• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher III: Blood & Wine |OT| One last contract, one last plough

Stoze

What bonus is being applied to the greater red mutagen to raise it to 60% attack power? Edit: I see you must be on NG+.

Synergy, it's a third tier skill in the Alchemy tree that boosts all mutagen effects by 50%. It's nuts and you should always go for it if you have the ability points to spare regardless of what build you're actually running. edit: beat

Exentryk

AVggdYY.png

How is your stamina 117 instead of 100? Some late item/gear in B&W offer this?

Coreda

Synergy, it's a third tier skill in the Alchemy tree that boosts all mutagen effects by 50%. It's nuts and you should always go for it if you have the ability points to spare regardless of what build you're actually running. edit: beat

It may be worth respec'ing for it just for the Sign intensity mutagens, since the Signs tree only offers decent Aard % power bonuses after spending a considerable amount of points. Problem would be I only have one Signs row so the bonus wouldn't be as much.

Doing the mutation quest at level 30 to grab Euphoria also makes the vanilla end game bosses just silly. :p

I hate nerfs in single player games, so I say just buff everything else so Euphoria is a little less appealing. I mean, seriously? 200% damage (plus Sign damage through the roof on a build that has zero blue abilities), or hurt enemies a bit when they strike Geralt? Oh boy, 25% more damage against certain enemies on the combat path.

GeeTeeCee

I think I might swap out my Feline armour for something heavier. Quite a few enemies in the dlc are capable of dropping my health at an alarmingly quick rate.

Exentryk

I'm glad we have something like Euphoria. Devs have nerfed every other fun thing, and have not buffed a single game element.

JoeMartin

How is your stamina 117 instead of 100? Some late item/gear in B&W offer this?

You know I never really gave thought to this and now that I'm checking I have no idea. Nothing I'm wearing explicitly says it's giving me more and all the variations of gear and decoctions I'm using don't seem to be changing it.

Exentryk

You know I never really gave thought to this and now that I'm checking I have no idea. Nothing I'm wearing explicitly says it's giving me more and all the variations of gear and decoctions I'm using don't seem to be changing it.

You've probably bugged it via some mods or something. Next patch should fix it.

I'm glad we have something like Euphoria. Devs have nerfed every other fun thing, and have not buffed a single game element.

There is a long list of things I feel like CDPR are the best at, but they are clueless when it comes to balance. Shockingly so. I'll never understand what they were thinking with the abilities, slots, and locked tiers. The ability tree in Witcher 2 was OK, minus the training tree, filled with things Geralt should have just had from the start.

Zocano

The hell...how!? I thought I did everything I could :(

(ending discussion)
It's pretty much all based on talking down Syanna and saying the right things to her otherwise she will be vengeful to the end. Also warning the Duchess is necessary, I think, too.

Exentryk

There is a long list of things I feel like CDPR are the best at, but they are clueless when it comes to balance. Shockingly so. I'll never understand what they were thinking with the abilities, slots, and locked tiers. The ability tree in Witcher 2 was OK, minus the training tree, filled with things Geralt should have just had from the start.

I don't even agree that a single player game needs to be balanced AFTER it has been released. Once players start learning your game mechanics, don't keep changing them with every patch. If a ability is not working, then fixing that is fine. But nerfing? Hell no.

Hopefully the team will get better, and can take in more inspiration from good ARPG skill systems like Dragon's Dogma or others for their future games.

Coreda

(ending discussion)
Also warning the Duchess is necessary, I think, too.

It's not, no. I didn't
warn anyone since I believed it would ruin any chance of redemption, but apparently others did and still had the same ending.

As for talking
to Syanna you first have to go with Regis to the shoe shine boy which results in discovering the Dutchess is the last named victim, giving you the ability to see Syanna in the room alone.

Zocano

I
went to find Syanna and even warned the Duchess. Perhaps like Zocano said I have to talk her down? I think my conversation choices egged her on.

Yah that is most definitely the case. I'm not sure on the exact requirements, but I'd take a guess and say
you *have* to pick the exact appropriate peaceful response each time.

SugarDave

I
went to find Syanna and even warned the Duchess. Perhaps like Zocano said I have to talk her down? I think my conversation choices egged her on.

Based on the conversations in Shrekville, I picked the dialogue option that guessed she wanted kill Anarietta because she abandoned her, then asked if she ever considered forgiving her since she was just a child. This was when you visit her before the ceremony. That seemed to be what sealed the deal of reconciliation, I almost picked the option that chastised her for finally being honest and I guess that would've just pissed her off.

Thorgal

Combat/alch crossover at endgame completely trivializes combat, even on death march. And for no other reason than that Euphoria is completely ridiculous. Do I want to do 210% more damage all the time? Sure why not, how do I do that? Oh just have 4 decoctions active all the time while taking no threshold damage. Okay.

Combine with ekhinda decoction, spam rend or whirlwind as appropriate, never die, hit everything for 20k+ from 3 meters away.

gonna give this a shot .

which witcher gear should i pick for max effect ? Griffin ?

what are you wearing ?

I

You pretty much have to be sympathetic toward that party member. If you read the journal in the playroom and took the time to listen to what was bothering her while in
the land of fables
, you'll get the gist of what's appropriate to say without provoking her.

In short, don't throw her under the bus...lol

Grandmaster Wolven Gear Quest was fairly short, but enjoyable none the less.

Best part is you don't even need the prior diagrams to craft them! I think they did that because some people couldn't access certain diagrams due to a glitch.

pablito

So I've unlocked some of the mutagen upgrades. I have a slot open in the middle but I can't seem to put an ability on it. Is it specific abilities I have to put there, or am I missing something else?

Stoze

So I've unlocked some of the mutagen upgrades. I have a slot open in the middle but I can't seem to put an ability on it. Is is specific abilities I have to put there, or am I missing something else?

Yes, you have to put abilities on there that match the color of the Mutagen.

Exentryk

So I've unlocked some of the mutagen upgrades. I have a slot open in the middle but I can't seem to put an ability on it. Is is specific abilities I have to put there, or am I missing something else?

Check the coloured line/s underneath those slots. Only those coloured abilities can go there.

iLLmAtlc

Fucking rant time...

Brawling in this game fucking sucks. It's just so poorly done.

Alright so I'm level 45. I have a level 42 story quest. When I approach my objective, I get into a fist fight with 3 guys of an unknown level.

I'm decked out in full grandmaster gear and I'm 3 levels over the recommended for this quest. And yet 2 FUCKING PUNCHES from these guys kill me.

2. Punches. From regular shmucks. And I'm a fucking WITCHER. I take more hits from SWORDS and friggin WARHAMMERS. But 2 punches and I'm dead and forced to start over.

This is dumb. The brawling has never been fun so I don't even know why they kept it in.

I'm with you. Take away my signs, concoctions and potions and I'm like a fish out of water in this game. My top 3 banes (deathmarch):

1. Imlerith
2. Group battle in
warble of a smitten knight
3. Fist fight in the same quest

I think the problem is it's so easy to be surrounded when the space is so small and allies so shitty. Of course their damage is so high too.

Someone was mentioning a relic type armor in this expansion that is missables. Can someone spoil me what it is and where?

Right now, I am sporting Manticore (does his have grandmaster version btw?), GM Griffin and GM Ursine.

You'll find them both after Night of Long Fangs quest, depending on which path you choose.

The Toussaint relic set along with its steel sword is found
in the Land of Fables (Syanna's path)
and the Han Gaidth relic set is found
in the cave where you meet the unseen elder to summon Detlaff

You can't have both of them. You'll have to decide which one you want because they're found on different paths.

Coreda

Someone was mentioning a relic type armor in this expansion that is missables. Can someone spoil me what it is and where?

Right now, I am sporting Manticore (does his have grandmaster version btw?), GM Griffin and GM Ursine.

Missables that I've found in this expansion. Spoil at your own choice. Most aren't Witcher-y looking fwiw.

• Relic armor + steel sword
    can be found when taking a fork in the main story, the one that takes you to a fantasy land. A dead knight to the left of the main tower is wearing it. The armor is just a version of the fancy knight armor with good specs. The steel sword has 20% sign intensity of every type and a fancy spiral guard.
    FoxnHurley above mentioned another set that can be found in a different story branch.
  • Relic silver sword
    matching silver sword to the one mentioned above. Can be found by jumping over the left side of the bridge after reaching the clouds of the fantasy land and following a path back down to a cave. Identical sign intensity of every type.
    You can find the diagram to this sword but it has completely different stats.
  • Unique showpiece-y sword
    win the knight tournament in the quest The Warble of a Smitten Knight. It's an oversized gold steel sword with good damage but is more a display trophy.
  • Renamed sword (1)
    by beating the first Gwent contestant in the Gwent tournament when choosing to exchange your silver sword is you lose (save or swap weapons before entering the tourney just in case).
  • Renamed sword (2)
    given by a blacksmith when choosing to place a wife's urn outside a crypt during the sidequest Till Death Do You Part.
  • Dwarven style steel sword
    reward for choosing the non-violent path in the Paperchase sidequest.
  • A particular silver sword
    Aerondight which is obtainable after completing the There Can Only Be One sidequest.

The renamed swords aren't anything worth caring for.

JoeMartin

gonna give this a shot .

which witcher gear should i pick for max effect ? Griffin ?

what are you wearing ?

I'm wearing cat gear + manticore pants (to push me over 280 max toxicity so I can use 4 decoctions).

Silver is Aerondight and steel is Touissant.

Anyone receive their qwent bundle yet if you had the season pass. I did the redeemgwent for heart of stone last time and don't remember it taking this long. Sorry if this has been answered.

I finished it yesterday. I got the
good
ending my first try without looking anything up, very proud of my self.
I basically did everything i could to make Regis happy, since i read the books and Regis was a character that always helped Geralt and Co for no reason other than to be nice, so i wanted to pay him back for that, ironically doing that resulted in the good ending.

I lucked out because i just happened to have a manual save right at an important decision so i went back and
visited the unseen elder, the Orianna part was more interesting though, loved the tension between her and Geralt when he caught her biting the child

This is pinnacle of DLC imo, great quality, lots of content, great price. It could have been 40 dollars and i would have been happy to buy it.

I also got
the good ending and i am proud of myself lol, it was easy to get the good ending as Syanna was a well written character and it was easy to sympathise with her.Also loved Regis, such a cool guy.

Man these guys are good at story telling and character development,I hope they go on to make games in different genres in the near future.

Damn, thanks for the reply!

No problem -- I find it disappointing as well, but at least they let people know. I'd rather have a semi-firm shipping date than a nebulous "whenever it happens" kind of deal.

If you want to check, they keep the Gwent Deck store page updated with the current starting date for shipments. Currently, it looks like it's starting around July 11th.
Seems like it's the same whether you got just the Blood and Wine cards, or the Hearts of Stone + Blood and Wine combo pack.

Based on the conversations in Shrekville, I picked the dialogue option that guessed she wanted kill Anarietta because she abandoned her, then asked if she ever considered forgiving her since she was just a child. This was when you visit her before the ceremony. That seemed to be what sealed the deal of reconciliation, I almost picked the option that chastised her for finally being honest and I guess that would've just pissed her off.
Yea that seems to be what I did wrong. Good thing I saved before that hehe. Thanks!

Tyaren

toussaint looks so lovely. i'll never get tired of it.

I agree. To me Toussaint is the most beautiful open game world that I ever visited. CD Projekt Red really outdid themselves. The colors, the city, the castle, the rolling hills... It's pure magic. Props to them!

JustinBB7

No problem -- I find it disappointing as well, but at least they let people know. I'd rather have a semi-firm shipping date than a nebulous "whenever it happens" kind of deal.

If you want to check, they keep the Gwent Deck store page updated with the current starting date for shipments. Currently, it looks like it's starting around July 11th.
Seems like it's the same whether you got just the Blood and Wine cards, or the Hearts of Stone + Blood and Wine combo pack.

Everything is out of stock on that site that I want, I want the mug, medalion and all gwent sets, didn't know they were only 10 bucks each if you have the season pass. But yea everything out of stock, shipping will most likely cost a lot so I'd want it all in one go, looks like that's not gonna happen anytime soon :(

That's a bug with the level scaling in that quest. I had the same thing happen. Went to options, turned off level scaling, and they were no longer level SKULL and two-shotting me. The level scaling is buggy in general so I just turned it off.

It is bugged, but without it turned on, I'm way over-leveled for most areas and the game becomes boring. Ideally, they'd fix it. But I'll probably beat the game before the next patch.

I actually feel like they do need it in the game...there are times when talking isn't going to work, yet you don't want to kill them either, but damn do I wish it was actually good/fun.

I guess I don't have a problem with brawling existing, just that it's not very fun, and it makes me feel weak when I'm an armored Witcher losing to normal dudes wearing plain old shirts. It is easy to counter, but the amount of damage they do compared to me is insane.

You should at least be able to AXII during those fights. I managed to beat it with the decoction that adds quen when I take more than 1\3rd damage. Food healing kept me alive in the meantime.

Missables that I've found in this expansion. Spoil at your own choice. Most aren't Witcher-y looking fwiw.

• Relic armor + steel sword
    can be found when taking a fork in the main story, the one that takes you to a fantasy land. A dead knight to the left of the main tower is wearing it. The armor is just a version of the fancy knight armor with good specs. The steel sword has 20% sign intensity of every type and a fancy spiral guard.
    FoxnHurley above mentioned another set that can be found in a different story branch.

• Yeah each branch basically has a full set... all 4 armor pieces, steel sword, silver sword.

For the
    Syanna
    path it's the Toussaint armor like you said, plus that Vitis steel sword and then the Geshelf silver sword (this is the Easter Egg one). (location spoilers but no story dialogue)

For the
    Unseen
    path, it's the Hen Gaidth armor set, mask, and steel sword, and the Catana silver sword. (location spoilers but no story dialogue)

Both of these 'sets' basically have the top armor/resistance in the game, Hen Gaidth is probably the best steel sword in the game, and then Catana is probably the 2nd best silver sword... it's a little below Aerondight (and it's got more typical stats rather than the unqiue Aerondight bonus).

The downside to both is the lack of relevant set bonuses and also Witcher sets typically have much more +monster resistance ... +62% monster resistance and, say, 500 AC vs 0% monster resistance and 600 AC... despite the better armor, than monster resistance is gonna be more useful on contract hunts (or vampires I guess?).

You can get the Hen Gaidth steel sword and gauntlets during either path though as long as you do the (mission location spoiler)
    Orphanage
    in either and just either continue or switch after you get the
    cave key

Also, the Tashma Mutna set (and importantly, its mask) stack with the Hen Gaidth set... so you can use the 2 Hen Gaith items and the Tashma Mutna mask and still get the 3/6 Vitality drain bonus.

Interesting random point... maybe my favorite gauntlets are the game are just the Nilfgaardian ones from random merchants haha. Anyone else notice they have a huge +50% crit damage bonus =p AC is pretty high too.

MartyStu

With B&W done, I have finally gotten around to finishing the main quest as well.

I am so drained.

My 'time played' reads 305 hours. I am positive it is a little less than that, but not by much.

Will replay when someone makes a full combat re-balance.

Top Bottom