• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official FFXII Wait Thread

duckroll

Man, I'm really dying for just ANY crumb they can throw us at this moment. What the hell is happening in development?

Let's take a look at the history so far:

2001 May FFXII announced in development for PS2 with Matsuno in charge.
2002 May FFXII will be released in 2003.
2002 Dec Famitsu announces staff and shows the famous image illustration poster.
2003 May FFXII announcement later in 2003 planned.
2003 Sept Official FFXII website opens, FFXII press conference on 19th Nov announced.
2003 Nov Press Conference, release date scheduled for Summer 2004.
2004 May Release rescheduled between 2004 Winter to 2005 Spring.
2004 Sept FFXII scheduled for 2005 Spring.
2005 May FFXII in video form only at E3. Square Enix Party in July announced.
2005 July Square Enix Party. FFXII is playable. Release date: 16 March 2006.
2006 Feb FFXII goes gold.

Is the game in any sort of trouble? Does anyone have any idea? Has anyone working in Japan even SEEN or HEARD from Matsuno or anyone in the team since E3 last year? It seems that after the playable demo at E3 got all the positive hype the team just went underground and disappeared. Nothing for FFXII since then, nothing in mags, nothing at TGS except a video, nothing at Jump Festa except for a video.

Sakimoto did make a comment on FFXII in an interview some time in Sept 2004 I believe saying he's still working on FFXII and everyone is working hard or something so I guess Matsuno hasn't died yet but still, 4 years and still no release is a little worrying for Japanese development. In contrasts DQ7 took 3.5 years to be released after the initial announcement.

Edit: Also, some time after E3 it was mentioned in Famitsu that FFXII has a staff of upwards of 150 people including voice actors and musicians and so on. That's a pretty large staff/cast even for FF. Again... FOUR YEARS and counting so if it comes out in Spring 2005 was planned that's 4.5 years of development!

Edit2: With FFXII going gold, I'm updating the final timeline information and bumping this baby! :D

Japan won't see a launch till sometime after the end of the fiscal year (April 1).

Excerpt from IGN

November 19, 2004—Final Fantasy XII won't make it out during the current financial term, Square Enix president Yoichi Wada revealed earlier today during a company financial briefing in Tokyo. Wada's brief comment means that the game won't see Japanese release until after April 1, 2005, the start of the next financial year.

Square Enix has been pretty noncommittal with the release date for the next entry in its largest worldwide franchise. FFXII was originally scheduled for Japanese release during the summer of this year, but saw delay to Spring of 2005. Wada's comments today rule out a March Japanese release, but could suggest a Summer release similar to the July release of Final Fantasy X.

DJPS2

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Moved to Xbox 2 for launch?

Oh, yeah. Squeenix knows that moving their golden goose to a system that Japan won't even acknowledge the existence of is a bright idea. Unless Bill Gates opens up that checkbook and buys out Squeenix lock, stock, and barrel... I can't see this happening.

I can't stand Nintendo these days, but a move back to where Square enjoyed a lot of their early success-- and to a company that still maintains some relevance in Japan-- seems more credible, if Square is going anywhere at all.

Personally, I think it's time for Square to start taking Final Fantasy multiplatform, like most other third-party publishers have done.

Odnetnin

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
Can you *please* not count X-2 as one of the three games per system? It makes Baby Jesus cry.

I actually thinK FFX-2 is their best game since FFVIII. (in the FF genre) and not including the rather good FFTA.

Odnetnin

Banned
^ IAWTP (about the XENON thing). I don't see SE going multi-platform though

Um. Yes. After FFx-2, I can't wait for FFXII... does anyone know when the US edition will be coming out? The fact that all the FF titles will have extensive amounts of text to translate....

Jonnyram

Odnetnin said:
does anyone know when the US edition will be coming out? The fact that all the FF titles will have extensive amounts of text to translate....
FFXI expansions are released at the same time in America and Japan. KH:COM was also not so far behind in the US. I think that says a lot about the improvements made in Square's localisation department in the last couple of years.

Edit: FFXII will probably have delay because of voice acting and song translation though. Forgot about that :D

DJPS2

Banned
Odnetnin said:
I can't wait for FFXII... does anyone know when the US edition will be coming out? The fact that all the FF titles will have extensive amounts of text to translate....

If the JPN version of FFXII isn't going to make it before April 1, I'd think that the chances of seeing it here before year's end are pretty small. That makes me sad.

FFXII, god I can't wait, seriously, this generation has really felt lacking on a traditional FF that I've sat down and enjoyed, and I think XII will be the next one I really love. It's set in a world I like, the battle system is much more refined and fluid from what we've seen, I can't wait to finally try it out. I only hope the story holds up as well. The last traditional FF (I LOVED XI, but I don't count it simply because no one else does) I enjoyed was IX, and before that it was VI. VII, VIII and X really didn't appeal to me. However, and do prepare to gasp and shield your eyes, what have you, but I recently got my hands on a copy of X-2 and I've really been enjoying it, much more than what I tried to enjoy in X. People can completely dislike the goofiness and whatnot, but the lightheartedness is what really seems to help me feel the characters much more than angst and silly love stories. And when such events do happen, I feel much more close to their characters and much more moved by those sequences.

Eh whatever, let me quit this silly little FF rant. FFXII looks really hopeful, I can't wait! Finally to get that long awaited love my PS2 and I have craved this generation. Ugh, I don't see how I'm going to get through this year.

Chrono

Banned
Well since this is an official wait thread...

final-fantasy-xii-20041111031351954.jpg

final-fantasy-xii-20041111031356688.jpg

final-fantasy-xii-20041111031356000.jpg

final-fantasy-xii-20041111031357766.jpg

final-fantasy-xii-20041111031358407.jpg

final-fantasy-xii-20041111031359141.jpg

final-fantasy-xii-20041111031359813.jpg

final-fantasy-xii-20041111031400250.jpg

final-fantasy-xii-20040730052434545.jpg

final-fantasy-xii-20040730052435061.jpg

final-fantasy-xii-20040730052435607.jpg

final-fantasy-xii-20040730052436107.jpg

final-fantasy-xii-20040730052439217.jpg

final-fantasy-xii-20040730052442342.jpg

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
As long as it get released then I will be happy I suppose. Seriously contemplating on trying a new hobby after only two new games, those being Zelda and FFXII - two of the biggest series that created a gamer out of me and the newest iterations looking like the best out of the series so far. We'll see if I still stick around after the mayhem.

Jonnyram

Seriously though, I would imagine it will come out in July like so many FF games prior to this one. It's missing the end of March rush, and then next big rush usually occurs mid-end July, so that's when I'm guessing it'll come out.

Odnetnin

Banned
final-fantasy-xii-20041111031359813.jpg

Good to see them reusing the FF movie Cid model. Wonder if he plays the corrupt judge. Game looks AWESOME.

them moggles still take some getting use to.

jiggle

DJPS2 said:
If the JPN version of FFXII isn't going to make it before April 1, I'd think that the chances of seeing it here before year's end are pretty small. That makes me sad.

According to the dates on gamefaqs.com
X only took around 5 months, and X-2 took them 8, IX took 4, VIII took a little over 6, and 6 for VII also. Kingdom Hearts took around 6.

So going with the worst case scenario of 8 months, an april release could still make it to the US for Christmas...

They have like what, DQVIII, FFXII, KHII, FFVII:DoC, Radiant Story, and whatever else needing translations. I wonder which game gets priority:)

duckroll

jiggle said:
According to the dates on gamefaqs.com
X only took around 5 months, and X-2 took them 8, IX took 4, VIII took a little over 6, and 6 for VII also. Kingdom Hearts took around 6.

So going with the worst case scenario of 8 months, an april release could still make it to the US for Christmas...

They have like what, DQVIII, FFXII, KHII, FFVII:DoC, Radiant Story, and whatever else needing translations. I wonder which game gets priority:)

FFXII is a Matsuno game. If this is planned in the same way as Vagrant Story, then Alexander O Smith is in Japan working WITH Matsuno on translations as the game is being made/written. Don't forget, at E3 aside from the voices everything in the demo was already in English. Localization isn't an issue, the game NOT being released and us hearing NOTHING since E3 is. T_T

fart

Savant
oh god i'm going to shut down for a week when this comes out

looks great, mechanics sound fucking great, fuck

Chrono

Banned
The only thing I don't like about this game is that it looks too modern in some city pics. It reminds me of real life and just doesn't look like fantasy at all... It's only with a few pics though so we'll see.

jiggle said:
why do u think it's in spoiler :p
don't ruin it for everyone

I thought every body knew that
Vaan wanted his own pirate ship
...?

jiggle

Chrono said:
I thought every body knew that
Vaan wanted his own pirate ship
...?

For the ppl who didn't see the trailer and didn't know that
there are floating islands in the sky
. Just to be safe?:) Don't know if that's even significant...

Vashu

That last batch of shots, is that from the CG trailer? I didn't see it yet, know where I can find it? Don't worry, I know al there is to know about the story, since I did extensive coverage for a Dutch gamesite I 'work' for.

But, it looks awesome, the style is just perfect. Alright, I AM some sort of Matsuno-fanatic, but I think he is doing an excellent job. Combining his artistic vision with the regular Final Fantasy style was a match made in heaven.

To be honest, I've never been more excited about an FF game than I am for FFXII... Too bad it's gonna take a long long time for it to get over here in Europe.... And it's probably gonna be a very bad PAL localized game with HUGE borders.... :(

Che

Banned
Odnetnin said:
I actually thinK FFX-2 is their worst game since FFVIII. (in the FF genre) and not including the rather good FFTA.

Fixed. Now this sentence makes perfect sense.

hobart

I'm just hoping for excellent characters. Awhile back I made a statement that a good FF = an FF with amazing characters... most notably an amazing main villain.

The Judge looks hot... plus... he's pretty
ordinary/human looking
(but that's only after looking at the trailer)... looking at the main title poster
he looks much more bad ass.
Either way... I like it both... and I'm open to seeing how they'd use both in the game.

Bottom line.. we've been waiting for this game too long with very little payoff (although from what I have seen... it's looking good). Expect to see this game around the same time as Zelda... at the end of their respective system's lives.

Mrbob

The only thing that worries me is if Kingdom Hearts 2 is planned for a September release, this means that FFXII could get pushed back to 2006. I hope it doesn't because I want FFXII more than KH2. If I were to guess on the release date, I would still say sometime in late November/early December. Maybe on the same day as the Xbox 2 launch.

Rahul

Mrbob said:
The only thing that worries me is if Kingdom Hearts 2 is planned for a September release, this means that FFXII could get pushed back to 2006. I hope it doesn't because I want FFXII more than KH2. If I were to guess on the release date, I would still say sometime in late November/early December. Maybe on the same day as the Xbox 2 launch.

In Japan? Launching FFXII in Japan to combat Xenon is irrelevant, since even Square Enix's shitty titles outsell Microsoft there.

As for NA, Final Fantasy doesn't really have stopping power to take on MS' marketing. If Sony really wanted ot get in Xenon's face, it'd be a new PS2 GTA.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
jiggle said:
For the ppl who didn't see the trailer and didn't know that
there are floating islands in the sky
. Just to be safe?:) Don't know if that's even significant...

Since that's pretty much the beginning of
FFIII
, I claim hotness.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually anticipating DQVIII than FFXII. That battle system does not bode well with me so far.
Bring on FFXIII bitches!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I haven't enjoyed an FF game in years (unless you count the FF Origins remake of FFI)... so hopefully this will be good. Nervous about the battle system, sick of fem-boy lead characters, but the setting sounds cool and it definitely sounds like there's more gameplay to it than the past few FFs.

SantaC

djtiesto said:
I haven't enjoyed an FF game in years (unless you count the FF Origins remake of FFI)... so hopefully this will be good. Nervous about the battle system, sick of fem-boy lead characters, but the setting sounds cool and it definitely sounds like there's more gameplay to it than the past few FFs.

IAWTP. FF6, FF7, FF9 and my personal favorite FF8. What a great era.

hopefully FFXII will be as good as them.

djtiesto said:

because all the FFs for PS2 were made by n00bs!!!

WTF was up with FFX? No airships, stupid linear game felt like a movie!! But I did put 128 hours in it :D

FFX2 and FFXI were garbage.

This WILL BE GOOD!! Matsuno is not a n00b! His games rock

SantaC

Doom_Bringer said:

WTF was up with FFX? No airships, stupid linear game felt like a movie!! But did put 128 hours in it :D

I agree. You are the biggest FF fan here I can tell :D

Doom_Bringer said:
HORRIBLE! Hehe, kidding, though I must say, these very diverse opinions on the series speaks well for the entire franchise, I can't recall a single game in the main series that isn't liked or disliked.

Doom_Bringer said:

WTF was up with FFX? No airships, stupid linear game felt like a movie!! But did put 128 hours in it :D

Please let Vaan not suck like Tidus...please let Vaan not suck like Tidus...please not let Vaan suck like Tidus...

I love it how the world this time is supposed to be giant to explore. I speak of WoW-esque areas with different cultures. Did someone of you know, that there are 600 NPCs in Rabanastre (the city shown in the FMVs), of which 150-200 are able to speak with you? 600 NPCs is much more than in entire FFX. The city must be HUGE.

02.jpg

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
djtiesto said:

I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to, as from FF onwards, the battles always took a step forward in some way, albeit 9 took a bit of a step back with the horrendous loading times. It really boils down to if you like the story, characters and the leveling system of said FF. I'd confidently say FFXII won't have "more game-play" than the previous eleven, just once again, laid out in a different way. FFX had a ridiculous amount of content than the previous ones, and so on going back, whether you enjoyed it or not is obviously up to question.

Piecake

I really hope this is awesome, since the other rpgs, Suikoden 4 and Xenosaga 2, i was interested in this year have been getting bad feedback.

I loved FFT and Vagrant Story, so i dont think this game will disapoint. Also, Im loving what im seeing so far. Im digging the artistic style of the game. Hopefully the gameplay and story turn out great. Although im more worried about the gameplay, due to the new additions, than the story because I loved FFT's and Vagrant Story's story.

Oh well, im getting this game no matter what.

Top Bottom