• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

I just followed you. (Barnaby Jones @SIMFA_GAF)

Followed back!

giphy.gif

Thanks for telling me it was a spoiler, dude. All I saw was two girls jumping up and down..

And what do you see now?

I wouldn't worry about it, seriously. I'm the type of person who is extremely sensitive to spoilers, and I wouldn't call that GIF a spoiler. To me, that would be the same as posting a GIF/screenshot of Joel and Tess together. There is zero context to that GIF.

antitrop

And what do you see now?

I wouldn't worry about it, seriously. I'm the type of person who is extremely sensitive to spoilers, and I wouldn't call that GIF a spoiler. To me, that would be the same as posting a GIF/screenshot of Joel and Tess together. There is zero context to that GIF.

It seems to me like the only people complaining about spoilers are the ones that have already played the game, which always rubs me the wrong way. I'm not very respective of spoiler culture, in general, I think people take it way too far.

I'm really sad the dlc isn't folded into the game appropriately.. one of the better decisions Human Revolution DC made.

Ah well.

As others have explained, it wouldn't work to fold it in to the game. (Major Left Behind and TLoU main game spoilers ahead)
A big part of the Winter shift is wondering whether or not Joel is alive. If the DLC were folded into the game then you'd know the answer right away and there'd be no mystery about that part since LB takes place during the Fall to Winter transition. It'd also obviously spoil the fact that Ellie is infected.

antitrop

Word. Im bouncing between Earthbound and Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Got Lunar: Silver Star on the way too. No way I'll finish any of them before Tuesday, but it's plenty to keep me occupied.

Lunar: Silver Star Story is hard as fuck at the end, total grind-a-thon. Save it for last. Or at least Silver Star Story Complete on PS1 was, that's the only version I've played.

Amazing game, though!

It seems to me like the only people complaining about spoilers are the ones that have already played the game, which always rubs me the wrong way. I'm not very respective of spoiler culture, in general, I think people take it way too far.

Oh, I think I misunderstood your comment. I thought you were sarcastically thanking him for spoiling the game for you. Which is why I asked what you saw different about the GIF. Silly me.

Also, what do you mean by the part I bolded?

Andrew.

Banned
Lunar: Silver Star Story is hard as fuck at the end, total grind-a-thon. Save it for last. Or at least Silver Star Story Complete on PS1 was, that's the only version I've played.

Amazing game, though!

Yeah I know. Its SS Complete though which I dont think is any different from the Sega CD version in terms of difficulty. The hang up in that game is the fact that all enemies level up with you, so the game doesnt get easier whatsoever the stronger you get. Its tough as balls for sure, but it's such a great looking and fun game though for a good while. I havent played it for 15 years so we will see. I'll be using a guide so hopefully that will help a bit.

antitrop

Oh, I think I misunderstood your comment. I thought you were sarcastically thanking him for spoiling the game for you. Which is why I asked what you saw different about the GIF. Silly me.

Also, what do you mean by the part I bolded?
I think that people who are trying to avoid spoilers would better serve themselves by just removing themselves from the conversation. Like Raptor did.

It's often baffling to see people who are far more sensitive to spoilers than most begrudgingly stick around for page after page of discussion, just complaining about spoilers.

I'm just talking specifically about people that freak out at every little minor detail as if it was an ending spoiler. I'm also just speaking in general, not about this thread. I see it happen all the time.

Now I'm complaining about people complaining about spoilers, this has gotten too meta for me.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020364/Ellie-Buddy-AI-in-The

^^ Great video about some of the decisions they made when it came to the AI for the Last of Us. Very interesting watch.

Great video sir, really good watch!

He talked about other panels available at the end, the one the art director gave called ART DIRECTION: MORE THAN JUST DOING A SEARCH ON GOOGLE. Is that one available somewhere, couldn't find it on the site.

Hubb

As others have explained, it wouldn't work to fold it in to the game. (Major Left Behind and TLoU main game spoilers ahead)
A big part of the Winter shift is wondering whether or not Joel is alive. If the DLC were folded into the game then you'd know the answer right away and there'd be no mystery about that part since LB takes place during the Fall to Winter transition. It'd also obviously spoil the fact that Ellie is infected.

Great post on why it shouldn't be folded into the main story. I actually didn't think about it that way, but it makes a ton of sense now.

Keep forgetting there will be people playing it for the first time.

JaseMath

Legit question
Why is playing with listen mode OFF a better experience? Wouldn't it turn every encounter into a guessing game as to where the bad guys are?

Just asking as to prep for my second play through.

antitrop

Legit question
Why is playing with listen mode OFF a better experience? Wouldn't it turn every encounter into a guessing game as to where the bad guys are?

The game is designed well enough to give you contextual, aural, and environmental cues to feel out the location of the enemies with your own senses and perception. It builds masterful amounts of tension.

Other games would use Listen Mode as a crutch, because they aren't designed well enough, The Last of Us just includes it as an optional cheat feature.

MattyG

Banned
I really want to play TLOU right now, but I don't want to play the PS3 version right now and not care when I get Remastered. No progress carries over, correct?

Andrew.

Banned
The game is designed well enough to give you contextual, aural, and environmental cues to feel out the location of the enemies with your own senses and perception.

Other games would use Listen Mode as a crutch, because they aren't designed well enough, The Last of Us just includes it as an optional cheat feature.

Pretty much this.

That ambient humming build up is really all you need to know if you're getting to close to alerting someone or something.

Listen mode also arguably kills a large chunk of tension which is such a massive part of the whole experience when approaching a possible combat situation. I've never used it and never will.

I've always viewed it as either training wheels, or *gasp* "Pussy Mode"

I think that people who are trying to avoid spoilers would better serve themselves by just removing themselves from the conversation. Like Raptor did.

It's often baffling to see people who are far more sensitive to spoilers than most begrudgingly stick around for page after page of discussion, just complaining about spoilers.

I'm just talking specifically about people that freak out at every little minor detail as if it was an ending spoiler. I'm also just speaking in general, not about this thread. I see it happen all the time.

Now I'm complaining about people complaining about spoilers, this has gotten too meta for me.

I couldn't agree more. Frankly, I don;t understand why anyone who hasn't played this game yet would be in this thread, or any other TLOUR thread/article on the internet.

i've got 4 friends who never played it who have PS4s and are planning on getting it, and they've been hearing me say it's basically the greatest thing ever created for a year now. i'm prepared for at least two of them to call me a dick next week. whatever

I actually agree that TLOU is the GOTG for the PS360 era, but I also have friends who played it who really liked it but don't feel the same way. Anyway coming into it thinking "no matter how high your expectations, it's basically impossible to be disappointed"... will almost certainly be disappointed.

Legit question

But isn't that the way it would really be? You basically become dependent on all the other cues the game has built for you, including listening to their audio, finding good vantage positions to map them out, and... risk. Risk is an essential component of any stealth encounter, as risk is essentially the main emotion you're trying to conjure in the player. So there is some gambling involved... which makes it awesome.

I don't think having listen mode off/hard mode is necessarily the definitive way to first experience the game though, contrary to popular thread belief. Some people are going to find that difficult and alienating on 1st playthrough, so it will depend on the individual player to some degree.

KorrZ

The game is designed well enough to give you contextual, aural, and environmental cues to feel out the location of the enemies with your own senses and perception. It builds masterful amounts of tension.

Couldn't have described it better myself. I turned off Listen Mode before even starting my first play through and I believe the game was 1000x better for it.

There is no real reason to use Listen Mode in this game - it was pretty much entirely made as a crutch for "casuals"

Legit question

Because being able to see your enemies exact positions through walls, in real time, is pretty fucking cheating, imo.

And because of this.

Andrew.

Banned
Wasn't Listen Mode added in late in the dev process after all of the outcries of not knowing where enemies were?

It's like "Uh, yeah dude that's the whole point."

You're an Average Joe(l), not a member of the XMen.

GavinUK86

Legit question

Because wall hax.

I played it through the first time on Normal with it on and it felt fine. Second playthrough on Hard was far, far better with it turnt off. Like people said, without it, it creates a better atmosphere.

Wasn't Listen Mode added in late in the dev process after all of the outcries of not knowing where enemies were?

Yeah. That had focus test's late in development and a common complaint was players kept getting killed by an enemy off screen that they never knew was there lol. Idiots.

Gray Matter

I think you might be right, I remember naughty dog talking about listen mode the first time they showed the game publicly, but there wasn't any footage of it actually being used. Just description from the media.

It really stands out how OP listen mode is when you play Multiplayer.

Lol, exactly. At the very least it should have been a small sound wave effect/visually indicator coming from the general area of the enemy, not a completely outline of their real time position. Thank goodness it's optional.

Pretty much this.

That ambient humming build up is really all you need to know if you're getting to close to alerting someone or something.

Listen mode also arguably kills a large chunk of tension which is such a massive part of the whole experience when approaching a possible combat situation. I've never used it and never will.

I've always viewed it as either training wheels, or *gasp* "Pussy Mode"

giphy.gif

I'll admit I'm a little dissapointed after seeing the new footage. I was hoping for something more akin to the Tomb Raider remaster. Oh well...I'm really only in it to get back into the excellent multiplayer

Andrew.

Banned
LEGO movie gif

Haha. I know it sounds a little harsh, but it's such a large crutch that I just don't see any other way to describe it.

Im sure someone can come up with a better analogy but I see it equivalent to something like infinite bullet time in Max Payne or a GPS/arrow pointing out every single green star or star coin in a Mario game.

Skele7on

Banned
If this game wins back to back GOTY I will be disappointed by 2014 developers everywhere.

But with the actual lack of games, I really think it has a great chance

TLOU vs Destiny vs Evolve

Top Bottom