• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I |OT| You know Ellie, we really are worth 70 dollars

kyliethicc

Game is beautiful. High poly, sharp, and great HDR & post effects.

My 4K PNG screenshots are like 10-20 MB each lol.

Idk how to upload them, had to covert em to jpegs. Shame.

Performance mode btw.

vwsR5GT.jpg

KgnumKt.jpg

50CInn0.jpg

wVkm7uE.jpg

bfSf7q6.jpg

pLoMCOW.jpg

fvtQTK5.jpg

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

Few thoughts so far.

Positives:

•yeah, no doubt the game’s a looker. It’s wonderful to see the original up there in parity with the sequel. The cinematics take on a whole new gravitas with this degree of fidelity. That opening, oof.

•the overall game feel is much smoother and cohesive in moment to moment gameplay. It’s a pleasure to play.

•the AI is quite a bit better than I was expecting, both for the enemies and allies, based on the early footage leaks. Enemies feel to be more cautious and strategic, and allies hide and utilize cover more. Still the stupid moment here and there, but it helps with the immersion.

•I’m especially pleasantly surprised by the audio. The whole world feels far more alive and dynamic, and I’m also noticing a few new spoken lines that I don’t recall, both from allies and enemies. Could be I missed them in all my previous playthroughs, but that would be about 20+, so doubtful.

•the accessibility options make this much more enjoyable to play. Auto p/u is a godsend.

•they fixed the gamma issue from the remaster that occurred when leaving the QZ and traveling into the dilapidated buildings.

Some negatives:

•model and asset inconsistencies. Expected I suppose and mostly minor quibbles, but legacy is noticeable at points.

•while the combat is still enjoyable (especially given the AI and sound improvements), this was a missed opportunity. They really could’ve amped it up more to II’s level and it’s a shame they didn’t. Pretty amazing how relatively untouched it is considering the very hard work that went into the presentation.

•giraffe Ellie.

All in all though, I’m loving this so far.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Fidelity mode = best looking PS5 game full stop. I'm playing in Performance mode, still looks much more detailed than TLOU2 but it's the technical upgrade to the presentation that's most impressive IMO.

The game seems FREE*) from the no.1 issue of Part 2 visuals, being a rather obnoxious pop-in and LOD swaps, very noticeable at 60 fps.

Clearly, same engine so the problem is still there but the improvement is massive - up till this point of the game (just got to Bill's Town) I've noticed 2 small cases of a visible LOD swap and one little culling error (bug?) in far distance - other than that, all objects in the field of view remain almost perfectly* consistent!
*) Edit: end of Pittsburg. I had some hiccups (got clips may post later) but very few in terms of geometry spawning/despawning in view, some weird baked high/low LOD shadow fades... but overall the point stands - does a much better job real time streaming assets than TLOU2. I would expect this issue to be eradicated eventually on PS5 ... not yet.

Also, I haven't seen a fight where a dead enemy body would get despawned when killed, all the mess you're making looks permanent in every scene when doing some room backtracking.
Edit1: nope, they still do in larger areas :(
Edit2: despawn threshold is at around 8 or 9 bodies. Disappointing but looks like it's something we need to accept from this engine.

We'll see how things go deeper into the game, so far I'm very impressed by the presentation and those often overlooked hello Digital Foundry contributing factors.

Last edited:
I live in Europe (Portugal) and I'm about to go to work...and now I regret coming here. This is gonna be a long day for me and only then I will be picking up my physical copy.

Seems like the game is truly a masterpiece, holy shit!

edit: someone reminded me about the basement level. now i'm good to wait a few hours to start this again. I can't imagine doign that with this graphical fidelity, lmao.

Last edited:

GooseMan69

Played for a few hours. As someone who was initially skeptical, I’m blown away by this remake. Beyond the obvious graphical upgrade, the improved AI really transforms this game. It was the most glaring weakness of the original, and it’s been alleviated here.

Is it worth $70? Idk, but anybody trying to downplay the monumental upgrade here is talking out their ass and probably hasn’t played the game.

Last edited:
Oh fucking hell, it's 11am in my country and got a text saying i can go get my copy.
Fuck this, i'll just go there and be back to work...it's half an hour and i can do it, lmao.

Then i'll just...you know...work for 6 more hours and pretend the game isn't right there next to me. Easy.

Last edited:

shubik

Oh fucking hell, it's 11am in my country and got a text saying i can go get my copy.
Fuck this, i'll just go there and be back to work...it's half an hour and i can do it, lmao.

Then i'll just...you know...work for 6 more hours and pretend the game isn't right there next to me. Easy.

Just tell your work you got the sniffles and you are out getting a covid test.

Laieon

Sold out 12:01 AM for me, before the "add to cart" button even showed up. I refreshed like every 5 seconds too. Why the fuck would they restock so little copies? Why wasn't there an invitation or sign-up system for PS Plus subscribers to bypass bots? Whoever was in charge of this shit needs a new job. The special edition was my only incentive to buy this game 'Day 1' as I've already beaten it on PS3 and PS4. I'm definitely not purchasing a standard edition until it's on a deep sale. Their loss...
Yeah, I didn't get the add to cart button either. It ended up throwing me into some queue to buy a PS5 though. Absolute shit system Sony has.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
There were screenshots leaked that showed Joel holding the assault rifle, early on in the game, but I’m looking into New Game Plus and it sounds like weapons still don’t carry over.

Anyone know what that’s about?

Hugare

It seems you are not playing the game just regurgitating what someone else said.

I am at a maintenance window with a customer and as soon as I am done I am hopping in.
"Regurgitating what someone else said". As if I was quoting some random user's opinion and not channels with professionals that have been doing this for years.

And I'm playing the game, you believe it or not.

Models are the same quality? I think it looks better not just because of 4k or 1440p.
Same quality in model viewer mode maybe. But in game clearly part 1 looks better.

... As I said on the exact post that you are quoting: this image doesnt work because on the left you have native 1440p, and 4K on the right. So detail would be boosted by a lot.

And different lighting conditions, so comparing lighting quality is dumb

Models in "Models Viewer" are the same ones used in gameplay, since cutscenes are real time. And the models there are identical in detail for both games. It's the perfect place to judge Model Quality between them because they are under the same lighting conditions.

I'm not trying to say that the game doesn't look great. It looks awesome. One of the best looking games out there (just like Part II)

Last edited:
I played for two hours on fidelity 120hz 40fps and it was a mindfuck all throughout, exceeding my expectations and setting it above part 2.

I’m aways the 60fps route but fidelity at 40fps is a great middleground and so far pretty enjoyable surprisingly. The sharpness and quality is out of this world.

Thaedolus

Still a bit too much judder in 40hz mode for my tastes. Unlocked performance mode is buttery smooth, usually >75FPS and even upwards of 90 when I’ve checked. Worth the slight trade off of a bit of noticeable aliasing here and there.

I played with headphones to avoid waking up the family, 3D audio is phenomenal

Everything looks gorgeous. It’s insane how much better the cinematics look in real time vs the pre rendered scenes previously

I’m not sure why anyone is complaining about loading times, seems like they’re no more than 6-7 seconds? I feel like the older versions took up to a minute.

My one complaint is you’d think they could’ve done something to get rid of the sequences where sidling through narrow passages are used to mask loading times, but whatever.

"Regurgitating what someone else said". As if I was quoting some random user's opinion and not channels with experts that have been doing this for years.

And I'm playing the game, you believe it or not.

... As I said on the exact post that you are quoting: this image doesnt work because on the left you have native 1440p, and 4K on the right. So detail would be boosted by a lot.

And different lighting conditions, so comparing lighting quality is dumb

Models in "Models Viewer" are the same ones used in gameplay, since cutscenes are real time. And the models used in both games are identical.
7N6j8eA.jpg

Still wrong. I can't believe that you look at that comparison and still think it just because of different resolution. It's clearly because part 1 use better in game models than part 2. And the lighting and shadow is better than part 2 too.

Light can't affect that spot. There's no light source for it to be bright like that. You also can see that at his eyes .
Much better texture work for everything. Skin, cloth, bag belt,...
And the model has better details as well. Look at Joel wrinkles, beard,..

And btw in short. If that just because of the resolution then part 1 performance mode Joel model will looks exactly like part 2 since performance mode is 1440p too. But in DF videos they said fidelity mode looks the same as performance mode. The different might not big but it's noticeable.

Last edited:

Hugare

Combat feels much better than expected.
It really does. I was impressed.

Combat and sound were things that I werent expecting many differences, but it really feels better.

And the sound is just *chef kiss*

It's a huge upgrade due to the Tempest audio on PS5

Still wrong. I can't believe that you look at that comparison and still think it just because of different resolution. It's clearly because part 1 use better in game models than part 2. And the lighting and shadow is better than part 2 too.

Light can't affect that spot. There's no light source for it to be bright like that. You also can see that at his eyes .
Much better texture work for everything. Skin, cloth, bag belt,...
And the model has better details as well. Look at Joel wrinkles, beard,..

And btw in short. If that just because of the resolution then part 1 performance mode Joel model will looks exactly like part 2 since performance mode is 1440p too. But in DF videos they said fidelity mode looks the same as performance mode. The different is not big but it's noticeable. I'm saying all of this this as person who not paying 70$ for the game btw.
You still judging it from different scenes at different light conditions, so I won't prolong this discussion

Yet again I'll repeat myself: go to "Model Viewer" where you can see the ingame models using the same light source. They look the same in both games in terms of detail.

And no, DF didnt say that Fidelity Mode looks the same as Performance Mode. They said that Performance Mode is probably bugged and doesnt run with dynamic resolution, it's a locked 1440p just like TLOU Part 2.

Fidelity Mode runs at 4K, hence the bad performance drops at 40 Hz mode

It really does. I was impressed.

Combat and sound were things that I werent expecting many differences, but it really feels better.

And the sound is just *chef kiss*

It's a huge upgrade due to the Tempest audio on PS5

You still judging it from different scenes at different light conditions, so I won't prolong this discussion

Yet again I'll repeat myself: go to "Model Viewer" where you can see the ingame models using the same light source. They look the same in both games in terms of detail.

And no, DF didnt say that Fidelity Mode looks the same as Performance Mode. They said that Performance Mode is probably bugged and doesnt run with dynamic resolution, it's a locked 1440p just like TLOU Part 2.

Fidelity Mode runs at 4K, hence the bad performance drops at 40 Hz mode
Okay i won't continue this after this post.
Even in different light source you can notice the different lol.
As i said the "model viewer" can be the same. But they use better quality model for in game.

And yeah it locked at 1440p like tlou part 2. So doesn't it should follow your point, the model for both game should be the same in performance mode??? Yet this is not that case.

Well since you're completely misunderstand my point so it is what it is lmao.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
It really sucks that games like horizon and TLOU aren’t launching with performance modes working correctly

Fucking hell, I’ll complete the game before it gets a patch

This shit is unacceptable

The performance mode isn't stable? Are you playing with vrr? I was considering switching over from fidelity because even though it's sharp and pretty, the frame drops are significant especially when making quick turns with flashlight on. I sincerely hope post launch support is strong. This needs to be addressed asap.

Aggelos

Well there it is, the Remake brought a new batch of gifs in town...

Last edited:
The performance mode isn't stable? Are you playing with vrr? I was considering switching over from fidelity because even though it's sharp and pretty, the frame drops are significant especially when making quick turns with flashlight on. I sincerely hope post launch support is strong. This needs to be addressed asap.

No, the DRS isn’t working

Performance mode should be meaningfully higher than 1440p

Last edited:

Hugare

Well there it is, the Remake brought a new batch of gifs in town...
The Joel/Homelander one is really good

Glad to see the one with Marlene copying Nazaré's meme (brazilians bros will know)

I'm reaching the Capitol building right now, and man, I miss Part II dodge so much during combat. Shouldn't have played it in preparation for the Remake.

Still, having an amazing time. This game's pacing is something else.

And this is the "worst" part, imo. After Bill's Town the game goes full throttle.

Last edited:
The FOMO is real!!! and I'm probably not even half way through TLOU Part 2. Seems weird to have fomo for part 1 while not getting around to finishing the part 2 yet.

Falc67

This video perfectly captures the differences I've been harping on. The difference is significant to me, but I can't knock those who feel differently since it's all subjective. But to say there is not a fidelity improvement both cinematics and gameplay from Pt. 2 to Pt.1 Remake is false. I personally feel NXGamer and DF glossing over this is a glaring omission.

@Feel Like I'm On 42

I don’t even need to watch that video. I’ve been watching both gameplay and cutscene footage for both part 1/2. I changed my mind last night. There’s defl a graphical improvement, just not a generational one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom