to switch them off globally in the XMB, right? Is this even possible? I was slighly annoyed when playing Flower...

I asked David Cage about trophies and Heavy Rain and he wasn't very happy about it.

Yep, work for GT, iamcool.

NewBrof said:
ophy popups...? Do you think there will be an option in the game to prevent popups? Probably you have to switch them off globally in the XMB, right? Is this even possible? I was slighly annoyed when playing Flower...

Probably not, I don't think i've heard Sony say anything about disabling trophy notifications. Although that should be something that can be done.

xir said:
Yep, work for GT, iamcool.

Did you guys get an interview with Kazunori Yamuachi? I know I remember a picture on the front of GT mentioning that you guys had movies of GT5 straight from Polyphony's studio.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
NewBrof said:

They should handle it like Linger in Shadows handles it. No trophy popups while you're playing, but they all become awarded after you quit to the main menu. Very clever system IMO, as you can just ignore them easily at that point if you want.

rhino4evr said:
so about that Uncharted 2 review...8.9? Really?

:lol
Gametrailers gave UC2 9.3...

NewBrof said:

I need to know, am I the only one who could not give a fuck less about little trophy popups? I will say without a shadow of doubt that SotC was my favourite ps2 game, would the beauty of the game have been destroyed if I got a little trophy popup everytime I defeated a Colossus? Fuck no. Find a better complaint to make.

NewBrof

well, don't you think it destroys the overall picture and atmosphere in the game? Ico and SotC were solitude experiences. No online popups, no trophies, no friends, nothing. Just you alone. Solitude, that is a very big theme in Uedas games.

So when you have trophy popups, it is like the dev is sitting behind you padding your shoulder, saying: good boy, well done.... that is totally bull. Does not make any sense.

of course, if you don't feel it, you don't feel it...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
igotnewsuper8 systemWRONG! said:
I need to know, am I the only one who could not give a fuck less about little trophy popups? I will say without a shadow of doubt that SotC was my favourite ps2 game, would the beauty of the game have been destroyed if I got a little trophy popup everytime I defeated a Colossus? Fuck no. Find a better complaint to make.
I agree with what NewBrof said above, but it's not the problem just with popups, I mean SotC has plenty of visual issues on it's own that can pull you out of experience. It's also about what to attribute trophies to. For example, would you want a trophy being attributed to each slain colossus? It would be weird as the trophy system would be then encouraging something that you are supposed to feel ambiguous about.

I really hope trophies in TLG, or any possible remake of Ico or SotC for that matter are only awarded to some side quest type of stuff, like killing lizards in SotC or riding across the map in certain amount of time, and stuff like that. I also really hope they do them like it's done in Linger in Shadows. Someone should tell Ueda and David Cage to look at it and figure out how it's done there.

theJwac said:
This game will likely be the reason I finally buy a PS3. Hopefully there is another pricedrop before it comes out. Seriously, it kind of sucks, there really isn't anything else on the PS3 I have even the slightest interest in playing so essentially I'll be just buying a $350 video game.
Looks at the Avatar......Hmmm okay.. I'm not even going to quote that ugly ass avatar of yours, is not worth it hovering my beautiful "Mouse" pointer over there.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Sorry to bump the thread, but remember that Dragonheart Theme TLG trailer I made? It was originally in much better quality. Now suddenly I view it today and the video quality is complete shit. What gives? Does YouTube automatically downscale the video quality after some time or what???

Top Bottom