• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGaf Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Thread

SpudBud

Beat the game last night. It was overall an enjoyable experience. Story was great, voice acting was great, gameplay was lacking though. Overall I would give the game a B.

Also, any word on SE making anymore Compilation games? I really can't get enough of the FFVII world.

One more thing,
Cloud really looked like a Japaneses woman in the final cutscene. I really wish SE would give him a more manly look. I can't really take him as a tough guy with him looking like that.

SpudBud said:
One more thing,
Cloud really looked like a Japaneses woman in the final cutscene. I really wish SE would give him a more manly look. I can't really take him as a tough guy with him looking like that.

I was cracking up through that whole section of the last cutscene. Kept hearing the "It's Guy Love" song in my head.
:lol

Jugendstil said:
I'm sort of having the same issue. I'm at 32% with the missions, and all of the sudden enemies are knocking off huge amounts of HP in certain missions, regardless of difficulty.

I am at about 38%. Right now I have HP+++ mastered that has +240% HP equipped, but it is pissing me off because: I can't unequip it or I'll die too quick; It is taking up a spot that I could be using to level-up a different materia that I haven't mastered yet.

callous

Son of a ... how in the hell do I tackle mission 10-3-2? I can dish out 9999 dmg, but I have to dodge a bit and they regenerate 5000 HP every other second. Stop doesn't work, stun doesn't work, death doesn't work .. what am I missing?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Ferrio said:
There's speculation earlier in this thread that she's the Avalanche member Jessie who dies in the beginning on FF7. Which would make sense why we don't see her as a turk in FF7.

Cissnei

Since she was introduced in Before Crisis, then played a fairly large role in Crisis Core, a game that was released later, but was a prequel to FF7. Then I could imagine that for continuities sake she would play a role in
the FF7 remake (if it ever happens). Just think that
it really would piss off the cissnei fanboys to find out that their new FF7 love would die so early in Final Fantasy 7. So I bet she would be reintegrated into an FF7 remake and play a more central role in the saga, if they ever do the FF7 remake

inner-G said:
For a portable RPG, this game kicks all types of ass.

Can't help but think what kind of an impact it could have had if it were released earlier in the life cycle of the PSP, and if so many people didn't pir8 it.

I think that if devs keep pumping out games like GoW and CC though, PSP could remain around for a long, long time.

Crisis Core will be a huge hit, regardless of whether the PSP is a piracy machine or not. There are a lot of people I know that do pirate PSP games that did buy Crisis Core because they wanted to send square a message to remake FF7.

As stupid as it sounds, people do think like that.

Question about when you play the flashback sequence of FFVII

How does Cloud pull off that maneuver and throw Sephiroth across the room? I can't remember that happening in FFVII, although it has been years since I've played it last.

Deadly

It's been a couple of years I've played FFVII, but in CC Tseng clearly knows who Cloud is. In FFVII, did Tseng even recognize Cloud ?

Teknoman

Question about one-wings: Are they just results of Jenova cells or Mako exposure?

Hcoregamer00 said:
Crisis Core will be a huge hit, regardless of whether the PSP is a piracy machine or not. There are a lot of people I know that do pirate PSP games that did buy Crisis Core because they wanted to send square a message to remake FF7.

As stupid as it sounds, people do think like that.

Wouldnt...that work though?

I want a remake damn it...I cant find the original anywhere for a reasonable price.

terrene

Banned
Holy Shit, Amirox isn't having this one. Dude, you need to learn what random means. It is not "person walks into predefined area, collision detection determines attack will occur." And DMW is very heavily weighted to favor you for level-ups and whatnot if you're grinding. And materia fusion makes for some interesting experimentation, too.

Well, I've dug it so far. I like the Missions being "80% of the game," even, because that's where all the grinding is, and it lets you do it in byte-sized chunks with little rewards at the end of them. Nice!

My only complaint is the Mass-Effect-like "kill a couple enemies in this barren environment, move on" repititious feel that the Missions get after awhile. And the translation must be off, because despite being grammatically correct, quite a few exchanges are near nonsense. ("It's over!" "I'm trying, I'm trying!" <PLANE BOMBS AREA>" .... uh, right.)

Nice fanservice, fun times. I'll accept the FFVII apologist label -- I probably deserve it.

Teknoman

terrene said:
Holy Shit, Amirox isn't having this one. Dude, you need to learn what random means. It is not "person walks into predefined area, collision detection determines attack will occur." And DMW is very heavily weighted to favor you for level-ups and whatnot if you're grinding. And materia fusion makes for some interesting experimentation, too.

Well, I've dug it so far. I like the Missions being "80% of the game," even, because that's where all the grinding is, and it lets you do it in byte-sized chunks with little rewards at the end of them. Nice!

My only complaint is the Mass-Effect-like "kill a couple enemies in this barren environment, move on" repititious feel that the Missions get after awhile. And the translation must be off, because despite being grammatically correct, quite a few exchanges are near nonsense. ("It's over!" "I'm trying, I'm trying!" <PLANE BOMBS AREA>" .... uh, right.)

Nice fanservice, fun times. I'll accept the FFVII apologist label -- I probably deserve it.

Yeah that was strange that a Square-Enix game in this day and age would have certain spots with funny translations. Same thing happened with alot of ingame conversations in Persona 2.

Panda

callous said:
Son of a ... how in the hell do I tackle mission 10-3-2? I can dish out 9999 dmg, but I have to dodge a bit and they regenerate 5000 HP every other second. Stop doesn't work, stun doesn't work, death doesn't work .. what am I missing?

Your damage output is too low (or rather, you haven't equipped an accesory to increase the damage limit from 9999 to 99999). Try equipping a Brutal accessory along with any of the punch materias that costs HP, MP, or AP to use (Costly Punch, Magical Punch, Hammer Punch [I think]).

terrene said:
My only complaint is the Mass-Effect-like "kill a couple enemies in this barren environment, move on" repititious feel that the Missions get after awhile.

That's exactly what I noticed about it, but it does work a lot better in a portable game.

Ferrio

Banned
Jimmy Stav said:
Question about when you play the flashback sequence of FFVII

How does Cloud pull off that maneuver and throw Sephiroth across the room? I can't remember that happening in FFVII, although it has been years since I've played it last.

Been a long time since I played, but they did have that scene in FF7. I don't remember if he slams Sephiroth against the wall, but he does pick him up by the impaled sword and drop him into the reactor

I hardly played any missions until I got to the part where you have to pick up all those pieces for
Aerith's wagon
and now I've just been focused on the missions for quite a while. Am I doing it wrong? Is there anything I missed out on?

Hcoregamer00

Teknoman said:
Wouldnt...that work though?

I want a remake damn it...I cant find the original anywhere for a reasonable price.

Consider this also, the games in the FF7 compilation added quite a bit to the FF7 mythos, so it would make sense to have a remake of some kind of the game that started it all that incorporates the added characters, events, story lines to make everything work so well.

Granted, to me this is more wishful thinking than anything else.

Ferrio

Banned
They're going to make a remake, there's no doubt about that. As a company there's too much money at stake not to, they know they'll rake in a ton. I figure once they think they can't keep on making spin-offs of the FF7 universe, they'll do the remake.

Hcoregamer00

Ferrio said:
They're going to make a remake, there's no doubt about that. As a company there's too much money at stake not to, they know they'll rake in a ton. I figure once they think they can't keep on making spin-offs of the FF7 universe, they'll do the remake.

They could still do a bazillion spinoffs: FFVII-2, FF7 dating sims, FF7 sim city, FF7 fighting game, and everything else under the sun.

They could milk FF7 much more than just Before Crisis, Crisis Core, Advent Children, Snowboard game, Dirge of Cerebus, and artbooks.

Awntawn

polyh3dron said:
I hardly played any missions until I got to the part where you have to pick up all those pieces for
Aerith's wagon
and now I've just been focused on the missions for quite a while. Am I doing it wrong? Is there anything I missed out on?
You can get unlimited free reraise from a woman on the first floor of the Shinra building if you haven't gone to
Nibelheim
yet (the part right after the part you just mentioned), which helps a LOT on the harder missions. Once you progress with the story though, you'll never be able to go back again, so it's recommended you do your questing before that point.

Ferrio

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
They could still do a bazillion spinoffs: FFVII-2, FF7 dating sims, FF7 sim city, FF7 fighting game, and everything else under the sun.

They could milk FF7 much more than just Before Crisis, Crisis Core, Advent Children, Snowboard game, Dirge of Cerebus, and artbooks.

Going to be a point when the fans say "Fuck this". I figure around that point is when they'll start revealing it.

Dot50Cal

Banned
So I'm at the part where we
crash in the helicopter on the snow covered mountains, just met cloud
and I'm curious how much longer I have to go? I have around 40% of the missions completed, and Im at around 25 hours playtime now which is insane for a portable game.

I'm curious to know what the length of the game is. I've heard the main quest is 30 hours (what?) and when you factor in missions its nearly 100 hours (what??). Is that even possible? :lol

For those complaining about 9999HP:
Beat the PSI missions, on the last one you get an equip which lets you break the 9999 max barrier. These missions are a big pain, even with 9999HP, so be prepared to go in with anti-death equips.

CAVE343

Finished the game last week. Wow this was so worth the wait. The music, and the story are just too good. I loved every part of the game. This is imo the best psp game to date, without a doubt. I really really liked the story, the FFVII world is just great. But the music is the best part of the game, I've already ordered the OST :)

I think I screwed myself, gameplay wise...I did all the Very Hard missions and got good matieria, items, etc. and now I just 5-shotted a boss. =(

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Just beat it 5 minutes ago, it was AWESOME.

And hey, Cloud and co. don't look any different from Japanese male models, if you don't like it, that's just the culture gap.

And yeah, I remember Cloud dropping Sephiroth pretty similarly to that in the original game

D-Back

Just finished the game 20 minutes ago, such a great game. I think I only completed like 5 missions so I still have an insane amount of stuff to do. I was really surprised on the length of the story, saw a lot of complaints about it being short before I started, but it really wasn't, in fact I thought it was too long.

Beat the game a few hours ago.

Pretty entertaining game throughout despite being pretty flawed. I would not have put up with it if it hadn't taken place in the FFVII universe.

Did anyone else never die in this game? It's so fucking easy once you realize you can roll behind dudes to get crits every time.

Ferrio said:
Been a long time since I played, but they did have that scene in FF7. I don't remember if he slams Sephiroth against the wall, but he does pick him up by the impaled sword and drop him into the reactor

Weird.

Seeing it take place with full-3D graphics makes it look pretty preposterous.

Hcoregamer00

Ferrio said:
Going to be a point when the fans say "Fuck this". I figure around that point is when they'll start revealing it.

Yeah, but it seems that the fans have a very high threshold, so saying "fuck this" is not happening anytime soon.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
A background question, has to do with some characters, maybe somebody knows?

When you get a little DMV cutscene and Tsung shows up, there's several of them but in one of them him and Zack are visiting two former SOLDIER's graves (I forgot their names) and they're in a snowy mountain. Is this something related to "Before Crisis" or did I miss something earlier in the game?

Also in general terms I get why people wouldn't like the wall hugging, the DMV and some other stuff, but I had a blast, really

Oh and Cissnei was indeed in Before Crisis

70px-FF7_Before_Crisis_Character_G.JPG

Shuriken (Female) A young woman whose place of birth is unknown, she wields a crimson Shuriken called "Rekka" in battle as her weapon of choice. She is warm-hearted and has a mothering side which can border on bossy, which often manifests in how she looks after her colleagues. While still in an orphanage at a young age, the Turks expressed an interest in recruiting her, and she was brought up under harsh training techniques. In the history of the Turks, she is the youngest member to join. Like Katana (Male), she first appears in Episode 18, though at that time had been a Turk for several years and was simply on assignment. In "Special Episode of Reno", it is revealed that her assignment had been to keep Zack under surveillance. She also appears in Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, in which she is given the name Cissnei[1], though she later reveals to Zack that this isn't her real name. She is voiced in Japanese by Asumi Nakata and in English by Carrie Savage in Crisis Core.
(From Wikipedia)

Jswanko

Im a huge FFVII fan and i just beat CC. I got a little misty eyed when
you first meet Aerith
but i just beat the game and didnt shed a fucking tear, whats wrong with me?

I've done a bit of reflecting, and have come to the conclusion that the ending to this game is whack as hell.

Why the fuck does Shinra care so much that Cloud and Zach escape, so much so that they send an entire goddamn army to kill them? The part where you actually fight the soldiers really took me out of the experience. Rolling around and slashing at dudes was not what the end needed. The tacky PS1-era sports game, two-frame "croud" animations didn't help either.

And why show Zach getting blasted in the dome, only to then show him giving Cloud his last goodbyes? The FFVII prologue was rad though.

EDIT: Not from the ending, but

Angeal: "What do angels dream?!"

i lol'd

Ferrio

Banned
Jimmy Stav said:
I've done a bit of reflecting, and have come to the conclusion that the ending to this game is whack as hell.

Why the fuck does Shinra care so much that Cloud and Zach escape, so much so that they send an entire goddamn army to kill them?

Cover up. First of all both were claimed to be dead, also they've been experimented on by Shinra for the last 4 years. You really don't want that information getting out. Also I suppose they could think Zack would want revenge like Genesis did.

And why show Zach getting blasted in the dome, only to then show him giving Cloud his last goodbyes? The FFVII prologue was rad though.

Dome?

Ferrio said:
Cover up. First of all both were claimed to be dead, also they've been experimented on by Shinra for the last 4 years. You really don't want that information getting out. Also I suppose they could think Zack would want revenge like Genesis did.

Dome?

That's how we say "head" on the streets.

Barrett2

Awntawn said:
Once you progress with the story though, you'll never be able to go back again, so it's recommended you do your questing before that point.

I wish the game would warn you about that earlier on. I never got around to doing a lot of the sidequesting in the game, and before I knew it, I was at the last level and had no way of going back. Now I am at the final save point of the game, doing all the Missions there to stretch out the game play. I really wish it would have a world map option that would allow me to complete the side quests, though... It's really pissing me off.

Tabris

lawblob said:
I wish the game would warn you about that earlier on. I never got around to doing a lot of the sidequesting in the game, and before I knew it, I was at the last level and had no way of going back. Now I am at the final save point of the game, doing all the Missions there to stretch out the game play. I really wish it would have a world map option that would allow me to complete the side quests, though... It's really pissing me off.

Don't worry about it, you basically keep everything in new game+, so just beat the game.

callous

Panda said:
Your damage output is too low (or rather, you haven't equipped an accesory to increase the damage limit from 9999 to 99999). Try equipping a Brutal accessory along with any of the punch materias that costs HP, MP, or AP to use (Costly Punch, Magical Punch, Hammer Punch [I think]).
Yeah I figured that could be the only solution. Thanks for confirming! Odin saved my ass on 10-3-2, but the same problem happened on the next one. Guess I have to wait until I can get my hands on a punch.

Roxas

I know im nearing the end of the game BUT I DONT WANT IT TO END. I just got to
Nibelheim
. FUCK FUCK FUCK!

Shoho

Banned
f**k. I wanted to play this game really bad, despite not having played FF7. Then does turds at 1up spoils of course what exactly happens to zack. I can see it know, and it does makes sense, but I would not have gueessed it if it had not been spoiled to me.

Kinda takes away my will to want to play this since...

well... I have come to hate cloud and sepiroth because of the idiotic fans. but this zack guy from all the previews seemed like a much more likeable character. he is a spiky haired teenager, but at least he is not a little gloomy emo bitch like so many of the others of these games. it annoys me that he is going to die and some lame ass transsexual turd like cloud is gonna continue using his sword.. or whatever. almost dont feel like playing it now.
i dont got a problem with the hero dying. that was cool in gladiator, spartacus, braveheart and all that... its just that it sucks when you know that lame ass emo punk is going to continue the franchise.

thats like killing of snake and letting emo raiden continue the franchise. ewww.

Ferrio

Banned
Shoho said:
f**k. I wanted to play this game really bad, despite not having played FF7. Then does turds at 1up spoils of course what exactly happens to zack. I can see it know, and it does makes sense, but I would not have gueessed it if it had not been spoiled to me.

well... I have come to hate cloud and sepiroth because of the idiotic fans. but this zack guy from all the previews seemed like a much more likeable character. he is a spiky haired teenager, but at least he is not a little gloomy emo bitch like so many of the others of these games. it annoys me that he is going to die and some lame ass transsexual turd like cloud is gonna continue using his sword.. or whatever. almost dont feel like playing it now.
i dont got a problem with the hero dying. that was cool in gladiator, spartacus, braveheart and all that... its just that it sucks when you know that lame ass emo punk is going to continue the franchise.

thats like killing of snake and letting emo raiden continue the franchise. ewww.

Cloud isn't emo

Shoho

Banned
Ferrio said:
Cloud isn't emo

hes not? he sure seems that way.

Dont get me wrong. I am not one of does people that use the term constantly(okay maybe I am) but I honestly dont mind it that much.

For example I thought Squall was an excellent character. His insecurity, and selfesteme problems really shove through and gave him a more believeable-ness to him IMO.

Ferrio

Banned
Shoho said:
hes not? he sure seems that way.

Dont get me wrong. I am not one of does people that use the term constantly(okay maybe I am) but I honestly dont mind it that much.

For example I thought Squall was an excellent character. His insecurity, and selfesteme problems really shove through and gave him a more believeable-ness to him IMO.

Well you've never played FF7... so how does he seem that way? The only time I'd ever classify him as "emo" would be like the first half of advent children. But he quickly gets over that. Even if he was acting in what people perceived as "emo" in FF7, he has a pretty damn good reason.

Alec

Shoho said:

You hate Cloud and Sephiroth because of idiotic fans...? It seems to me like you're one of those people that hate games that they've never played strictly because other people profess their undying love for it, because it's "cool to hate" and to be contrary to popular opinion.

I felt that way when I was in 7th grade and the original Smash Bros. came out on N64. I have since gotten over this mindset.

Concept17

Shoho said:

You need to play FF7 to understand Cloud.

Snowden

Banned
Shoho said:

You're a keeper.

Top Bottom