• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Xbox Series S (7.5GB usable RAM, 4TF GPU, Up: Same CPU)

It's throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks. A luxury only trillion dollar monopolist corporations have.

Ah, yes. I remember the 32X, Jaguar, PS2 PSX, Net Yaroze, CD-i, 3DO, Virtual Boy, Vita, Pippin etc. being random things thrown at the wall by those trillion-dollar--...

...oh wait, none of those were trillion-dollar companies? Oh, what? SOME of them even engaged in monopolistic market practices themselves that were ruled such a way by the courts (Nintendo, for example)? Whoops....

Last edited:

splattered

Closing down mixer, closing Microsoft stores, touting garbage like bleeding edge and Grounded, new watered down "cheap" console is apparently not even going to be cheap. Read the room yall, get your head out of the sand, believe your lying eyes, this is a company in full retreat from the hardware business. They just want to pull the band aid off slowly.

Refocusing your efforts does not mean pulling off a band aid.

It seems more obvious to me they know what is working for them and what isn't, and they're looking to right the ship before next gen so they can hyper focus on giving the customer options and being able to deliver on them.

bitbydeath

Anyone telling you that 7.5 gigs of RAM, an underclocked cpu, and 4 tflop gpu wont effect game design is willfully lying, shilling, or purposely running interference for Microsoft. Im no tech expert, but i refuse to believe it.

Yeah, has to be fake. The OS will likely consume 2.5GB of that 7.5GB leaving a max of 5GB for games.

images

FireFly

Closing down mixer, closing Microsoft stores, touting garbage like bleeding edge and Grounded, new watered down "cheap" console is apparently not even going to be cheap. Read the room yall, get your head out of the sand, believe your lying eyes, this is a company in full retreat from the hardware business. They just want to pull the band aid off slowly.
They're investing in services. Hardware is only a means to an end for them.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yeah, has to be fake. The OS will likely consume 2.5GB of that 7.5GB leaving a max of 5GB for games.

images
The 7.5 GB usable RAM language suggests that would be for the game itself.

Increasing your I/O speed by 40x means you can use quite a bit less RAM to paint a HIGHER fidelity of assets.

bitbydeath

The 7.5 GB usable RAM language suggests that would be for the game itself.

Increasing your I/O speed by 40x means you can use quite a bit less RAM to paint a HIGHER fidelity of assets.

No, it just means RAM that can be used. They typically state for games if it were for games and then state the OS remainder separately. This is just stating usable ram, nothing more.

IntentionalPun

The OS requires usable RAM. It doesn’t state 7.5 for games only if that’s what you’re getting at.
You are totally wrong on this; that's not how a "profiling mode" would work. As a dev you'd select a mode like that and the system would limit your RAM to 7.5GB to simulate what the hardware would give you. It's for games. This "profiling mode" is something you'd use on a devkit/PC with far more RAM than that and you wouldn't expect the developer to give a shit how much RAM the OS is taking up, you are telling them how much RAM they are getting.

Also that's just generally what "usable" communicates in a closed system like a console... if you have a 1TB HD and 800GB "usable" that's because the OS reserves 200GB. Same concept here with the profiling mode.

Last edited:
My old GTX 670 FTW with it's puny 2GB of gddr5 ram paired with a i73770 could play 1080P all day. 1080p gaming has long been solved.
It was a shame that the xbone and the ps4 were so much weaker than that old pc. It really smeared the gaming public's perception on what a gaming system is capable of. 8 long years later and these new systems have a cpu that outperforms my old computer.
I'm tellin ya, 1080p has been solved. It shouldn't even be bothered as a bullet point on a spec sheet. It's just understood to be there or be square.
Price........ Thats where all the worrying should be. Not the techs capability. If it's close to the PS5 then it's a head scratcher. If it gets shelved then what was the point of the 'Series' branding?

So, it won't be so cheap. My guess from 300 - 350$

Good, a final nail in their co....ass i mean.

$300 is definitely cheap. A $499 Xbox One X has less impressive specs in 2017.

Which makes 'cheaper but not cheap' sensible. Cheaper in this sense means it is will be less than Series X. I'm thinking minimum $399.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The OS requires usable RAM. It doesn’t state 7.5 for games only if that’s what you’re getting at.

Yes it does. That's what useable means. If it didn't it would just say RAM. Also you aren't going to get a 7.5 GB ram from a sum of chip modules without having to get something specially made.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

Redlight

If this thing is real they can just as well cancel next gen because aside from PS5 exclusives most games will be only marginal jump.

You don't need fast CPU when you have GPU that can't put out fast framerates.

What if it's all digital and has a variation of Xcloud streaming as a key feature? You'd be able to play the latest games at 1080/30 (if your internet is up to it).

Interesting. I wonder what the configuration of the RAM and GPU could be then?

If 7.5GB is available to devs for games and assuming the OS/front-end is identical in function/features to XSX then I guess 10 1GB chips of GDDR6 on a 160-bit bus (is that technically possible?) if not then what would the most likely config be?

Say a 20CU (18CU) GPU @1.75GHz and a CPU @ ~3.2GHz. APU size around 200mm^2.

I don't like the sound of Tom's cheaper doesn't mean cheap Tweet, though. That sounds like >$300.

I think we'll see a $299-$349 Lockhart. A $349-$399 PS5 DE. $399-$449 PS5. $449-$499 Series X. In that scenario, I can't see PS5 not coming out on top.

To me it seems the execs are meddling in the Xbox business, again, just like they did with XBO. Last time it was DRM. This time they want a cheaper Xbox that will be used to push xCloud/GamePass, the thing they really bought those new studios for. I think it's going to backfire myself. And I think a lot of smaller studios will just develop for PS5, since Lockhart will be mandatory to develop on if you go Xbox. Doubt those studios will want to deal with that headache with limited time and resources on their hands.

sobaka770

Banned
Does this mean that all Xbox exclusives will have to aim to run at lower-spec hardware?

That seems like an unreasonable cap on RAM and CPU power, even if 4TF is enough for 1080p gaming.

bitbydeath

You are totally wrong on this; that's not how a "profiling mode" would work. As a dev you'd select a mode like that and the system would limit your RAM to 7.5GB to simulate what the hardware would give you. It's for games. This "profiling mode" is something you'd use on a devkit/PC with far more RAM than that and you wouldn't expect the developer to give a shit how much RAM the OS is taking up, you are telling them how much RAM they are getting.

Also that's just generally what "usable" communicates... if you have a 1TB HD and 800GB "usable" that's because the OS reserves 200GB. Same concept here with the profiling mode.

I looked up the definition and Microsoft have said this.

Usable memory is a calculated amount of the total physical memory minus "hardware reserved" memory.

Usually it calls out Games specifically if it means games. Anyway this rumour is likely bunk.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The article is pretty clear that they're reserving 2.5GB for OS on both systems, leaving 7.5GB and 13.5GB, respectively. 10GB seems weird as I was expecting 12GB, but it still makes sense for a 1080p system. On XSX you have 10GB VRAM, 3.5GB System, 2.5GB OS. On XSS you have 4GB VRAM, 3.5GB System, 2.5GB OS. For FH4 on PC, Ultra settings/2xMSAA you get 3.75GB reported VRAM usage @ 1080p, 4.75GB VRAM usage @ 4K. You'd probably expect something along the lines of 4xMSAA for the 4K version which would push the VRAM usage a bit higher. Probably should expect heavier RT effects as well.

I think this makes a lot of sense for a lineup of a $499 4K XSX and $249 1080p XSS. The essential part of the approach is using the same CPU, SSD, and available System memory. This will keep the game design perfectly intact, leaving on the resolution and maybe a few effects as the difference.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Yes it does. That's what useable means. If it didn't it would just say RAM. Also you aren't going to get a 7.5 GB ram from a sum of chip modules without having to get something specially made.

Edited for clarity.

Here’s a Windows 7 example.

Or, a 64-bit version of Windows 7 may report that there is only 7.1 GB of usable system memory on a computer that has 8 GB of memory installed.

Note The amount of usable memory in the examples are not exact amounts. Usable memory is a calculated amount of the total physical memory minus "hardware reserved" memory.

Ktsdaddy

Good luck to devs willing to make games that will run to the best possible performance on both 7.5GB RAM and 4TF but also 13.5GB RAM, and 12FT. If this is true, MS are pretty much asking devs to make 2 versions of each game. Of course what will really happen is that they'll just make the higher spec version then quickly disable and lower stuff till it runs ok on Lockhart. So games are probably going to look like rushed Switch ports.

Crazy how bad PC games look that run on 100's of configurations not just 2

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Sounds like it could definitely fill a void. This with a free month of GP and Halo at launch has potential to be a Holiday hit.

Iced Arcade

Offering more hardware options = retreat?

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
Slower CPU and less RAM?!? Very weird as the thought was “just” a bit less ram as it targets 1080p and a bit slower GPU for the same reason but no CPU speed differential.
Remember that with these next gen boxes and their super fast NVME drives, developers don't have to shove everything into memory at once to compensate for slow storage. On top of that, asset sizes for the Series A will be smaller due to the lower target resolution.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Good luck to devs willing to make games that will run to the best possible performance on both 7.5GB RAM and 4TF but also 13.5GB RAM, and 12FT. If this is true, MS are pretty much asking devs to make 2 versions of each game. Of course what will really happen is that they'll just make the higher spec version then quickly disable and lower stuff till it runs ok on Lockhart. So games are probably going to look like rushed Switch ports.
They do it all the time on PC. Why does this always need to be repeated?

Starcheif

This is wrong.....just wrong.

IntentionalPun

Hardware reserve not software reserve.
Windows 7 64bit takes up 2GB ram. The hardware reserve was .9Gb Ram in the above example.

Dude hardware does not reserve RAM. What piece of hardware do you think is reserving .9GB of RAM? lol

Like.. stop dude. In an SDK when someone tells you what the usable RAM is that is for the software you are writing for that SDK. The SDK sits between the developer and the OS itself.. so the "reserved RAM" is by the OS, even if they use the term "hardware" colloquially. What they mean is the OS embedded in the hardware that you have no control over.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Still 4TF, mmm I don't know thhat 1660Ti level of power. I would want to see like 8TF, I think that would be compelling box. But 4TF, meh. Agaiin if this is 30 fps box, it would make sense to downclock the CPU. With that said, keep it otherwise intact...no cache cutting or that kind of shit.

Hardware reserve not software reserve.
Windows 7 64bit takes up 2GB ram. The hardware reserve was .9Gb Ram in the above example.

It's software reserve, they are not reporting HW spec, when it comes to memory.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Dude hardware does not reserve RAM. What piece of hardware do you think is reserving .9GB of RAM? lol

Like.. stop dude. In an SDK when someone tells you what the usable RAM is that is for the software you are writing for that SDK.

I linked an official Microsoft article that said those very words. You should go and read the quote above again. Yes hardware reserves take up memory. You don’t get the full thing hence the term ‘usable RAM’

IntentionalPun

I linked an official Microsoft article that said those very words. You should go and read the quote above again. Yes hardware reserves take up memory. You don’t get the full thing hence the term ‘usable RAM’
You don't understand what you are reading.

I've been developing on Microsoft technology for 20 years. You?

Read my edit... HARDWARE literally CAN NOT reserve RAM. Software uses RAM.... software EMBEDDED on hardware can use RAM.. and in some cases that would be colloquially refereed to as the "hardware reserving RAM.".... AKA the embedded operating system.

Last edited:

RaySoft

What it means is that the PS5 will become the defacto dev target, and then they'll scale down to lockhart from that.
The XSX version will probably only be a slight fps adv. over PS5, if any at all.

Romulus

I understand the less powerful GPU targeting lower resolutions, but cutting the RAM that much?

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Ah, fine. If you won’t believe Microsofts definition then theirs no point taking this discussion any further.

You are literally stating the opposite of what you linked.

A hardware reserving memory is not typical. The link you provided is how to diagnose and find out what is reserving the memory and stop it.

The second link is a system requirements page that states how much ram your machine needs to run windows.

Again, you don't know what you are linking and saying.

IntentionalPun

You mean like on PC?

I don't want Lockhart to exist myself.. because I do think it'd be better to not have to target a lower end system, and if the thing is $300 anyways I really dont think its gonna fly off shelves and make a difference for MS this gen. But I also think the effect of it is being exaggerated. The vast majority of devs have been targeting far more hardware profiles than TWO for their game releases with more variety than XSX vs XSS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom