• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XNA Indie Games Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mujun

Relaxed Muscle said:
http://catalog.xna.com/en-US/GameDe...d=fd8c0f95-2af6-4109-8fb9-41e3fc60e7db&type=2

description

Welcome to 2GoVids, bringing video entertainment to your Xbox 360! Hey, I'm Rachel Star! I am a lot of things: stunt girl, producer, visionary, rapper, writer, mastermind, poet, and schizophrenic. I work with different TV shows around the world and I love creating and working on all forms of entertainment.

The fuck?

Those are the type of things that the Indy channel, dosn't need...

It doesn't need them less than it doesn't need restrictions on what you can put on there IMO.

Peer review and a rating system should be enough to keep people from buying useless shit.

mujun said:
It doesn't need them less than it doesn't need restrictions on what you can put on there IMO.

Peer review and a rating system should be enough to keep people from buying useless shit.
You'd think a playable demo would be enough.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Relaxed Muscle said:
http://catalog.xna.com/en-US/GameDe...d=fd8c0f95-2af6-4109-8fb9-41e3fc60e7db&type=2

description

Welcome to 2GoVids, bringing video entertainment to your Xbox 360! Hey, I'm Rachel Star! I am a lot of things: stunt girl, producer, visionary, rapper, writer, mastermind, poet, and schizophrenic. I work with different TV shows around the world and I love creating and working on all forms of entertainment.

The fuck?

I just downloaded it...you get your choice of three videos to watch, none of which are available unless you pay 80 points.

Sometimes I feel like strangling some of these people. :lol

Relaxed Muscle said:

description

The fuck?

Anyway I bought Avatar Golf, an it's pretty cool, but I have two complaints, first the swing animation, indeed it's bad, not a big deal since I hardly pay attention, but it dosn't feeels right, and the coloring green it's not intuitive enough, maybe I'll hae the grasp of it with more time, but right now, its hard figuring it out...

Putting is the hardest part of Avatar Golf. Greens are a bit difficult to read but with enough play time you can learn what works and be putting for birdies pretty often if you've had a good approach onto the green. Try the course editor!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hey, I'm curious. If you get the XNA membership, do you also get access to the peer reviewing backend?

I don't really have a need to port game code to the 360 at the moment, but I wouldn't mind checking out/being a part of the process of "certification".

firehawk12 said:
Ah, awesome. Cheers. :)

You might try contacting some creators that have put out great games and let them know you have a membership and would be willing to help test their games...if that is something you'd like to do.

Noogy

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, I wouldn't mind doing that. There's this thread, of course, but where do developers usually hang out?
Keep in mind that not all XNA developers put up their games for playtesting. Some of them do it privately, and you may never get a chance to give feedback.

Noogy

barkers crest said:
Dean, have you heard back from the XNA team yet?

If I have, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to talk about it :) If I haven't, I'm sure I wish I had :)

Either way, still coding away!

todayzee

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I've been playing through and rating the last 20 or so indie games the past few days. They seem to really be coming out too often now, and more than ever there's a lot of crap to wade through. They really should do something to limit the releases to 1 a day or something, throw out the obvious garbage, but I realize that would just lead to conflict. Some of the latest trial versions are a JOKE because they don't let you see/do ANYTHING. I realize that with some of these "apps" any demo at all is "giving away the store" but if that's all you've got you probably shouldn't have released anything. Any indie release whose demo doesn't allow anything other than basically "Buy Now" will be getting 1-star from me.

There isn't really a way for us to throw out "obvious garbage". If the game is broken or offensive in some way Peer Review has been super successful in catching it. We try to help balance it out with the eight minute trials and (at last!) user ratings. So, thank you for rating, buying, and playing Indie Games!

You guys have a point with the lack of demo with some of the games. We're looking into making a rule to prevent this. We never anticipated that people would NOT want to show off their game :p

xxoo

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Noogy said:
Keep in mind that not all XNA developers put up their games for playtesting. Some of them do it privately, and you may never get a chance to give feedback.

Hrm, yeah. I can understand why some people wouldn't want to put their stuff out there until it was completely ready.

todayzee said:
There isn't really a way for us to throw out "obvious garbage". If the game is broken or offensive in some way Peer Review has been super successful in catching it. We try to help balance it out with the eight minute trials and (at last!) user ratings.

Let's be honest here. There are products on IG that are so poor that they harm the "brand" as a whole and may turn off potential customers from even trying ANY IG in the future. In a perfect world, someone would evaluate these things and judge them "suitable for release" or not. I'm not just talking about questionable content or bugginess, but judging whether the product has any redeeming merit past that. However, as I said, I realize that there would be great problems with this because people would argue over "who gets to decide?" and the fact that most people's trash may be one man's treasure. So I totally understand why these things aren't filtered. I just wish they were.

todayzee said:
You guys have a point with the lack of demo with some of the games. We're looking into making a rule to prevent this. We never anticipated that people would NOT want to show off their game

Most of the ones who don't show off their games have very little to show. They are, in most cases, the major offenders of what I discussed above. Their app has so little merit or content that they know a trial would sour any chances of a sale. My initial impression upon encountering one of these types of apps is that the author is a swindler trying to pull a "fast one". Whether that is true or not is hard to gauge, since I would never give them my money to find out.

Don't get the wrong impression. I love XB Indie games. I want it to be as healthy as it can be. It's just that a torrent of poor, unfiltered games is what killed the Atari 2600 and almost the industry. I'd hate to see the same fate befall IG.

mujun

Noogy said:
Finally, Fishing Girl has made it to the service :) It has been an absolute joy to playtest this game. Easily one of my favorite Indie titles.

And it's only 80 points, I hope they make a nice wad of cash. I feel like they deserve it.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
acm2000 said:
ah you saying the devs dont deserve a whole dollar if you enjoy the game?

No. I'm just saying it's a free flash game.

It's not a value judgement, it's just... a fact.

Noogy

I also give a hearty thumbs up to Pixel Man. Pure unadulterated platforming.

It might be hard to get out of the demo, but the levels get better as you're forced to explore.

question for game makers, I've programed in pascal have limited exp with C+ but created a ton of stuff back when basic was popular, how different is XNA from these?

Intruder_qc

Neo Member
Scottlarock said:
question for game makers, I've programed in pascal have limited exp with C+ but created a ton of stuff back when basic was popular, how different is XNA from these?

If you have programming experience I think it should be not too difficult to learn the XNA framework. You will first need to learn C# though which is similar to C/C++/Java in its syntax.

You can check the following site for learning C# (ive read the PDF myself and I found it very good)
http://www.csharpcourse.com/

Then move on to creators.xna.com to tried the XNA tutorials which will teach you the basic.
http://creators.xna.com/en-US/education/gettingstarted

Also they have several books you can buy from Amazon or other book stores that teaches XNA.

Have fun learning and building your first game ;-).

Noogy said:
I also give a hearty thumbs up to Pixel Man. Pure unadulterated platforming.

It might be hard to get out of the demo, but the levels get better as you're forced to explore.

Bullshit. It's blind jumping toward off-screen hazards. It's not pure platforming, it's pure second-guessing by the end. :lol

It also had a nasty habit of not recognizing jumps too close to the edge of platforms.

Brakara

GDJustin said:
So what's on XBL indie isn't the same as the flash game I played this spring?

I liked the flash game, so if it's expanded I'd consider a purchase.

Check the link. It's not an expansion or even the same game. It's just made from the same challenge rules. At the very least, check out the XBL Indie trial.

StAidan

Pixel Man makes my personal "top list" of indie games... once in a while you just need an unforgiving retro platformer.

I'm hoping to have my game ready for the service within a month or so. I'm being laid off in November though, so a fair amount of my time is going toward job searching right now.

I put a little post on my website blog about this. Pretty cool. :D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
barkers crest said:
I put a little post on my website blog about this. Pretty cool. :D

You really should consider starting to extend your tendrils towards indie development for XBLA. Not that your XNA stuff is anything less than great, but I think you know as well as I do that if Avatar Golf had been released on XBLA as-is, you'd be a hundred thousand-aire right now.

Stumpokapow said:
You really should consider starting to extend your tendrils towards indie development for XBLA. Not that your XNA stuff is anything less than great, but I think you know as well as I do that if Avatar Golf had been released on XBLA as-is, you'd be a hundred thousand-aire right now.

Thanks man! To do that I'd have to partner up with an artist Jonathan Blow style.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, it looks like the MSDN memberships only let you deploy games to the console, not test other people's stuff.

That's kind of disappointing. I can understand charging for people to submit games for review, but even for testing?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I don't understand the appeal of Fishing Girl...Miner Dig Deep was awesomely addicting, but the fishing one seems kinda linear and somewhat boring. Is the full game better?

mujun

chubigans said:
I don't understand the appeal of Fishing Girl...Miner Dig Deep was awesomely addicting, but the fishing one seems kinda linear and somewhat boring. Is the full game better?

I really liked it, my wife did too (she's not a gamer by any means). Still it isn't nearly as complex or long lasting miner dig deep.

chubigans said:

It's not a Miner Dig Deep, but it's very charming, and has a lot of polish. I accidentally skipped the intro when I played, so getting one of the badges surprised me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom