• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Office: Final Season |OT| It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sami+

People exaggerate about Parks and Office first seasons. They're perfectly fine and entertaining while very obviously trying to find their footing. Lots of good stuff to find in both, especially the office.. Don't know why they're dubbed as unwatchable by so many.

As someone who still hasn't seen the British original, I really enjoyed it. Including the pilot.

Basketball and Diversity Day were great.

In that moment, I really wanted to try his gloopy gloopy.

Jonogunn

Why would anyone diss the first season of the office? I laughed the hardest at the first 2 episodes and its what got me hooked right away

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just make sure to skip the first season.

Even if I could make it through Season 1 of the Office without a hitch? :p

Don't skip it. My goodness. The only thing is, if you DON'T like the show during season 1, don't give up on it before watching past that season, because it gets a lot better. I still like season 1 personally (and I really liked season 1 of The Office).

Why would anyone diss the first season of the office? I laughed the hardest at the first 2 episodes and its what got me hooked right away
Seriously. There's nothing wrong with season 1. It has a bunch of the best episodes. I mean WTF. Same thing with Parks and Recreation. Only losers skip the first seasons of these shows. I mean I have a friend who always skips the first episode of Community even though it is a great episode, albeit different, but it's still great and only 22 minutes so why bother skipping it?

Wads

Banned
My favorite prank is still the where one jim sends Dwight the fax from future Dwight saying the coffee is poisoned and he tackles Stanley.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Only bad thing about season 1 was the first episode >.<
Except for the Jell-O prank. Which was, like the rest of the episode, copied from the original. But it's still the best part.

My favorite early prank was when he put Dwight's desk in the bathroom. Then calls Dwight to ask about pricing.

Seriously. There's nothing wrong with season 1. It has a bunch of the best episodes. I mean WTF. Same thing with Parks and Recreation. Only losers skip the first seasons of these shows. I mean I have a friend who always skips the first episode of Community even though it is a great episode, albeit different, but it's still great and only 22 minutes so why bother skipping it?

Yeah when a show is 22 minutes, I find the idea of skipping episodes because the show becomes something better and/or different later pretty silly.

As for the Parks Season 1 compared to Office Season 1, I'd say the first season of Parks is more different than the rest of the show than the first season of The Office is, so that may be why people recommend to stick them out or skip them. (That's a truly awful sentence, but fuck it)

Man, Pam is the worst. (I've had it on netflix while I'm editing something)

She decides she doesn't like graphic design because she's failing a class, gives up and then bitches about Jim when he's trying to do something with his life.

Sounds like my ex-girlfriend.

Sami+

Man, Pam is the worst. (I've had it on netflix while I'm editing something)

She decides she doesn't like graphic design because she's failing a class, gives up and then bitches about Jim when he's trying to do something with his life.

Sounds like my ex-girlfriend.

I felt for her, actually. While the graphic design thing was a bit rash, it's at least understandable. She's a woman who hardly knows how to operate an iPhone, and suddenly jumps into a class about Adobe. She doesn't have a clue what she's doing. It's clear that her forte is painting, and even then, she hardly gets any support from anyone who isn't Jim or Michael. She felt discouraged and gave up, and though that isn't really a good thing to do, it's something everyone does.

Regarding her problems with Jim later on, I didn't think either of them were really wrong, per se. Jim made a huge investment and took a big financial risk. He blew all of their savings on something without telling her first, travelled back and forth between cities as she was left to take care of two children alone whilst also going to work full time, and was making plans to move the entire family. He was happy, but she was miserable.

At the same time, he was also doing it for the good of his family, and it was a much better job for him. There's really an argument to be made for both sides, and the fact that she decided to fully put her faith in him and make the move in the end shows that she was willing to give up stuff for him, just like he was for her.

Jim and Pam are the best couple.

Jonogunn

Only bad thing about season 1 was the first episode >.<

Again I LOVED the first ep! It's what got me into it. Soooooo many laughs. I know it's practically a direct tip off of the original but I'm okay with it. I still found them both to be funny.

I felt for her, actually. While the graphic design thing was a bit rash, it's at least understandable. She's a woman who hardly knows how to operate an iPhone, and suddenly jumps into a class about Adobe. She doesn't have a clue what she's doing. It's clear that her forte is painting, and even then, she hardly gets any support from anyone who isn't Jim or Michael. She felt discouraged and gave up, and though that isn't really a good thing to do, it's something everyone does.

Regarding her problems with Jim later on, I didn't think either of them were really wrong, per se. Jim made a huge investment and took a big financial risk. He blew all of their savings on something without telling her first, travelled back and forth between cities as she was left to take care of two children alone whilst also going to work full time, and was making plans to move the entire family. He was happy, but she was miserable.

At the same time, he was also doing it for the good of his family, and it was a much better job for him. There's really an argument to be made for both sides, and the fact that she decided to fully put her faith in him and make the move in the end shows that she was willing to give up stuff for him, just like he was for her.

Jim and Pam are the best couple.

I could be wrong but wasn't there a whole thing where she was content with Scranton?

Jim also bought a house without telling her first.

And don't even get me started on that stupid boom mic guy.

Pam's a woman who's content with giving up when the going gets tough. If she really wanted to do art, she would've stuck around. But no, she decided to quit and then become a receptionist again.

Ugh.
Yes I'm pushing my discontent of my exgirlfriend onto a fictional character

Sami+

I could be wrong but wasn't there a whole thing where she was content with Scranton?

Jim also bought a house without telling her first.

And don't even get me started on that stupid boom mic guy.

Pam's a woman who's content with giving up when the going gets tough. If she really wanted to do art, she would've stuck around. But no, she decided to quit and then become a receptionist again.

Ugh.
Yes I'm pushing my discontent of my exgirlfriend onto a fictional character

To be fair, she never did really give up on art. She kept painting, and eventually painted a public mural all for herself. Art school didn't do it for her, but she never gave up on painting.

No defense for boom mic guy though. That was some Grade A bullshit. So forced.

TCRS

Banned
It's ogre. Just watched the last episode of my favourite comedy show that I have been watching for years. :/

It was brilliant. The feels and laughs were just right. The Office is seriously the funniest show with the most laughs/episode for me. All characters are loveable or funny and the long arch stories as well as the story of each episode were briliant. Yes, it was slow here and there but that's expected in a 9 season show.

At first I refused to watch the show after season 7 but then I realised I was being silly. I'm glad I continued watching, because S8 and S9 were again great. And seeing Michael again in the last episode :') He had two lines and they both cracked me up haha.

Oh man, I love 30 Rock, Parks&Rec etc. but the Office was a Friends-tier show for me, I just absolutely loved it. The good things is I haven't seen the earlier seasons in such a long time I can just watch them again without knowing what's going to happen. It'll be great.

Oh, and yesterday I also read that there are some webisodes or something? Gotta find them.

edit: Also seeing Bob Odenkirk and Michael Imperioli in the last couple of episodes just made it so much better. Loved all the star guests in The Office.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The last two seasons are polarizing, but I enjoyed the crap out of them. I always do. I already did a marathon after the show ended but lately I've been wanting to do another one.

So I'm re-watching from the beginning since I skipped S8/S9 and just watched the finale, but man, was Erin always this annoying? I always thought it was Pam, but Erin takes the cake.

Her complete over-reaction to Andy being engaged to someone years before they met really soured me on her character. Like, is it just bad writing? They were 3 weeks into a relationship and she's going mental over something that happened years ago. Then some how, Andy is being made out as the bad guy.

Porcile

So I'm re-watching from the beginning since I skipped S8/S9 and just watched the finale, but man, was Erin always this annoying? I always thought it was Pam, but Erin takes the cake.

Her complete over-reaction to Andy being engaged to someone years before they met really soured me on her character. Like, is it just bad writing? They were 3 weeks into a relationship and she's going mental over something that happened years ago. Then some how, Andy is being made out as the bad guy.

Erin was alright, at least until Season 8 and 9 when the entire cast became unbearable along with her.

Lamel

Banned

That was one of the stupidest plot points ever. They broke up Erin and Andy. Then had this whole fiasco of them getting back together. Then broke them back up again by making Andy go on the boat and Erin+Pete.

What the hell.

Bread

Banned
That was one of the stupidest plot points ever. They broke up Erin and Andy. Then had this whole fiasco of them getting back together. Then broke them back up again by making Andy go on the boat and Erin+Pete.

What the hell.
making andy the boss was such a stupid mistake, they didn't even know what kind of character they wanted him to be.

first he was the office douche, then a douche with anger problems, then a preppy douche, then a suck up douche...fuck i don't even want to keep listing how many arcs he had.

what a waste of a good actor.

Andy is the best! He's super positive, a lovable goofball, and his musical bits are hilarious. He's my favorite character on P&R.

Don't really care for the Andy on The Office though.

jonezer4

Yes. Contrived conflict that is disproportionate to the situation and doesn't align with the character's established identity. The show committed this act in spades in the final seasons.

studyguy

Rewatching this with my girlfriend from S1 to Final.
At the point now where Erin is playing a bigger role in the story.
Have a massive crush on that actress, no idea why.

Well, Erin was dumb with few (maybe none?) relationship experience. So her overreaction wasn't that much of a reach. Her character was too much though. How many slow people can you have on the cast?

Watching S8/9 on Netflix wasn't that bad. Compared to following it for a year at least. Andy was terrible and i wonder if they did that on purpose to please fans. They made him such a douche with a bitter sweet ending while everyone else was 100% happy. I don't get why they singled him out like that.

Guys, I'm watching S9 and I don't think I can finish it :( It's so bad. I'm only on episode 7. Is it even worth continuing? Feels like a chore watching each episode.

Feel like just skipping to the finale again lol

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I'm watching S9 and I don't think I can finish it :( It's so bad. I'm only on episode 7. Is it even worth continuing? Feels like a chore watching each episode.

Don't feel bad. I slogged through Seasons 7-9 hoping the secondary cast could fill the Michael void. Rewatching 7-9 are impossible due to the way Andy's character was completely destroyed.
He's good now! But now he's MEEEEAN! But he's happy but THIS EPISODE HE'S A JERK BUT NOW HE'S DWIGHT AND NOW HE'S MICHAEL AND UGHHHHHHHH

I can't even remember anything past Season 8 besides the finale. Felt like a fever dream.

jonezer4

That's what I would do. Honestly, if I rewatched and could somehow set aside my neurotic completionist tendencies, I'd skip from the end of season 7 (maybe a few episodes before that, when Michael leaves), to the final episode and call it a day.

If I wanted to get really particular, I'd probably watch S1-S3, the Pam/Jim wedding, S7, and the finale. I only remember the show feeling really good after Jim and Pam hooked up during Season 7, when it was essentially a Michael Scott wet dream for the entire season in anticipation of Carell's departure.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I dunno. You made it this far. Why not go all the way. If you wanted to stop you should have stopped at Goodbye Michael. (And then skipped to the finale like above) Now you're on a train that's speeding towards its destination. Nothing stops this train.

Wait, wrong thread.

I liked season 8 and 9.

Don't feel bad. I slogged through Seasons 7-9 hoping the secondary cast could fill the Michael void. Rewatching 7-9 are impossible due to the way Andy's character was completely destroyed.
He's good now! But now he's MEEEEAN! But he's happy but THIS EPISODE HE'S A JERK BUT NOW HE'S DWIGHT AND NOW HE'S MICHAEL AND UGHHHHHHHH

I can't even remember anything past Season 8 besides the finale. Felt like a fever dream.

Yes! What was up with that?!

There was a dramatic shift in his character. In the beginning of S8 he was essentially the same, just manager. Then at the end of S8/S9 he's horribly mean and bitter, but then some times nice again because he's got a personality disorder apparently

I did like S8 up until Nellie came back as a manager. Went downhill fast from there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom