• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official FFXII Wait Thread

teiresias

If the zones are as large as FFXI zones, and there is a comparable amount of them, are they going to implement a more easily accessible "fast transit" system if you really want to use it?

For instance, if I'm planning to sit down for a long gaming session I really won't mind running through the zones and fighting stuff on the way to get from one town to the next, but at some point that does get tiring (particularly when you run as slow as you did in FFXI). So what the plans are to keep the travel from being horrendously boring later on as the novelty grows older.

duckroll

teiresias said:
If the zones are as large as FFXI zones, and there is a comparable amount of them, are they going to implement a more easily accessible "fast transit" system if you really want to use it?

Simple answer: We don't know. Notice that this entire thread is about "where the fuck is FFXII/newFFXII info" and not "YAY THE GAME IS COMING OUT IN A MONTH". :(

Everything I listed in my post is really everything we know post E3 and there has been ZERO fresh news since then. Hence the reason why I started the thread in the first place. Sorry buddy.

Eric-GCA

Banned
05.jpg

Jesus, thats no man, its a freaking woman!
I dunno, Final Fantasy has just become way too cliche now for me.

Gattsu25

Banned
Eric-GCA said:
05.jpg

Jesus, thats no man, its a freaking woman!
I dunno, Final Fantasy has just become way too cliche now for me.

This post would make some sense if you said it before FFXII, FFXI, or even fucking FFX-2

If anything, FF has been trying to distance itself from its previous installments

Drek

This is pretty damn scary and brings back horrendous memories of the Japanese FFII where you had to attack yourself to gain strength. Please tell me it's implemented better.
I'm not too worried about it, a lot of games have come and gone that have used similar mechanics and done them well, so they have some better inspiration than FFII, plus the updated versions of FFII have improved that problem significantly.

Gattsu25

Banned
Eric-GCA said:
I never played any of those either.

Then you shouldn't be talking about how the games have become if you don't know a damn thing about them other than how the screens look.

EDIT: *sigh*...I've got a 7-page report due tomorrow and I haven't even started the title page on it yet...I know I didn't explode on you or anything...but me jumping on your post lacks the usual hateful sarcasm that I normally provide

SantaC

The last FF main character I liked was Zidane.

I am looking forward to FFXII, but I doubt that Vaan will be any better than the last installments.

SantaC

belgurdo said:
*crying purple thing*

Atleast he wasn't a Squall teen angst character with "I am better" than you attitude. That said, I really enjoyed FF8, but I liked the characters in FF9 better.

edit: Killing and violance in games, is that the only thing you think is cool belgurdo? :lol

Bebpo

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
I am looking forward to FFXII, but I doubt that Vaan will be any better than the last installments.

...because you can judge how interesting and likeable a character is by their physical appearance?

SantaC

Bebpo said:
...because you can judge how interesting and likeable a character is by their physical appearance?

It's one part of it, isn't it? Also notice how I said "doubt" - meaning that I haven't totally written it off until I played it.

duckroll

Bebpo said:

Interestingly enough, Akihiko Yoshida said that originally Vaan was much "tougher" and "manlier" including comments about how hairy he was and how he looked like a rugged northern barbarian. My sources tell me this is a leaked early concept design of Vaan:

viking.gif

:lol :lol :lol

SantaC

duckroll said:
Interestingly enough, Akihiko Yoshida said that originally Vaan was much "tougher" and "manlier" including comments about how hairy he was and how he looked like a rugged northern barbarian. My sources tell me this is a leaked early concept design of Vaan:

viking.gif

:lol :lol :lol

:lol swedish viking?

nitewulf

belgurdo said:
More adult? Do you mean the characters should look older, or do you mean like this?

bb0301_01_large.jpg

Thor.jpg

tp0302.jpg
older. i started playing FF when i was a youngin, but as i grew i expect the heroes/protagonists to be older to suit my tastes, cause you know, im not 15 years old anymore!
not gonna happen of course, but a fan can hope.

Reading the descriptions of Vaan released so far, he reminds me alot of Vyse from EA, which seemed to be a very well liked character on these forums.

duckroll said:
Edit: Matsuno has also mentioned in the same interview that if you wanted you could spend 100+ hours and "perfect" a character.

Ah well, bye bye life then. I can't be the only one who already knows, that they're going to have to get every character maxed out on every skill and every weapon.

Gattsu25

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
Ah well, bye bye life then. I can't be the only one who already knows, that they're going to have to get every character maxed out on every skill and every weapon.

Yeah, this bodes well for me :D

Zaptruder

Banned
nitewulf said:
older. i started playing FF when i was a youngin, but as i grew i expect the heroes/protagonists to be older to suit my tastes, cause you know, im not 15 years old anymore!
not gonna happen of course, but a fan can hope.

Older... about mid 20s is perfect for the american-centric anime protagonist.

Someone like... Cloud in his FF7:AC incarnation.

Bebpo

Banned
Zaptruder said:
Older... about mid 20s is perfect for the american-centric anime protagonist.

Someone like... Cloud in his FF7:AC incarnation.

Isn't Cloud in FF7:AC like 18 years old?

Young rpg lead characters have always been a staple in Japan. I mean I just looked at the Wild Arm 4 website and the main character is 13 years old while the rest of the party is closer to 18.

Bebpo

Banned
zylo said:
23 i think, he was 21 in FF7.

Wow, I guess it was when they started having realistic looking characters that they lowered their ages:

FFVIII - Squall - 17
FFIX - Zidane - 16
FFX - Tidus - 17
FFXII - Vaan - 17

Z

zylo

Unconfirmed Member
05.jpg

the women in the picture look more manly than Vaan. I didn't think they could outdo Tidus but I guess I was wrong. I thought with the FFT team making FF12 that we would actually get a patagonist who looks like a male for once guess not.

Pellham

Banned
Matsuno has also mentioned in the same interview that if you wanted you could spend 100+ hours and "perfect" a character.

Perfect. Stuff like this is what makes Matsuno the god of directors that he is.
I hope they let Matsuno take over FF and get rid of Yoshinori "I should be directing anime" Kitase for once and for all.

duckroll

Pellham said:
I hope they let Matsuno take over FF and get rid of Yoshinori "I should be directing anime" Kitase for once and for all.

I don't think Matsuno wants that. This is probably his one shot FF to show Square how a big budget RPG that breaks the JRPG mold should be done. After this if anything he should revive the Ogre Battle series in a big way by producing, directing, writing and designing the next one on the PS3. That would just fucking own all.

Ill Saint

How long has it been since the characters were unveiled? And amazingly, people are still moaning about Vaan. Time to let go, seriously.

Eric-GCA

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Reading the descriptions of Vaan released so far, he reminds me alot of Vyse from EA, which seemed to be a very well liked character on these forums.
Vyse didn't look like a girl, and he had an eyepatch, so that made him instantly cool.

Of course, look who I'm talking to, you liked Alfonso out of all the Arcadia characters :p

Eric-GCA said:
Vyse didn't look like a girl, and he had an eyepatch, so that made him instantly cool.

Of course, look who I'm talking to, you liked Alfonso out of all the Arcadia characters :p

You must be hanging around some hideous looking women if Vaan looks like a woman.

PC Gaijin

Pellham said:
The Quest log makes it sound like it could be comparable to PC RPGs with their optional quests/nonlinear gameplay.

I have every confidence that Matsuno can pull of a project like this. This could very well be the best FF game to date, if not one of the best console RPGs ever.

Agreed. That description from duckroll is FUCKING HOT.

teiresias said:
It would be awesome if after the main quest was finished you came back down from the high mountain peak or from the alternate dimension or wherever the last battle was and was able to go around completing more quests, and if there were quests only open once you'd completed the main storyline of the game, because suddenly everyone knows who you are because you're the super-duper hero in the world.

Agreed again.

Duckroll's description confirmed what I thought I had read earlier about the game, and why I was excited by it. If the game plays somewhat like an offline XI, I am so there. The bit about the game possibly being skill-based really excites me as well. Skill-based systems don't have to be like FFII, there are PC RPGs where it works well. Indeed, this whole game is sounding like a melding of some more Western RPG design elements with Eastern art direction, which should be awesome.

Vaan looks fine for what his proposed age is. I too would rather see some older protagonists though. Probably because I'm an old fart now, and it's getting harder to relate to a bunch of teenagers. It seems that FF protagonists have been getting younger and younger; weren't most of the characters in FFIV (my personal fav) in their 20s?

SantaC

Bebpo said:
Wow, I guess it was when they started having realistic looking characters that they lowered their ages:

FFVIII - Squall - 17
FFIX - Zidane - 16
FFX - Tidus - 17
FFXII - Vaan - 17

Zidane is more realistic looking than Cloud? I don't think so.

Bebpo

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
Zidane is more realistic looking than Cloud? I don't think so.

ok, instead of 'realistic' I'll use the word 'detailed'. Because it wasn't until FFVIII+ that Square started putting effort into human-like faces and that's when suddenly the ages lowered. I don't see that as a coincidence but whatever.

duckroll

Look for everyone complaining about Vaan looking like a girl, this was actually addressed at the first FFXII fan/press conference. I wasn't kidding when I said Vaan originally was designed as a rugged tough barbarian guy. Akihiko said the design was so scary that Matsuno rejected it instantly because no one would be able to relate. :lol

But that was back when the scenerio required a character the grew up in the cold regions of the world, like snow mountains and what not. When Matsuno eventually pinned down the scenerio to what it is, what he needed was a much younger and optimistic youth that lives in a very hot tropical island region of the world. The reason what Vaan is the way he is, is because the heat would make teenagers like him wear as little as possible and be very tanned, while there would be no reason why he would be overly muscle-bound.

Vaan doesn't really look, sound or behave like a girl really if you have seen the video capture movies from the E3 demo. He really is just simply a very young, optimistic youth in a tropical island who dreams a future in the skies. I have full faith that Matsuno's screenplay will fully develop Vaan as a character and by the end of the game he would have significantly changed and be much more a man.

jiggle

I remember reading an interview somewhere that Vaan, at one stage, was much more feminine looking. He was later remodeled after someone (only remember it's a japanese name) and became more masculine.

I'm pretty sure it was from gamerfeed.com. The entire transcript was posted in their forum. Can't find it now though. Wish I had copied the entire thing. It was a long time ago and my recollection of it is very vague, but I'm sure I'm not delusional:)

duckroll

Ah that would be the design that came after VikingVaan. Akihiko's redesign was EXTREMELY girly because of the reasons I stated. But when they eventually found the seiyuu (voice actor) for Vaan (he's a new comer, this is his debut) they used him as a motion capture model as well. Because of his more muscular build (he's not VERY muscular btw, he's only 16 iirc, but at least he's a real guy :p) the design itself had to be slightly altered to what it is now.

SantaC

Bebpo said:
ok, instead of 'realistic' I'll use the word 'detailed'. Because it wasn't until FFVIII+ that Square started putting effort into human-like faces and that's when suddenly the ages lowered. I don't see that as a coincidence but whatever.

ok got your point :p

duckroll said:
Ah that would be the design that came after VikingVaan. Akihiko's redesign was EXTREMELY girly because of the reasons I stated. But when they eventually found the seiyuu (voice actor) for Vaan (he's a new comer, this is his debut) they used him as a motion capture model as well. Because of his more muscular build (he's not VERY muscular btw, he's only 16 iirc, but at least he's a real guy :p) the design itself had to be slightly altered to what it is now.

Him?

ff1227.jpg

SantaC

Let's update this sucker. I am really waiting for this game. Does anyone know if it could be worth importing the japanese version? I have never played a japanese FF game before but I can imagine major language barries. :D But If the US version slips into 2006...ouch :/

SantaCruZer said:
Let's update this sucker. I am really waiting for this game. Does anyone know if it could be worth importing the japanese version? I have never played a japanese FF game before but I can imagine major language barries. :D But If the US version slips into 2006...ouch :/

NO! It will extremely difficult to understand the menus and dialogue.

Picture this:

You are in a town and need to talk to a NPC in order to move forward, but the entire game is in Japanese so you don't WTF to do! You will get stuck and get frustrated with the game.

I recommend importing the NA version whenever that comes out! :D

SantaC

Doom_Bringer said:
NO! It will extremely difficult to understand the menus and dialogue.

Picture this:

You are in a town and need to talk to a NPC in order to move forward, but the entire game is in Japanese so you don't WTF to do! You will get stuck and get frustrated with the game.

I recommend importing the NA version whenever that comes out! :D

yeah that's probably true. I really would like to play this one in the upcoming summer though. Oh well, guess I'll wait. But my patience sucks :D

SantaCruZer said:
yeah that's probably true. I really would like to play this one in the upcoming summer though. Oh well, guess I'll wait. But my patience sucks :D

You could import the game and then use translation FAQS from Gamefaqs! A lot of people there translate text whenever a new FF comes out.

That could work! :D But I think Square Enix NA will get the game translated in less then six months (just like FFX).

duckroll

This thread FINALLY has a purpose! We're a year later than we should be but WE ARE HERE BABY! No more delays, no more lies! MARCH 16 2006! It's coming! :D

Top Bottom