• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Last Night" (Milkshake Duck incarnate) E3 Trailer [XBO/Win10/Steam 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeMilk

Neo Member
Is there anything that points to the story reflecting his ideology aside from that tweet?

How many people worked on the development? Do they all share his backwards beliefs?

Makai

Originally I interpreted this to mean that the overarching theme of the work is that "being human isn't about having A Predefined Purpose... but rather it's about Experiences and The Friends You Make" and how even if AI might be superior in their craftsmanship we can still explore our existence, only now without the burden of the lowest tier of Maslow's heirarchy of needs. That the joy of creation is not for the sake of status games or to acquire food through monetary transactions, but rather that the joy of creation is the expression of the ephemeral feedback loop of humanity and the world that enshrouds us. Maybe the villains would be nihilists who cause chaos because they are not equipped to deal with a world where extrinsic motivation is blunted, something to that effect.

But after seeing the proposed themes for this game, I'm thinking it's going to be more of the trite take that we are Nothing without the Fight For Survival. Except I'm not allowed to compete too hard, because if I develop truly effective machine learning algorithms I'll ruin everything for everyone else.
There's a hedonist in a bathtub in the trailer

akira28

So I quoted Notch's tweet where he called Zoe a cunt, just to make sure everyone who follows me knows the kind of person he is and got an almost instant reply tweet from him with nothing but an eye emoji.

What does that mean?

what does that eyeball that you spin around in Mario 64 mean?

You most likely support people and organizations everyday who counter your views on right or wrong... I'm interested if the game is good or bad, not one tweet.

If it's a hill he chooses to die on and wants to shove his BS in my face, that's another thing.

It's already more than "one tweet".

Opto

Banned
aaaaand rightfully calling out the developer's GG ties has now led to Notch calling Zoe Quinn a cunt, and then doubling down on it.

MattAces

You most likely support people and organizations everyday who counter your views on right or wrong... I'm interested if the game is good or bad, not one tweet.

If it's a hill he chooses to die on and wants to shove his BS in my face, that's another thing.

There's a difference between supporting it silently, keeping quiet and supporting it publicly, making a point about it, making it the story of the game.

Alo0oy

Banned
Gamers should start petitioning cancellations of projects like this, instead of the dumb petition that happened earlier.

So I quoted Notch's tweet where he called Zoe a cunt, just to make sure everyone who follows me knows the kind of person he is and got an almost instant reply tweet from him with nothing but an eye emoji.

What does that mean?

Did he quote you

That means he's trying to sic his followers on you.

He has done that to me a few times.

ymgve

sqzMit9.png

Opto

Banned

What does that mean?

"I'm not owned, you're the owned one! I'm a millionaire but still nothing makes me happy"

What until he showed his true colors? His true colors have been out there for years. This just suggests to me they didn't vet this guy at all because it's clearly not hard to find his opinions; and if they didn't vet him at all, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they didn't vet the story of the game either.

It's not hard to find his opinions now, because they're all over the internet. But people here at GAF have been pimping this game for a long time, it's how I found out about it...which mod was it saying they were disappointed here, More_Badass I think? We all had 3 years to find this stuff out and no one did. MS could've found him amiable in person and didn't bother to read several years of his twitter posts, like none of us did either.

mortal

Gold Member
I am genuinely intrigued by the controversial premise of the game. I certainly understand why some would find it unpleasant or offensive, but we tend to forget that video games are a creative medium for personal expression just as much as they are a product. That expression can stem anywhere from spiritual beliefs, philosophy, and yes even ethical and political ideologies.

All of these forms of expression are permittable in film, music, literature, visual art. Video games should be no exception. The beauty is that as a consumer/audience you are free to engage or criticize the art if it doesn't align with your views.

The argument and counterarguments ideally should be in the language of the respective medium.

Khezu

I was going to be nicer, but since the dev is a piece of shit I'll just be blunt, game looks like hot ass.
Cool artstyle alone can only take you so far.
The mechanics are why games like out of this world and Flashback were interesting.
But maybe there is more to this game I haven't seen, don't know, but since the dev can fuck off, I'll never bother to find out.

Doesn't matter what explanation he gives, or the "stance" he reveals. The matter in which he has conducted himself up until now has been destructive, and has surely empowered people with less tasteful "stances." I don't care what he meant, or what he says, it's unacceptable to talk shit about fucking feminism. You can talk about people, or behaviors, or whatever, but actually calling out feminism is ridiculous and embarrassing.

I am genuinely intrigued by the controversial premise of the game. I certainly understand why some would find it unpleasant or offensive, but we tend to forget that video games are a creative medium for personal expression just as much as they are a product. That expression can stem anywhere from spiritual beliefs, philosophy, and yes even political ideologies.

All of these forms of expression are permittable in film, music, literature, visual art. Video games should be no exception. The beauty is that as a consumer/audience you are free to engage or criticize the art if it doesn't align with your views.

feminism shouldn't be a partisan issue tho

Dmax3901

You're on the list

Did he quote you

That means he's trying to sic his followers on you.

He has done that to me a few times.

"I'm not owned, you're the owned one! I'm a millionaire but still nothing makes me happy"

He has enough money to make you disappear, but luckily for you shouting over the internet at abuse victims for not forgiving their abusers takes up all of his time now.

Oh good.

Ekai

Given the game's plot is literally focused around shoving this shit in our faces, yea.

And it's not just "one tweet", it's the devs whole view on life itself. His view on women, minorities, on who can even be welcome in the gaming community, etc. etc.

I like how this guy being a jackass is also Zoe's fault somehow. But like she just said, she's a stand in for every woman a nerd has been angry at, ever.

I was thinking the aim would be to express that "bisexuality isn't a real gender/sexual orientation" with the justification that "bisexuality only exists due to gender confusion born from feminism".

On one hand, it'd be unbelievably tone deaf since he did bring up his bisexual main character in a paragraph about how he totally for real for real supports strong female roles in gaming and wants to subvert cliches and offer diversity. I'm not really buying into this given his participation in GamerGate, but I can't imagine him touting his bisexual main character as evidence of how tolerant he is if that's the message he's going for. Just seems unbelievable.

On the other hand, he's also on the record saying one of the key themes of his game is "feminism erasing genders", and I don't think he's talking about bi-erasure. Not sure how else that theme would be expressed.
Regarding paragraph 2, it's as if he's using us as his shield. Let me collect my jaw...

The "feminism erasing genders" theme means there's no hope of the character's bisexuality being covered properly.

Eylos

Banned
I am genuinely intrigued by the controversial premise of the game. I certainly understand why some would find it unpleasant or offensive, but we tend to forget that video games are a creative medium for personal expression just as much as they are a product. That expression can stem anywhere from spiritual beliefs, philosophy, and yes even ethical and political ideologies.

Racism, misogyny, antisemitism, any kind of hate speech should not be accepted as political opinion

If you want to play devil's advocate be my guest, but it's pretty boring when your only argument is "b-b-but You don't know that for sure"

I'm not playing devil's advocate. I'm not advocating in favor of the game or the person who made it, I have stated multiple times that his beliefs are easily grounds enough to boycott the game.

I just don't like misinformation and the spread of (actual) fake news.

What we have is an old source of information and a newer one. Neither one necessarily disproves the other, but suffice to say we only know what he said he wanted his game to be about, back when he was starting work on it. We also know that if anyone had vetted this game and found it to have the themes he was talking about, it probably wouldn't have been given such prominence on stage. So either MS is incompetent, or the focus of the game shifted at some point in development, which happens all the time in the indie space.

Bahorel

The argument and counterarguments ideally should be in the language of the respective medium.

Buying this = supporting this man and his beliefs. Don't give this man money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom