• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Last Night" (Milkshake Duck incarnate) E3 Trailer [XBO/Win10/Steam 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foggy

Game looks amazing. Great to see it finally getting the spotlight after following it for years. Personally, I don't give a shit what his opinions are. I just want a really cool game. If you can't separate him from the game, that's fine, but killing this thread with all that discussion is a shame.

Nobody's killing the thread. He has shitty opinions and those shitty opinions are informing the games story in his own words. It's not confirmed because it hasn't been released yet, but we're still discussing how bullshit it would be. As far as we know, there is no separation between the art and the artist.

duckroll

Game looks amazing. Great to see it finally getting the spotlight after following it for years. Personally, I don't give a shit what his opinions are. I just want a really cool game. If you can't separate him from the game, that's fine, but killing this thread with all that discussion is a shame.

Yes, I agree. Let's separate the creator from the game. Let's talk about how insightful, deep, and worthwhile a game specifically made to express the dangers of "extreme" progressiveness and "modern feminism" can be. Let's also talk about the impact on public opinion when a game is promoted with hashtags specifically associated with a hate movement that empowered online harassment and sexism. The creator isn't important at all, let's talk about the game!

KmpDjSb.png

Beyond any of his stupid personal politics, this makes the game sound dumb as fuck.

giphy.gif

yikes...

Alucrid

Banned
Probably why I didn't say that either.

I'm saying those who had interest that now suddenly don't because the premise surrounds a view they might disagree with (and likely don't even fully understand how they do, especially considering they don't even know the story) is extreme and over-the-top, and overly sensitive.

Flipping out over tweets? I mean seriously, overreactions and simplifications like this are so pointless, childish and just perpetuate problems.

you can't see why a story that sounds like it's essentially proselytizing gamergate's ethos would be an immediate turn off to someone?

GavinUK86

The game prominently features his views. How do we separate?

That's not what I get from the trailer and reading the Steam store page description and that's all I care about.

Yes, I agree. Let's separate the creator from the game. Let's talk about how insightful, deep, and worthwhile a game specifically made to express the dangers of "extreme" progressiveness and "modern feminism" can be. Let's also talk about the impact on public opinion when a game is promoted with hashtags specifically associated with a hate movement that empowered online harassment and sexism. The creator isn't important at all, let's talk about the game!

Okay fine, fine. I won't shit up the thread with my own comments then.

ladies

why do you want to castrate me? I was a supporter, but if feminism will cause a dystopia because you want equality, I'll take my fedora and katana elsewhere.

You don't know what you're missing out on.

For what I hope will have to be the last time, the game is a narrative driven game in a genre all about science and social commentary and the draw of the game is the narrative which he already revealed would be a dystonia of his shitty beliefs!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Flipping out over tweets? I mean seriously, overreactions and simplifications like this are so pointless, childish and just perpetuate problems.

Excellent analysis. Also, have you ever realized how the real intolerant people are the ones who won't tolerate racism? Really makes you think.

This game looks amazing to me. The aesthetics of it are what I always wanted to see with a retro style game made with current tech. Pixel style graphics with wonderful lighting, colors popping everywhere, and a world seemingly filled with little details.

One of the most impressive games from the Xbox conference for me.

Edit...I did not know the creator had those kinds of beliefs that others mentioned earlier in the thread. That is extremely disappointing...

WonderzL

Banned

I'm saying those who had interest that now suddenly don't because the premise surrounds a view they might disagree with (and likely don't even fully understand how they do, especially considering they don't even know the story) is extreme and over-the-top, and overly sensitive.

Tweets regarding an anti-feminist agenda that are the core of the plot of the game is NOT an overreaction. Feminism is an important social movement that fights for a real cause. This guy's views are anti-progressive, misogynistic and should be completely questioned as an art form

Even if this game ends up good, there are too many great games these days to support a creator whose views I find fundamentally wrong. Pass.

If a tweet is something insanely stupid, why would someone not flip out over it?

If he said it to my face would I be able to flip out then or what, please tell me the rules on what people are allowed to flip out on based on the delivery method of the message.

FLAguy954

I held the same stance as you until it has been discovered that he literally is projecting his shitty politics into the narrative of the fucking game.

He is using this game to spread his views, views I don't agree with at all.

If he were to make a story that had nothing to do with his shitty politics then this discussion would have gone in a totally different (and possibly more positive) direction.

Timeaisis

I can separate creator opinion from work easy...Unless said work is built fundamentally on a premise I find awful.

That's the case here.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Not a fan of his views, but if the game is interesting or good ill pick it up.

I mean I've bought books by Robert heinlein and watched starship troopers.

Still shocking that people still think like this dude. Sucks because I've following all his cool behind the scenes stuff on this game.

KmpDjSb.png

Beyond any of his stupid personal politics, this makes the game sound dumb as fuck.
I'm not one to boycot something just because one guy behind it has shitty opinions but if it's actually involved in the game then I'm fucking out. I'm assuming it's still good though because I doubt Microsoft would advertise something so offensive.

big fake

I didn't see the entirety of the situation. Shit I can't believe I shit posted like the posts I hate. Life comes at you fast. Sorry about it guys.

PS: I admit my fault, but a mod pointing out a ban for intimidation is kinda shitty.

I got such a hard Flashback x Snatcher vibe from it, and the pixel work was so much modern, baroque goodness. I'll definitely remember this one.

StoveOven

Banned

I'm not losing interest because the premise surrounds a view I don't agree with but because the premise sounds fucking stupid, is based on a completely warped sense of reality, and based on the what the guy wrote probably won't have a lot of nuance. This adds a level of morbid curiosity for me personally to see just how bad it can be, but nobody not wanting to support this guy or play his game is being "overly sensitive". They're just making what they think is the right moral choice, and it's hard to blame them based on the absolutely awful and idiotic things the man has said.

Also funny that in their criticism of modern feminism you play as a male instead of a misaligned female. Like it could not be any more transparent.

ladies

why do you want to castrate me? I was a supporter, but if feminism will cause a dystopia because you want equality, I'll take my fedora and katana elsewhere.

You don't know what you're missing out on.

I am Andrew Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to the rewards of the patriarchy? "No," says the scientist on television, "it belongs to everyone." "No," says the mods in the NeoGAF, "it belongs to everyone." "No," says the man for equality, "it belongs to everyone." I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... The Last Night. A game where the artist would not fear the censor; where the genders would not be bound by petty science; where the men would not be constrained by the feminists! And with the sweat of your brow, The Last Night can become your game as well.

Your post is incredibly reductive of the situation. Firstly, you deride "flipping out" over tweets, as if tweets are, as a rule, always innocuous. Secondly, we do know the premise, and we do know his views, and we do know that his views inform his premise. He's an anti-feminist egalitarian making a game that is about how feminism destroyed the world by erasing genders. If a game was about how the Civil Rights Movement lead to white genocide, why would it be childish to not want to play that, even if other aspects of the game looked good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom