• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is no Xbox 'Series S'

GHG

The cheap price of the Series S still won't impact the sales of the PlayStation 5, because it will be nullified by the system's weak level of power. People will rather pay $399 for the PlayStation 5 digital for a full, proper next-gen experience.

Realistically the PS5 digital wont be $399 though.

Megatron

What makes you say that? That's been the rumored price for months, and I'm willing to bet that Sony is willing to sell it that cheap in order to pull in as many adopters as possible as quickly as possible.

The only thing that makes me doubt it is that Sony hasn’t announced a price yet. If they can do $399.99 which was the price of the PS4, why not just announce it and be done with it?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
The only thing that makes me doubt it is that Sony hasn’t announced a price yet. If they can do $399.99 which was the price of the PS4, why not just announce it and be done with it?

Because even though they are willing to go that low, they won't go that low if they don't have to do so. For example, if Microsoft were to price the Xbox Series X at $549.99, then Sony would price the PlayStation 5 Standard Edition at $499.99 and the Digital Edition at $449.99.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
The cheap price of the Series S still won't impact the sales of the PlayStation 5, because it will be nullified by the system's weak level of power. People will rather pay $399 for the PlayStation 5 digital for a full, proper next-gen experience.
Think it depends on

A) The price
B) What's included

Will it be $299.99 with 12-months of Game Pass Ultimate? Then that's a striking value proposition. Of course it it's $399 (let's assume for this example that XSX is $499) and includes nothing, then yeah, of course it's a waste of time. Or maybe Series X and PS5 are $599 and S is $349, even without Gamepass. That's a huge amount of money to most people.

Also keep in mind Microsoft's installment plan, of which I forget to name of right now, but it's basically been confirmed to apply to next-gen as well. So you pay $30/month for Series X with GamePass, or you can pay $20 for Series S. Something like that.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
What makes you say that? That's been the rumored price for months, and I'm willing to bet that Sony is willing to sell it that cheap in order to pull in as many adopters as possible as quickly as possible.
I don't think Sony knows the price with certainty right now. They are waiting for MS on this.

But if they were comfortable selling it at $400 I am pretty sure they would have already. Doesn't mean they won't if MS puts the pressure on but it's not Plan A.

I think this two SKU plan from MS is gonna backfire. I know they are thinking it will be simple to just downscale 4K games to 1080p to hit both SKUs but that limits now people approach the new hardware. What if they wanted to push the Series X at lower resolutions and see what they could do? It's going to be a burden.

Golgo 13

DynamiteCop! DynamiteCop! right now:

ForsakenIdolizedGibbon-size_restricted.gif
DC

tenor.gif

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Think it depends on

A) The price
B) What's included

Will it be $299.99 with 12-months of Game Pass Ultimate? Then that's a striking value proposition. Of course it it's $399 (let's assume for this example that XSX is $499) and includes nothing, then yeah, of course it's a waste of time. Or maybe Series X and PS5 are $599 and S is $349, even without Gamepass. That's a huge amount of money to most people.

Also keep in mind Microsoft's installment plan, of which I forget to name of right now, but it's basically been confirmed to apply to next-gen as well. So you pay $30/month for Series X with GamePass, or you can pay $20 for Series S. Something like that.

Recent news has indicated that most people who intend to get a next-gen console are intending on getting a PlayStation 5. So, none of Microsoft's tactics will work anyway, especially if Sony sells the PlayStation 5 at a reasonable price.

Golgo 13

Recent news has indicated that most people who intend to get a next-gen console are intending on getting a PlayStation 5. So, none of Microsoft's tactics will work anyway, especially if Sony sells the PlayStation 5 at a reasonable price.
What's a "reasonable price" to you during a global recession?

Zoro7

Banned
Nothing, because it's not something that's going to exist in the way people are thinking. We're talking stuff that came to light in 2018 with veiled context, no one even knows what that actually means, it's hypothesized.

We already know Series X hardware will be going into the xCloud server farms, what if that codename was the indicator of that? There's so many other directions this could have taken that doesn't result in some second console, hell it could be an old and dead concept.

Do you remember Anthem? That's the codename of Xbox One S hardware in the xCloud beta server farms. All I'm seeing is misconstrued and outdated information which has gone well beyond its expiration date.
Lol the state of this guy. Literally everything he says is wrong. Very entertaining though.

GHG

Educated guess.

Call me "insider".

🙂

But seriously we need to wait and see. If I had to guess I'd go with $450-$500.

Because it makes no sense for Sony.
A $399 Digital Ps5 would make a $499 Ps5 a super bad value proposition.
It also would make Sony lose between $50 and $80 on each console. And for what?
People buy digital anyways. Your upside in digital sales, that would've been physical otherwise is maybe 10%
There is a percentage you won't convert to digital nevertheless and there is a huge percentage who will buy digital even if they have to buy a $499 Ps5 with disk drive.

DavidGzz

Why would you buy the S if you already had the X though?

I take a console or PC to work every day. The Series S will most likely be smaller so transport will be easier and I won't need the extra power since the monitors at work are 1080p. Hell, I can even leave it in my locker and play my XSX at home. At $199 it would be a no brainer to not have to unplug my XSX every day and jostle it around. Game Pass on the go. IF MS wasn't dragging their feet on Xcloud coming to windows, I wouldn't have to do it. I have no interest on playing games on a small phone screen.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I take a console or PC to work every day. The Series S will most likely be smaller so transport will be easier and I won't need the extra power since the monitors at work are 1080p. Hell, I can even leave it in my locker and play my XSX at home. At $199 it would be a no brainer to not have to unplug my XSX every day and jostle it around. Game Pass on the go. IF MS wasn't dragging their feet on Xcloud coming to windows, I wouldn't have to do it. I have no interest on playing games on a small phone screen.
Why on earth would you take a game console to work with you every day?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Because it makes no sense for Sony.
A $399 Digital Ps5 would make a $499 Ps5 a super bad value proposition.
It also would make Sony lose between $50 and $80 on each console. And for what?
People buy digital anyways. Your upside in digital sales, that would've been physical otherwise is maybe 10%
There is a percentage you won't convert to digital nevertheless and there is a huge percentage who will buy digital even if they have to buy a $499 Ps5 with disk drive.

I don't agree. I think that Sony's plan is for the PlayStation 5 Digital Edition to comprise the majority of PlayStation 5 units that will be sold, since the Digital Edition will force users to buy their games from the PlayStation Store, where Sony earns a larger profit per game that is sold relative to physical copies.

Hence, I think that Sony wants the Standard Edition to be perceived as a bad-value by most gamers but has made it available for the minority that are physical-media collectors, whom they know will pay the premium for the Standard Edition (I'm such a person).

I also think that this is the reason that the Standard Edition looks asymmetrical and relatively unattractive to most people.

Last edited:

KRYPT83

This thread was reminiscent of a flat-earther. "I don't care how much evidence there is, I've convinced myself, therefore it is true".
Don't miss the chance to ask a flat earther how many people have fell off the earth will all this social distancing 🤔 I kid I kid

I don't agree. I think that Sony's plan is for the PlayStation 5 Digital Edition to comprise the majority of PlayStation 5 units that will be sold, since the Digital Edition will force users to buy their games from the PlayStation Store, where Sony earns a larger profit per game that is sold relative to physical copies.

Hence, I think that Sony wants the Standard Edition to be perceived as a bad-value by most gamers but has made it available for the minority that are physical-media collectors, whom they know will pay the premium for the Standard Edition (I'm such a person).

I also think that this is the reason that the Standard Edition looks asymmetrical and relatively unattractive to most people.

As I said. Why force them and lose $80 doing that, when people will buy most form the PSN Store anyways?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
As I said. Why force them and lose $80 doing that, when people will buy most form the PSN Store anyways?

Because the people who were going to buy digital anyway won't see it as being forced, they'll see it as saving money by removing something they don't need and they may well end up spending that extra cash on a "free" game.

Also, you can't get a new 4K Blu Ray player for less than $100, so it really isn't bad value for the minority of physical collectors. I'd pay $550 for a disc version over a $400 digital if I really had to, though through gritted teeth.

BluRayHiDef

Banned

Losing money to push hardware is typical, so it shouldn't be surprising that Sony would do so with the PS5. Furthermore, the Bill of Materials (BOM) for the PS5 is $450, according to Forbes. However, Forbes hasn't specified whether that is the BOM for the Digital Edition or Standard Edition; hence, we can say that Sony would be losing $50 at most on each Digital Edition sold at $399.99, which they could make up with software sales in a year or less.

Also, Sony would be able to minimize (thouugh not eliminate) the loss on each Digital Edition with each Standard Edition sold at $499.99.

sainraja

Desk job. 6 monitors in front of me with HDMI ins. Downtime unless we are getting calls=gaming time. It makes Game Pass amazing for me. Xcloud on my work PC would be even better. I've also been using GE Force Now a lot there too.

How did you convince your boss to allow you to do that? haha ;)

I thought the series S will be $199?

If Lockhart/Series S is more than $249 it's dead on arrival. At $299 for a Series S, you might as well spend $100-$150 more on a PS5 Digital Edition. Obviously Sony is going to price the DE at $50-$100 less than the regular one with a 4K blu-ray disc player. Sony will "lock" those more price-conscience gamers with a 4K TV looking for the less expensive true next-gen console, probably your typical PS4 owner but those not fiercely loyal to Sony, that the PS5 DE is less money upfront than Xbox Series X, is BC with their PS4 digital games and many games they missed on PS4 that they won't mind buying digitally.

BGs

Industry Professional
Maybe I'm late. But Xbox is the brand. Microsoft is the manufacturer. The rest is the model or version.

MiguelItUp

Not seeing this thread when it was originally posted and then seeing that recent news about the controller makes all of this hysterical, lol.

Lets face it, if the price of PS5 (any version) would be $399, you would have already heard that months ago from official sources. No price announced == expensive! $499 - $599 most likely.

$199 - $299 Series S will sell very well in this pandemic world of today.

Top Bottom