• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Remastered. Joel stuttering when I move forward

Eiknarf

Banned
What’s going on with this game?
As you may or may not know, I’m new to the PS4. Had a standard used machine and played THE LAST OF US just fine... but that machine recently died. I bought a PS4 Pro. Now I’m playing The Last of Us again - but every time I move forward with Joel, he stutters, as if he’s bumping into something. This moving forward issue doesn’t happen with any of my other six PlayStation games. So it can’t be my controller, can it?

Last edited:

Shifty

This moving forward issue doesn’t happen with any of my other six PlayStation games. So it can’t be my controller, can it?
That all depends on how the deadzones (and other analog parameters) are configured for a given game.

Best way to test is to find another DS4 or plug in a generic wired PC pad (if last of us supports that- again, varies by game...) and see if the same thing happens.

Or failing that, hook the DS4 up to a PC and use the USB Game Controllers panel to test its output for any weird or unexpected behaviour.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
That all depends on how the deadzones (and other analog parameters) are configured for a given game.

Best way to test is to find another DS4 or plug in a generic wired PC pad (if last of us supports that- again, varies by game...) and see if the same thing happens.

Or failing that, hook the DS4 up to a PC and use the USB Game Controllers panel to test its output for any weird or unexpected behaviour.

Ok
It’s funny because since my original post, I’ve found tons of people saying “ITS NOT THE CONTROLLER”. They’re saying “Naughty Dog needs to update a fix but haven’t”
That said, I called GameStop, the video game retailer, and they said “There’s no way it’s the controller if it’s working with all your other games. So I just hung up with Sony Support and they don’t know about it (which I find hard to believe) and had me do a Safe Mode base reset or something. That didn’t work

Shifty

Ok
It’s funny because since my original post, I’ve found tons of people saying “ITS NOT THE CONTROLLER”. They’re saying “Naughty Dog needs to update a fix but haven’t”
That said, I called GameStop, the video game retailer, and they said “There’s no way it’s the controller if it’s working with all your other games. So I just hung up with Sony Support and they don’t know about it (which I find hard to believe) and had me do a Safe Mode base reset or something. That didn’t work
My stance would be to not trust a gamespot / sony support person who just wants you to get off the line unless the fix is trivial :messenger_winking:

Seize the inforrmation for yourself to be certain.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Never experienced this. Please update us of you find a fix eventually as I would like to know what to do if I ever experience this.

Aintitcool

Banned
This user in the above posting link seems to have fixed it this way

"
opzk_m-h_bomber commented · April 27, 2018 7:39 AM · Flag as inappropriate
I found a good way to fix this problem in a way that should make the game easier to play.
Go to options in game and flip the sticks
Then go to settings in psn menu, accessibility, button assignment and then switch the left and right stick
This will let you play the game using your normal controls but trick the game into thinking that you using the right stick to move. It fixed it for me
"
So it definitely sounds like an update issue.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Ok
bcf.png

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
This user in the above posting link seems to have fixed it this way

So it definitely sounds like an update issue.

Yeah I read that one over at Naughty Dog and thought the same thing; gotta be a glitch on their end and not the controller (especially because so many people ads effected by this. Do folks really think 50% of TLOU owners have faulty new controllers?)

But it seems like an easy thing for Sony or Naughty Dog to Fix with a newer update. So why aren’t they?

Last edited:

scalman

never had a problem and my controller have problem with R3 as running in most games its works or its not , but with TLOU no problems at all.
still could be controller . test your console with other controller and it will be clear where is problem.
do you using Supersamling and Boost modes ?

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its the controller. Its just a problem that manifests itself only in certain games.

I guarantee you, try a different controller and your problems will vanish unless that too has the same issue.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Its the controller. Its just a problem that manifests itself only in certain games.

I guarantee you, try a different controller and your problems will vanish unless that too has the same issue.

So it sounds like it’s a controller issue blended with a game issue, BECAUSE it’s only that game (TLOU)

So you’re saying the developers of TLOU made the requirement of the L3 analog stick needing to be pushed FURTHER FORWARD than the plastic encasing of the controller allows it, right?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So it sounds like it’s a controller issue blended with a game issue, BECAUSE it’s only that game (TLOU)

So you’re saying the developers of TLOU made the requirement of the L3 analog stick needing to be pushed FURTHER FORWARD than the plastic encasing of the controller allows it, right?

Its not just that game, my affected controller also manifests issues playing the latest COD, specifically the click to run option doesn't work reliably.

If you want proof, use the system level option to switch the left and right analog sticks. Again, you'll likely see the issue vanish. Because its purely a mechanical issue with the controller, specifically the push-in mechanism on the stick.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
i had the same issue and it was the controller, i tried the method shown below and it worked like a charm

Ahhhh

But still

I (we, because there’s a ton of us) shouldn’t have to do that just to play my game. This is a $450 machine. Should not have to worry about something like that after decades of consoles and their controller/joysticks have been made going back to pong in the 1970s

Eiknarf

Banned
I’m at GameStop now, and they’re connecting my controller to a “dead zone reader”. So I can see that there’s no issue with the forward movement on the L3. Yet I can’t move forward with Joel in TLOU. So what the hell!?!

Last edited:
Top Bottom