• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Been trying to figure out who Joel sounds like, and finally figured he sounds like Rick from the Walking dead to me.
Edit: sometimes he does haha

Beatrix

Just wanted to share with those who are trying to max out supplements for Joel, on easier difficulties there are more pills and parts around. In normal mode there's way more pills and parts around compared to hard and grounded mode.

After about 8 hours I think I'm coming to the end, or at least the last 15%. Amazing, wonderful, and beautiful are the only way I can describe it. It's been a joy to play it so far

How far are you? Because at eight hours, from my time with it, you're about halfway done, but still not close enough to the finish.

(Don't forget to spoiler tag where you are)

Picked up the game today, never played it on PS3. Just finished the
train station
bit after meeting Ellie. Not disappointed, but not too impressed yet. I hear the game gets tremendously better a few hours in though, so I'll keep on truckin'.

Game looks damn good, though. I'm not much of a graphics stickler, but I do appreciate 60FPS games. Switched to 30FPS for a bit before having a hearty chuckle and switched back to 60.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So, my friend asked me how I could take over his PS4 system to get him past a spot he's stuck on and it dawned on me: That feature was advertised at the reveal and never brought up since.

We can't do that on PS4 yet, can we?

It is there as far as I know, developers have to actually use it though. Unfortunately Sony continue to make these sorts of things optional which means developers generally ignore it given the chance.

Gurish

Finished Left Behind on Grounded. That last encounter was the most intense shit out of the entire game (including the main game). Heart was racing the entire time.

Good stuff.

Guess I should move on to Grounded+ now but I don't know if I can take it right now... This game leaves me heartbroken everytime :(

Yea it's one of the hardest parts in the entire game, i struggled a lot on Hard, have no idea how you managed to beat it on Grounded, especially being alone with no partner to help, seems impossible.

Hubb

When I click on concept art from the ingame menu I'm told to access them through the bonuses menu located on the main menu. The problem is there is no bonuses menu on the main menu. Is it locked until the main game is complete or is this a known issue? Because I don't remember it working that way on PS3.

Since I don't think anyone answered you I finally took a break to figure this out.

From Main Menu go > TLoU > Bonuses > Unlocks > Concept Art > Buy what you want > back out to Bonus menu > Gallery > Concept Art > Pick what you want and if you only have one bought just press X and it'll open the one you bought.

The motion blur was shutter adjusted for 60fps and it doesn't change back when you enable 30 so at 30fps there is actually a lot less motion blur.

Yea, this is what I've been trying to get at.

Most other 30FPS games don't have motion blur either. In fact TLOU:R has some motion blur, so the game would have appear even less smooth at 30FPS if it didn't have any. Your complaint is indigenous though, as so many 30FPS games have no motion blur at all, and you're making it sound like every single one has it.

Bottomline is, It IS your brain needing to adjust. Play for 10 minutes or so at 30FPS and you'll see how much more natural it seems, it will be like majority of other 30FPS games you played - and even better as it never drops a frame below 30 like 99% of 30FPS games on PS360 did. Although then when you switch back to 60, it will feel like your brain is being overwhelmed with smoothness. It's a completely normal thing, I don't understand why you're trying to deny it.

I just popped in Dark Souls for the PS3. I've recently played GTAV for the PS3. Infamous: SS had a 30 FPS cap option. None of those games looked like TLoU:R at the 30 FPS cap. I play on my PC with variable framerates all the time, some games like Arma III only get around 35 FPS, DmC was 60 FPS, Dark Souls II is 60 FPS.

I completely understand that TLoU:R is running at 30 FPS when capped, but I'm telling you, and it's not just me, there is something missing from it that is creating a level of "jank" that didn't exist in the PS3 version, which ran at sub 30 FPS for a lot of the time. People are saying it's the motion blur stutter not adjusting to 30 FPS, like above, and that seems to be the most logical conclusion without actually talking to someone from Naughty Dog.

I'm not shitting on the game, The Last of Us is the best game I've ever played. But the Remaster has some issues, which I don't even fault Naughty Dog for.

R3TRODYCE

Just made it to fall. I loved it on PS3 but I'm liking it a lot more on PS4 since I know exactly where to go most of the times ;D.

This game is a drug. The only thing I think about at work is getting back home and killing me some infected. I have not felt this rush since RE4 and SOTC. It is literally haunting...

Hubb

Why does matchmaking take so long for Factions? I love the MP a lot, but it takes so long to get a match.

If it takes more than a minute or two I've had good luck backing out and requeueing. For whatever reason it seems to work.

Interrogation seems to be the one that finds a group at a quicker rate in my experience.

HT UK

The best thing for me about replaying this on PS4, is that I get to use my Pulse Elite headset this time. It's one of the few times I've actually liked the 'Bass Impact' effect.

Voorhees

If I recall correctly, you have like 8 enemies, first batch, then 6 more ennemies respawn.
4 of them respawning behind the buses, north of the arena : 2 behind the bus on the right, the other two behind the left bus. The two others near where Elie is.
I started by going right,
dispatching stealthily the enemy with a Molotov, continuing with the one on the ground floor of the next building, then backtracked, went up the stairs, killed the "sniper", grabbed the arrow, shot it at the guy right beneath that building, went to the other side, took out the enemy, then to the middle section, and finally the guy up front. After that, I went north (the group of newly spawned enemy won’t move, and the one near Elie wont spawn now cause I'm there when I kill the last enemy) somehow the arrow I shot earlier didn’t break, so I killed one of the enemies near the left bus from the snipers spot, the others started to move, I killed them with a Molotov and shot the last two that spawn near Elie with her help.
Hope this helps if that's not too confusing :).

This is why i love this game. So many routes. I just finished that section on Grounded last night. Here was my route.

I went right, then up the stairs, thru the building to the second floor of the back right building. Killed the guy on the scaffold behind the cover. Dropped down behind trucks. Took out the guy waking closest as he moved to the left building. Then took out the next guy walking out. Then the guy in the center, then moved to the fast food place and took out that guy behind the counter. Got the Firefly note in the cooler then moved to the front right building and got the molotov guy. Then crept to the beginning and got the last guy. Then back up to the second floor scaffolding so the last wave spawns. Sniped the molotov guy and the guy in front of him, then set up behind the cover on top of the big truck and let them come to me while Ellie picked them off.

train station
bit after meeting Ellie. Not disappointed, but not too impressed yet. I hear the game gets tremendously better a few hours in though, so I'll keep on truckin'.

My original thoughts on the story never really changed until the last 20% of the game. Then it gets some narrative/storytelling daring, which differentiates it from Zombie Apocalypse 101. I still have serious issues with the story, but the final arc is phenomenal.

Melfice7

For those who played the ps3 version quite a lot and loved it, would you say getting the ps4 version is worth it?

Extra performance and graphical improvements noticeable?

Finished the ps3 version 3 times and played about 5000 online matches and i'll say..

ABSOLUTELY

IndustryX

train station

Game looks damn good, though. I'm not much of a graphics stickler, but I do appreciate 60FPS games. Switched to 30FPS for a bit before having a hearty chuckle and switched back to 60.

You've barely scratched the surface, the game gets exponentially better.. enjoy the ride, wish I could experience it for the first time again!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
For those who played the ps3 version quite a lot and loved it, would you say getting the ps4 version is worth it?

Extra performance and graphical improvements noticeable?
I've played it through 4 times on PS3 and once on PS4. My Remastered playthrough was the closest to experiencing it again for the first time. There's a couple niggling issues but overall the added clarity, smoothness, and performance makes the game significantly more immersive and lifelike than it already was.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
If I recall correctly, you have like 8 enemies, first batch, then 6 more ennemies respawn.
4 of them respawning behind the buses, north of the arena : 2 behind the bus on the right, the other two behind the left bus. The two others near where Elie is.
Hope this helps if that's not too confusing :).
ha,i also did that section today, took me a while too and in the end i resorted to ai abuse as well.
i managed to take out the 1st set of guys completely stealthy, then the second set spawns and (usually?) doesn´t move until you throw a bottle or fire a gun.
off the top of my head:
first went left behind a car to the left and waited for the 3 guys´ conversation to end. 1st guy walks right past the car and you can take him out right there. 2nd guy is in the bank to the left and can be taken out behind the counter. then go back again (past ellie´s hideout) to the coffee shop (hide behind counter). 3rd guy comes down the stairs and can be taken out when he passes the counter. 4th guy is the one in the other shop, he comes into the alley for a bit and can be taken out on his way back into the store back-room. 5th guy is the sniper up top, can be taken out right at the corner of the walkway. 6th is the one that patrols between sandwich shop and bank, 7th the one in the center of the plaza. that´s the first set.
2nd set should be 4 guys spawning in their hideout (i placed a nail bomb at the entrance and shot one of them with an arrow from the balcony to set them off), and 2 each at both ends of the road that runs through in front of ellie´s hideout. used a combination of brick, bow and ellie to finish them.
Thanks y'all. I took the route from the initial left hand car, bank, back around to the cafe with the stairs, into the fast food restaurant near the front entrance, back to the sentry so he couldn't see me take down the next two (the previous 4 were all indoors or really far away [the initial one]), then to the guy near the buses, then finally the center guy. Somehow I got just enough for a molotov and lined up a bow shot and set up before the AI behind the bus initiated. Took the shot, waited for them to funnel, and got all 3 of them with one Molotov. Then the 4 (two on either side of the street where Ellie is) and the rest of it was just easy.

Grounded mode is so fun. I've actually learned the Melee ranges and timing.

Ellie sounds like she's in her 20s so far (I'm 5 hours in). Joel's voice is great though; not a hint of Kanji seeping in unlike with Booker's voice in BI.

Thats something that always bugged me - Ellie sounds way older than she is. Everytime she talks i never get the impression of a 14 year old girl.

I picked this yesterday. I always knew I wanted to play this game so I went in basically blind, which is awesome. All I knew was that it was some sort of apocalypse with characters named Joel and Ellie. That's literally all I knew before starting. So far I am loving this though. Great story telling so far, great animations and fantastic environments.

I do have one complaint though, and it's not necessarily the game's fault. When running it at 60fps my PS4's fan sounds like an original Xbox 360... It's really hard to get immersed in the game when it sounds like there's a freaking jet engine trying to land in my living room. Luckily, locking at 30fps causes the fan noise to be quieter.

Just met up with Ellie, so now the game really starts I'm sure. :)

I picked this yesterday. I always knew I wanted to play this game so I went in basically blind, which is awesome. All I knew was that it was some sort of apocalypse with characters named Joel and Ellie. That's literally all I knew before starting. So far I am loving this though. Great story telling so far, great animations and fantastic environments.

I do have one complaint though, and it's not necessarily the game's fault. When running it at 60fps my PS4's fan sounds like an original Xbox 360... It's really hard to get immersed in the game when it sounds like there's a freaking jet engine trying to land in my living room. Luckily, locking at 30fps causes the fan noise to be quieter.

Just met up with Ellie, so now the game really starts I'm sure. :)

Don't suffer 30 when you can play 60, grab some headphones. It adds to the experience too. Playing this with my pulse elites with the The Last of Us sound profile is just awesome.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Random question but should I go for the Pulse Elites or Sony Golds?
I have the Elites and I love them but I've heard great things about the Golds. Elites have some build issues and can be uncomfortable if you don't get a pad for them. Remember to use the App setting presets.

I think this is the best looking game I've ever seen, and I've got a 780 in my PC. But ND's artists just went above and beyond here. It feels like every corner of every room and courtyard and rooftop was so painstakingly hand crafted, there's so much to see. The artistic skill (and the BUDGET) that went into this game, man.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think this is the best looking game I've ever seen, and I've got a 780 in my PC. But ND's artists just went above and beyond here. It feels like every corner of every room and courtyard and rooftop was hand crafted, there's so much to see. The artistic skill (and the BUDGET) that went into this game, man.
That's the thing that gets me about this game every time. There's so much unique artistic detail and every room feels like it has a rich history and a story to tell. Given how hard they were hitting RAM limits with this game on PS3, I can't wait to see what their artists and animators can do from the ground up on PS4.

I just finished Left Behind. In some ways I liked it more than the main game, but I wish it would have been longer.
They had another hour of material easy. Riley dieing, Ellie killing her, Ellie trying to kill herself and deciding to push on, and finding Marlene.
It felt like it was cut short. All in all it was pretty good though.

The only nitpick I had was Ellie's hands got frostbite and she died of Hypothermia. You can't just let your hands dip into frozen water in freezing weather and not get frostbite.

NIGHT-

Limited, all TV's expect limited by default. Full is a PC setting that most modern TV's will accept also. You do need to check that your TV does accurately display full even if the tv accepts it as some just expand the limited range so therefore you may see colour banding.

Even though my Sony TV accepts full that mode gave me washed out colours and too bright an image in this particular game for some reason Limited gives me the correct image output.

Any idea what a panny plasma should use?

StuBurns

Banned
Finished Left Behind, first time around I thought the first half felt pretty slow, but this time I enjoyed it more. It's still not the quality of the main game for me, but it's really fantastic.

18 hrs first time through. Once I realized that the companions wait for you to scavenge shit (at around 4 hrs in), I really started exploring every nook and cranny.

Does the game count photo mode for time played?

I'm 8hrs 21min halfway through Pittsberg.

Just want to compare to my PS3 completion times. Definitely taking a slower pace this time. But I play strictly melee. Going to do a run through online soon.

Only when required do I use guns like bloaters and scripted scenes.

Moofers

This game is a drug. The only thing I think about at work is getting back home and killing me some infected. I have not felt this rush since RE4 and SOTC. It is literally haunting...
I feel the same way. I obsessed over this game last year and took a 6 month break knowing I'd get the ps4 version later. Now that I am playing again, it's like the only game I'm interested in. I have like 5 other games I'd be interested in buying before the year is over, but I honestly don't feel the need for them. The campaign is so replayable and the multiplayer has me hooked like I haven't been since Gears of War in 2006.

I remember buying Zelda OOT in 98 or so and not needing another game for like half a year. That's totally happening again with this game.

Padinn

I just beat it - couldn't stop playing and its my first time through.

Truly an amazing experience. If you are on the fence, get it - now :)

I liked the ending a great deal.

I love the many small details of the flashlight.

Shining in someones face and they look away, shine it on something orange and the surrounding area illuminates orange.

This is my 5th playthrough now (4 on PS3) and it's almost as incredible as it was the first time through.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Finished my first play-through today. Gawd damn game lives up to the hype! I guess I'll start Left Behind tonight.

What's going on here:

SUAvsiP.png

EDIT: It's IGN's wiki, by the way. Only the main page seems to be like that. Anonymous has really struck IGN where it hurts. The main wiki page of a single game.

Top Bottom