• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

BFIB

1235047774_champagne.gif
This game is more like this:

giphy.gif

Are we sure those WiiU impressions about the framerate being worse isn't a result from pirating the game onto their USB/SD card something? They had a Switch version to compare it?

Nah it runs like any digital version of the game. It installed onto the Wii U itself's memory if you want it to.

Discomurf

yeah i'm liking the E3 lighting more here, at least in the shrines.

edit: also i don't think anything you posted was a spoiler lol... pretty sure all that was in mass e3 coverage

ya I agree ;) --- here are those same images, now hidden for those of us who don't want last years e3 coverage spoiled :p

Wii U - retail vs. e3 build

All of the interiors just seem to look brighter in the retail version versus the E3 version. I'm betting it was just a design choice, albeit probably a poor one.

Or maybe it was a trade-off they made to get some increased draw distance.

All of the interiors just seem to look brighter in the retail version versus the E3 version. I'm betting it was just a design choice, albeit probably a poor one.

Or maybe it was a trade-off they made to get some increased draw distance.
More likely a trade off, almost everything else improved

Yarbskoo

I'm also not sure what compels people to spoil the shit out of an open world game where discovery and adaptability to surprising scenarios is a core facet of moment to moment play. You're basically irreversibly undermining your own first hand experience.

Yeah, I should really stop watching these gameplay videos and gifs. I keep spoiling myself on the cool little interactions in the world.

I probably won't though. :(

With all the reports of frame drops. Sound like they made a huge ambitious game here.

Past Ocarina, I don't remember Zelda games having having too many problems in that department. I know WW HD had some with the cannons and of course the intentional for stylistic reasons.
Still I'll take some performance issues for the sake of a new type of Zelda game.

March 3 is so close...I'm temepted to buy it midnight, wish I could preload.

NewGame

Banned
I'm also not sure what compels people to spoil the shit out of an open world game where discovery and adaptability to surprising scenarios is a core facet of moment to moment play. You're basically irreversibly undermining your own first hand experience.

There's a mix of people here, it's not just one single goal

- People who want to make informed purchasing decisions
- People who are finicky 100% tech spec minded
- Nintendo have done a really poor job of explaining differences between the systems, how things will work etc
- People who specifically are interested in planning their in-game goals now eg: The first thing I want to do is tame a horse, or the first thing I want to do is go to find <zelda race> of people, where should I go?
- Others are hardcore timeline Zelda lore nerds, they want to glean as much extra information now, spoilers or not they just want to memorize, collate and probably write up 50 wiki pages
- Speed runners surprisingly enough, where to go first, what to unlock first etc
- People who have no idea what Zelda is (Savages, plebeians!) and are trying to get a feel for what the game has to offer
- People who are board and just want to watch it all unfold
- People who want to data mine so they can spoilernuke twitter/facebook/reddit/yourmother etc

If any of you are reading this and you don't fit into these categories feel free to add your case.

so with the soundtrack out there just thought id confirm something i have hated about from the main theme that everybody quickly defended saying it was just cut that way for the trailer,

spoiler i guess for the main theme music
that horrible cut about 30 secs into the song is still there in the final theme, or atleast in the track staff roll 2

duality1123

Neo Member
you know playing OOT and then Majora's mask until the BOTW comes out I just got the master sword in OOT and the first thing that gets said is

"Link... Wake up Link"

thought it was interesting that its the same line in OOT and BOTW

The Lamp

you know playing OOT and then Majora's mask until the BOTW comes out I just got the master sword in OOT and the first thing that gets said is

"Link... Wake up Link"

thought it was interesting that its the same line in OOT and BOTW

So basically BotW is a new timeline where Link doesn't wake up 7 years later, he wakes up 100 years later? lol

duality1123

Neo Member
So basically BotW is a new timeline where Link doesn't wake up 7 years later, he wakes up 100 years later? lol

I wouldn't say that. But with a lot of people believing that it is OOT link after he fails (and I'm really hoping this is the case though it could easily be another link later in the downfall timeline) it would represent a sort of 2nd chance for the Hero of Time.

I do find it a little unfair that Nintendo didn't send out copies of BoTW wii U for reviews.

I do understand that they want to get the best version out there so they can get the best reviews, but what's being reviewed isn't what the consumer is getting in the case of the Wii U and they have no idea what they would be purchasing until it launches and reviews come out then.

I do find it a little unfair that Nintendo didn't send out copies of BoTW wii U for reviews.

I do understand that they want to get the best version out there so they can get the best reviews, but what's being reviewed isn't what the consumer is getting in the case of the Wii U and they have no idea what they would be purchasing until it launches and reviews come out then.
Edge played the Wii U version as well as the Switch one.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
We're trying to reign this back to reviewer preview stuff for the game, so if you want that Wii U footage, might as well go to the Spoiler thread or the IMPRESSIONS (no spoilers) thread.

How is the Wii U footage a spoiler if people only post stuff encompassing what the previews do?

I don't know what I expected from the Kotaku article about the BotW WiiU leak. Didn't really expect so many leaked assets though honestly.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
what if the game is secretly crappola

Astral Dog

BotW is a huge open world game with heavy emphasis on constant data streaming alongside physics based gameplay. This is like...the perfect recipe for distaster with Wii U tier CPU and RAM limitations. I think some hitching and frame drops, especially during demanding scenarios, are inevitable.
And yet they somehow made it work :O

Well mostly,there is the possibility they are using more RAM from the OS if that Wii U impressions thread is true about the loading.

Top Bottom