• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Office: Final Season |OT| It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Status
Not open for further replies.

fisheyes

I'm kind of bummed there was no payoff with the Scranton Strangler. I didn't really need to find out someone from the show was the killer, but at least something. It's been talked about way too much to have no kind of payoff. Hell they could have had Toby just saying he was right or something throw away like that.

They did in some episode this season. Toby decides to visit the man who he thinks got wrongly convicted in jail, the next scene we see him walking out having been strangled, confirming it really was him. Its resolved.

They did in some episode this season. Toby decides to visit the man who he thinks got wrongly convicted in jail, the next scene we see him walking out having been strangled, confirming it really was him. Its resolved.

Oh wow, somehow I completely forgot about that. Nevermind then.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I really enjoyed the last episode. Love Micheal's Cameo. Good stuff. I will miss this show.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Damn man making me all emotional since I just ended my school year and some peeps are graduating.

Sorry man :( you'll be alright. We live in better times now since you can just Skype it up or whatever. Don't be a Sadster.

KevinCow

Banned
Kevin and Dwight at the bar might be my favorite scene in the series.

"Look, I didn't fire you for anything personal. I fired you because you constantly made mistakes and were just overall terrible at your job."

"Oh, it was just that? Okay then! :D"

DaveH

I'm not well versed in music[al pop-culture]... when Andy is talking about being unable to discern that his present is "the good old days" and says, "Someone should write a song about that."

Is he oblivious to some well-known pre-existing song that covers this- and, if so- what song is it?

Or is this a glimmer that Andy might write that song with universal resonance which may convert to the stardom he seeks?

I'm not well versed in music[al pop-culture]... when Andy is talking about being unable to discern that his present is "the good old days" and says, "Someone should write a song about that."

Is he oblivious to some well-known pre-existing song that covers this- and, if so- what song is it?

Or is this a glimmer that Andy might write that song with universal resonance which may convert to the stardom he seeks?
I thought the latter as well but it was so vague it could also be the former.

.GqueB.

Banned
Decent ep overall and a nice send off. Didn't have much feels because I stopped caring about the characters long ago. Michael Scotts' departure got me pretty good though back in the day. I loved the panel, the stripper bit with Dwight (he played that perfectly) and the little bit they showed of Andys' commencement speech was pretty great as well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Steve Carell has aged very gracefully. He looks better today than he ever did during the airing of the show and the silver in his hair is very handsome.

Zoe

Steve Carell has aged very gracefully. He looks better today than he ever did during the airing of the show and the silver in his hair is very handsome.

Men really can look so good with salt and pepper hair :(

I was disappointed to see he had dyed his hair during the Scranton visit though.

That was great finale I think. Michael's lines were perfect although I was really ready to bitch out Pam if they ended up staying.

THANK GOD

Grzi

I'm not gonna lie, I cried.

I've never rewatched this show besides a few episodes here and there so I guess now would be a good time to do just that.

Adamm

Loved the episode, I'll miss this show a lot!

Best. Surprise. Ever.

79HJqBl.png

Yes! Could not believe this!
I know a lot of people maybe expected Michael to return, but I did not see it coming. I was almost sure they wouldn't get him back

Overall I enjoyed the finale, it was a bit cheesy at times and a bit too much of everything working out a bit too nicely. But it was a nice way to wrap up the show

"Its only human natural." best line of the finale

BFIB

Hard to believe that next year, there won't be any more Office. I feel bitter sweet about it ending. Seasons 1-5 are some of my favorite TV ever, but parts of 6, 7, and the entirety of season 8 were some of the worst TV I'd ever seen.

The Michael cameo was perfect. As many others have stated, he had his farewell. Focusing the entire episode on his return would make his departure in season 7 mean a lot less.

I do admit, it would had been nice to see everyone up there at the end, and Michael slowly walks in. Everyone says goodbye, and Michael is the one to take Pam's drawing off the wall, and give it to her.

squall211

Yes! Could not believe this!
I know a lot of people maybe expected Michael to return, but I did not see it coming. I was almost sure they wouldn't get him back

Overall I enjoyed the finale, it was a bit cheesy at times and a bit too much of everything working out a bit too nicely. But it was a nice way to wrap up the show

"Its only human natural." best line of the finale

I'm usually terrible at figuring out when a twist or surprise might happen, but as soon as Jim told Dwight that the best man (whatever the term was) was supposed to be older than the groom, I knew it was going to be Michael.

Ashhong

I do admit, it would had been nice to see everyone up there at the end, and Michael slowly walks in. Everyone says goodbye, and Michael is the one to take Pam's drawing off the wall, and give it to her.

Goddamn you, I was perfectly happy with what happened but now I wish this had happened instead.

Tagg9

A decent series finale, but I still felt like it could have been a lot better. Kind of like the last Seinfeld episode.

The Carell cameo was good and I liked the Q&A session, but a lot of the jokes still fell a bit flat.

Adamm

I'm usually terrible at figuring out when a twist or surprise might happen, but as soon as Jim told Dwight that the best man (whatever the term was) was supposed to be older than the groom, I knew it was going to be Michael.

Well, yes. If i'm honest when Jim said that i thought "no...it cant be" thinking it might be michael before we actually seen him.
What I mean is, I did not expect him to return to the show at all, right up until that point I had no idea

Enco

Best ending for an awful season.

Michael was amazing.
Andy being happy in the end was good.
Toby being depressed isn't that great of an ending.

I had to fight back tears though. Gonna miss these guys.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm on the biased side of would have liked more Michael time. Yeah I know he already had his goodbye, but he was so far and away the core of the show, and we got some nice quick allusions but not a real satisfying update to where he's at (not as satisfying as if Holly had been there and he'd had a little more screen time at least).

But maybe it bugs me a little more than it otherwise would because Pam got so much time. She even got the last line! Doesn't seem totally appropriate but oh well, I didn't hate it. Pretending S8 never happened at least somewhat made up for it.

Yeah, Toby certainly didn't get a happy ending. Ah well, it makes sense for the character.

Meredith, Erin, and the others still at the office are perfectly happy with what they are doing, so I'm glad they didn't shoehorn happy endings in for everyone (although Erin did get one).

In hindsight, this was by far the worst season.

I know a lot of people hate 8, and parts of it were awful, but nothing hits the lows like this season did. 8 still had a few really inspired bits.

For me, I think the show was good through S5, and decent through 7, and spotty afterwards. Most of what I disliked could be summed up in a single word.
Andy.

inm8num2

Hard to believe that next year, there won't be any more Office. I feel bitter sweet about it ending. Seasons 1-5 are some of my favorite TV ever, but parts of 6, 7, and the entirety of season 8 were some of the worst TV I'd ever seen.

The Michael cameo was perfect. As many others have stated, he had his farewell. Focusing the entire episode on his return would make his departure in season 7 mean a lot less.

Exactly. I like that they brought Michael in but still kept the focus on the other DM employees without having Michael overshadow them. It was just the right touch.

Enco

Yeah, Toby certainly didn't get a happy ending. Ah well, it makes sense for the character.

Meredith, Erin, and the others still at the office are perfectly happy with what they are doing, so I'm glad they didn't shoehorn happy endings in for everyone (although Erin did get one).
Pretty much everyone was happy apart from Toby.

He cracked a smile when everyone asked him to go to the party but that's about it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Toby was totally normal for the longest time. Don't forget he has a freaking daughter for starters. Once they had him rub Pam's leg or whatever (totally implausible btw, even by the show's own reality) they just went bonkers with him and turned him into a weirdo loner. They should have just kept him a lame normal divorced guy. But that was way too understated for the show's later seasons.

Adamm

I'm on the biased side of would have liked more Michael time. Yeah I know he already had his goodbye, but he was so far and away the core of the show, and we got some nice quick allusions but not a real satisfying update to where he's at (not as satisfying as if Holly had been there and he'd had a little more screen time at least).

But maybe it bugs me a little more than it otherwise would because Pam got so much time. She even got the last line! Doesn't seem totally appropriate but oh well, I didn't hate it. Pretending S8 never happened at least somewhat made up for it.

I thought Toby's ending wasn't too bad, he spent a lot of the episode being depressed - but when he said he was going to turn in for the night they all invited him back to the office for the party, shows people actually do care for him? no?

As for michael, he had 2 cell phones for all the pictures of his kids. So surely he got what he had always dream off - a happy family?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh yeah, I didn't really care about his ending at all. Was more referring to the direction they took the character in.

Link

The Autumn Wind
______ was totally normal for the longest time. Don't forget he has a freaking ______ for starters. Once they had him ______ or whatever (totally implausible btw, even by the show's own reality) they just went bonkers with him and turned him into a ______. They should have just kept him a ______. But that was way too understated for the show's later seasons.
Madlibs time! Go!

For the record, I really laughed a ton at the autotune remix of Andy.

I thought it was relevant enough. The Kapooya! autotune remix and the Five Guys one are fairly recent.

pacman85

I, like most everyone here, have been watching the show for a long time and am sad to see it go even if it's quality had gotten worse these last few seasons. I really enjoyed the finale however and would recommend everyone to watch the retrospective that came on before it if you haven't. You can watch it commercial free on YouTube here.

Also, to those complaining about certain characters not being there, Jan was in an episode earlier this season (as was Todd Packer, Roy and even Gabe) which were kind of their "goodbye" episodes so for those saying they weren't in the finale just watch those episodes and you can see them one last time. The only person they didn't really bring back at all recently that I wish they would have was Holly (played by Amy Ryan). Perhaps she was too busy or something.

No, I absolutely agree with you. Just showing how it applies to pretty much every character on this show, which was its biggest problem.

Yeah, I laughed when I read this, becuase I immiately thought of both Kevin and Andy-- and it probably applies to others too.

Creed used to be funny because he was so extreme, but I would guess that his early appearances are more normal than the "normal" characters in the last 3 seasons.

Jan was in an episode earlier this season (as was Todd Packer and even Gabe) which were kind of their "goodbye" episodes so for those saying they weren't in the finale just watch those episodes and you can see them one last time. The only person they didn't really bring back at all recently that I wish they would have was Holly (played by Amy Ryan). Perhaps she was too busy or something.

It was nice to see Michael, but I really missed Holly.

Chittagong

Gold Member
That was really sweet, a lovely finale. Made me misty eyed and gave me good laughs.

I love this show so much, even the bad seasons. For almost a decade I have followed these guys, it's odd not to see them anymore together but also I am glad they did not drag it out any further.

Getting new episodes has been always the highlight I saved for a special moment when I have time for just myself - a flight, a weekend alone, a night when the Mrs had a girls night out. Even when bad it was just so relaxing, care free entertainment. Seeing Lost crew go was the first one that felt this hard. Now I only have the Mad Men gang left and they are only for a while longer.

Has been fun experiencing The Office with all you guys. Incidentally the series started around the same time when I became a member.

jonezer4

Michael Scott only gets two lines in the last episode? He was the main character for 7 seasons!

Worst finale ever

How jarring would it have been, after two years of him being completely gone, to come back in the middle of an episode and then just dominate it after that?

Disregarding that, it could be argued that it was intentional that he came back and just blended into the background. The fact that he didn't make himself the center of attention, or mess anything up, is indicative of how far his character has come. I think it was a really nice touch.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
No, I absolutely agree with you. Just showing how it applies to pretty much every character on this show, which was its biggest problem.
Yeah, the whole tone shift was a bummer. Glad they recaptured just a bit of a magic for the last three episodes. Penultimate one was legitimately awesome.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've been one of the bigger detractors of this show in it's current state, but that was a really nice finale. I was hoping Michael's cameo would be more substantial but in reflection it was handled just right. This show got pretty bad towards the end, but it was still bittersweet to say goodbye.

Now I'm watching the pilot and feeling emotional. I've been watching this show since my senior year of high school. ;_;

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've been marathoning since last night. I'm on Valentine's Day now. Love the cameo from Conan O'Brien while Michael is distracted by a fake Tina Fey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom