• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher III: Blood & Wine |OT| One last contract, one last plough

SeanTSC

Oh, I think the only thing that really bummed me out in Blood and Wine is part of the new mutagen stuff. I really hate that you can't put the Yellow skills in the new slots, even with the highest tier mixed color mutagens. =( I'd totally use more of them if you could.

As it is I used 4x Red Mutagens with 3x red skills in all of them but one and just used the Cat School Techniques and 2 reds in that. Then used the first Quen skill and the first two Axii skills in my 3 new slots (unlocking all 4 takes way too much for me). For the Mutation thing I used Metamorphasis, which is really awesome and is basically always up for me.

If I could put Yellows in the new slots I'd have went 3x Red Mutagens + 1x Blue and then done 3 yellows in the new unlinked slots. Probably Cat School Techniques, Strong Back, and either Focus or Gorged on Power.

I beat the tourney first try too, also my first time ever playing the Skellige deck.

Got beat up by the dwarves though
😥 Really did not expect that.

Kain

How many differents endings are there?

I got (huge spoilers)

the one were Syanna kills Arietta and then Damien kills Syanna....... is this the bad ending? Granted later Yen comes and everything is pretty and unicorns, but still, I liked the Duchess :S

Need to replay this thing.

Just need that one match where you don't pull any spies, and the opponent has a Nilf filled with spies. Since you don't have any decoys, RIP.

(I had a similar outcome last night against
Ducal Camerlengo (Spelling?)
. His leader card nullifies your leader ability.)

It's the one outcome where the deck can lose, and it's super unlikely (it's never happened to me and I play a lot of gwent).

As for their spies, you use your cards that allow you to pull from your discard pile and send them right back to them the next round. In fact, the opponent playing spies is detrimental with my deck.

Edit: For the record I fully understand this wouldn't work against human players, but the gwent AI is pretty simple.

SeanTSC

How many differents endings are there?

I got (huge spoilers)

the one were Syanna kills Arietta and then Damien kills Syanna....... is this the bad ending? Granted later Yen comes and everything is pretty and unicorns, but still, I liked the Duchess :S

Need to replay this thing.

There's a few.

(Huge spoilers too)

I killed the vamp guy, had Syanna and Anna make up and forgive each other, got a medal and a huge reward from Anna, a nice long chat with Regis, and settled down with Yen at my vineyard.

Happy endings for all indeed.

Cyborg

After a long time Ive picked up Witcher 3 again amazing game! But what is up with Geralt's movement? Is he on ice?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I'd say you have maybe a third left to go, perhaps a bit more. Depends how fast you're going through everything. You're also very close to the point where some side-quests will be closed off, I believe (the game will warn you).

~50% through depending on what sidequests you have been doing. Minor spoiler
Some of the major sidequest chains become optional sub-objectives in the main quest just past where you are. So if you have already completed them then it will shorten a fair bit of main quest stuff.

Interesting. Thanks y'all. So should I kind of back off the main quest at the moment and try and polish off more sidequests and contracts?

I also want to build up a Witcher school set, I have the first Cat and Wolf armor, not sure which I want to go with all the way yet. I kind of like the viper armor look but you can't get that until HoS right?

SeanTSC

Interesting. Thanks y'all. So should I kind of back off the main quest at the moment and try and polish off more sidequests and contracts?

I also want to build up a Witcher school set, I have the first Cat and Wolf armor, not sure which I want to go with all the way yet. I kind of like the viper armor look but you can't get that until HoS right?

Yeah, Viper is in HoS. Also, Viper sadly does not have a Grandmaster set in Blood and Wine.

Personally I like using the Cat set with the Fuck Arrows Enchantment and stacking as much Atk Bonus as possible with Skills/Mutagens.

Coreda

Talkin' like I never played a card game before.

The swarm decks are just unyielding and inconsistent and decoy + spy spam will win 99 times out of 100. The only deck I lost even more than once to was the nilfgaard deck and it's literally because he always had the spy/decoy spam ready except one time. I won cause I got lucky and nothing else.

This is how the matches went for me against the Nilf guy. Was itching for my monster deck.

Exentryk

I don't notice the issue with his movement much because my character can't sprint. I've modded it out. So, the best he'll do is jog, and even that is only when I press the button. Experiencing the areas while walking keeps the movement issues to a minimum, while also enhancing immersion.

But I know console users can't do this, which sucks.

BigTnaples

I don't notice the issue with his movement much because my character can't sprint. I've modded it out. So, the best he'll do is jog, and even that is only when I press the button. Experiencing the areas while walking keeps the movement issues to a minimum, while also enhancing immersion.

But I know console users can't do this, which sucks.

Couldn't you just... Not use the sprint button?

I mean, I forgot you could sprint until I did a quest where I was racing someone, and realized you hold A to sprint. But if I wanted to I could easily play without hitting it, not like you can accidentally do it.

So I guess what I am asking is, why would you need to mod the game?

Exentryk

Couldn't you just... Not use the sprint button?

I mean, I forgot you could sprint until I did a quest where I was racing someone, and realized you hold A to sprint. But if I wanted to I could easily play without hitting it, not like you can accidentally do it.

So I guess what I am asking is, why would you need to mod the game?

It's because I wanted it so the when the left stick is fully extended, the player walks instead of jogs. So, in pretty much all the areas, I'll only use walking. Only when I absolutely can't be bothered will I use jog.

BigTnaples

It's because I wanted it so the when the left stick is fully extended, the player walks instead of jogs. So, in pretty much all the areas, I'll only use walking. Only when I absolutely can't be bothered will I use jog.

Ah that makers sense. So your sprint button is now jog?

Defensive, much? It's funny that, eventually, you all admitted you got (or "probably")lucky. Look it's not a big deal, I won my first time through as well, and I smashed the dwarves, and I'm on Hard Gwent difficulty and Death March. Yay for artificial difficulty! I fully admit that I won through cheesing the deck though, because it's complete and utter garbage. Also you know full well which decks you are about to play so you don't "always" run scorches and decoys. Decoys are useless against the other Skellige Deck, the monster deck, and the Scoia'tiel deck. None of them use spies that you can decoy and you only have one medic. Making the decoy-medic trick pointless. You only play them against the guy who uses Nilfgard. Which would've crushed us all if he pulled all of his spies and we didn't pull any decoys. Like I said, we got lucky, some didn't. Let's not conflate that with some innate skill of a poorly balanced card game.

There's no salt, I'm just logical so when something is bad, it is what it is. I don't feel some irrational need to leap to it's defense. It can just be bad, the expansion is outstanding, gwent does not take away from that. Now the bug to my house, that does. Anyone can make just about any build or deck in the game good, doesn't mean it's actually good, it's just good enough to beat the computer who's brainless.

Kain

There's a few.

(Huge spoilers too)

I killed the vamp guy, had Syanna and Anna make up and forgive each other, got a medal and a huge reward from Anna, a nice long chat with Regis, and settled down with Yen at my vineyard.

Happy endings for all indeed.

Thanks!

I'll replay the whole thing (got a save file just before the point of no return) between Overwatch binges xD

The latest reply:

The fact it's the same cat model each time is what's driving me crazy. I just wish it was a gag they used in Witcher 1 and 2, I guess, since my only exposure is through the games.

FVXQi1u.png

As I mentioned here, it could be a gag referring to Sapkowski, or to the lead writer. I don't think it's G'OD or anyone else, though.

Carn82

Question for you all; I'm finishing up on the main quest (already completed HoS) before diving into Blood and Wine; are you free to continue playing after the main storyline or does the game force you into a newgame+ situation?

Braag

When I put Viper on an armor stand the body armor turns a red colour, anyone else getting that?

It's a glitch, happened to mine as well.
We need to wait for yet another massive patch which will fix a ton of issues, except for B&W this time.

BigTnaples

So been on my mind as I'm playing this, has Sapkoski said a lot (or anything) about the Witcher games, their success, how he thinks his world has been realized within them?

Also, is there any artwork from the books, prior to the Witcher becoming a game series?

jediyoshi

Question for you all; I'm finishing up on the main quest (already completed HoS) before diving into Blood and Wine; are you free to continue playing after the main storyline or does the game force you into a newgame+ situation?

You're always free to continue no matter what you've finished.

So been on my mind as I'm playing this, has Sapkoski said a lot (or anything) about the Witcher games, their success, how he thinks his world has been realized within them?

Also, is there any artwork from the books, prior to the Witcher becoming a game series?

Q1
He doesn't play games, so he wouldn't know. He also thinks that its impossible for the two mediums to intersect.

Andrzej Sapkowski said:
A story can only be contained in a book.

He's a business man, and the thing he likes most about the games (as well as that "shitty Wiedzmin" movie - his words, not mine, although I agree) is the big, big money they bring.

His books are his books. He doesn't really care what CDPR does. My personal opinion looking at some of the interviews he's done, like with Eurogamer, or here's two YouTube ones (1 , 2), he's a bit of an ass. He's a rich ass though, so I mean...

Q2
Yes, it was a book series long before the games came out. Look up the Polish (these are the latest) or Spanish (and now UK) artworks.

Dec

Q1
He doesn't play games, so he wouldn't know. He also thinks that its impossible for the two mediums to intersect.

He's a business man, and the thing he likes most about the games (as well as that "shitty Wiedzmin" movie - his words, not mine, although I agree) is the big, big money they bring.

His books are his books. He doesn't really care what CDPR does. My personal opinion looking at some of the interviews he's done, like with Eurogamer, or here's two YouTube ones (1 , 2), he's a bit of an ass. He's a rich ass though, so I mean...

Q2
Yes, it was a book series long before the games came out. Look up the Polish (these are the latest) or Spanish (and now UK) artworks.

The games are reverential but ultimately pretty disrespectful of the books.

I don't think he outwardly dislikes them so much as he doesn't really care but is happy with the exposure they have given his books to the rest of the world.

Lets be honest though, the books end beautifully and the games unwrap that ending, give Geralt amnesia and it strikes me as a bit selfish.

Zocano

Hearts of Stone spoiled me.

I prefer the really focused small quest lines that that offered over the sort of aimless going abouts that Blood and Wine is doing (which, to be fair, is just evoking the base game). Witcher 3 was good but it still has Dragon Age: Inquisition-esque problems (though nothing to that extreme).

edit: Also, fuck, that music.

FUUUUUCK that music.

Hearts of Stone is the slowest burn expansion for me ever. The admiration and recognition are all popping after the fact.

Coreda

Hearts of Stone spoiled me.

I prefer the really focused small quest lines that that offered over the sort of aimless going abouts that Blood and Wine is doing (which, to be fair, is just evoking the base game). Witcher 3 was good but it still has Dragon Age: Inquisition-esque problems (though nothing to that extreme).

edit: Also, bubble, that music.

FUUUUUCK that music.

Side quests or the main quest? As I felt the quests and characters in B&W more satisfying than those of HoS, even if initially I wasn't super won over by the setting.

And you don't like the music? Whaaa.

Finished it after 40 hours. Got the bad ending, which I felt was more fitting. Then played the last few hours for the good ending, which was nice, but didn't have the punch that the bad one had. Watched the third ending on YouTube. Easily my GOTY. Gonna miss Geralt so much.

Any other cool secrets besides the talking roach quest and finding Vivienne in Novigrad?

Zocano

And you don't like the music? Whaaa.

Nah. It's that Hearts of Stone's main motif is so damn good that I keep thinking back to it rather than enjoying Blood and Wine's which is okay but overall eeeeeeeeh? so far. The battle theme is great, tho.

Roussow

Yeah.... or go back to the previous scene and take a bunch of screenshots. I love this guy's character model....

Hopefully the bug gets fixed soon though. I've already done a ton of side stuff (every grandmaster diagram and lots of quests along the way). I was ready to advance the plot a bit...

So I really liked that scene, but I was a little distracted by the giant centipedes burying silently in the background of the entire cutscene, kicking up dust and shooting yellow liquid all over the characters throughout. It was a good laugh.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ugliest game around.

witcher32016-06-0819-62sg2.jpg

MadYarpen

I started wine wars quests. Wonder if I can do both or just have to choose one path.

The redhead, obviously.

Anyway, just before turning off the game I bumped into archespores in this quest. This will require some serious thinking. Shit is wrecking my Geralt.

Flipyap

The games are reverential but ultimately pretty disrespectful of the books.

I don't think he outwardly dislikes them so much as he doesn't really care but is happy with the exposure they have given his books to the rest of the world.

Lets be honest though, the books end beautifully and the games unwrap that ending, give Geralt amnesia and it strikes me as a bit selfish.
I would love it if someone could find a way to sit Sapkowski in front of a camera and show him some key scenes from the video games.

Sapkowskis React could be the next youtube sensation.

....okay, he'd probably just shrug and go back to counting his money.

Loomba

Just started hearts of stone, is it normal for enemies to be taking 8-9 clean hits before dying? It's not my weapon damage either, I have picked up one from a corpse and still the same...

It doesn't help that every battle I've had so far has had 5+ people at once, seems like I have to hit, roll, hit, roll, get hit, run away and repeat; just isn't fun.

I don't remember it being like this in the main game (haven't played in a bout a year though).

Might have to lower the difficulty not because it's hard, but because it's tedious as fuck. I'm playing on the second hardest btw.

Ludens

Banned
Am I missing any exclamation mark quests?

I did:

-Paperchase
-The Roach one
-The hairdresser one with the poet
-The painter one
-The cosplay one

I can't find other it seems.

Top Bottom