• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Last Night" (Milkshake Duck incarnate) E3 Trailer [XBO/Win10/Steam 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I am genuinely intrigued by the controversial premise of the game. I certainly understand why some would find it unpleasant or offensive, but we tend to forget that video games are a creative medium for personal expression just as much as they are a product. That expression can stem anywhere from spiritual beliefs, philosophy, and yes even ethical and political ideologies.

All of these forms of expression are permittable in film, music, literature, visual art. Video games should be no exception. The beauty is that as a consumer/audience you are free to engage or criticize the art if it doesn't align with your views.

The argument and counterarguments ideally should be in the language of the respective medium.
He can make anything he likes, based on whatever perspective he holds. And everyone maintains the right to tell him to fuck off for his shitty perspective and refuse to give his game the time of day.

I am genuinely intrigued by the controversial premise of the game. I certainly understand why some would find it unpleasant or offensive, but we tend to forget that video games are a creative medium for personal expression just as much as they are a product. That expression can stem anywhere from spiritual beliefs, philosophy, and yes even ethical and political ideologies.

All of these forms of expression are permittable in film, music, literature, visual art. Video games should be no exception. The beauty is that as a consumer/audience you are free to engage or criticize the art if it doesn't align with your views.

The argument and counterarguments ideally should be in the language of the respective medium.

1) What do you think is being done here?

2) What? Are you suggesting that someone else should make a counter-game about how feminism doesn't result in a future dystopia?

You're absolutely right, but other art forms allow for people to heavily criticize said beliefs, whereas in the world of video games, people get really defensive and surround the wagons behind terrible people when criticism gets leveled. It's why a lot of GamerGate happened in-part because someone dared to make a video game series outlining the awful things in video games with a very basic critical eye, and people flipped out.

This selective "games are art and should be treated as art except when they are criticized for being misogyny, sexist, racist, or whatever" is a major problem. And, I don't think many people in this thread are saying the game shouldn't exist at all. It's just a lot don't want to financially support terrible viewpoints and have them spread even farther.

And, personally, it's also a bit frustrating to keep seeing some people use the "separate the art from the artist" as an excuse to financially contribute to hateful viewpoints and simultaneously abandon all responsibility for doing so.

mortal

Gold Member
feminism shouldn't be a partisan issue tho

Exactly the issue here, it's not a partisan issue. This a game designed by a person with a certain world view. It's his game.

You're not obligated to support it in any type of way. You can ignore it, you can tell your friends not to purchase it. My only argument is that regardless if there are people that find the concept or premise offensive, the game exists because of personal expression. Video games are the creative medium.

kvetcha

Banned
And, personally, it's also a bit frustrating to keep seeing some people use the "separate the art from the artist" as an excuse to financially contribute to hateful viewpoints and simultaneously abandon all responsibility for doing so.

I guess that's a fair point. Call me a pessimist; my implicit assumption is that I'm probably financially contributing to hateful viewpoints either way. The only difference is whether I'm conscious of it when I slap down my woolongs.

Opto

Banned
Exactly the issue here, it's not a partisan issue. This a game designed by a person with a certain world view. It's his game.

You're not obligated to support it in any type of way. You can ignore it, you can tell your friends not to purchase it. My only argument is that regardless if there are people that find the concept or premise offensive, the game exists because of personal expression. Video games are the creative medium.
It is a video game that exists/will exist. Yes you are right. I don't understand your point

Opa-Pa

Went from lamenting this wasn't launching on PS4 to laughing my ass off at the game's author. What curious people the internet has created.

Also not surprised in the slightest at the apologists here, we've seen this dynamic so many times already.

SaiyanRaoh

Sorry guys, Guess I have no ethics and I'm probably part of the problem. But I'm not passing up a game like this because of an (fucked up) opinion. It's rare to see games like this these days without Co-op or multiplayer crammed down my throat. And a cyberpunk adventure at that! I know we know nothing about this game but I don't feel the "social" stench we are getting in games these days with this one.

Opto

Banned
Oh man, and I was looking forward to a new cyberpunk game :(

Fuck this dude and his views.

Cyberpunk 2077 will eventually happen. If you haven't checked out 2064: Read Only Memories, give it a go. It's pretty much the polar opposite of whatever terrible screed Last Night turns into

Gbraga

He updated his twitter:

1bOz8dZ.png

Hopefully he can explain himself somewhere that gives him more words to do so.

Sianos

There's a hedonist in a bathtub in the trailer

Okay I was distracted by all the pretty pixel art happening and just assumed without thinking too hard about it that he was a rando bad guy in this Another World adventure -
maybe a Corrupt Mob Boss who was profiting off of the bad sort of dystopian happenings or something equally trope-y.

I was definitely projecting onto this game before finding out the lead developer was involved in Gamergate and was planning to write about some unfortunate themes. Look at those AESTHETICS, the game must clearly be focused on environmental storytelling that aligns with my own beliefs!

[and then milkshake duck]

Other thing I've noticed after paying closer attention to the plot outline: if AI have owned humanity so hard we don't really want to make things any more, what is the delimiter for social classes in a post-scarcity world? Maybe it could have been something poignant about how racism persists even after economic anxiety is eliminated because of tribalistic roots, and how humanity can work to overcome our beginnings? But now I'm just expecting another trite take, like something about ideological conformity.

Fjordson

Sorry guys, Guess I have no ethics. I'm not passing up a game like this because of an opinion. It's rare to see games like this these days without Co-op or multiplayer crammed down my throat. And a cyberpunk adventure at that! I know we know nothing about this game but I don't feel the "social" stench we are getting in games these days with this one.
If said opinion informs the plot at the center of the game then it gets a bit difficult to ignore.

The one thing I'm hopeful of is that those old tweets are outdated and that the focus of the game has shifted dramatically away from all that nonsense.

Dr.Acula

Banned
DCFGwK9UIAES2nr.jpg

It just keeps getting better.

Who the heck is Vivian James?

DWSvYUg.png

Vivian James is the fictional everywoman of gaming. She wears a striped hoodie and drinks Mountain Dew Throwback. Her name is a play on “vidya games.” She’s a regular person who wears jeans and spends too much time on the internet. And she was created out of spite by the historically anti-feminist gamers of 4chan.

O...M...G...

That's enough Internet for tonite, lol.

Opa-Pa

He updated his twitter:

1bOz8dZ.png

Interesting.

So this started as the original concept people have been (rightly) mocking but the project has done a 180 since then? Cool if so.

Terrell

He updated his twitter:

1bOz8dZ.png

He's going to have to spell this out for us in great detail, since he's had over 2 years to pull back this curtain and decided not to until his allegedly-past views were found out. Never mind that the people who surround him, like his lead writer, have very recently seemed to take a dismissive stance on people's concerns over the proposed content.

Moppeh

Banned
He's going to have to spell this out for us in great detail, since he's had over 2 years to pull back this curtain and decided not to until his allegedly-past views were found out. Never mind that the people who surround him, like his lead writer, have very recently seemed to take a dismissive stance on people's concerns over the proposed content.

Yep

Presumably, when he says "a lot of things changed over the years", he means "in the last two months, since that Bill Nye tweet".

Yeah, I'd like to see how he squares out that hole.

This too.

Sorry guys, Guess I have no ethics and I'm probably part of the problem. But I'm not passing up a game like this because of an (fucked up) opinion. It's rare to see games like this these days without Co-op or multiplayer crammed down my throat. And a cyberpunk adventure at that! I know we know nothing about this game but I don't feel the "social" stench we are getting in games these days with this one.

It being a cyberpunk adventure makes it worse, because adventure games are generally plot-centric and the cyberpunk genre is by nature social commentaries.

What? People are not required to announce any changes in their political beliefs.

I think they're alluding to the fact that there were 3 hours between the first point and the second point.

Zomba13

Well this is a slap in the face. The game looked cool (and has done for a while) but I never knew about the developer and his views and how they would be incorporated into the game.

I mean, I'm all for trying to separate the art from the artist but with me a lot of that happens when I like and enjoy a thing before knowing about the creator of the thing being bad so finding out now sucks. Though if his views are shown through the game then I guess it would be obvious playing it and mentioned in reviews and previews closer to release so it was best to rip this band-aid off sooner than later.

I really doubt the whole "a lot has changed" when people only seem to be finding evidence of his bad views and not any of him actually having changed.

FUME5

Universal basic income is the big bad, not feminism!

He's going to have a hard time walking back from those tweets either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom