• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Remastered censored in all countries in Europe

Germany_240-animated-flag-gifs.gif

I think this is more to do with German law (probably a few other countries too), and the fact that they can't distribute the a censored version just for Germany and a seperate uncensored one for the rest of Europe without a largely increased cost. The only other option is to not sell the game in Germany, but they amount of sales lost is not what they want, so it is more cost effective to do it this way and censor all of Europe.

Obviously everyone doesn't like this but that is an issue with physical copies. I don't see a reason for this to be the case digitally unless they want some form of parity with physical, which seems.. annoying

Even THQ (RIP) made the decision to only censor Saints Row The Third in Germany and give them a separate version so all other countries in Europe can get it uncensored. If a company at near bankruptcy is willing to do it, there really is no excuse for Sony to do something like this.

What people don't know is that Merkel herself called Sony HQ and demanded a violence parity clause all across Europe. Sony isn't at fault.

Melchiah

If everyone did this, I think it would be quite an effective way to communicate the nature and impact of the issue to Sony.

Massively lop-sided sales in the US's favour would be indisputable.

I think I'll have to vote with my wallet, and buy the digital version from the US store to boycott this kind of bullshit censorship. I'd have preferred a physical version, but I'm not willing to wait for days to get the game delivered.
EDIT: Plus, there's a toll fee for anything bought from outside of EU, that costs over 22€ I think.

A couple of questions...
I guess I have to buy those PSN credit coupons from Amazon US?
Can I play the game on my EU account, in order to get the trophies added to my list?

I think I'll have to vote with my wallet, and buy the digital version from the US store to boycott this kind of bullshit censorship. I'd have preferred a physical version, but I'm not willing to wait for days to get the game delivered.
EDIT: Plus, there's a toll fee for anything bought from outside of EU, that costs over 22€ I think.

A couple of questions...
I guess I have to buy those PSN credit coupons from Amazon US?
Can I play the game on my EU account, in order to get the trophies added to my list?
Yes and yes

garyBig

If you buy the US version, can you still play online with everyone or only with those who have the same uncut version? I think there was some title where you were tied to the specific gore...level of your copy.

Melchiah

Yes and yes

Thanks. Digital US version it is then.

It pisses me off to be forced to do this, and to abandon the retail version, but at least I already have the Joel edition for the PS3.

EDIT:
If you buy the US version, can you still play online with everyone or only with those who have the same uncut version? I think there was some title where you were tied to the specific gore...level of your copy.

I'd like to know how this is as well.

TrueGrime

Sony's own thing. There is no reason to censor a PEGI 18 rated game outside Germany. All other game publishers release a separate version in Germany if needed, like Wolfenstein The New Order that got its own naziless version there.

I didn't even know this. Watching a video right now about it.

Nokterian

Sony's own thing. There is no reason to censor a PEGI 18 rated game outside Germany. All other game publishers release a separate version in Germany if needed, like Wolfenstein The New Order that got its own naziless version there.

This right here Sony needs to stop with this. It's complete bullcrap. I do hope there reading this because outside germany never and ever no other game i played is censored.

I do have a question do need to make a another PSN account to buy the US version digital?

I do have a question do need to make a another PSN account to buy the US version digital?

Yes, you must make a new PSN account. When you are asked for your country, choose United States. Add the new PSN account as a new user on your PS4 to use it. Games bought with this account can also be played on your real PSN account as games are shared across all users on the console.

To buy games, you must buy American PSN prepaid cards. Most people are using Amazon.com to get emailed codes, but you must make up a fake address to buy.

Nokterian

Yes, you must make a new PSN account. When you are asked for your country, choose United States. Add the new PSN account as a new user on your PS4 to use it. Games bought with this account can also be played on your real PSN account as games are shared across all users on the console.

To buy games, you must buy American PSN prepaid cards. Most people are using Amazon.com to get emailed codes, but you must make up a fake address to buy.

Can i use the same e-mail also or do i need to make it with a different one? And i have a amazon account with a fake address.

Really tempted to either import the American version or buy the digital version off the US store. I hate censorship and already have the original European PS3 version so the uncensored version for my PS4 would be nice.

Just worried about the file size if I go digital as my internet is uncapped but not all that fast and I know the game will probably be close to 50GB

All done so i don't have to make the second account as primaire right? That is mine EU main account.

You just need to have both accounts activated on the same PS4. When you start the download while logged in to the US account, you can go back to your main EU account to play.

Nokterian

You just need to have both accounts activated on the same PS4. When you start the download while logged in to the US account, you can go back to your main EU account to play.

All right thanks,going to buy PSN 50 bucks code on amazon when i have money then pre ordering it digital on the us psn store! :) Another reason why i love the dollar because for us in the eu it's cheap.

HowZatOZ

Banned
But the gore wasn't that bad to begin with...why censor it? Hell, I swear my original copy in Australia wasn't censored, so why lump us into the category?

oti

Banned
.[/QUOTE]

No thanks, I don't need this.
I don't like that the USK tells people what's ok for them and what's over the line. I personally don't care that much though and absolutely don't need this level of gore. TLoU multiplayer is just as magnificent without it.

Respawn

Banned
Your lust for blood op has you so angry you will skip a game like this? I would get it if Ellie wore shorts and they put her in a dress. Give me a break. Get the US version then... sheesh.

f@luS

More than a member.
Glad i ordered a 50$ digital psn card on amazon. Preordered last of us for 40€ :) cheapest ans best version

GRaider81

Censorship always sucks but really it's a minor thing which won't affect my purchase.

You can easily get US versions should you have a desire to see decapitations anyway.

Twinduct

So while we have this thread and it's somewhat relevant.
What's the easiest way to buy on the US PSN store without going the network codes route?

If the network codes is the easiest, any place you guys can recommend?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Buy it from US. It's cheaper and region free. Sucks about the censorship in UK but that's their stupid rating system.

The fault here lies entirely with Sony being overzealous and not wanting to create a German-specific SKU.

Varth

Can't believe people are making this big of a deal over a kill animation in multiplayer. It's not like it's a censorship issue, and please don't throw around "artistic integrity" for stuff like that (or Criminal Girls and such). It just muddles up the water making it difficult to stand up for real issues should they arise.

jimi_dini

olNt0a7.gif

Fucking censorship and fucking Sony for not just releasing it uncensored everywhere else but fucking Merkel-town.

Boooohh this flag

That's the censored UK version. Not the US version.

The fault here lies entirely with Sony being overzealous and not wanting to create a German-specific SKU.

That's the funny thing. There actually is a separate Germany-specific SKU. The UK version does not feature German subtitles. The version released in Germany features German subtitles and even has a German dub, which are both missing everywhere else.

JaseC

[That's the funny thing. There actually is a separate Germany-specific SKU. The UK version does not feature German subtitles. The version released in Germany features German subtitles and even has a German dub, which are both missing everywhere else.

That's baffling and means there is literally no reason why the game is censored elsewhere in Europe (even Germany is arguable).

Melchiah

How does that work exactly? I mean, I have to make up a fake address, but I'm paying it with a debit card that's assigned to a different address. Or can I just buy it as a gift to the made-up US resident? These might be stupid questions, but I've never done this before. =)

Melchiah

really needed another thread to post this?...pretty sure this has been known forever...which is why I went with the US version

Yes, an independent thread works better for those interested in buying the US version, as all the information can be easily missed on the larger and more fast-moving thread.

JaseC

really needed another thread to post this?...pretty sure this has been known forever...which is why I went with the US version

It was confirmed in the comments section of a PS Blog post weeks ago but the news evidently flew under the radar.

Autofokus

That's baffling and means there is literally no reason why the game is censored elsewhere in Europe (even Germany is arguable).

Not only that (and I can confirm what jimi_dini said, there are a few different european SKUs), it would be no problem for sony to offer at least an uncut version digitally, they are all separated by country.

Top Bottom