• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Remastered censored in all countries in Europe

Mr-Joker

Banned
Lately I am starting to learn that the German rating system might not be so bad as I heard it to be.

But yeah seriously Sony why are you being so cheap, The Last of Us on the PS3 sold 7 Million surely you spring out the wallet?

It's only MP so no big deal to me

Yeah for you, but that's clearly isn't the case for the other people.

What I don't get is why only the MP is censored?

Ask Sony.

This has nothing to do with Germany. Beyond was censored because of PEGI. It varies from game to game. Some games didn't need to be censored at all, but Sony does so anyway in advance. They are just lazy and definitely to blame.

Sony isn't lazy, just too cheap to pay for two versions or repay for resubmission fee should it somehow fail.

MMaRsu

Banned
I guess if you have to go apeshit on a country instead of a company then it's Japan because Sony is a Japanese corporation?

I'm saying in which countries it is supposed to be censored? Obviously not Germany as posted itt.

Fuck you ya Sony clowns. All the wrong decisions since launch.. fuck. I thought they wouldnt get complacent but Sony are acting like a bunch of idiots lately. Damn.

GoaThief

Thanks for the heads up, forgot about this.

Not really good and an area of Sony's that could definitely use some improvement.

ViviOggi

It's not only Germany. I believe Austria, Australia and some middle-orient countries (they're all in Europe in Sony world) have strict rules too about "mature" games. They don't wan't to possibly have to deal with all this differences and prefer to opt for the lowest denominator. It's a publisher's choice.
Austria doesn't give a fuck about violence in media, you might have gotten this impression from some publishers who create a censored version and release it in all of the German-speaking countries, without any legal reason to do so. Bethesda recently got flak for this practice (rightfully so) and had to revoke the region lock on uncensored Steam copies for Austrian IPs.

Nzyme32

As confirmed by Fred Dutton on the EU Playstation Blog comments, TLoU Remastered multiplayer mode is censored in all European countries, just like the original PS3 game was. That means all gore is gone. I'm not buying this shit.

At the moment, Sony is by far the worst publisher when it comes to completely pointless and unnecessary censorship. They completely fucked the Twisted Metal franchise and actually had lower sales because of it, but they didn't care: they censored PS3 Twisted Metal too. There is no lawful reason to do this, but Sony does it anyway. They seem to be living in a world where GTA5 is not the best selling game of last gen with all its violence unaltered in Europe.

Is anything going to make Sony stop censoring these damn games?

I think this is more to do with German law (probably a few other countries too), and the fact that they can't distribute the a censored version just for Germany and a seperate uncensored one for the rest of Europe without a largely increased cost. The only other option is to not sell the game in Germany, but they amount of sales lost is not what they want, so it is more cost effective to do it this way and censor all of Europe.

Obviously everyone doesn't like this but that is an issue with physical copies. I don't see a reason for this to be the case digitally unless they want some form of parity with physical, which seems.. annoying

Think we knew this alreadly. Going off the giant tlou thread nearly every EU gaffer seems to be getting the us version.

Why are you blaming Sony? It is Germany causing the problems.

Not me because I'm getting this version

last_of_us_steelbook.jpg

I didn't even notice the game was censored last year.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'm saying in which countries it is supposed to be censored? Obviously not Germany as posted itt.

Fuck you ya Sony clowns. All the wrong decisions since launch.. fuck. I thought they wouldnt get complacent but Sony are acting like a bunch of idiots lately. Damn.
You need to ask Sony who they are trying to appease.

Also as a side note your posts are embarrassing.

ViviOggi

I think this is more to do with German law (probably a few other countries too), and the fact that they can't distribute the a censored version just for Germany and a seperate uncensored one for the rest of Europe without a largely increased cost. The only other option is to not sell the game in Germany, but they amount of sales lost is not what they want, so it is more cost effective to do it this way and censor all of Europe.

Obviously everyone doesn't like this but that is an issue with physical copies. I don't see a reason for this to be the case digitally unless they want some form of parity with physical, which seems.. annoying
It has never been a Europe-wide issue except with a select few cheapskate publishers. It's especially pathetic considering Sony's got a guaranteed mega seller on their hands.

tolkir

This has nothing to do with Germany. Beyond was censored because of PEGI. It varies from game to game. Some games didn't need to be censored at all, but Sony does so anyway in advance. They are just lazy and definitely to blame.

Beyond was censored because Sony wanted PEGI 16. It would be uncut with PEGI 18.

TyrantII

This is not because of Germany. The game would pass uncensored with a "ab 18 Jahren" rating with a 99% chance.

Sony is self censoring the game to avoid even the 1% of having to resubmit it.

You can't blame Germany if the USK rating board didn't even have a chance to review the uncensored version.

So it must be the Aussys then?

Didn't GTA, RDR, and a few other games get outright banned down under due to their ultraconservative censorship board?

AFAIK they're considered Pal as well, right?

TyrantII

Well Killzone Shadowfalls servers are divided by regions, but now that you mention it I do recall that Uncharted 3 was worldwide and I think TLOU was too.

But as long as it's based by my IP I can without worry import it, so thanks for the answer :)

They have host relay servers in different regions to help with latency, but I've played on those servers every now and then from the US. Nothing keeps me from connecting and playing with a bunch of Brits, and I even noticed and uptick of Japanese players once the game and system were launched there.

Like I said, very few games lock down MP play across regions. Mostly because they struggle as is to keep MP communities together.

Facism

if this censorship was major i'd get the hyperbolic outcry of "not buying this DISGRACEFUL SONY LAZY DEVS" nonsense that's getting spouted. It's just fucking dismemberment in the multiplayer. Popped heads and limbs. The BIGGEST of fucking deals.

GavinUK86

if this censorship was major i'd get the hyperbolic outcry of "not buying this DISGRACEFUL SONY LAZY DEVS" nonsense that's getting spouted. It's just fucking dismemberment in the multiplayer. Popped heads and limbs. The BIGGEST of fucking deals.

what's the point in killing someone if their head doesn't pop off doesn't make sense to me

AlexBasch

Whatever, it's just the multiplayer and no one plays that anyway. This would be really shitty if it was the single-player too though.
1v1 me 420 noscope rifle

I stopped playing TLOU MP because of this, I enjoy taking it slow, marking enemies and flanking, but no, people are too busy recording their sick skillz for their Youtube channels.

Daffy Duck

One more stupid question:

I take it I do not need PS+ on my US account for multiplayer if I was to play my downloaded US game on a UK account (the UK account does have PS+).

murgo

If you buy dlc from the us store you wont have problems.

Can we tweet somebody about this?

I know, yet something keeps me from creating a US account.

1v1 me 420 noscope rifle

I stopped playing TLOU MP because of this, I enjoy taking it slow, marking enemies and flanking, but no, people are too busy recording their sick skillz for their Youtube channels.

Could you elaborate please? What does "1v1 me 420 noscope rifle" mean?

Usually I like to have a physical copy, but since I already have the PS3 version I might aswell buy the digital US version, since it is only about 37€ (EU disc version would be 46€), uncut, more convenient and I would get it earlier.

It's only censored in multiplayer.
It's okay guys.
It's not like the PS3 version was any different in that regard.

The singleplayer campaign is still 100% uncensored.

Chabbles

At least its only the overated multiplayer (imo) with its awful connection/lag fest shit. 1 to 2 bar connection 90% of the time. Still shitty of sony though to not make it german only.

If your in the EU just pick it up on US psn for much cheaper, if sony wants to cut corners, do the same when it comes to paying... im getting retail, i want this on disc.

Garibaldi

Meh. It's the multiplayer. Personally, as long as the single player is uncensored I couldn't give a shit. The censorship will hardly affect the theme or atmosphere or a match.

Irregardless of whether or not you think it's a big deal or not, it's still censorship for no reason. Why censor it at all if it's not a big deal? Why not let the rating board decide if it should get a pass before deciding to not even give it a chance?

It's Sony being incredibly cheap when it comes to localisation and passing content through ratings boards.

Rafterman

Banned
Lol at all the people making this into some major event. It's multiplayer in a game that 99% of the people who buy it don't even know multiplayer exists.

But, yeah, fuck Sony for being "lazy" or whatever and not pressing an entirely new version for the 10 people who want to play TLoU MP. What are they thinking!!QQ)@#*!@

GavinUK86

Lol at all the people making this into some major event. It's multiplayer in a game that 99% of the people who buy it don't even know multiplayer exists.

But, yeah, fuck Sony for being "lazy" or whatever and not pressing an entirely new version for the 10 people who want to play TLoU MP. What are they thinking!!QQ)@#*!@

f-p.gif

hypotc

How about a Gore DLC for every other European country? I don't want to wait any longer, importing means I'd have to wait another two weeks, and I'm extremely hyped up already. Never played TLOU. :(

So many retards using Hyperbole, the gore doesn't even effect gameplay. And guess what, GAF represents only .01% of Gamers, Sony gives no fucks about your outcry.

So many retards using Hyperbole, the gore doesn't even effect gameplay. And guess what, GAF represents only .01% of Gamers, Sony gives no fucks about your outcry.

Well, let's just make it 720p, because the resolution doesn't affect gameplay.

Also, that story has to go, but it's OK, it doesn't affect gameplay.

Also, all the characters are now wireframe models, but it doesn't affect gameplay.

How's that for hyperbole?

Haha all the blind hate for Germany, when Sony did the censoring themselves without even trying to get the uncensored rated.

Games like Gears of War 3 or Sniper Elite 3 are uncensored in Germany these days. It's definitely not that strict anymore regarding violence.

Top Bottom