• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Last Night" (Milkshake Duck incarnate) E3 Trailer [XBO/Win10/Steam 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get what that has to do with the quality of a videogame.
Okay man we get that you're excited for the game and we're just "obviously" overreacting.

Either stop trying to get in fights with other members by replying to them or just keep to yourself in this thread.

You're continuously digging a hole here.

Wereroku

Changed from what? The story on the public-facing Steam page that makes no mention of feminism?

Really dude? You even mentioned the tweets where he stated the game is about out of control feminism and PC culture saying it might have changed. Instead the writer of the game chose to leave the thread instead of saying the game is no longer about that plot. You really think it has changed to not be anti feminist GG garbage?

Probably someone's burner alt account so don't sweat too much.

With Bish gone and the post made in the OT a week or so ago in the NYT thread about the left eating itself, I've seen a lot more of these types of posts crop up without penalty since there's no name calling or outright hatred, just "question asking" and the like (and the way some mods say "well, no one reported it yet" to similar comments makes it sound like users have to take a proactive approach now). So, who knows. Wish we could ever get clarification on policies and the like, and I'm not even sure if it is ok to post this part since I don't know if that counts as backseat modding or anything.

Back on the subject at hand, do we know much about the publishing of the game? I know that person from Microsoft tweeted at the developer, but is it just speculation that it might be/was published by Microsoft?

DCFGwK9UIAES2nr.jpg

It just keeps getting better.

Iksenpets

Banned
Given that a rep. from Microsoft literally responded to his tweet recently where he claims "he supports equality" asking for more clarification, it's looking more likely that they had no clue what they signed on. Willing to bet damage control will arise and that his contract with Microsoft might come to an end.

MS is going to have to make some kind of response on this — there's no way they're not going to get asked in the coming days — and if that response is anything other than "fuck that guy, we're canceling our agreement with him" they're going to face some pretty nasty consequences. I won't pretend that decent people can mount enough of a boycott to this thing to counteract the guaranteed conservative campaign of buying the shit out of it, but developer relations will spur badly if people no longer want to associate themselves with MS' publishing arm.

I'm honestly shocked their vetting for partnerships is so light. They should have known. They're going to have to revamp a lot of procedures in light of this.

I'm actually only interested in whether the gameplay will be good.

I know it's hard to believe about people caring about gameplay. But yea.

Oh please. It's not like there is a whole lot of gameplay in the trailer. It got buzz mostly due to its art direction. And just like people could get interested in a game for something other than gameplay (its graphic and artstyle), people could also get disinterested for something other than gameplay (its plot and theme).

I mean, this is your post here:

I came here because an E3 trailer looked cool and his excerpts gave me a laugh from another thread.

Fjordson

I'm actually only interested in whether the gameplay will be good.

I know it's hard to believe about people caring about gameplay. But yea.
Some people care about gameplay and story.

And when a game bills itself as a "cinematic platformer" it makes it sort of difficult to not be concerned about the story. Hence the disappointment that the plot sounds like a mess informed by the creator's awful views.

Dmax3901

So I quoted Notch's tweet where he called Zoe a cunt, just to make sure everyone who follows me knows the kind of person he is and got an almost instant reply tweet from him with nothing but an eye emoji.

What does that mean?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Honestly, this is actually sad for me. The art style is amazing but...yikes. Can scum just pass on their talent to nicer people? =P

It's irrelevant whether the premise of the game has changed or not when the dev hasn't changed.

Sure it's irrelevant if you want to boycott this game now, but people keep saying definitively that "the game's story is about this." We don't know that, and current marketing material for the game doesn't indicate that it's still about that. Presumably MS wouldn't have shown off a game that was actively anti-feminist.

Hate the game, but for the right reasons, and without misinformation.

I mean I'm seeing posts now saying the creator is racist and a Trump supporter too. He's French. Maybe at some point he posted in support of Trump but I haven't seen that particular tweet.

Eh, not really. The art style is phenomenal. I'm also morbidly curious just how fucking dumb he makes the story in this thing.

But yeah you can appreciate art that doesn't agree with you, even made by monsters or worse. It does get questionable if the money you're giving them to experience said art is going to harm others. In such a case, you might want to consider cross donating to like Planned Parenthood or something a similar amount.

Exactly. My opinions are very liberal and clearly disagree with the director's tweets but people should wait until the game is out and then critique it. For now, I was just really impressed by the visual style.

GamerJM

Banned
I thought this game looked cool in the trailer....but yeah fuck this guy, GamerGate, and what this game supposedly stands for.

So I quoted Notch's tweet where he called Zoe a cunt, just to make sure everyone who follows me knows the kind of person he is and got an almost instant reply tweet from him with nothing but an eye emoji.

What does that mean?

That he is looking at whatever you say from now on too or something.

The context of the tweets with the Microsoft rep was concerning the creator's own screwed up beliefs/politics, not the ones contained within the game. They could've easily known what the game was about, but not the sort of guy behind it, until he showed his true colors.

What until he showed his true colors? His true colors have been out there for years. This just suggests to me they didn't vet this guy at all because it's clearly not hard to find his opinions; and if they didn't vet him at all, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they didn't vet the story of the game either.

besada

Banned
Unfortunate, because this game really looked good to me. I saw it on the E3 live thing and commented that it reminded me of Another World/Out of This World -- high praise.

But I don't give money to people who publicly support hate groups. Bummer.

Sure it's irrelevant if you want to boycott this game now, but people keep saying definitively that "the game's story is about this." We don't know that, and current marketing material for the game doesn't indicate that it's still about that. Presumably MS wouldn't have shown off a game that was actively anti-feminist.

I mean I'm seeing posts now saying the creator is racist and a Trump supporter too. He's French. Maybe at some point he posted in support of Trump but I haven't seen that particular tweet.
If you want to play devil's advocate be my guest, but it's pretty boring when your only argument is "b-b-but You don't know that for sure"

Wereroku

Again man we had the writer of the game in the thread and instead of staying and clearing everything up he left and put up a tweet about ignoring the haters. The story hasn't changed or else we would have heard something from anyone involved.

Primus

Provided, of course, the devs have shown off more of the game to MS than what we've seen. What if they haven't? What if the only thing MS has to go on right now is that trailer?

You're assuming MS knows everything about this game. What if they don't?

Wereroku

Provided, of course, the devs have shown off more of the game to MS than what we've seen. What if they haven't? What if the only thing MS has to go on right now is that trailer?

I'm going to assume they don't since I doubt this would have passed any level of oversight.

Fat4all

Banned
Unfortunate, because this game really looked good to me. I saw it on the E3 live thing and commented that it reminded me of Another World/Out of This World -- high praise.

But I don't give money to people who publicly support hate groups. Bummer.

p much this

Ghazi

I don't know enough about the games industry to make a confident guess at this, but I think the chances that MS would give it marketing and pay for console launch exclusivity seem slim without having a good idea of what the game is and they have most likely seen quite a bit more of the game than we have.

ymgve

I would hope MS have at least demanded to see a working vertical slice or something. If not, you could totally trick MS with a very well produced rendered video.

One person called him racist based on stuff they had read on a now deleted forum (that the creator supposedly operated) and I can't find a single post calling him a Trump supporter, so I think you may be a wee bit exaggerating.

Sianos

An amazing looking game with a uncommon and interesting plot.
This game is going to be cool.

The Last Night is what we call post-cyberpunk – it’s not the kind of dystopia the genre is famous for, rather it depicts an alternate direction for society. One where the fight for survival doesn’t mean food and water, but a purpose for living. Human labour and creativity has been rendered obsolete by AI, so people are now defining themselves by what they consume, not what they create.

Originally I interpreted this to mean that the overarching theme of the work is that "being human isn't about having A Predefined Purpose... but rather it's about Experiences and The Friends You Make" and how even if AI might be superior in their craftsmanship we can still explore our existence, only now without the burden of the lowest tier of Maslow's heirarchy of needs. That the joy of creation is not for the sake of status games or to acquire food through monetary transactions, but rather that the joy of creation is the expression of the ephemeral feedback loop of humanity and the world that enshrouds us. Maybe the villains would be nihilists who cause chaos because they are not equipped to deal with a world where extrinsic motivation is blunted, something to that effect.

But after seeing the proposed themes for this game, I'm thinking it's going to be more of the trite take that we are Nothing without the Fight For Survival. Except I'm not allowed to compete too hard, because if I develop truly effective machine learning algorithms I'll ruin everything for everyone else.

Again man we had the writer of the game in the thread and instead of staying and clearing everything up he left and put up a tweet about ignoring the haters. The story hasn't changed or else we would have heard something from anyone involved.

Why would the writer need to say it changed? It's being represented right now as being about consumption/gamification vs. human creativity. As far as public-facing marketing is concerned, it was never about what he had tweeted. The writer didn't need to say it changed because you were always free to look it up online, on current, updated sites, and read a summary for yourself.

Of course it could end up being about everything he said he wanted it to be back then. That'd be a pretty shady twist, though, considering that's not what it claims to be about.

Again, not that it matters, since the creator's views are enough to boycott anyway. I just think people need to hate for the right reasons and not jump to conclusions.

Bahorel

One person called him racist based on stuff they had read on a now deleted forum (that the creator supposedly operated) and I can't find a single post calling him a Trump supporter, so I think you may be a wee bit exaggerating.

I used the phrase "Trumpster mindset" , perhaps someone extrapolated

How many ppl is working in this game? Is just the gamergater alone?

According to one of his own posts on another forum, 6 people working on the game as of 3 years ago.

The marketing material isn't going to talk about the actual message in the game. He stated the intended message of the game multiple times on his twitter previously though and, given that as of 3 years ago there were 6 members on the team, and it's an indie studio.. I don't know how likely it is that his team has grown astronomically since then or that he's completely scrapped the entire concept of his game in the meantime while still espousing the same personal views.

There's just no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt on this. Shit, even his response today (that he never finished) doesn't take the tone of someone who has had a change of heart on his views. And the Writer/Producer who was in the thread earlier, promptly exited once this stuff started heating up here and even "liked" a twitter post calling the outrage "salt."

It's on the Dev Team to prove to the consumers that the story is no longer about these shitty views. It's not on us to give them any kind of benefit of the doubt (which, btw, would require us giving them our money to find out).

starmud

You most likely support people and organizations everyday who counter your views on right or wrong... I'm interested if the game is good or bad, not one tweet.

If it's a hill he chooses to die on and wants to shove his BS in my face, that's another thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom