• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II - Review Thread - *NO. SPOILERS. PERIOD.*

What will TLOU 2 average score be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Umbral

I remember seeing that jacked ass woman from the trailer and thought, yeah....makes sense, you'd want to be as strong as possible to survive. Seem believable. Then I went online.........It's like some guys have never seen a strong ass woman in real life so they must be fake.

giphy.gif
Using an example of a female UFC fighter that isn’t as big as mystery woman, has gotten popped for steroid usage in 2011, later using a diuretic to mask additional steroid usage in 2017, has been accused of abusing steroids consistently in addition to testosterone, has a masculine frame as a result, and a noticeably deeper voice and stronger jawline.

Beautiful, you made their point for them.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
I remember seeing that jacked ass woman from the trailer and thought, yeah....makes sense, you'd want to be as strong as possible to survive. Seem believable. Then I went online.........It's like some guys have never seen a strong ass woman in real life so they must be fake.

giphy.gif

Where the fuck Abby finding the time to stay in such good shape? Where's is she getting the protein for it?

She's more jacked than a steroid user who trains for a living. Whatever she's doing, I want to know.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The Spoiler Discussion thread should be fun after we're done completing the game.

I know reading short plot summaries are much different than actually experiencing the game.

If read The Last of Us Part I plot summaries that said.

Joel's daughter dies in the beginning while trying to find the quarantine zone.
The story fast-forwards 20 years later.
Joel and Tess are asked to smuggle an immune girl named Ellie to the fireflies.
Tess dies on the way after being bitten by an infected. Tess tell Joel to find his brother Tommy because he used to be with the fireflies
Joel wants to get a truck from his brother Bill.
Joel and Ellie meet Henry and Sam who are also looking to find the fireflies.
Sam gets bitten by a clicker and Henry kills his brother after turning to save Ellie. Henry ends up committing suicide.

Personally, I cannot get much out of the story by just reading things like this. Some of the best moments in the game happened here and you can only experience by seeing how it all plays out.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

The name is not revealed for a reason and it's a semi spoiler.

Play the game first and come to that conclusion yourself.

And everything about a video game is not meant to be realistic.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Using an example of a female UFC fighter that isn’t as big as Abby, has gotten popped for steroid usage in 2011, later using a diuretic to mask additional steroid usage in 2017, has been accused of abusing steroids consistently in addition to testosterone, has a masculine frame as a result, and a noticeably deeper voice and stronger jawline.

Beautiful, you made their point for them.

Yet she exist.... I don't think they are arguing about the ethics of the person or mortality of the person.

She exist.

Thus someone like that in game shouldn't really be seen as this forced idea when clearly Cyborg exist so.... Keep in mind, Cyborg isn't even on the most extreme end of such a concept to really be doubting the existence of people like that, shes not a pro female body builder or anything like that. So the example is simply to show Cyborg exist, thus someone like that isn't really this wild concept.

Many women exist that have masculine frames that use nothing at all and they just have a trait in their family were they look like that.

9c046bb45f97a4d52b4a3f19ce441f4324689292.jpg

So if someone made a video game and used her its an agenda? Come the fuck on man, it sounds so silly and sounds like you might be exaggerating this a bit too much. Imagine putting every fucking game under some microscope to argue it must be some agenda that someone looks one way or the other completely ignoring HUMANS can look like that normally.....

linda-hamilton-terminator-2.jpg

but hey, it must be agenda...that sounds sane, rational and logical? Not that......well....humans are born that way that look that way and actually exist or?

So if they make a game from this, its "woke" huh? smh

RedVIper

Banned
Yet she exist.... I don't think they are arguing about the ethics of the person or mortality of the person.

She exist.

Thus someone like that in game shouldn't really be seen as this forced idea when clearly Cyborg exist so.... Keep in mind, Cyborg isn't even on the most extreme end of such a concept to really be doubting the existence of people like that, shes not a pro female body builder or anything like that. So the example is simply to show Cyborg exist, thus someone like that isn't really this wild concept.

Many women exist that have masculine frames that use nothing at all and they just have a trait in their family were they look like that.

So if someone made a video game and used her its an agenda? Come the fuck on man, it sounds so silly and sounds like you might be exaggerating this a bit too much. Imagine putting every fucking game under some microscope to argue it must be some agenda that someone looks one way or the other completely ignoring HUMANS can look like that normally.....

but hey, it must be agenda...that sounds sane, rational and logical? Not that......well....humans are born that way that look that way and actually exist or?

Mate, none of those girls are nearly as jacked. The first two just have a strong jaw.

The last one is buffed, but she doesn't abbys shoulders, like she's super tiny in comparison.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Mate, none of those girls are nearly as jacked. The first two just have a strong jaw.

The last one is buffed, but she doesn't abbys shoulders, like she's super tiny in comparison.

Thats not the point, the point is people like that exist. Looking for this exact clone is a strange argument so I'll just leave you with this.

maxresdefault.jpg

Denise_Rutkowski_04.jpg

656050932.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

So what? We going to say no one like this exist even remotely or?

Sounds like a bizarre argument against reality

RedVIper

Banned
Thats not the point, the point is people like that exist. Looking for this exact clone is a strange argument so I'll just leave you with this.

maxresdefault.jpg

Denise_Rutkowski_04.jpg

656050932.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

So what? We going to say no one like this exist even remotely or?

Sounds like a bizarre argument against reality

I'm not saying those people don't exist.

I'm saying it's weird for a girl in an apocalyptic world to look like a female body builder. That shit requires serious amount of training, is abby spending her days at the local gym eating protein shakes?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm not saying those people don't exist.

I'm saying it's weird for a girl in an apocalyptic world to look like a female body builder. That shit requires serious amount of training, is abby spending her days at the local gym eating protein shakes?
In this game both Joel and Ellie can take out whole army of people......so I don't think this game is going for realism. I don't know why people so bothered by this?

EDMIX

I'm saying it's weird for a girl in an apocalyptic world to look like a female body builder.

Not really, if people like this exist, I see no reason to start questioning them in the post apocalyptic world as if they disappeared or something lol

That shit requires serious amount of training

With the world the way it current is in that universe, it actually supports her training EVEN MORE! So stay weak and die? smh So anyone part of some group that steal the most, have the most resources etc will make use of them. If that means her continuing to train and eat good, then her current form only shows that she has done well in this setting. It doesn't then question such a person existing, if anything it would be weird if such a bodybuilding, crossfit person didn't EXIST as they are now training to actually survive vs some competition.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
What's more believable.

A masculine woman living in a post-apocalyptic world.

or

Lara Croft, Nathan Drake, Ellie and Joel surviving an army of soldiers without taking a single bullet to the chest or the head?

RedVIper

Banned
In this game both Joel and Ellie can take out whole army of people......so I don't think this game is going for realism. I don't know why people so bothered by this?

This a gameplay element.

I'm not sure how you can say that TLOU isn't going for realism.

Not really, if people like this exist, I see no reason to start questioning them in the post apocalyptic world as if they disappeared or something lol

No? I'd say bodybuilders would be way less common in an apocalyptic worl.

With the world the way it current is in that universe, it actually supports her training EVEN MORE!

Are you retarded? Bodybuilders will spend 3 hours a day at the gym. You think in the middle of the apocalypse it makes sense for her to waste 3 hours a day lifting weights? lol.

So stay weak and die? smh So anyone part of some group that steal the most, have the most resources etc will make use of them. If that means her continuing to train and eat good, then her current form only shows that she has done well in this setting. It doesn't then question such a person existing, if anything it would be weird if such a bodybuilding, crossfit person didn't EXIST as they are now training to actually survive vs some competition.

Bodybuilding isn't good for "survival", bodybuilding is specifically done to showoff. You think everyone would be okay with abby spending her days at the gym wasting 8k calories a day while everyone goes out on missions to fetch her protein shakes?

It's fine that she's in the game, it's a bit weird, that's it. It would be weird if joel looked like a bodybuilder too.

Last edited:

EDMIX

What's more believable.

A masculine woman living in a post-apocalyptic world.

or

Lara Croft, Nathan Drake, Ellie and Joel surviving an army of soldiers without taking a single bullet to the chest or the head?

I'm saying lol!!! When ever anyone makes this point, I never get the purpose.

ab577b3970a87f2ca331a163b80f88ec.gif

The entire thing is fake, its not real, to then question this is to question most games. Chris Redfield was out here looking like Jay Cutler in Resident Evil 5. So as far as I can see...this is no where near RE5 craziness to really be doing all of this stressing and fake concern stuff.

RedVIper RedVIper "I'm not sure how you can say that TLOU isn't going for realism." NOT in the way you are trying to fight about this man. People like her exist in real life.....so trying to then claim something is regarding realism just doesn't really work as the person STILL EXIST IN REAL LIFE.

So people like her exist, they train and during a setting like this I don't think they'd disappear as fast as you think. You are just exaggerating and blowing this waaaaaaay out of proportion as technically, if you want to keep arguing about it, The Last Of Us in GENERAL is fake. The game literally is about a world in ruins about people who are out here fighting 500 plus monsters lol

Using that logic, don't play the game.......

Move on.....

Its bizarre argue about such a thing knowing its a video game and knowing people like her actually exist.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I'm not sure how you can say that TLOU isn't going for realism.
Because its not, just because it has realistic graphics it doesn't meant it going for realism or simulation. Games like Flight Simulation or RDR2 is(at least it tries).

Lmao salty nintendo fanboys that a Nintendo channel is playing a real game
Whats that even mean exactly? what makes Nintendo games like Xenoblade and Fire Emblem "not real games"?

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
I'm saying lol!!! When ever anyone makes this point, I never get the purpose.

ab577b3970a87f2ca331a163b80f88ec.gif

The entire thing is fake, its not real, to then question this is to question most games. Chris Redfield was out here looking like Jay Cutler in Resident Evil 5. So as far as I can see...this is no where near RE5 craziness to really be doing all of this stressing and fake concern stuff.

Might as well have a jetpack then.

Making the opposite point, "the game isn't 100% realistic so any unrealistic features are fine" doesn't really work. It's fine for a realistic game to make concessions in the name of gameplay, but sacrificing other things is silly, if joel walked around in a clown costume it would probably take people out of the experience, you wouldn't just say "well they manage to kill 100 people so what's the problem with him looking like a clown".

TLDR: People comparing unrealistic gameplay features with other things.

Anyway, move on, we're derailing the thread.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Making the opposite point, "the game isn't 100% realistic so any unrealistic features are fine" doesn't really work. It's fine for a realistic game to make concessions in the name of gameplay, but sacrificing other things is silly, if joel walked around in a clown costume it would probably take people out of the experience, you wouldn't just say "well they manage to kill 100 people so what's the problem with him looking like a clown".

The setting is already is unrealistic and fiction.....is not like this game is going for some kind of historical accuracy here.

Umbral

She exist.

Don’t you dare put Ellen Ripley or Sarah Connor in the same category as mystery woman. Ripley and Connor are leagues above anything that has come since them.

My response was never about Cyborg’s ethics, but that she had to use steroids and test in a world where abundance is normal, she had a team of trainers, access to an incredible gym, it’s her job, and she still had to use steroids and testosterone to get as big as she is.

Mystery woman exists in a post-apocalypse. It’s comical.

The developers have explicitly stated they are going for realism. If they were not, why not have Ellie be able to teleport? Why isn’t her skin impenetrable? There’s a level of realism being attempted here and when one attempts it there are certain boundaries that, if broken, will make the whole idea implausible, i.e., mystery woman’s physique.

With the world the way it current is in that universe, it actually supports her training EVEN MORE! So stay weak and die? smh So anyone part of some group that steal the most, have the most resources etc will make use of them. If that means her continuing to train and eat good, then her current form only shows that she has done well in this setting. It doesn't then question such a person existing, if anything it would be weird if such a bodybuilding, crossfit person didn't EXIST as they are now training to actually survive vs some competition.

This does not work in a world of famine and disease. It’s implausible and clearly many people saying that it’s not implausible do not know enough about building and maintaining muscle in general, and even more specifically, for women. Men have around 10 times as much testosterone as women and would have a hard time building and maintaining that physique in today’s world with no famine. People need to let this one go, it doesn’t make sense and looks ridiculous. I’ve been through this too many times.

Danjin44

The developers have explicitly stated they are going for realism. If they were not, why not have Ellie be able to teleport? Why isn’t her skin impenetrable? There’s a level of realism being attempted here and when one attempts it there are certain boundaries that, if broken, will make the whole idea implausible, i.e., mystery woman’s physique.
The "realism" they are talking about is graphics....Its same with Ghost of Tsushima, it has realistic historical setting but it they are not going for accuracy here.

Last edited:

EDMIX

smh my god...because a women works out? Thats not the same as a jetpack? Wow bud.

"Making the opposite point, "the game isn't 100% realistic so any unrealistic features are fine" doesn't really work." Oh it does..

The game can to a degree as realistic and clearly unrealistic as the developers see fit. Its...FAKE! As in NOT REAL, as in MAKE BELIEVE.

Metal Gear Solid is a game based on countries that exist in real life, but characters that don't, some of the weapons are real, some are not, some of the characters are actually real people as in they represent a real life person, some don't.

Trying to force this strawman that it MUST be "realistic" to your degree of liking to then argue about something makes next to no sense.

The developer sets what that is. Not you, not me.

Unrealistic in regards to fighting 500 bad guys without a scratch, realistic in that the human emotion of anger, love, revenge would still exist in the world.

So its their game. If they want a cross fit person in the game, sure...I see no reasons to get upset about that as folks like that EXIST, getting mad and saying if they would or wouldn't work out is irrelevant as in their universe....she does work out, she does eat a lot and you are going to have to deal with that such a human exist in their game. At some point, you are simply arguing the improbability that she would exist, but you can equal argue that NEITHER character should have made it out of the first game fighting 500 bad guys....

Suddenly you don't want to talk about that? smh.

Imagine trying to argue over someone in a video game having GAINS, yet the person you are referring to isn't on the level of any major Bodybuilder and its in a game where you are out here fighting like 500 bad guys and junk lol

Just stop man...

Umbral Umbral Thats nice. I think they mean within reason bud, they are not making a biography.

"This does not work in a world of famine and disease." Yet clearly, they are saying it does in THIS SITUATION FOR THIS BAD GUY! The fucking world didn't just stop having all forms of food.

Someone hoards lots of food, works out, continues to say buff. If 3 million people exist on earth in this setting, you can't for a 100% fact put you LIFE that 1 person like that doesn't exist.

She is that 1 person=)

" Men have around 10 times as much testosterone as women" Thats nice. She isn't like those women..... JUST like Cyborg and many cross fit women are not.

This game is about someone that is.

Thats it.

I think you are simply mad that no one is really saying in a real life simulation this would fucking happen, simply that the world they built can argue that such a person CAN exist as NOTHING exist in the world to say otherwise. This isn't Children of Men were we can fucking argue a demographic not existing is part of the lore or something. They have LESS of something yes, NOTHING has been eliminated from that universe to argue your point. You are simply mad that we are saying they exist in the world by all the means that has allowed such a thing to technically still go on, even if by a limited number of people.

So she works out everyday, she is not THAT BUFF to argue it can't be done, thus feasible.
She eats what she needs to to continue to stay buff, her group hording all of the food and meds fits the narrative and could happen....thus feasible.
WOMEN EXIST that clearly are buff, have gains and work out, yes and even being bigger then normal men...thus feasible.

NOTHING in the world of The Last Of Us REALLY can for a fucking fact state such a thing can't happen.

You are simply mad they did make it happen....

Last edited:

Umbral

The "realism" they are talking about is graphics....Its same with Ghost of Tsushima, it has realistic historical setting but it they are not going for accuracy here.

Where’s the line then? Where do you say “That’s too far?”

Mine’s at mystery woman’s physique. I know enough to know that’s not possible.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
The setting is already is unrealistic and fiction.....is not like this game is going for some kind of historical accuracy here.

Fiction can be "realistic". I really shouldn't have to explain this.

As for you EDMIX EDMIX drop it, you just wrote 20 paragraphs because I said that having a jacked up women in an apocalyptic scenario is a bit weird, I'm not mad, all I said was that it was a bit weird, now move the fuck on and stop derailing the thread.

Danjin44

That’s for developers to decide, they will decide what they want in their game. Sucker Punch seems love old live action samurai movies, so they wanted that in their game even if it’s not historically accurate, because that’s what they wanted in their game.

Umbral

" Men have around 10 times as much testosterone as women" Thats nice. She isn't like those women..... JUST like Cyborg and many cross fit women are not.

Those women are on steroids and/or testosterone. As long as they show mystery woman shooting test or steroids, I’ll accept it (even though steroids would have gone bad and become unusable at this point).

Umbral

That’s for developers to decide, they will decide what they want in their game. Sucker Punch seems love old live action samurai movies, so they wanted that in their game even if it’s not historically accurate, because that’s what they wanted in their game.
What would break the illusion for you?

Would it be ok if Ellie and Dina could ride horses upside down? Would you be ok if Ellie had a cybernetic arm? What about if she could just hold her breath underwater for hours?

EDMIX

Mine’s at mystery woman’s physique. I know enough to know that’s not possible.

I don't think anything you are saying regarding the last of us is "too far".

"I know enough to know that’s not possible." Nah bud, too many women in cross fit and bodybuilding and MMA say otherwise and they are MORE fucking jacked then her. So in real life, real life is not possible? smh.

'Those women are on steroids and/or testosterone." Ok and? You can argue so is she..... You think the land having no law would mean drugs would disappear? lol

". As long as they show mystery woman shooting test or steroids, "

It would be like saying you need to see them have surgery on a character to REALLY buy that they survived a gun shot wound in the game....its also a game...you don't really need to see any of that stuff...

Last edited:

Umbral

I don't think anything you are saying regarding the last of us is "too far".

"I know enough to know that’s not possible." Nah bud, too many women in cross fit and bodybuilding and MMA say otherwise and they are MORE fucking jacked then her. So in real life, real life is not possible? smh.
You don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m done trying to talk to you.

EDMIX

You don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m done trying to talk to you.

You can't really prove your point man. " I know enough to know that’s not possible." You know no woman at all is that jacked? Do you not know how weird that sounds? After a post like that, I'd be done talking to me too. What am I going to show? The women who got no gains or something? lol Regardless of how, they have serious gains. Its really hard to argue against reality regarding such a thing man.

Ms-Olympia.jpg

How you know her backstory not that she some ex Crossfit start, bodybuilder, powerlifter, MMA fighter or something? lol

swole.jpg

yet....here some women are existing with all they gains...

So you saying such a thing isn't normal, doesn't not mean it doesn't happen, doesn't mean someone can't make a game about a character that clearly is about that life. It would be like if I wrote Metal Gear Solid VI, Sons of the elderly and Snake out here fighting everyone with his old gains lol

maxresdefault.jpg

You can go on allllllllll day like "I know enough to know that’s not possible" Yes...not for all old people, but my Metal Gear Solid VI Sons Of The Elderly is about the exception....like that picture, its not saying ALL OLD PEOPLE CAN DO THIS!

Last edited:

Danjin44

What would break the illusion for you?
Simple.......it all about execution and so far to me I don’t see anything wrong with it. Again developers will make what they want to make, so you either you are going to like it or not.

Here is the thing with me, I’m fan of my favourite developers not because they make games I want but I like what they make. I never asked Atlus to make puzzle game like Catherine but I end up loving it because I liked what they made.

Banned
O' our lord and saviour, SkillUp review, please purify our salts and grant us more testosterone pumped up spirit than won't be corrupted by woke agenda that plague those paid reviews

EDMIX

Simple.......it all about execution and so far to me I don’t see anything wrong with it. Again developers will make what they want to make, so you either you are going to like it or not.

Here is the thing with me, I’m fan of my favourite developers not because they make games I want but I like what they make. I never asked Atlus to make puzzle game like Catherine but I end up loving it because I liked what they made.

Facts.

The limitation of the world they made is up to them to decide what they think is too much or not. What I see from this is simply that we have a character that is clearly reaping the benefits from that hoard life.

It would be like questioning a fat person in a post apocalyptic world be like "This does not work in a world of famine and disease. It’s implausible" yet one can make a game about someone that did, not about the statistics of if it would or wouldn't happen to some degree of some demographic or something lol

You can even make a fat person in Fallout or The Last Of Us or something and them getting so fat was because they are the leader and the raider give them allllll the fatty foods the find or something.

Are people not getting this is make believe? It would be like someone citing the mortality rate by someone's age and claim them having a heart attack as part of the games story just can't happen lol

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

There's a balance between realism and fantasy.

How come Chris and Jill have to find a key to every door when they could just burst through he door with no problem?

How is Drake able to climb mountains with only his bare hands?

If you can nitpick about a character's physical appearance not being realistic, then you should have that same approach with every little aspect within a video game.

REE Machine

Banned
People thinking the game is realistic lol
1. A fungus break out caused zombies that look like flowers
2. Ellie and Joel kill hundreds of people while out numbered
3. Joel gets a fucking rebar through his abdomen and survives during said apocalypse
4. After miraculously healing but with the wound still infected Joel can take on grown men who arent hurt to find david
5. Joel takes on a batch of the fireflies himself that are specialized in killing because they oppose the military etc. And wins

Last edited:

Woggleman

There was a lot of division with RDR2 but you didn't see this intense vitriol towards the game and Rockstar in general. People were not threatening Dan Houser and there wasn't this effort to rain on the parade of everybody who did like the game. With TLOU2 there is a vendetta with some people that almost seems personal.

Top Bottom