• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Office: Final Season |OT| It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Office: An American Workplace |OT| Coming Soon to PBS: a propaganda wing of Bill and Melinda Gates, and viewers like you. (probably too long)

Definitely too long. That's what she said.

I slept on it and I really feeling The Office Rewatch |OT| Meet New Friends, Tie That Yarn

I think it's perfect.

Iceman

i always thought the end to the michael scott paper company arc would have served as a fine conclusion to the series.

I think he had to
start a new life with Holly
(do I need to spoiler that?). That was the true end of the series. From the beginning it was clear that Michael was seeking love and family and that he chose to extract it, forcibly, from his employees. That major character flaw had to be resolved and the MSPC story did not complete that arc.

big ander

I think he had to [not a spoiler]start a new life with Holly[/not a spoiler] (do I need to spoiler that?). That was the true end of the series. From the beginning it was clear that Michael was seeking love and family and that he chose to extract it, forcibly, from his employees. That major character flaw had to be resolved and the MSPC story did not complete that arc.

something that happened seasons ago in the show? nnnno.

And yeah, MSPC wouldn't have been a good ending. MSPC ended really sloppily, actually. The arc itself was great and so were some of the episodes surrounding it (disco party or whatever) but it ended up being pretty inconsequential.

Just rewatched the finale.

Without the emotion in the cold light of day? Man it is bad... Almost offensively so. The baby, erin's parents, the wedding, the andy stuff.

:(

Will stick to the last 15 minutes next time.

Iceman

Agreed. I loved David Wallace. I think I got a little choked up when 'Nard Dog brought him back into the show.

I remember being terrified for Michael whenever he encountered David Wallace. That guy just seemed so real-world no-nonsense, that Michael Scott's continued employment felt like it was seriously just hanging in the balance with every word he spoke.

I stopped watching when Michael left. Did they ever found out who the scranton strangler was?

An unrelated third party that we never got to see. Toby met with him in prison, got strangled.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just watched Garage Sale. Oh my god, that proposal was perfect in every way.

Is it still worth watching after Michael leaves?

Season 8 is definitely the worst season. But season 6 is pretty bad, so if you got through that and into 7 you might as well finish it off.

Permanently A

Well, I just watched the series finale. Its been a hell of a ride. Watching it all together made me appreciate more as a whole rather than a good streak and then a bad streak. I wish Toby has gotten... something. Anything. I just hate that he was a punching bag with no victory. Other than that I feel it ended very nicely.

For me, 9 was the worst one by far. The last few episodes can't make up for everything else.

8 was mixed, but had its moments, and better ones/more of them than 9.

A theory....

The episode where Jim and Pam are really reconnecting. Jim's doing the post it note emergency, Pam leaning on his desk like it's a hypersexualized fan-fic version of season 2, she's looking at him with this insufferable damsel in distress doe eyes thing that she never did before, they have the talking head about morning sex. I never hated the two of them more than in that one episode. Just the way Pam was looking at Jim while he talked about being ok with abandoning his dream annoyed the piss out of me after a few subsequent rewatches, and I want to see if I am picking up on something obvious to anyone looking at the deeper meaning in the show, or if just personally wanted them to be over, or what it was...

u3NstrD.jpg

The reason I think we were supposed to hate them or be over them at the very least is this: in that episode when they're back in the annex and Erin asks Jim and Pam on a double date, they immediately start in with their bullshit about Thursdays being tough, as well as all weekdays etc, Erin says nevermind, rolls her eyes, turns to plop and walks out. I think she spoke for the audience right there.

It was almost like, "yeah you guys are back together but nothing has changed with you two fucks so eat a bag of dicks, I'm over it, I'm over you."

eLarWh3.jpg

Funny how symmetrical that is. The positions, postures and colors make it look like a mirror at first glance. And Pete looks like s1 Jim (which I realize he's always supposed to anyway).
Clearly it was supposed to be that way. That was anything but subtle and the scene was shot to make it look like a mirror or at least for us to go OH YEAH DUUUH THERE ARE SIMILARITIES. It annoyed me. That scene annoyed me, except Erin's reaction to getting dissed when Jim and Pam reverted back to their obnoxiousness.

J10

Banned
I'm rewarching the series. Kevin's voice was different when he wasn't a full blown retarded person

Yeah, he didn't start his retard voice until like halfway through season two, around the same time Kelly became a shallow ditz and Meredith became a drunk slut. Basically it took them a couple years to figure out what to do with the less attractive people on the show. Even Creed was somewhat normal in the beginning.

Yeah, he didn't start his retard voice until like halfway through season two, around the same time Kelly became a shallow ditz and Meredith became a drunk slut. Basically it took them a couple years to figure out what to do with the less attractive people on the show. Even Creed was somewhat normal in the beginning.
To me it started after the "Kevin's Famous Chili" cold open. When he fell into the chili he must have hit his head really, really hard.

Well Im in Season 3 right now and he's still pretty normal. They're all still pretty normal. Andy just got introduced and he seems like the most "obvious" character

Link

The Autumn Wind
Well Im in Season 3 right now and he's still pretty normal. They're all still pretty normal. Andy just got introduced and he seems like the most "obvious" character
Ironic, considering how many changes his character goes through.

Was there a reason why Oscar had been gone for "months"? Was the actor shooting a movie or something?

According to the episode's wiki page:

The original title of this episode was "Oscar's Return",[4] a reference to the reappearance of actor Oscar Nunez, who had temporarily left the series after the season premiere. Nunez spent the interim working on the Comedy Central series Halfway Home. It was the last episode Daniels filmed before the Thanksgiving holiday, the start of an eight-week break for the cast and crew.

According to the episode's wiki page:

The original title of this episode was "Oscar's Return",[4] a reference to the reappearance of actor Oscar Nunez, who had temporarily left the series after the season premiere. Nunez spent the interim working on the Comedy Central series Halfway Home. It was the last episode Daniels filmed before the Thanksgiving holiday, the start of an eight-week break for the cast and crew.

Good to know.

Man, Andy is so annoying.

"Business School" is another great episode. I like it when they strike a good balance between funny and emotional

Before that, he had shown signs of being bad at life, bad at math, bad at his job, with a low incidence of good judgement and terrible social abilities (Blood Drive). But to me that marked the real change in his character (which I loved right up to the end, by the way). I never laughed so hard at a cold open or maybe any The Office moment as I did seeing Kev slide around in that chilli with his voice over saying it's probably one of the things "he does best". Chuclking even as I type this.

Jado

Banned
Watching Pam this episode made me realize that she's always had issues with any sort of risk or change. She was with Roy forever, despite being clearly unhappy and in love with someone else. Didn't want to stay in art school due to the distance it was causing between her and Jim and then had trouble with the idea of moving. She's done spontaneous things in the past, (the fire walking and Michael Scott paper company) but overall her character seems to have had trouble with risks.

Also, I think my favorite thing about this series was the friendship between Pam and Dwight. So absolutely adorable.

The spontaneous firewalk was specifically about her not taking risks.

I just got around to watching the finale because the last couple of episodes were too much: sappy and trying way too hard to quickly tie up as many loose ends as possible. Michael's brief appearance was perfect. He said just enough to get a laugh out of me without sticking around too long and cheapening his amazing exit from the show.

I definitely would've liked to see an entire season of Dwight as manager, but his attitude was unbelievable given his recent past. He has always skirted the line between serious authoritarian, asshole and upstanding law-abiding citizen. In the last few episodes, he was just straight-up kind and compassionate. It was as if the very character was self-aware that the show was ending and he needed to leave behind his best impression. More believable were his attitude as interim manager, and briefly being in charge and printing Schrute Bucks. This Dwight didn't seem at all like the same person who started a fake fire or who dumped a bucket of cold water on Phyllis.

Overall, too many good ideas crammed into the very end of the season. It was all so rushed and not as well-executed as a result. The stuff with Erin's parents is the kind of material that could've been built up to a really good mid-season episode. The return of Meredith's older son and the same damn stripper being hired yet again... if little moments like these were sprinkled throughout the last few seasons, we wouldn't be talking about how bad they were. It just reminded me how much time was wasted on terrible storylines.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Before that, he had shown signs of being bad at life, bad at math, bad at his job, with a low incidence of good judgement and terrible social abilities (Blood Drive). But to me that marked the real change in his character (which I loved right up to the end, by the way). I never laughed so hard at a cold open or maybe any The Office moment as I did seeing Kev slide around in that chilli with his voice over saying it's probably one of the things "he does best". Chuclking even as I type this.
I felt so bad for him thinking why didn't he have a better grip on the handles? Why was he holding it that way? It could only end in disaster. He should have been holding the handles directly. But then again it wouldn't have been funny.

I definitely would've liked to see an entire season of Dwight as manager, but his attitude was unbelievable given his recent past. He has always skirted the line between serious authoritarian, asshole and upstanding law-abiding citizen. In the last few episodes, he was just straight-up kind and compassionate. It was as if the very character was self-aware that the show was ending and he needed to leave behind his best impression. More believable were his attitude as interim manager, and briefly being in charge and printing Schrute Bucks. This Dwight didn't seem at all like the same person who started a fake fire or who dumped a bucket of cold water on Phyllis.
Which episode did Andy bring David Wallace back? It was before the boat trip, right? I think what should have happened is Andy should have either been fired or demoted after David found out about his lies and Dwight should have been promoted right there and he could have had the last half of the season be with him as actual manager. Instead we got Andy sticking around as manager and an episode or two of him hating Plop and Erin's relationship before dropping the whole thing abruptly.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Which episode did Andy bring David Wallace back? It was before the boat trip, right? I think what should have happened is Andy should have either been fired or demoted after David found out about his lies and Dwight should have been promoted right there and he could have had the last half of the season be with him as actual manager. Instead we got Andy sticking around as manager and an episode or two of him hating Plop and Erin's relationship before dropping the whole thing abruptly.

Andy brought David Wallace back in the season finale of S8, Free Family Portrait Studio. Same episode as Dwight stealing Philips DNA for the DNA test at the hospital... and a season before Andy's personality got rebooted again LOL

Marathonned through Season 1-9 past few weeks. Damn whan an amazing show. It went downhill after Steve Carell left though. What an amazing guy that is. It became really superficial after Sabre got involved and Robert California got involved. Wasn't really beleivable. At first I thought Michael Scott was eventually coming back, but that bastard actually left. Took me a season lol.

Can anyone explain to me how Phillip turned out to be Dwights son when the DNA test proved the opposite?

Oh and like most people, I am in love with Jenna Fischer (even though she'll most likely look like droopy dog in her 50's and older).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Can anyone explain to me how Phillip turned out to be Dwights son when the DNA test proved the opposite?

Real reason: Because they planned for him to be the Senator's son when they were working on Dwight's spinoff and didn't want to take Angela with them, but when the spinoff fell through they felt uguu~ in their hearts and needed everyone to have a lovey dovey conclusion. they were always meant 2 be 2getha

In-story reason: Either Dwight took the wrong diaper from the trash for the DNA test or Angela faked or paid off the doctors to fake it.

Seth rogan was 18 in that??? Looks exactly the same.

If it was 2003, he would have been 21 or 20. Still, he always did look older for his age.

Interesting stuff on the casting videos.

I've been rewatching the series, and I'm a lot easier on it this time around. Even season 8, which is easily the worst in the series, isn't getting me as down as it did the first time around.

Sami+

So I'm almost ten years late to the party, huh? Great time to have started watching. c:

For whatever reason, I never cared much for this show when I was younger. Around middle school or the beginning of high school was when I remember it getting the most exposure. Late May this year, I decided to give it a shot when I saw it on Netflix, and...

Wow. I loved it, haha. Over the course of the past three months I've watched every single episode, from the beginning of Season 1, to the finale this morning. I read some critic reviews of individual episodes and seasons, and looked at impressions of the finale here after I finished, and while I definitely agree with a lot of what's been said, I actually do have to say that the dips in quality in the later seasons are not nearly as noticeable when you're watching everything back to back for the first time.

Taking the entire series into account, I have to say that the one thing that really, really got to me by the end was the overuse of the love triangle trope. It was almost ridiculous by the end. Jim and Pam's worked so well because not only did it tie into their characters and give room for serious development, like Pam's resistance to change and habit of playing things safe throughout the series, but also because Karen was such a likeable character that by the end I found it hard to root for anyone.

Then they reused the trope ad nauseum. Yay. Michael and Holly got split and kept apart because of bullshit plot filler, Andy and Erin dance back and forth between "they're gonna be together but no they're not but yes they are but no they're not but yes they are" for so fucking long that when they finally reached their conclusion in Season 8 I was genuinely happy for them, and relieved that they would finally be together.

... But nope~ Fuck me, they're split again. Because they thought for whatever reason the show would be better off turning Andy into a neglectful asshole, even after he was head over heels for Angela. It's completely out of left field for his character, he was always a great relationship guy and went a really long way to make it work with Angela when she clearly didn't care. I honestly liked Andy, and I smiled when he got that Nard Dawg tattoo after he manned up and went to fulfill his promise. I thought to myself - "he's a good guy. I'm glad he's manager, and I'm glad he's going to get his happy ending with Erin."

If I had to choose something to really hate Seasons 8 and 9 for, it was their treatment of Andy. ... And the aforementioned love triangle bullshit. Plop sucks, by the way.

Despite that though, everything else was fine. I didn't even really notice that I had taken issue with all of these things until about Season 9 - Erin's breakup with Andy was the breaking point for me. Up until that point I was just kind of in it for the ride, and I genuinely enjoyed it. The entire Jim/Pam arc in the first few seasons was brilliant, Niagara had me tearing up by the end, Dwight making Jim Assistant to the Regional Manager and best man was really nice to see, and the characters' final talking heads at the end really tugged at the heartstrings. And of course, the show's hilarious. If I had to pick a funniest episode, I'd say... Threat Level Midnight, for sure. Holy shit, that was gold.

But yeah, I'm rambling now. Long story short, the show's great, the characters are great, and I really enjoyed my time watching it.

Parks and Recreation next, then? I know Rashida's in it and that alone is a great motivator, haha.

VoxPop

'The Office' Unseen Auditions.

'The Office' audition tapes of actors that didn't get the job. Adam Scott, Seth Rogen, Eric Stonestreet, John Cho, Bob Odenkirk and Kathryn Hahn's audition tapes are in this video.

Wow those are sweet. Odenkirk should have definitely taken over after seeing that bizarro Michael episode.

Seth Rogan was terrible.

John Cho being Jim wouldve just been weird but he wouldve been a great Ryan.

I could see Adam Scott playing a decent Jim as well.

VanWinkle

Even if I could make it through Season 1 of the Office without a hitch? :p

Don't skip it. My goodness. The only thing is, if you DON'T like the show during season 1, don't give up on it before watching past that season, because it gets a lot better. I still like season 1 personally (and I really liked season 1 of The Office).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom