• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher III: Blood & Wine |OT| One last contract, one last plough

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Random stuff:

Maybe I just suck at navigation but on "Contract: Missing Brother" I searched those caves like 4 times in and out of the water and never found the last 4 egg sacks and never found the brother. There was a big red marker like there was a second monster, but when I finally found it, it was flashing in part of the wall where there was definitely nothing on the other side. I feel like it's a bugged mission.

Another time some possible-bug worked in my favor. I stumbled on a werewolf guarding something but when I saw it was 10 levels over me I noped the fuck out, then later I went through a cave with some easier monsters and it came out to the same spot but the werewolf wasn't there anymore and it was a diagram for some ursine armor.

Then one time I was fighting some griffin on an island and I shot it with my crossbow as it was over water. It fell into the water and acted mostly dead but didn't die. Just floated on the water occasionally screeching in pain and I couldn't target it anymore. Weird.

I also found some pirate island and there was some note from a kind of demon telling them to bring people to a cellar because it demanded blood, but I couldn't find the cellar. There appeared to be more places in the fortress to go but I couldn't access them, so I assume it's tied to a mission where an NPC unlocks some doors. Likewise I found a cave with some high level wild hunt ghosts (which I could fight because they are slow) and at the end was just a bricked up doorway with no way through. Since a lot of diagrams and recipes are found by going to the question marks on the map, I kind of wish there was some kind of distinction between normal spots and "nothing will happen here until the game magically unlocks it for you" spots.

Also random question: Any of you also usually spare talkative trolls and succubi? I find they usually haven't done anything really wrong and people just want to kill them for what they are, but their nature and associated possible consequences isn't too far off from mankind so I often leave them be. It usually pisses off the villagers but who cares, they aren't monster PhDs like Geralt.

btw was there ever that patch yesterday? i never saw any new download on PSN (Canada)... the one related to the tweet about the house/quest. was it a hotfix or something that just doesn't show up as a typically patch download ;p

Random stuff:

Maybe I just suck at navigation but on "Contract: Missing Brother" I searched those caves like 4 times in and out of the water and never found the last 4 egg sacks and never found the brother. There was a big red marker like there was a second monster, but when I finally found it, it was flashing in part of the wall where there was definitely nothing on the other side. I feel like it's a bugged mission.

I just did Missing Brother on a character, and it worked fine. You have to dive in the water to find the last 4 eggs to burn (so dive in the water to get to the new area, then follow monster tracks and dive in water again until you reach a room with eggs in it), or just find the monster room and kill it.

It'd be great if the vendor guy in White Orchard just sold the level 35 Kaer Morehn armor that they give you if you start a Hearts of Stone new game. It's too bad you can't get that armor in the regular game because it's everyone's favorite.
It is a shame you can't upgrade your favorite looking armor, I mean be it Kaer Morhen or some other armor, if you upgrade it then it looses its cool look, and even if you survive playing with an underpowered armor, there comes a point where it becomes a hassle rather than a challenge.
Currently my favorite is Base Game Manticore, The Witcher 1 feeling all over again.

Random stuff:

Try going underwater, there are caves and whatnot, maybe you missed one ?, there is a mother or big monster you need to kill.
Another time some possible-bug worked in my favor. I stumbled on a werewolf guarding something but when I saw it was 10 levels over me I noped the fuck out, then later I went through a cave with some easier monsters and it came out to the same spot but the werewolf wasn't there anymore and it was a diagram for some ursine armor.
Skellige right ?, It may depends on the time of day/night.
Not really sure, but it did happen to me.
I also found some pirate island and there was some note from a kind of demon telling them to bring people to a cellar because it demanded blood, but I couldn't find the cellar. There appeared to be more places in the fortress to go but I couldn't access them, so I assume it's tied to a mission where an NPC unlocks some doors. Likewise I found a cave with some high level wild hunt ghosts (which I could fight because they are slow) and at the end was just a bricked up doorway with no way through. Since a lot of diagrams and recipes are found by going to the question marks on the map, I kind of wish there was some kind of distinction between normal spots and "nothing will happen here until the game magically unlocks it for you" spots.
The Pirate turf, there is nothing to find, it is a nod to Cthulhu. I kinda wish there was some sort of a monster there.
As for the 2nd cave, there is a story quest tied to it.
Also random question: Any of you also usually spare talkative trolls and succubi? I find they usually haven't done anything really wrong and people just want to kill them for what they are, but their nature and associated possible consequences isn't too far off from mankind so I often leave them be. It usually pisses off the villagers but who cares, they aren't monster PhDs like Geralt.
I tend to spare them as well, at least I did in my first playthrough, Witchers don't kill monsters who do no harm.

CHC

Fuck yes my lock on is back!

Seems like that asshole Guillame borrowed it because it disappeared right after I did his quest and came back when I saw him again MUCH later. Really weird bug.

kaiiri

So now that I have finally finished all the DLCs, decided to go back and have some fun with new game plus since I haven't done that yet.

Was able to get all the stuff I wanted to take with me to the new game plus (Witcher Gear, Aerondight).

I thought I read that the new game plus statts mobs at level 30. Yet mine are all around 50. That.. normal?

iLLmAtlc

Does the world contain many unmarked quests? I'm not too keen on other stuff like treasure hunts, guarded treasures, nests, etc.

I know equine phantoms was unmarked so I wouldn't want to miss too many like that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Man the Skellige night water looks much worse with the new shader. I also have seen any super still variant of the current.

jediyoshi

I thought I read that the new game plus statts mobs at level 30. Yet mine are all around 50. That.. normal?

Yeah, I imagine it starts at your level and 30 is the minimum to account for if you started NG+ after beating the game and no expansions.

I was set to hold on to my gear for a bit, but you swap everything out pretty quickly.

kaiiri

Yeah, I imagine it starts at your level and 30 is the minimum to account for if you started NG+ after beating the game and no expansions.

I was set to hold on to my gear for a bit, but you swap everything out pretty quickly.

Bleh. Ya seems like it. Been playing an hour or so now, and though the 50ish enemies are still pretty weak, all the current gear is better than any of the Grandmaster stuff I have.

I hear Aerondight is suppose to level with you?

EDIT: Nevermind. Found my answer about Aerondight

zer0das

Banned
The three herbs necessary for any of the given mutagen transumations are found exclusively from the garden upgrade at Corva Bianco.

I hope the they fix the vineyard bug where stuff doesn't finish building, because the herb garden was one of the two things left that never finished building. And I still can't find enough red mutagens to round out my build.

SeanTSC

I think he's mainly talking about acquiring the
ribbon which is the big thing that gives you a good ending. It is kind of silly why you would get that for her, the ribbon is pure dues ex machina.

Otherwise, people tend to forget that going that route is quickest and safest way to
safe the people of Beauclair. Regis mentions multiple times that seeking out the elder vampire takes longer and is more arduous, and it turns out he's right. It's even hit home when Geralt tries to say we should hurry in fairy tale land, Syanna informs him time stands still there.

I don't think it's silly that you'd do that. I play doing every single quest and objective possible. Geralt doesn't care, he has time for your shit if you ask him. Talking to that person and getting that item popped up as an objective in the quest. So Geralt was like, sure why not, I GOT TIME! Hell, I don't even haggle price when I do quests, I just outright accept everything. No matter how big or how small, Geralt did it *all* in my playthrough of The Witcher 3.

Dice

I'm surprised how many people try to screw you over and then beg for mercy. Don't they understand how a reputation works? If I go around forgiving people, word will get out that you can fuck with witchers. That's bad for me and all my witcher bros. Can't have that, plus Geralt is even really good about warning them ahead of time. Don't fuck with witchers.

I just did Missing Brother on a character, and it worked fine. You have to dive in the water to find the last 4 eggs to burn (so dive in the water to get to the new area, then follow monster tracks and dive in water again until you reach a room with eggs in it), or just find the monster room and kill it.
Try going underwater, there are caves and whatnot, maybe you missed one ?, there is a mother or big monster you need to kill.
That's the thing, I thought I swam everywhere and went up into every new cave path you possibly can. Found no more eggs and no Bruno, and apparently if you kill the monster first those fail so that's what happened. Still got my XP and gold in the end, but it was just weird.

CHC

Man I was really dead set on not killing
Dettlaff
at first but as I went further in the main quest I kind of just got tired of his immature bullshit. Like,
your girl screwed you over man, deal with it. Don't burn the whole fucking city down over this
, jeez.

He wound up kind of reminding me of
one of those self-proclaimed "nice guys" who get rejected and then goes on some weird misogynistic tirade or something

Man the Skellige night water looks much worse with the new shader. I also have seen any super still variant of the current.

Yeah it's just like a turquoise sheet. I don't know why the water in the game is so wildly inconsistent looking when most of everything else looks so damn good. Hopefully they tweak the new shaders in a patch because it looks really weird at certain times.

grimmiq

Finally finished my replay of the Death March base game + HoS, now into Blood and Wine, looks gorgeous. Still missing a couple of Gwent cards this time through, I think I forgot to play against barbers (2 missing in Velen, 2 in Skellige). Annoyed I apparently missed a trophy in HoS by missing 1 memory, still have a save before the start of the quest so probably lower the difficulty way down and burn through it just for the trophy.

SeanTSC

Dettlaff
at first but as I went further in the main quest I kind of just got tired of his immature bullshit. Like,
your girl screwed you over man, deal with it. Don't burn the whole fucking city down over this
, jeez.

one of those self-proclaimed "nice guys" who get rejected and then goes on some weird misogynistic tirade or something

Heh, shit, you're right. I didn't really want to kill him, but the game pretty much forced me to. Now I don't feel so bad.

Does the world contain many unmarked quests? I'm not too keen on other stuff like treasure hunts, guarded treasures, nests, etc.

IMO one of the biggest upgrades in B&W is how the POIs have been handled. There are fair number of new variations on them and a lot feed into different quest chains and end up being linked. I would definitely recommend doing at least a a few.

I hope the they fix the vineyard bug where stuff doesn't finish building, because the herb garden was one of the two things left that never finished building. And I still can't find enough red mutagens to round out my build.

Once I unlocked
the mutagen table below the vineyard that let me turn monster mutagens into generics
I never wanted for Great Red Mutagens again.

Stoze

Sounds like Guillame to me, and probably most of the knights in Toussaint

iLLmAtlc

IMO one of the biggest upgrades in B&W is how the POIs have been handled. There are fair number of new variations on them and a lot feed into different quest chains and end up being linked. I would definitely recommend doing at least a a few.

Once I unlocked
the mutagen table below the vineyard that let me turn monster mutagens into generics
I never wanted for Great Red Mutagens again.

Thanks, I'll probably give them a whirl.

Coreda

They changed it? Nooo ):

Posted about it in the 1.20 patch thread with comparison screenshots. It was quite disappointing at first as the water in general and during the daytime is an improvement.

From the response over in the CDPR forums it's due to both relying on global lighting rather than artificial lighting, and also that any cloud/storm coverage will also dull the available light reflections, but I agree it's a step down from what we've become familiar with in Skellige at night, at least in such conditions.

Dettlaff
, jeez.

Vampires pretty much consider humans as cattles, yar? So
Detlaff doing that is more akin to a guy going on a pity eat inna steak restaurant after his pet ran away or somesuch, to the dismay of Regis the vegetarian.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Posted about it in the 1.20 patch thread with comparison screenshots. It was quite disappointing at first as the water in general and during the daytime is an improvement.

From the response over in the CDPR forums it's due to both relying on global lighting rather than artificial lighting, and also that any cloud/storm coverage will also dull the available light reflections, but I agree it's a step down from what we've become familiar with in Skellige at night, at least in such conditions.

Yeah, it's a shame, because the water shader seems better but in certain locations falls to pieces at night. The old night water was nothing special, but the weird turquoise underglow looks so unnatural and diminishes clarity on the surface. The new shader also seems to prioritise always having some wave bounce even under placid conditions. And while the water motion does look nice, I miss the conditional still surfaces. I've got some great memories particularly in Velen sailing along a river or small body of water to a rugged, twiggy forest ruin on the horizon, the sailboat gracefully sliding across eerily still waters, reflections ever so gently shimmering, as the sun sets. No wind, no disturbance. For a game like The Witcher those moments worked really, really well towards the overall themes and aesthetic.

The shader/motion change has its benefits but more for Toussant. I wish they hadn't come across to the base game.

Stoze

Vampires pretty much consider humans as cattles, yar? So
Detlaff doing that is more akin to a guy going on a pity eat inna steak restaurant after his pet ran away or somesuch, to the dismay of Regis the vegetarian.

Also Regis saying
"you would do the same for Yennefer" rang hollow to me. The Geralt I played would not kill 5 people thought to be innocent for a murky chance to save his lover, he would find an alternative.

He would however gladly kill 5 innocent people if it meant getting a new Gwent card

Coreda

And while the water motion does look nice, I miss the conditional still surfaces.

Mmm. Posted a GIF in that same link a few posts up where I show the Novigrad moat water which is as wavy as a strong current. Makes no sense but I guess they wanted more wave physics everywhere, something they said originally didn't make it initially into the final release (though I can't imagine they meant like this :p).

Also Regis saying
"you would do the same for Yennefer" rang hollow to me. The Geralt I played would not kill 5 people thought to be innocent for a murky chance to save his lover, he would find an alternative.

He would however gladly kill 5 innocent people if it meant getting a new Gwent card

Tru DAT

EatChildren

Off topic, but does anybody else have trouble using the MeditationUIChange mod? I can't boot with it, getting the following error dump;

Error [content0]game\gameplay\focus\focus.ws(202): Function 'LogWithName' does not take 1 param(s)
Error [content0]game\gameplay\focus\focus.ws(262): Function 'LogWithName' does not take 1 param(s)
Error [content0]game\gui\menus\gwintgamemenu.ws(105): Function 'LogWithName' does not take 1 param(s)
Error [content0]game\player\states\vehicles\horseriding.ws(44): Function 'LogWithName' does not take 1 param(s)
Error [content0]game\player\states\vehicles\sailing.ws(56): Function 'LogWithName' does not take 1 param(s)
Error [content0]game\player\states\playerdialogstate.ws(46): Function 'LogWithName' does not take 1 param(s)
Error [content0]game\player\states\aimthrow.ws(39): Function 'LogWithName' does not take 1 param(s)
Error [content0]game\player\states\combat.ws(123): Function 'LogWithName' does not take 1 param(s)
Error [content0]game\player\states\exploration.ws(55): Function 'LogWithName' does not take 1 param(s)
Error [content0]game\player\states\swimming.ws(247): Function 'LogWithName' does not take 1 param(s)

Warning [content0]engine\telemetrykeyword.ws(9): Native function 'Log' was not exported from class 'CR4TelemetryScriptProxy' in C++ code.
Warning [content0]engine\environment.ws(25): Global native function 'EnableDebugOverlayFilter' was not exported from C++ code.
Warning [content0]engine\environment.ws(27): Global native function 'EnableDebugPostProcess' was not exported from C++ code.
Warning [content0]engine\showflags.ws(9): Global native function 'DebugSetEShowFlag' was not exported from C++ code.

Combat/alch crossover at endgame completely trivializes combat, even on death march. And for no other reason than that Euphoria is completely ridiculous. Do I want to do 210% more damage all the time? Sure why not, how do I do that? Oh just have 4 decoctions active all the time while taking no threshold damage. Okay.

Combine with ekhinda decoction, spam rend or whirlwind as appropriate, never die, hit everything for 20k+ from 3 meters away.

how do you have so much damage? o_O what;s your gear stats and stuff if you don't mind sharing :3

100% Done. Blood and Wine is the best expansion that i played in years. What a ride. Amazing job CD Projekt RED. This expansion alone is better than the 90% of this generation of games. Amazing

Off topic, but does anybody else have trouble using the MeditationUIChange mod? I can't boot with it, getting the following error dump;

Error [content0]game\gameplay\focus\focus.ws(202): Function 'LogWithName' does not take 1 param(s)
Error [content0]game\gameplay\focus\focus.ws(262): Function 'LogWithName' does not take 1 param(s)
Error [content0]game\gui\menus\gwintgamemenu.ws(105): Function 'LogWithName' does not take 1 param(s)
Error [content0]game\player\states\vehicles\horseriding.ws(44): Function 'LogWithName' does not take 1 param(s)
Error [content0]game\player\states\vehicles\sailing.ws(56): Function 'LogWithName' does not take 1 param(s)
Error [content0]game\player\states\playerdialogstate.ws(46): Function 'LogWithName' does not take 1 param(s)
Error [content0]game\player\states\aimthrow.ws(39): Function 'LogWithName' does not take 1 param(s)
Error [content0]game\player\states\combat.ws(123): Function 'LogWithName' does not take 1 param(s)
Error [content0]game\player\states\exploration.ws(55): Function 'LogWithName' does not take 1 param(s)
Error [content0]game\player\states\swimming.ws(247): Function 'LogWithName' does not take 1 param(s)

Warning [content0]engine\telemetrykeyword.ws(9): Native function 'Log' was not exported from class 'CR4TelemetryScriptProxy' in C++ code.
Warning [content0]engine\environment.ws(25): Global native function 'EnableDebugOverlayFilter' was not exported from C++ code.
Warning [content0]engine\environment.ws(27): Global native function 'EnableDebugPostProcess' was not exported from C++ code.
Warning [content0]engine\showflags.ws(9): Global native function 'DebugSetEShowFlag' was not exported from C++ code.

Not familiar with that one but Immersive Meditation seems to do the same thing and it works fine with the latest patch with the exception that you can't get the bonuses for sleeping at the vineyard.

Combat/alch crossover at endgame completely trivializes combat, even on death march. And for no other reason than that Euphoria is completely ridiculous. Do I want to do 210% more damage all the time? Sure why not, how do I do that? Oh just have 4 decoctions active all the time while taking no threshold damage. Okay.

Combine with ekhinda decoction, spam rend or whirlwind as appropriate, never die, hit everything for 20k+ from 3 meters away.

Uhh Maybe I'm missing something but how the hell do I access Euphoria?

Zocano

So I'm crazy and would like to replay the game but would like superficial incentives to do so and was thinking of picking up the PS4 version. Does the game play well on consoles? Have no idea how it runs/looks/feels to control. Always used M+K (and graphically, my PC is sub-par and always runs the game somewhat sluggishly).

SeanTSC

So I'm crazy and would like to replay the game but would like superficial incentives to do so and was thinking of picking up the PS4 version. Does the game play well on consoles? Have no idea how it runs/looks/feels to control. Always used M+K (and graphically, my PC is sub-par and always runs the game somewhat sluggishly).

It looks fantastic on the PS4 and after many patches it now runs very solidly. And I'd play it on a gamepad even if I had the PC version.

Uhh Maybe I'm missing something but how the hell do I access Euphoria?
it's just the second green mutagen.... do you have access to the new mutations skill system? :O could be why hehe cuz otherwise it's genuinely just the second skill.

it's my favorite also.. my whole build is basically an Alchemist major/Combat-and-Quen minor where I load the heck out of my Toxicity and basically use skills/alchemy that either increase my damage based on toxicity, increase my damage at 100% hp (not getting hit), or regen vitality on attack.

the amount of +damage from... concotions, toxicity, potions, heck even aerondight is pretty crazy.

i'm actually in the process of switching to and experimenting with a mage building instead haha just to try be creative with something different and fun. just finished my full GM Griffin set, and in the process of trying to get as many max +Sign Intensity runes as I can... going to try see how much damage I can min-max my wide-range Aard to do, and then go have fun with those new bandit castle zergs ;p

kpaadet

Can someone tell me what side quests I should complete before I start "Capture the Castle", has probably been explained but don't want to read through the entire OT.

Coreda

Speaking of the alternate ending branch, does anyone know if the item
you can pick up in the Unseen Elder cave (I think it's a vampire statue?) can be placed at the player home outside the cellar entrance, like the Reginald figurine can?
After I looted it I later forgot to check before loading up my old save.

Dice

How do you guys get the pretty AA I'm seeing in your screenshots? Is it possible on AMD?

Zojirushi

Damn I guess I'm towards in the end in that
fairy tale land. Would I have missed all of that if I had picked the other quest route (talk to Orianna)? That would be crazy.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Damn I guess I'm towards in the end in that
fairy tale land. Would I have missed all of that if I had picked the other quest route (talk to Orianna)? That would be crazy.
At that point you pretty much choose if you go the dark vampire path, or the light fantasy one.
Both are awesome in thier own way

Top Bottom