• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II Review Embargo lifts June 12th, 12:01 AM Pacific Standard Time (NO SPOILERS PLS)

thelastword

Banned
Ahhhh wait! Ya think that was the reason for the delay(s)? Is this a legit theory?
No, not me. People were so sure that the story was awful just from the leaks, they had no context and looking at some of these tweets it appears that much of what they said does not happen in the main game...

There is no way they would've been able to change the plot in a month or 2, even more in a game of this scale. What the game is gonna be is definitely gonna be what ND wanted it to be since years.
Of course not, but when people are proven wrong, they will jump to conclusions such as these. I'm just saying you should look out for the people who said the story was awful from the leaks, to push that narrative now...

SSfox

No developers should ever change what they want to make just for sake of making bunch of angry people on internet happy.

I def agree with that.

Of course not, but when people are proven wrong, they will jump to conclusions such as these. I'm just saying you should look out for the people who said the story was awful from the leaks, to push that narrative now...

Yeah sure you'll always have those kind of morons no matter the subject. And of course it's Ok to not like the game and give opinion on it but those kind of people that just bash and shit on the game because they have nothing else to do in their life is pathetic, not worth paying too much attention to those.

THEAP99

Banned
Honestly, i hope they have a documentary being made. maybe have some of the devs cry when the embargo is released, similar to Cory?

THEAP99

Banned
I wonder how many people on YouTube are going to admit they were wrong about the leaks. I'm keeping an eye out on several YouTubers.

dc0df25667386eaac42c61005882f45a.png

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Please report your findings as I’m also very curious about that.
I'm keeping an eye out on Dreamcastguy, ReviewTechUSA, AngryJoe and a few other smaller YouTube channels.

There are some far right channels out there but I know they're going to sh** on the game because of political reasons no matter what. They're just looking for more subscribers at this point.

Umbral

No, not me. People were so sure that the story was awful just from the leaks, they had no context and looking at some of these tweets it appears that much of what they said does not happen in the main game...

I don’t know if you‘ve seen the leaks, but if they don’t happen in the main game then where the hell do they happen?

I have an idea but I’m being cautious because I don’t wanna get banned when I just got here.

Eanox

Fair point, but the media had an axe to grind with that one. It was obvious.
My point still stands I am replying to the person that mentioned reviewers are scared to provide low scores to Playstation studios' game.

It seems it's not obvious from that person.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
I don’t know if you‘ve seen the leaks, but if they don’t happen in the main game then where the hell do they happen?

I have an idea but I’m being cautious because I don’t wanna get banned when I just got here.
No spoilers please in any way. Some one dropped a pretty would be important plot point whilst we were discussing the game the other day, he thought I knew, but I have stayed clear of spoilers entirely. I'm thinking that's one of the leak parts that was not true, makes most sense to me. So it would seem some of this stuff was fabricated as well....

Geki-D

Banned
To my understanding the content of the videos, the actual leaked footage is obviously true. But everything else, all of the written stuff is not and was just fake guess work. All of the 4Chan "Christian hates gays cult" leak was clearly based off the fact ND said back in 2018 that those guys are a cult but the actual leaked footage contradicts nearly everything said in that fake leak that wasn't already official public knowledge.

I've been trying to avoid the leaks, but of the stuff I've had forced upon by retarded trolls (mainly here on GAF), only one important plot point was in the leaked footage. THE ENDING WAS NOT LEAKED.

DForce DForce has seen the leaks and apparently there is like 20 mins of cutscenes and less than an hour of gameplay. We know that the leakers NEVER had a full build of the game in their possession, but just managed to get QA videos off ND's amazon server. So everything that isn't in those videos is fake and/or speculation and the reviewers are confirming this.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Just to echo the above:

I did a breakdown of the full 90min leak compilation and noted that it was composed of bits of footage from over 20 different (numbered on-screen) builds of the game! It was just a random grab-bag of clips.

Pretty much everything surrounding the leaks has been distorted beyond belie by people with axes to grind of agendas of their own to serve.

Literally the only good thing to come from all of this kerfuffle is that its flushed a lot of bad actors out into the open. A timely reminder that its not just the excesses of the SJW we need to be vigilant of.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
It's also worth noting that some people, who are big fans of part 1 & have no agenda whatsoever, watched the leak scenes & simply had a very negative reaction to what they saw. I know because I'm one of them.

I don't pay any mind to speculation masquerading as fact & have no time for zealots attacking or defending the game or Neil Druckman. I just watched the footage of events that occur in the game & immediately thought "Oh fucking hell no". Then all this nonsense back & forth drama that's played out over several threads, with the same people, whipped up into a frenzy & I just walked away from it.

I don't think I'm alone in this. So just to clarify to the warriors, we exist outside of your war.

SSfox

Is it me or she looks a bit like Ellie?

No joke i can see Ellie get ever closer as she get a older.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
To my understanding the content of the videos, the actual leaked footage is obviously true. But everything else, all of the written stuff is not and was just fake guess work. All of the 4Chan "Christian hates gays cult" leak was clearly based off the fact ND said back in 2018 that those guys are a cult but the actual leaked footage contradicts nearly everything said in that fake leak that wasn't already official public knowledge.
Yep the only thing that’s 100 confirmed is the stuff shown in the footage. All the plot outlines surrounding this is pretty much guessing and speculation as there’s a lot of different plot outlines going around & Gene Park said that the written “leaks” are nonsense.

It’s also worth noting even that the videos were indeed random and not in a sequence. It’s really premature overall and I can’t wait to play the full game to experience the whole thing!

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Yep the only thing that’s 100 confirmed is the stuff shown in the footage. All the plot outlines surrounding this is pretty much guessing and speculation as there’s a lot of different plot outlines going around & Gene Park said that the written “leaks” are nonsense.

It’s also worth noting even that the videos were indeed random and not in a sequence. It’s really premature overall and I can’t wait to play the full game to experience the whole thing!

Yeah, all this BS about narrrative and leaks were incorrect are going to focus on those 4ch additions that were just used to manufacture outrage. Everything in the videos should be legit.

J3nga

But I mean who confirmed and how that leaks are fake? Is it based on some vague tweets from reviewers that got their copies or some anonymous post on 4chan etc.?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This is old but it's an interesting breakdown of the game mechanics we've seen so far. I'm really worried about those dogs. I've got a feeling they've been introduced to keep the player moving and that bothers me. The dialogue is definitely not going to be as tight as the first game either. The Shambler is also interesting when you think about it. Remember, Ellie is immune to the infection AND spores, so I'm wondering if we'll get some narrative moments explaining that the infection has become more dangerous and so even Ellie isn't safe from the spores. The Shambler would not be that dangerous to Ellie if it didn't. Of course, we might also play as other characters for long periods of time. That could explain it:

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
But I mean who confirmed and how that leaks are fake? Is it based on some vague tweets from reviewers that got their copies or some anonymous post on 4chan etc.?

Many people in the spoiler thread knew the leaks were fake for some time now. The problem is that many people still don't know and they were still making videos about the fake story leaks from 4chan.

It says the game ends at the certain point when there's obviously more chapters to the game.

Geki-D

Banned
The Shambler is also interesting when you think about it. Remember, Ellie is immune to the infection AND spores, so I'm wondering if we'll get some narrative moments explaining that the infection has become more dangerous and so even Ellie isn't safe from the spores. The Shambler would not be that dangerous to Ellie if it didn't. Of course, we might also play as other characters for long periods of time.
This was already explained in the first game with bloaters. They don't put out spores, but put out mycotoxin.

I'm really worried about those dogs.
Play on easy mode, then.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This was already explained in the first game with bloaters. They don't put out spores, but put out mycotoxin.

Play on easy mode, then.

I'm not going to ruin every aspect of combat and stealth because of one feature. Stealth is more satisfying if you have to plan and be patient. It's just as satisfying as open combat if the game is balanced correctly. And, yeah, I checked and it's an acid like substance the Shambler puts out.

Last edited:
I'll wait for Angry Joe's reviews, I don't always agree with him, but he is usually honest and mostly fair in his assessment.

I mean, who will pay attention to a know nothing like Greg Miller, or some other traditional style media face for their reviews these days?

Last edited:

NickFire

I hope the big ticket items in the leaks were just angry agenda driven nonsense and fake. I highly doubt it, but it can't hurt to hope.

THEAP99

Banned
I'm not going to ruin every aspect of combat and stealth because of one feature. Stealth is more satisfying if you have to plan and be patient. It's just as satisfying as open combat if the game is balanced correctly. And, yeah, I checked and it's an acid like substance the Shambler puts out.
You should check out the previews of the game. The dogs do require you plan stuff out a bit more.

i think what I’ll do lay out bombs where the scent trail is following me (assuming i don’t play grounded first play through).

can also take them out silently with a bow, or just run.

THEAP99

Banned

Another thing I’d like to mention if there was any concern. Sony doesn’t seem to be selective with copies.

All over Instagram you can that there’s a bunch of “nobody’s” with like a couple hundred followers with the game.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
You should check out the previews of the game. The dogs do require you plan stuff out a bit more.

i think what I’ll do lay out bombs where the scent trail is following me (assuming i don’t play grounded first play through).

can also take them out silently with a bow, or just run.

I still think the way the dogs are done, with the scent trails, is an indication they're trying to encourage you to keep moving. The only problem is, it would 'appear' you'll not be able to find a vantage point and assess the situation from there because eventually a dog will pick up your trail. I think the only way around this is going to be to kill all the dogs and then wait for the enemies to stop looking for you.

THEAP99

Banned
I still think the way the dogs are done, with the scent trails, is an indication they're trying to encourage you to keep moving. The only problem is, it would 'appear' you'll not be able to find a vantage point and assess the situation from there because eventually a dog will pick up your trail. I think the only way around this is going to be to kill all the dogs and then wait for the enemies to stop looking for you.
They don’t want u just camping in one spot and I like that.

hiding under a car? They’ll eventually find you.

hiding in tall grass? Your not always truly hidden.

You can throw dogs off the scent trailer btw with bottles and stuff.

I wonder about the skill trees and if there’s one that has to do with scent

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
They don’t want u just camping in one spot and I like that.

hiding under a car? They’ll eventually find you.

hiding in tall grass? Your not always truly hidden.

You can throw dogs off the scent trailer btw with bottles and stuff.

I wonder about the skill trees and if there’s one that has to do with scent

The problems isn't all the above, the problem is, before the inclusion of dogs, you could comfortably plan out your strategy from a vantage point and then execute it. Now, even if you've sneaked into the area and the enemies are not aware of you, the dogs will tell them you are there. What would make up for this somewhat is if they've got a wind mechanic.

You might like not camping out but you've got a choice not to. If it works as I suspect, I don't have a choice.

Last edited:

Umbral

No spoilers please in any way. Some one dropped a pretty would be important plot point whilst we were discussing the game the other day, he thought I knew, but I have stayed clear of spoilers entirely. I'm thinking that's one of the leak parts that was not true, makes most sense to me. So it would seem some of this stuff was fabricated as well....

I would never spoil anything. I’ve seen the entirety of the leaks. That’s specifically what I was wondering about. The footage is real, the speculation is just that.

I've been trying to avoid the leaks, but of the stuff I've had forced upon by retarded trolls (mainly here on GAF), only one important plot point was in the leaked footage. THE ENDING WAS NOT LEAKED.

There is an article by the LA Times that refers to them as a “xenophobic cult”. We’ll see soon enough, I suppose.

Just to echo the above:

I did a breakdown of the full 90min leak compilation and noted that it was composed of bits of footage from over 20 different (numbered on-screen) builds of the game! It was just a random grab-bag of clips.

Pretty much everything surrounding the leaks has been distorted beyond belie by people with axes to grind of agendas of their own to serve.

Literally the only good thing to come from all of this kerfuffle is that its flushed a lot of bad actors out into the open. A timely reminder that its not just the excesses of the SJW we need to be vigilant of.

Though some of those builds were from April 2020. I’ve seen all of it. I’m usually one to avoid any spoilers whatsoever.

It's also worth noting that some people, who are big fans of part 1 & have no agenda whatsoever, watched the leak scenes & simply had a very negative reaction to what they saw. I know because I'm one of them.

I don't pay any mind to speculation masquerading as fact & have no time for zealots attacking or defending the game or Neil Druckman. I just watched the footage of events that occur in the game & immediately thought "Oh fucking hell no". Then all this nonsense back & forth drama that's played out over several threads, with the same people, whipped up into a frenzy & I just walked away from it.

I don't think I'm alone in this. So just to clarify to the warriors, we exist outside of your war.
Exactly this. It’s a tough rope to walk, but some people just didn’t like it.

Jayjayhd34

There talking about write ups rather than video footage. Most of write ups where contridicted by video footage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom