• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher III: Blood & Wine |OT| One last contract, one last plough

CloudWolf

Fuuuuuuuck, the "Extreme Cosplay" quest is insane.
I was not prepared at all for that fight. Geralt and the NPC's said 'specters' so I went ahead and applied Specter oil and drank a Reliever's Decoction. Then the statues came alive and it turned out to be non-humans, two mages and four spear-wielders. They wrecked me over and over again until I found a spot where they can't hit you and just cheesed it.

I would love it if someone could find a way to sit Sapkowski in front of a camera and show him some key scenes from the video games.

Sapkowskis React could be the next youtube sensation.

....okay, he'd probably just shrug and go back to counting his money.

CD Projekt Red actually contacted Sapowski about Witcher 3's 'Ciri saves the world' concept because it was such a major divergence from the books. Sapowski gave them his blessing to include it. If he's okay with that, he's probably also pretty much okay with the rest.

Bubaer

Just started hearts of stone, is it normal for enemies to be taking 8-9 clean hits before dying? It's not my weapon damage either, I have picked up one from a corpse and still the same...

It doesn't help that every battle I've had so far has had 5+ people at once, seems like I have to hit, roll, hit, roll, get hit, run away and repeat; just isn't fun.

I don't remember it being like this in the main game (haven't played in a bout a year though).

Might have to lower the difficulty not because it's hard, but because it's tedious as fuck. I'm playing on the second hardest btw.

Yeah, HoS is noticably tougher than the base game. Dropping the difficulty seems to be a good idea if you don't enjoy it

The games are reverential but ultimately pretty disrespectful of the books.

I don't think he outwardly dislikes them so much as he doesn't really care but is happy with the exposure they have given his books to the rest of the world.

Lets be honest though, the books end beautifully and the games unwrap that ending, give Geralt amnesia and it strikes me as a bit selfish.

I pretty much agree with this. The main problem I have with the base game is that CDPR was trying to write someone else's characters, as well as a conclusion to someone else's story that no one really asked for, and that's usually when they're at their weakest, in my opinion. I think they kill it when they're making new stories and characters set in the overall world Sapkowski created (Letho, Iorveth, Olgierd and Gaunter ect), but when they take characters straight out of the books (Triss, Yen, Ciri, Eredin ect), they often don't the characterisation right. Although I did really like Shani and
Regis.

I quite liked what they did with Triss in TW2, but in TW3, she's just so strange. I chose her romance to see how they handled it, and I was left disappointed. Shani is the best romance in the game, IMO.
I haven't got to Syanna's yet.
She had so much dialogue, was very well written, and also had the best actual scene since the Elven Garden one in Flotsam in TW2.

I still don't know why they pushed the whole Geralt and Ciri, father-daughter love thing. Poor Yen, she gets sidelined hard. Ignoring romance options, she's almost always absent from those "parenting" scenes, and it's a bit odd. TW3 should have mainly been about the Wild Hunt because it's how TW2 ended. Why were they abducting humans? What did Geralt do as a Red Rider? Where is their massive army? TWH in TW3 are like 3 dozen guys, with one ship. Isn't it meant to fly, as well? They fail at everything. I don't know how CDPR's writers thought this was satisfactory. They're one of the worst antagonists they've ever done.

So many plotpoints from TW2 end up going nowhere, or get chucked out completely (cough Iorveth. Sorry, I'm still salty and I'm not forgetting what happened with this anytime soon), and are replaced with an ending that not only makes little sense to book readers, but tries to end something that Sapkowski had already wrapped up in the books, like you mentioned. The Deus Ex Machina
The White Frost
didn't need to be in TW3.

I really like both of the expansions, how they handled the main story, quests and POI, but I thought the base game had a ton of problems and needed improvement. I would have gladly paid for a third DLC that added and fixed some things in the base game.

Coreda

With this mutation is the 'damage' derived from the sword's inventory stat or fast attack/etc damage? If the former it doesn't sound particularly useful.

zwhKSDd.png

Edit: also does anyone know the percentage buff that places of power provide?

Edit 2: found an Aard place of power and the damage buff was exactly 300.

SeanTSC

Am I missing any exclamation mark quests?

I did:

-Paperchase
-The Roach one
-The hairdresser one with the poet
-The painter one
-The cosplay one

I can't find other it seems.

Oh wow, I missed doing that
Roach
one. Which quest exactly was the
"hair dresser one with the poet?"
I can't remember one like that off the top of my head.

With this mutation is the 'damage' derived from the sword's inventory stat or fast attack/etc damage? If the former it doesn't sound particularly useful.
May be possible to check... weapon sheathed, check your Igni damage, and then draw your sword and check your Igni damage again. Any luck, it'll update.

Not sure if it will update... some attack bonuses (e.g. at full HP) don't seem to while other like sign intensity do. Worth a check though.

Ludens

Banned
Oh wow, I missed doing that
Roach
one. Which quest exactly was the
"hair dresser one with the poet?"
I can't remember one like that off the top of my head.

The poet hire you to find the missing hairdresser and write a ballad on the event.

Ludens

Banned
Hrm, where did that Exclamation mark to start it appear at?

Near the harbor in the city, where you do one of the fist fight, more or less.
Anyway I checked some guides and it seems I did all available quests, so I can uninstall the game.

PreFire

Just finished Wild Hunt lol, jumping to HOS finally, then BnW.

Once I beat all three, can I start a new game + that carries everything over from The expansions (like mutations and enchantments, mastercrafted gear) and start Geralt's quest with it?

Also, stupid question probably but I'm upset with my decisions that lead to the fate of
Ciri
in Wild Hunt. I'm sure you've all beaten it, but I spoiler tagged it anyway. In new game +, I'll be able to make the correct positive choices for the outcome I want, correct?

What fate did you guys decide for
her?
Does one of the positive ones give you the opportunity to see them as an NPC?

Thanks. So bummed right now lol

Edit: I should have just finished riding the horse lol

CloudWolf

So, is the mutation thing bugged (on NG+)? I unlocked all mutations, but the fourth extra slot won't open, it keeps saying that I need to unlock two more mutations.

Near the harbor in the city, where you do one of the fist fight, more or less.
Anyway I checked some guides and it seems I did all available quests, so I can uninstall the game.
Hmm, I did a PoI that
involved clearing monsters from a village, that was then populated by a hairdresser. I've since done all of the fist fights but met no poet, so maybe I screwed myself out of that quest.

Changing subject, where can I get paintings to hang in the Vineyard? I'm pretty sure I bought everything in the HoS auction, but they're now either missing or not an option. I've unlocked one in BaW by doing a side quest
involving wildlife photography.
Are the rest unlocked by quests, or do I need to do something specific?

Asked this a couple pages back but is it vital to complete all side quests before the point of no return warning message in B&W (for main quest)?

JBwB

OléGunner;206045157 said:
Asked this a couple pages back but is it vital to complete all side quests before the point of no return warning message in B&W (for main quest)?

No. The only side quest you need to complete before the point of no return is the Tourney quest.

The rest of the side content can be completed before or after that point.

I'm about to enter the tourney with the Skellige deck. Any tips on what cards to use and which to ignore?

I would avoid the bersekers, Ermion and mardrome cards. Ideally with Skellige deck I tend to lose the first round and let the AI waste a few cards. Try to save your strongest cards after the AI has used it's scorch card(s).

OléGunner;206045157 said:

They are side-quests aka not vital. You don't have to complete any of them but you should because they are awesome. The only missable one afaik in the Tournament.

CloudWolf

I would avoid the bersekers, Ermion and mardrome cards. Ideally with Skellige deck I tend to lose the first round and let the AI waste a few cards. Try to save your strongest cards after the AI has used it's scorch card(s).

If you luck out with the Beserkers they are incredibly strong, but yeah, they are the biggest risk. What I kinda dislike about B&W Gwent players though is that they seem to cheat. How the hell do they have two Dandelion and Villentretenmerth cards? And why do they always seem to have two-three scorch cards?

Ludens

Banned
Hmm, I did a PoI that
involved clearing monsters from a village, that was then populated by a hairdresser. I've since done all of the fist fights but met no poet, so maybe I screwed myself out of that quest.

No you can do it, I did it after I cleared the story, the city is the main one, not a small village in and there.

If you luck out with the Beserkers they are incredibly strong, but yeah, they are the biggest risk. What I kinda dislike about B&W Gwent players though is that they seem to cheat. How the hell do they have two Dandelion and Villentretenmerth cards? And why do they always seem to have two-three scorch cards?

Never seen AI use 2 Dandelion or Villen cards in one match, unless they used a medic.

You can have up to 3 scorch cards so why not the AI?

No. The only side quest you need to complete before the point of no return is the Tourney quest.

The rest of the side content can be completed before or after that point.

They are side-quests aka not vital. You don't have to complete any of them but you should because they are awesome. The only missable one afaik in the Tournament.

Thanks a bunch guys!
I just didn't want to miss out on one single side quest (they are all amazing) by progressing and I've done the tourney quest already.

Witcher 3 summed up:

My Geralt has been rocking those shades since HoS.
Until I saw my
vinyard dude wore the same ones then I took them off :p

Exentryk

Finished off Tufo Monster Contract quest. These enemies are so easy to kill, lol.

Edit: also does anyone know the percentage buff that places of power provide?

Edit 2: found an Aard place of power and the damage buff was exactly 300.

Conductors of Magic only adds the inventory stat value. It didn't seem like it was adding 50% of that, but 100% of it. Still, that's only like 500 odd more damage, which is pretty poor.

Place of Power used to add 20% intensity, so it should be that unless the latest patch changed it.

Decided to go with Grandmaster Griffin armor. Looks a lot better in game than it did in screenshots. I also have Roach in the golden blinders and saddle combo, so it really fits with the atmosphere in Toussaint.

Only issue now is the Grandmaster Steel sword needing a Mastercrafted Feline, instead of Griffin. So I'll just wait for CDPR to patch that, so I don't have to make duplicates.

On a side note, are there any dyes that you guys recommend for Griffin, or is the original color good enough?

CloudWolf

Is this for real? That quest is just called "
Marlena
" in the Polish version. CD Projekt Red seems to want to turn The Witcher into Borderlands for some godforsaken reason. I don't even want to imagine how memey and referentail Cyberpunk is going to be.

CD Projekt Red loves the referential game. One especially obvious one in Blood and Wine is the majordomo, Barnabas-Basil Foulty.

And of course, Hearts of Stone already contained a shitload of referential humor: the Fallen Knights are constantly quoting Mad Max: Fury Road, one of the guards at Oxenfurt Academy got an arrow in his knee and the fire eater who mistakes a boar for a bear reveals that his name is a play on David Attenborough.

Zocano

Jacques de Aldersburg shits all over the Wild Hunt it's not even a consideration.

Man, the Witcher 3's most story bummed me out so much ): Was eeeeh going in and even then it disappointed me.

At least Hearts of Stone is da god damn goat.

edit: Also, something that I realized while playing a few hours ago: I am disappointed by the lack of Scoia'tael ... well... anything in this game. It was always cool dealing with weirder cultures in Witcher 1 and 2 and while I only ever did Roche's path in Witcher 2, I liked the bits I had encounters with Iorveth (and the Witcher 1 Act 3 plot was great, too). RIP Iorveth and Saskia/Saesenthessis. Never did Iorveth's path and I still feel bad for all the people that got shafted super hard by CDPR.

It's a shame this game had some pretty clear development troubles and they couldn't get it all quite together.

Coreda

Conductors of Magic only adds the inventory stat value. It didn't seem like it was adding 50% of that, but 100% of it. Still, that's only like 500 odd more damage, which is pretty poor.

Place of Power used to add 20% intensity, so it should be that unless the latest patch changed it.

Thanks. Trying to figure out how best to spend 9 spare ability points.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
any word of a patch yet? i am thinking of doing a replay because there were some quests i missed out on because the game bugged out and wouldn't let me start them.

Thanks. Trying to figure out how best to spend 9 spare ability points.
Could still be worth it if Sign Intensity applies after rather than before that damage bonus... There's a lot of Sign Intensity available now. The new Griffin 6/6 set bonus is +100% while in Yrden. The armor pieces themselves have a total of +95%. The new Relic swords Vitis and Geshelf each give +20%. So unupgraded Igni is, what, 140 damage or something? All the spells can get a +25% Sign Intensity skill. So were Sign Intensity to apply after that Mutagen weapon bonus, you'd have about a 700 damage Igni that could receive an upwards of 235% Sign Intensity I guess? So, what, maybe 2200-2300 damage Igni? Well, I guess that is still not very high haha compared to what Red Strong Attacks with all the 'At 100% HP' damage bonuses can do, but could still be fun to try go full-mage.

ys45

Finished the main quest yesterday, I got the ending where
both sisters lives and Geralt kill Detlaff,the part where Geralt talk with Regis was so bittersweet at the end ....

I did like
Triss who decided to come visit me at my house lol

CHC

Is it possible to just upgrade certain areas of the vineyard? Seems like it's totally a linear path of upgrades. I wanted to start by doing the stables and the garden, but all that was offered for now was an armorers table and a grindstone?

Or maybe I'm stupid and the stables and garden are actually there. Didn't even look now that I think of it....

Started this up the other night and forgot how much the game kind of feels like work between the occasionally excellent dialogues and denouements. Regardless, if it's anywhere on the level of Bloody Baron of, dare I say, Hearts of Stone, then it'll be worth it.

CHC

any word of a patch yet? i am thinking of doing a replay because there were some quests i missed out on because the game bugged out and wouldn't let me start them.

They've been tweeting like crazy to keep sending reports to tech support and that they are working on fixes for all major reported issues. There will definitely be a patch or two, but no expected date yet.

Ricker

Yep a ''general'' patch that should fix a lot of the small glitches all over the place is being worked on...they are saying soon...

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-...m_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamer

http://www.gamesradar.com/new-witch...l&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer-oxm (Neogaf drop) ;)

noise36

A couple of questions...

Is there any point in leveling after you have maxed out usable skills in the low levels 30's?

Is there any good video or site that explains how to play gwent in an easy to understand way?

They were my go to item with the Ofieri ensemble, went perfectly together :)

yeb1kVr.gif

Yep a ''general'' patch that should fix a lot of the small glitches all over the place is being worked on...they are saying soon...

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-...m_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamer

http://www.gamesradar.com/new-witch...l&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer-oxm (Neogaf drop) ;)

Excellent news!
I really hope they fix the lock on bug.

NotUS

Just finished Blood & Wine, ~40hrs for me.

Can't believe this incredible journey is over:

• Witcher 1
  • Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
  • Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Hearts of Stone
  • Blood & Wine
Gonna sip some White Wolf, sample some Fisstech & plough a Strumpet whilst I wait for Cyberpunk 2077.

Outstanding achievement CDPR.

1286968_large.jpg

usp84

Is there a potion that clears the new mutagens abilities like the potion of clearence from the main game?

Carbonox

Started from the very very beginning on Death March. Going to do a complete run of the main game and expansions. Currently in Vizima. Not too difficult on Death March so far which is good.

Game puts a massive smile on my face, so happy to be back in this world.

Side question: They ensured that every Gwent card can be obtained now and none are missable, correct? Pretty sure I got every card I could in White Orchard before Vizima but just wanted to check. So many guides online aren't taking in to account patches and stuffs.

Jacknapes

That "Extreme Cosplay" quest, struggled a bit until i
used Igni on the non-mages, then used Axii to mind control the mages to attack each other. Then Axii on the remaining one to stop it attacking me, so i could take it out.

Otherwise, the Wine Wars quest. I managed to
solve the issue with both Vineyards, then had 2 additional quests (had another Vineyard once i solved whom was sabotaging the other 2). Now i get a steady supply of wine to my own Vineyard, as well as a new cook from another side quest.

Have fully upgraded Corvo Blanco, looks quite nice and i have various pieces of armour and swords on display.

I think i'm nearly done with the main quest stuff, and have a few side-quests left as well as a Witcher contract. Probably get it done this week.

Mendrox

Started from the very very beginning on Death March. Going to do a complete run of the main game and expansions. Currently in Vizima. Not too difficult on Death March so far which is good.

Game puts a massive smile on my face, so happy to be back in this world.

Side question: They ensured that every Gwent card can be obtained now and none are missable, correct? Pretty sure I got every card I could in White Orchard before Vizima but just wanted to check. So many guides online aren't taking in to account patches and stuffs.

You can still miss the tourney cards.

Top Bottom