• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

VeeP

I wouldn't be so sure that's a shoe in at this point.

Yea. Understandable do to sales and Respawn possibly getting better development oppurtunties like the Star Wars IP they're working on. But if they do make it, I'll be there day one.

Arrrammis

Well, as much fun as the same "debate" going on is, it does kind of put a damper on the community. Right now, I think that the game is in a really good place. A weekly featured mode that rewards double EXP, new matchmaking that allows people to play any mode they want without sitting in matchmaking for 30 minutes, a pretty balanced set of Titans with very different playstyles and strengths, varied maps, and a really solid movement system.

There will always be weapons like the devotion, because inexperienced players should have something to give them a chance. In almost every engagement, it's easy enough to flank and execute the Devotion campers, I've found that more often than not the people only doing that strat don't know how to do anything else, so once I find their favorite spots, they're pretty much useless for the rest of the match. To be honest, if you're flying out across the middle of the map in the open, you can hardly be surprised if you get shot. It's frustrating when someone using G2 or Devotion kills you at close range, but usually that only happens when I miss a ton of shots or they get the drop on me, in which case they could have killed me with any weapon.

I think that some people need to step back and appreciate how so many playstyles are viable, but also can be countered. Players can find a spot to crouch with a Devotion, but an accurate player can pull out a Kraber and cross-map them straight through their A-wall. Then, someone stim slide-hopping at 200 mph comes up behind the sniper and executes him. Then, the stimmer flies full speed straight into a Ronin sword and explodes into a red mist, and the cycle continues. Just because you enjoy a playstyle and think that that playstyle is the only one that requires skill doesn't mean that the devs should adjust the game to reflect that.

To start a kind of change of topic for the positive, what's everyone's favorite titan and why? I'll start.

Northstar is my personal favorite. The agility of the titan is fantastic, and seeing a bar and a half of health disappear from an enemy titan from a single hit is so satisfying! The cluster missle has a much larger radius than most people give it credit for, so I've gotten a surprising amount of kills just shooting it into an open window. The tether trap is really good (although I still campaign for the duration to be buffed since it can be destroyed by any amount of damage, including electric smoke), and it's really hilarious to see an enemy try to sneak around behind my team, hear the trap active, and turn to see them struggling hopelessly out in the open while my team just turns and open fire. The core and flying in general is really risky to use, and I feel like the only time I can do full core damage is against a completely stationary target, but it's still really useful against targets like pilots camping on a roof or Scorch.

SwolBro

Banned
To be honest, if you're flying out across the middle of the map in the open, you can hardly be surprised if you get shot. It's frustrating when someone using G2 or Devotion kills you at close range, but usually that only happens when I miss a ton of shots or they get the drop on me, in which case they could have killed me with any weapon.

I think that some people need to step back and appreciate how so many playstyles are viable, but also can be countered.

Just because you enjoy a playstyle and think that that playstyle is the only one that requires skill doesn't mean that the devs should adjust the game to reflect that.

Sigh.... let me try to calmly, without yelling, explain why this is not the case and why some people once attaining a certain level of skill start to hate the game.

Point 1. Considering how the maps are designed you have no choice but to "fly across the map in the open" at times. Since you glow like a bright fucking christmas tree this presents a problem.

Point 2. Guns will kill you at any range because a majority of these guns can kill you in a measly 3 bullets. The hitboxes are huge, the aim-assist is huge, it's very easy in this game to spray and get a kill.

Point 3. This argument that many different playstyles are viable is nonsense. On PC camping is less viable, so why is camping more viable on console? Because it's far easier pegging people on console than it is on PC. Making a bullshit playstyle like TURTLING viable isn't good game design, especially when a lot of effort was put into making the game highly mobile. Defensive play is already a pain in the ass when the game doesn't even provide you tools to camp, why cater to it at all?

Point 4. There is a very big difference between gun engagements in Titanfall 1 vs Titanfall 2. In Titanfall 1 everything was super fast, up close, or from afar, you had to MOVE. You either had to bounce off walls, jump over someone's head up close, or be strafing like a mad man from afar. Regardless of what range the engagement was held you had to MOVE.

This is not the case with Titanfall 2. Weapons are so strong, players are so easily pointed out, and aim-assist so sticky that someone merely crossing your reticle will net you a kill from any range. There is no escaping death in this game.

The only time i find myself honestly being shot first and living is when the other players are truly that much worse. Players of equal or closely related skill do not have this luxury. You get hit, you're most likely dead. Actual gun fights are practically gone in upper levels. That's vastly different than what Titanfall 1 had and that will drive good players mad.

In pub matches with capable players? Forget about it. It's nothing but amped weapons and millisecond deaths. There is no "omg you need to flank him" and all that dumb crap you hear from people that obviously don't know what they're talking about.

Catering to the lowest common denominator will only sink a franchise in the long run. I've always held this belief and nothing will change that. It's why we see games like Counter-Strike still thriving today and a game like Halo trying to claw it's way back to relevancy.

Deluxe edition is $31 on the PlayStation store right now, which drives me crazy because the store has never accepted my debit or credit cards. I would have to buy a $40 gift card on Amazon and then end up with $9 sitting in my wallet, which I will definitely squander on more star trek avatars or other useless bullshit.

Arrrammis

Deluxe edition is $31 on the PlayStation store right now, which drives me crazy because the store has never accepted my debit or credit cards. I would have to buy a $40 gift card on Amazon and then end up with $9 sitting in my wallet, which I will definitely squander on more star trek avatars or other useless bullshit.

Or... use that money to buy the DLC cosmetics for Titanfall 2! $7 (I think) gets you 18 camos, ~10 banners, and probably something else that I'm forgetting.

jm89

Make rooftops(the ones that are really high up and people can hide away in) inaccessible with that warning you get when you leave the map, and I feel like alot of these complaints will be gone. I could care less either way, but at least it will stop the constant bitching and moaning.

Make rooftops(the ones that are really high up and people can hide away in) inaccessible with that warning you get when you leave the map, and I feel like alot of these complaints will be gone. I could care less either way, but at least it will stop the constant bitching and moaning.

Your mistake is believing there's a single issue. It's a combination of several.

SwolBro

Banned
It's why all the top snipers are on gamepad. That clunky mouse can't hit for squat.

This thread got weird.

Oh come on Rayme. You have to know the difference between precision headshot aiming and being able to spray a moving target with aim-assist.

I swear i'm going to buy a PC and end this all right now.... if only apple didn't bomb it with the recent macbook pros.

I know, right? I'm always wrong lol. Fact is the pilot glow, over compensating aim-assist, and shitty maps have been complained about since the tech test. This isn't anything new.

doesn't matter what they fix or chnage, you'll always just find new shit to complain about. it's a you problem, not a titanfall 2 problem.

lazerfox

They should just add regular maps to it and make them 10v10 or something.

I don't think that's a good idea. It works so great because the two maps are built like an arena.

Also were would you put the flag for example on crash site? Wouldn't work really.

Gator86

Just lost with a 221 point attrition game. I'm genuinely confused how this playerbase gets to work without getting hit by cars or feeds themselves frequently enough to not starve.

Ion with zero point tripwire is amazing. I just leave tripwires in the most random places for pilots to run into. Putting one just beside the edge of a door is the best because their hitboxes are comically large and people run around so fast there's no way to avoid it.

Is Legion being unable to stop aiming down sights once his shield is activated intentional?

Almost forgot my weekly dose of whining: Sniper rifles shouldn't be in this game.

Gator86

Is Legion being unable to stop aiming down sights once his shield is activated intentional?

Almost forgot my weekly dose of whining: Sniper rifles shouldn't be in this game.

Apparently? It's been that way since the game launched and no one at Respawn has ever said anything about it. You always just have to fire once then start reloading which will let you move again. It's a really weird design choice.

Respawn, do you guys/gals play at home? What trends have you noticed? Is there something that bothers you that hasn't been mentioned?

Sniper rifles are near non existent on console due to... you guessed it! The devo, hemlok, and g2! Oh and gobs amount of aim assist!

Derp2Herp

Neo Member
junkrat style titan with an stryder chassis would be nice.

also i'd like to see a super fast arena shooter from respawn...they would kill it.

JaMarco

There is no "top loadout" anymore. You just have to practice a lot and get better at the game.

But if you want a really fast ttk gun, use the flatline.

biteren

what's a top load out? I'm getting slaughtered online.

it depends on youre prefered playstyle, 2 really good SMGS are r-97 and the Alternator, both monsters on hip fire.

obiously the R-201 is a great all around weapon that good at short and long range, not much has changed there. the Hemlok seems good despite the nerf i think and the G2 preforms better than all the sniper rifles in the game if you wanna go that route

and i hear the Devotion is still pretty good.

RIP Burn Cards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypyeVG2s6QA

-Amped DMR wasn't a damage boost, but a Sonar perk when scoped. TF2 Amped DMR = 1-shot kill at any distance
-Amped Kraber added explosive damage.
-Amped Archer was devastating but slow. TF2 after the most recent patch is just absurd. Dont really have time to react
-Amped Spitfire had a faster rate of fire and enemies exploded
-Amped P2011 was changed to a burst fire weapon
-Amped Charge Rifle had a faster charge
-Amped Side winder had increased ammo capacity and mag size

TF1 had unique ways of increasing the weapons effectiveness whereas TF2's answer was simply to damage boost everything

VeeP

Think I just had the best game of my Titanfall career. Went 20-1 in attrition, had multiple pilot and titan executions, meelee'd 2 pilots one as I ejected from my titan, damn. When this game clicks it clicks. Amazing.

SwolBro

Banned
RIP Burn Cards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypyeVG2s6QA

-Amped DMR wasn't a damage boost, but a Sonar perk when scoped. TF2 Amped DMR = 1-shot kill at any distance
-Amped Kraber added explosive damage.
-Amped Archer was devastating but slow. TF2 after the most recent patch is just absurd. Dont really have time to react
-Amped Spitfire had a faster rate of fire and enemies exploded
-Amped P2011 was changed to a burst fire weapon
-Amped Charge Rifle had a faster charge
-Amped Side winder had increased ammo capacity and mag size

TF1 had unique ways of increasing the weapons effectiveness whereas TF2's answer was simply to damage boost everything
Dealing with amped weapons in Titanfall 2 is the worst. What the hell is even the damn point? honestly?

And before anyone goes on to say "well it gives lesser players a chance" that's complete bullshit considering it rewards people that already amassed a certain amount of kills, and then you can stack them indefinitely.

It's so dumb.

It sucks Legions Smart Core has been reduced to either finishing Titans that have about a bar worth of health left or taking out annoying pilots. Ronin's Core ability isn't this bad.

Top Bottom