• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is the pitch for Fable 4 that Microsoft rejected [Eurogamer report]

GHG

Gold Member
the funniest part is $75million on fable legends...thats some waste of cash.

the article is really good though, really highlights the ridiculousness in corporations "these games only gave us 3 times returns" we want more.

As Jim Sterling says about AAA publishers, they don't want money..they want ALL the money

And that is why a lot of AAA games over the last generation or so have lacked creativity. When your first thought is how to make more money instead of prioritising making a quality product then it ends up stifling creativity.

Kind of explains this:
zl10SZ0.jpg

Wiat, why's until dawn on the ps3 list?

The_Lump

Banned
Just read like, 1 post back in the conversation dude. I explained this fairly clearly ;) "Darker and Grittier" is not the same as "Dark and Gritty". Being darker and grittier than Fable 1 - 3 can still leave plenty of scope for the usual silliness and fun.

However, he since replied that he doesn't think it should be any darker or grittier - which is fair enough (its subjective of course)

Oh, fair enough, yeah, I agree.
A major aspect of Marketings job is essentially based on reinforcing preconceptions.

Yup. They are only doing their job. Just so happens that morally that job is not something many would be ok with doing at times.

If you're dumb enough to believe this story which is full of holes.

You know more than a vetted journalistic outlet?

To be clear, it's not like places such as Eurogamer are above things like this, but if you are gonna sling that line about lies, you'd better bring some truth to the table to support your side. Elsewise, it reeks of defending your favorite company.

"They were going, you can't have a black person on the cover, and you can't have a woman. And you want a black woman. And I was like, yes, I do, because it's about be whatever hero you want. No. It's a white guy. That's just the way it is. We know what sells and that's fucking it. Stop the arguing. I was like, fuck you! That was a huge fight.

"They said, what's the most unsuccessful Disney film? I was like, I don't know. They went, Princess and the Frog. Work it out."

This is every argument with every marketing department at every US-based AAA studio ever. It's not anything new or anything unique to Microsoft. Whenever you see a game whose marketing or protagonist doesn't heavily feature 20-something white dude, it's because someone won this argument against the publishing/marketing people - not because this argument didn't happen.

Thabass

I feel like MS could've tested with a "remastering" of Fable's 1-3 on the XB1 and seeing how it would have been received. If it would have sold well then there would have been no doubt to have 4 made instead of whatever Legends was supposed to be (not a Fable game). Damn if this doesn't sounds awesome though, would have been day 1 for me. Love me some Fable

Also hasn't Lionheads motto always been to overpromise and underdeliver? Or was that just 1?

No that's Peter Molyneux's philosophy.

If you didn't own a Kinect and didn't like Halo, Gears, and Forza you might as well have sold your console for a PS3. After 2010 the 360 was in dire shape.

I did exactly this. Xbox 360 died after Halo 4 in my opinion.

barit

And that's why I don't like MS as publisher. Way too much "make me more money or I cancel your shit" attitude. Yes all companies have cancelled big projects and games in their past but where is the mentality to push the medium forward (not only profit wise) here? I like Sony's approach much better "8 out of 10 games won't be profitable for us but that's okay as long as the other two will make us the big cash".

True facts; every cancelled game is the best game ever. Quality comes from execution.
It also comes from history, of which I've thoroughly enjoyed Lionhead's games (save for the Kinect shite). Given the amount of time that they'd have liked and the budget, I have no doubt it would have been great.

And that's why I don't like MS as publisher. Way too much "make me more money or I cancel your shit" attitude. Yes all companies have cancelled big projects and games in their past but where is the mentality to push the medium forward (not only profit wise) here? I like Sony's approach much better "8 out of 10 games won't be profitable for us but that's okay as long as the other two will make us the big cash".

It's obvious by now that Microsoft is not a company that gives Devs a lot of creative freedom. Xbox is just there so that they can stay relevant in people's daily home media consumption.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Microsoft has gotten really bad at copying other companies. Copying itself isn't bad. It's just the nature of things. I don't think anyone has ever accused Microsoft of being innovative and original. They copy with pride and standardise. Like they made their core business.

But, trying to go Valve's route with games as a service or Apple's route with an appstores has really blown up in their face. Forcing that square peg into the round hole isn't a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

It's obvious by now that Microsoft is not a company that gives Devs a lot of creative freedom. Xbox is just there so that they can stay relevant in people's daily home media consumption.
Sony also wants people to consume media through their console. Nintendo is the only one that's purely there for gaming.

Sylas

Oh, fair enough, yeah, I agree.
A major aspect of Marketings job is essentially based on reinforcing preconceptions.

I'd say that the most succesful marketing campaigns in recent memory have spawned out of actively challenging the existing preconceptions and creating a new "status quo." Hearty breakfast? 100% the result of marketing. Gendered colors for babies? 100% the result of marketing.

These norms only existed because someone decided to begin heavily marketing them. Hell, Budweiser changed the idea that beer should be served at room temperature because of their marketing.

Keeping the status quo means you don't know how to do your job or don't have the freedom to do your job better. The unfortunate reality is that most marketing positions aren't give the vertical freedom to expand a consumer base because it's "good enough" for the shareholders in the immediate reality.

It doesn't make most marketing any less scummy, but it stands the greatest chance at changing consumer perceptions.

Even the execution of the previous 3 games to this concept would have been great. Not only that, but MS had a studio that was excited about churning out the fourth straight game in a series. Just wow. Maybe if Spencer had taken over a few years earlier...

hemo memo

"They were going, you can't have a black person on the cover, and you can't have a woman. And you want a black woman. And I was like, yes, I do, because it's about be whatever hero you want. No. It's a white guy. That's just the way it is. We know what sells and that's fucking it. Stop the arguing. I was like, fuck you! That was a huge fight.

"They said, what's the most unsuccessful Disney film? I was like, I don't know. They went, Princess and the Frog. Work it out. I was like fuck you, man. I hated it.

"I was screaming at them in conference calls. I lost it at that point, because they just weren't getting the game. Especially because we were the first ever game that had gay marriage, we were about breaking down walls. It was meant to be funny and mature. They just took none of it and just did the usual white guy with a sword on the front. Damn it! You missed the point!"

p02cbmhd.jpg

I don't know if this is the problem of Microsoft or this is what the market buys. Becuase if they say we know what sells then they have sales data and not talking out of thin air.

Apathy

This is every argument with every marketing department at every US-based AAA studio ever. It's not anything new or anything unique to Microsoft. Whenever you see a game whose marketing or protagonist doesn't heavily feature 20-something white dude, it's because someone won this argument against the publishing/marketing people - not because this argument didn't happen.

The problem is sometimes it feels like companies do this to avoid the loud racist minority that expresses their hate over the internet.

Look at that recent old Navy ad that had a mixed race couple on it. Geeze people went nuts.

We already know a big portion of the children and man babies that play this game like dropping n bombs and calling women bitches all over the place, and sometimes it feels a company would rather not face these jerkwads head on and force them to deal with it. They would rather just not agitate the hive. Ignoring a problem like this doesn't make it better and doesn't fix the problem. If internally a company is having these arguments and the company itself is the one fighting to not have diversity in a game (or in this case, the cover), how can we hope our community of gamers gets better.

"They said, what's the most unsuccessful Disney film? I was like, I don't know. They went, Princess and the Frog. Work it out. I was like fuck you, man. I hated it.

"I was screaming at them in conference calls. I lost it at that point, because they just weren't getting the game. Especially because we were the first ever game that had gay marriage, we were about breaking down walls. It was meant to be funny and mature. They just took none of it and just did the usual white guy with a sword on the front. Damn it! You missed the point!"

p02cbmhd.jpg
Holy fucking nuts in Christmas socks. What is this Microsoft. Wow.

"They said, what's the most unsuccessful Disney film? I was like, I don't know. They went, Princess and the Frog. Work it out."
CVPnUv.gif

I honestly don't get why they never went with this idea. Gritty London with Fable inspired mythos? I'd have bought it Day One, even after the shamblolic Fable 3. Mirroring what others have said, Sony needs to get the Liohead team and intergrate them with Ready at Dawn for the Victiorian-Era game we've always dreamed of.

flkraven

Had they just green-lit this I'd be sitting here with a Fable 4 preorder. Instead they piss away $75 million on a game no one wanted, never release it, and close down the studio. Fucking morons running Microsoft in 2011/12.

Trup1aya

Damn, this is kinda sickening...

I think a fable legends style game could have worked... But to think that the studio threw a shit ton of money at a ftp (which should be cheaply made) when they had this amazing pitch sitting on the desk is just.... Wtf

The executives cost these people their jobs...

Ehker

Since Princess and the Frog didn't even come out until a year later, could this article be mistaken and it's about the Fable 3 cover?

Sylas

I don't know if this is the problem of Microsoft or this is what the market buys. Becuase if they say we know what sells then they have sales data and not talking out of thin air.

I always point to WoW as a good example. The players are given the freedom to create what they want, and last I checked either at least 40% of the game's population is comprised of female characters. That's not an insignificant chunk of the playerbase.

It's what the market buys because it's what's available to them. Many games starring female characters or POC characters don't sell well because they aren't very good games to begin with. It has little to do with the gender or skin color of the characters at play.

This confuses me because the lead in says it's about Fable 2, but Fable 2 released in 2008 and Princess and the Frog was a 2009 movie.

Also what does this mean

"John McCormack remembers butting heads with Microsoft's marketing department over Fable.

"The marketing was shit," he says. "It was terrible. They just didn't get it. But it wasn't Microsoft's marketing. Marketing was like its own department. "

It was Microsoft's marketing and not XBOX?

The dark and gritty direction of Fable 4 would have made sense considering 3 was getting into dark territory with child labor, social class, killing your own brother (if you wanted to), etc.

There's nothing wrong with Gears looking like Gears. What the hell else do you want? Changing it at this point would be a misstep. You don't just completely change a franchise to the point that it no longer resembles the originals that were popular.

They made enough big changes to Halo 5 (which I love still) and people went nuts.
I wanted that new IP.

SeanTSC

Crazy disappointed. A full proper Fable game would have made me buy an Xbox One and I really enjoyed Fable 1-3. Fable Legends and "Games as a Service" is some gutter trash bullshit and it sucks so hard they went down that stupid, shitty road and closed the studio.

Zebei

I'd have canned that too. But if the options were this and legends, I would have easily ate those words and green-lighted this.

Pretty much this. Obviously we don't have every nuance of what Fable 4 would be but that sounds like it wouldn't work too well. I would have loved it personally but that's besides the point.

But fuck that shit that came after this pitch. Rest In Peace, Lionhead you poor lost souls.

demigod

Even the execution of the previous 3 games to this concept would have been great. Not only that, but MS had a studio that was excited about churning out the fourth straight game in a series. Just wow. Maybe if Spencer had taken over a few years earlier...

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't Spencer THE head of MS Studios? He probably canned this, I would've done the same.

Fuchsdh

You know more than a vetted journalistic outlet?

To be clear, it's not like places such as Eurogamer are above things like this, but if you are gonna sling that line about lies, you'd better bring some truth to the table to support your side. Elsewise, it reeks of defending your favorite company.

As has been pointed out, Fable 2 came out more than a year before The Princess and the Frog released in theaters. There's also no black female characters in Fable 2 who would merit the cover (I can't think of *any* in the game, at all). It's entirely possible he's misremembering things, or misspeaking, or conflating different events—maybe this was about Fable 3, or Fable 1, which both have black female characters. But right now common sense contradicts his story. And yeah, if you haven't noticed, most game journalists are overly credulous, especially when it's in service of a juicy story.

Warxard

Banned

p02cbmhd.jpg

God fucking bless you Lionhead.

jelly

Problem with Microsoft, they want to make billions not 100 million. Sony want to make billions too but don't mind making a lot less profit per game to get there and take risks.

Sylas

the issue is this sounded great, the end game would have 10% of those great features.

Well, no. This wasn't a Molyneux game.

That pitch sounded bad for Fable. It should stay light hearted medieval fantasy, not turn into something like The Order.
Dude your dog died at the end of Fable 2 and the main character's entire story in Fable 1 begins because his village was slaughtered by bandits. It wasn't always light hearted, that's just the only thing people really remember.

Top Bottom