• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher III: Blood & Wine |OT| One last contract, one last plough

Ludens

Banned
Just a question regarding people playing on PC: I just did the
fable world inside the book
, and I noticed my GPU tempo going to 71c while usually is 65c when playing on Witcher 3.
I also had some frame drops
near the wolf and the bears
, just a couple, maybe some process was going in the background, but I noticed this location is way more taxing than the rest of the game, because as soon as I left the area, I had no problem and the temp was 65c again.
Any hints?

Also regarding the end of the game, how
can I make Ciri appear? I got Yen.

SugarDave

in one of the ? sidequests i went from monster hunter to
PI of infidelity

nPm2M.gif

my reaction at the end but the dude was a cunt so
i didnt tell him and the wife thanked and gave me extra money and xp

Which quest was this? Was it the contract
with the tremors under that one dickhead's vineyard? I didn't have any option to hide his wife's infidelity even though I knew that it was going down, in fact I never saw her again.

Ricker

Use the stairs if you need a quick getaway. They can't follow you.

There's only 2 casters, once you finish them it's pretty simple to cheese the rest. The area is tight, but works to your advantage since it's more long and narrow, so it's a matter of kiting them to one end, rebuffing, and taking them as they trickle back.

It is a big difficulty jump. Took me three tries. I just popped vitality increasing decoctions, Quenned, and then dodged around like a mad-man throwing bombs until I could isolate mages. Once they were gone was trivial to clean up. But I'm not playing hardest difficulty.

Thanks for the tip. So far have come across two others apart from those mentioned but they're not exceptional.

The Refreshment alchemy ability is a life-saver. Every potion restores health. If you reach max toxicity pop a white honey.

Thanks for the tips guys,finally got it after 5 tries lol...one of the hardest sidequest so far...

Thoughts on the Big Game Hunter quest?

I wish it was a series of quests instead of just one, frankly.

(Spoilers for quest details just in case):
I loved the shift from tracking monsters to kill them to tracking monsters to observe and record them, avoiding combat at all costs. What an interesting and refreshing twist on the standard contract. Great way to make environmental awareness more important as well. I understand there's a bevy of great content, but I wish they included a few more of these.

It's always the little things that get me, like even the tiniest, otherwise trivial "hidden treasure" icon on the map becoming a mini event of sorts.
Arriving at the amphitheatre it is marked as a hidden treasure, but you need to play out a simple little ritual of candle lighting and booze drinking, followed by a mini boss fight. I love that they bothered to add in ghostly rounds of applause as you fight.

I love that I can walk into a small inn in the and strike up a little chat with the innkeeper about Vengerberg.

Man, feel so empty after finishing this. I never played W1 and W2 but i got so damn attached to Geralt and his friends. Don't think i've grown this attached to fictional characters since Baldur's gate 2.

At least try to play the Witcher 2. The characters are fantastic there too and there are quite a few that didn't make it over to the Witcher 3.

My Roach no longer has a tail. :(

I had that problem but it fixed itself for me.

Lakitu

st5fu
Ok (endgame spoiler) the
Detlaff battle
is fucking ridiculous. What's worse is that everytime I die it sends me back to the beginning of the cutscene....

Coreda

Thanks for the tip. So far have come across two others apart from those mentioned but they're not exceptional.

Since then found another missable sword that matches the one mentioned in the parent quote: a flamboyant silver (or was it steel?) sword with matching stats (20% intensity of each sign). Thanks to another tip I saw.

Although the swords in this expansion are closer to something you'd hang on a wall than wear with regular Witcher gear so it's perhaps not as enticing as the HoS missables, which may be a relief for those wondering.

Thoughts on the Big Game Hunter quest?

I enjoyed it for what it was and felt the length didn't overstay its welcome. Its novelty and change of pace is what makes it memorable (apart from of course the interesting story touches).

Staf

Ok (endgame spoiler) the
Detlaff battle
is fucking ridiculous. What's worse is that everytime I die it sends me back to the beginning of the cutscene....

My tip is to:
whenever he flies away to cast his bat-thingy, that one shots you, is to run away from him. If you are far enough they can't reach you.
Worked for me in death march.

Fardeen

blood and wine is bittersweet... i'll miss geralt of rivia... and my ending was so depressing... witcher 3 is one of the best game ever made....

My tip is to:
whenever he flies away to cast his bat-thingy, that one shots you, is to run away from him. If you are far enough they can't reach you.
Worked for me in death march.

Yeah, I died 3-4 times on DM until I said screw it, and just
ran like I was fighting Ebrietas in Bloodborne or something. Didn't hit me even running to the side.

Jeffrey

Anyone figure out how to fix Roach's color? mine's been a weird grapeish color since at least heart of stone or earlier lol

SugarDave

Ok (endgame spoiler) the
Detlaff battle

You should be able to save just before starting the fight, while Regis and Dettlaff are going at it. Unfortunately, the transformation cutscene after his first form isn't skippable but it's not too long.

I like how the game pretty much hints(spoils) at the main plot twist from the start if you are observant.

In the office of the captain that gives you rewards for knight for hire quest

Don't click on the link if you are not far into the main questline

Shouta

Just finished, so good. Crafting Witcher sets was too expensive though, OOOF.

The Piercing Cold Mutation is ridiculously powerful with Griffin armor and Sign Intensity. It's a little crazy.

rahji

just cleared the paperwork sidequest and it was awesome. Also cleared the quest with a certain statue. Very entertaining, giggled the whole time.

Jeffrey

Ursine GM with regen quen + heavy attack build + extend rend range enhancement + Bloodbath mutation + aethersword.

Chopping mofo's down like paul bunyan.

RedSwirl

The game is so gorgeous with the HUD turned off, and especially the Minimap.... Sometimes I try do it for fun. Very first time I played the game, I set it to the highest difficulty and turned off the Minimap (there was no total 'HUD Off' option yet, and even my very first encounter with a bear was pretty gorgeous and epic.

Even as a often-HUD-less gamer though, Witcher 3 can be tricky without it. Worst part by far is just looting enemies.

I think it would be super tedious for a new player that genuinely needs the coin and loot. but for a NewGame+ where you're already loaded with Grandmaster Witcher gear and a huge sack of coin... it would be a really cool thing to do...

Kinda getting ideas myself now haha though I'm sort of hoping for a possible PS4 Neo 'patch' before I replay again.

I'd actually prefer to not have 3D markers. It would be nice if I could get a separate compass though (without the markers on them).

NIN90

Did they tweak drowners with the latest patch or something? Because I'm playing with level scaling on and I'm NOT getting gangbanged to hell and back when I'm facing more than three of them.

valkyre

Guys i decided to
lift the curse and get Marlene to my house. I also got the quest "The Hunger Game" , which tells me to go to corvo bianco to speak with Marlene but i cant find her anywhere... Is this a known bug? Is there any solution?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
YOOOOOO alternate input response is so much better. It actually feels like a normal game now and I can direct Geralt around a room and loot things without him randomly lunging forward 4 feet.

Also my suspicions from Witcher 2 are being confirmed in Novigrad. Triss is lame and makes Geralt lame when he's around her. It's like a relationship from a WB young adult show.

jediyoshi

YOOOOOO alternate input response is so much better. It actually feels like a normal game now and I can direct Geralt around a room and loot things without him randomly lunging forward 4 feet.

I envy people whose first experience with W3 are all the improvements they've added since launch. I've fallen off one too many bridges and cliffs with the original movement.

Also my suspicions from Witcher 2 are being confirmed in Novigrad. Triss is lame and makes Geralt lame when he's around her. It's like a relationship from a WB young adult show.

Lol, can't disagree. I think Geralt/Keira would have been perfect. Similarly grumpily good hearted.
Damn you Lambert, poacher!

Cyto

Guys i decided to
lift the curse and get Marlene to my house. I also got the quest "The Hunger Game" , which tells me to go to corvo bianco to speak with Marlene but i cant find her anywhere... Is this a known bug? Is there any solution?

She should be in the dining room, try and speak with the butler

Guys i decided to
I had the same problem but she showed up for me after I beat the main quest.

Hoplatee

I always used default move settings on pc. Completed base game + HoS with kbm without any issues!

But i am stuck to bed for a little while so now I play Blood and Wine with a controller in alternative mode. It really helps in that case. Welp. Thats clunky without.

CoolOff

Yuuuup. It's a teenage romance, while Yen and Geralt have an adult relationship.

Geralt would disagree.

Some fantastic, though short, side quests in this fucking expansion. And I love seeing non-sunny weather in Toussaint.

Man I am going to miss this series.

bidguy

Banned
whats the order of play here ? main game -> hearts of stone -> blood and wine

would you recommend finishing the main story first ?

Still kinda miffed about how they handled Triss game after game. I don't mind her character, but she's so different now from what she was in the first game, almost like she's gotten younger in both mind and body with each game, less down to earth and more idealistic.

Top Bottom